Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 5380 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:46:51 PM PST
i hoped people did...just someone actually answered me which I found funny...lol!

i rarely re-read, I might re-listen to an audiobook - i've done that a few times, but mostly I just don't have time now...too many good books out there

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:16:37 PM PST
K. Knight says:
Has anyone read Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon? The premise is interesting and the cover is amazing...I was just wondering if it's worth reading.

@Deanna, I got your sarcasm, too :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 7:31:03 PM PST
Haven't read it, but I completely agree that the cover is GORGEOUS. Almost worth buying just to face out on a bookshelf.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 10:28:19 PM PST
Kribu says:
I used to re-read a lot as a child - practically every book we had (and we had a lot!), some a lot more often than others. And the children's / middle-grade / YA section of our local library was tiny, so I re-read a lot of those, too.

These days there's a lot less time to read and a lot more books, so it's only the exceptional ones I re-read.

Anyway, I started Sabriel, first of the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix, last night... some of my friends really love those books. 20% in, I'm not quite sure yet what I think - well-written and intriguing, and I appreciate the author coming up with his own system of magic, but I don't think it's entirely my cup of tea. Definitely something I'd recommend to those more into fantasy, especially of the magic-using kind, though.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 12:54:35 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
When I was a kid, I had read practically every book series available for children, and I'm still reading Erin Hunter's Warriors; I finished the most recent one last week:)

Have about 75 pages left of Smoke and Bone! MUST FINISH

@Deanna lol I get your sarcasm now:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 12:55:53 PM PST
Last 75 pages of DOSAB? Oh man... Prepare to be devastated!

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 5:25:12 AM PST
I finally got around to starting Shine - i've had it for a while and kept pushing it aside, not cause i didn't want to read it, but because i knew it was likely going to be an emotional read and wasn't sure if i was in the mood - but so far so good

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 5:38:31 AM PST
Kribu says:
Shine sounds pretty interesting... too bad there's no Kindle version (at least in Europe). Something for the wish list, I suppose - maybe eventually!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 7:15:25 AM PST
maybe...you might try emailing the author and asking her...i find that sometimes works ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 7:47:26 AM PST
Kribu says:
I've tried that a few times. So far, I've got nice answers but no Kindle version has materialised in the year since or no answer at all, so... with well over 100 books in my current already bought to-read list, I think I'll just not bother.

I suspect that being a reader from a market that might maybe have a dozen readers at the most for the English ebook version isn't really enough for that strategy to work.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:59:52 AM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@Kristan- I finished it today in Health Class! I was devasated! I crave more!

TIme to read Magic Steps By Tamora Pierce! It came from a used book sale, and has a bit of a suspicous stain on the back cover...

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 7:43:11 AM PST
@Meteor Epic - ME TOO! Cannot wait for the sequel. And I'm planning to reread DOSAB as soon as it arrives on my doorstop. (A friend got it for me for Xmas -- I borrowed someone else's copy the first time.)

Btw, if anyone else reads a lot of books on Kindle, both Malinda Lo's ASH and Jaclyn Dolamore's MAGIC UNDER GLASS are less than $3 right now. I just picked up ASH (been curious about that one for a while) and am considering MAGIC UNDER GLASS.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:06:00 AM PST
Kribu says:
Magic Under Glass sounds interesting, but well over $10 for me in Europe... ~saves for later~

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 12:50:52 PM PST
kari says:
Thanks Kristan, Ash looks really good!

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 10:58:54 AM PST
Meteor Epic says:
I finished Magic Steps, which was my 1st Tamora Pierce book, and I plan to read the rest of her books :)

Crossed is even better than Matched! If you haven't read the series yet, I HIGHLY recommend it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 11:44:32 AM PST
Wow, I haven't read it myself, but most book bloggers seem to think Crossed was worse (mainly b/c nothing happens). I'm glad to know you feel differently, b/c my friends and I had pretty high hopes for it.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 12:37:25 PM PST
C. Kovacs says:
I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bones.... WOW!!!! One of the best books I have read (on-par with Hunger Games and Graceling in my opinion). I have also read that the other books by Laini Taylor are great. Another series I just finished was the Iron Fae series by Julie Kagawa. Great books.. I finished all of them in less than a week.

Just started Poison Study.... About 30% in.. Good so far... reminds me of Graceling.

Also another series I HIGHLY recommend is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. Maybe not YA but a ton of fun to read!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 1:03:04 PM PST
most people who have read Crossed here and on GR say its better than matched - at least from the ones i've seen, I tend to not pay attention to book bloggers

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 1:08:47 PM PST
T. Mlsna says:
I am currently reading Crown of Crystal Flame by C. L. Wilson. Her Tairen Soul series. love it!!!! :) :) :) not sure if it is YA... but it has no swearing and a little passion... but there are smaller intertwining stories in the series as well...

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 3:26:54 PM PST
A. Davis says:
@ T. Mlsna - I love the way everything comes together in the last Tairen Soul book. :)

@ C. Kovacs - Thanks for the heads-up on Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I just added it to my TBR pile. I really enjoyed Snyder's Study series - although I think the first book is the best. If you end up liking the books, there is another series, the Glass series, that is set in the same world. The heroine isn't quite as kick-butt as in the Study series, but I enjoyed them.

I recently finished Safe-Keeper's Secret and really enjoyed it. It's more heartwarming than full of action, and everything gets tied up almost too neatly at the end, but definitely worth reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 4:40:05 PM PST
There are certain book bloggers I trust more than others, ditto GoodReads reviewers. But there's no one I agree with 100% of the time -- sometimes not even myself. :P

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 10:58:15 PM PST
Kribu says:
I don't know if I'd say Crossed was *better* than Matched, and to me it did have that middle-book-in-trilogy feel, but I liked it a great deal. At least as much as Matched, I think.

Started reading Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep yesterday... so far, I'm enjoying it. Not the best YA real-world-fantasy I've ever read and feels quite a bit like what a child of Percy Jackson and Harry Potter (er, the series, not the heroes, possibly) would come out like, but it hits the right spot for me just now. The writing can get a little irritating, as too many things are repeated over and over and over again, but otherwise... might well turn out to be a series I'll want to read more of.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 11:15:21 AM PST
Pig_Weasley says:
Grrrr! Clockwork Prince arrived last week and I have too many other things to read before I can start it. I really like the Infernal Devices and Mortal Instruments series, although I wasn't as impressed with City of Fallen Angels. I guess I felt like the story was done at the end of City of Glass. I am, however, always happy to have more Magnus Bane!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:19:32 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@C. Kovacs- I have Iron Fae on my Tbr list, and LOVE the Fever series! I can't wait to read Shadow Fever!

Just started Street magic, the second Book in the Circle Opens Quartet by Tamora Pierce. I'm only 16 pages in, and like Magic Steps, a lot has already happened and grabbed my interest. Now about the cover art for both books....err. I have the older editions, so on Magic Steps, Sandry looks like a dude, and on Street magic, I can't decipher what expression Briar is trying to pull off. Not that this affects anything, but if it hadn't had 'Tamora Pierce' on the spine, I probably wouldn't have picked it up...lol

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 8:58:58 AM PST
Even though I'm still reading The Night Circus and another nonfiction book, I read the opening chapter of Wither yesterday while I was waiting for my boyfriend to finish some shopping. I hate reading multiple books at once, but I've been wanting to check out Wither for a while. The writing seemed pretty good. I didn't buy it at the time, but I put it on hold at the library when I got home, so hopefully I'll get a copy soon.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x97d9c318)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  271
Total posts:  5380
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  2 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions