Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 22, 2014 2:40:35 AM PDT
K. Knight says:
I just started reading Winding Valley Farm: Annie's Story (A Latsch Valley Farm Book). I was IN LOVE with Willow Wind Farm: Betsy's Story (Latsch Valley Farm) as a child and found winding valley in a thrift store. It isn't as good, but is still enjoyable. The series feels very "Little House of the Prairie" (which I also love) but set a little later and involves a Polish family living in Wisconsin. This might appeal to me solely because I'm from Wisconsin, but it's a good children's book about "the old times".

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 2:38:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author 36 minutes ago]

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 9:54:51 PM PDT
Kribu says:
I finally finished my LSODM re-read and moved right on to Earth Flight, the third and last book in the Earth Girl trilogy.

The same criticisms I had for the first two books (especially regarding the extremely unsubtle moral messages) remain, but I loved the first two books regardless and this one was no exception. Definitely one of my (surprise) favourite series/trilogies of the last few years.

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 12:51:00 AM PDT
That's disappointing, because I liked the free sample of Mortal Danger too.

It seemed like the only message to The Spectacular Now is stop drinking and stuff, already! But, I agree, it kinda dragged and I didn't care for the romance-y aspects to the story.

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 12:32:39 PM PDT
A. Davis says:
I watched The Spectacular Now after seeing a preview for it on Divergent. Can't say that it was my favorite movie. Not sure what the message was with all of the drinking -- someone was drinking in every scene in the movie.

Anyway...I read Mortal Danger (The Immortal Game) and was a little disappointed given how intriguing I found the free prequel. It was very dark -- borderline horror I would say. I liked the characters. I think my main issue was the worldbuilding. I didn't find it very clear and am still confused about several aspects. Not a bad book, but not as good as others Aguirre has written. Maybe 3.7 stars?

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 9:34:59 PM PDT
Kribu says:
Grand Mage Kribu *is* a canonical character, ahem. ~re-reads chapter 16, sighs contentedly~

.... after all the recent video interviews in which Derek says that once he knew how it ends, and had written it, he wept, I'm not at all sure that there will be anything that could be described as "okay", sadly. I mean, he could be bluffing, wanting to make us believe that it'll be all heartache and tears, but then we all did think that also before LSODM, when he told us we're all going to cry and ... yeah, well. He wasn't bluffing then!

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 9:01:55 PM PDT
Tharasher is much too nice for Scapegrace.

Shudder did have a bit of Heathcliff about him and I admit I liked him too.

Grand Mage Kribu does sound like a name from the SD universe!!!

I have hope that it will be okay and not so much bittersweet.

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 10:11:32 AM PDT
Kribu says:
I just got there in my re-read too! Although I admit I think I've gone off Scapegrace a little, mostly because of how horribly he treats Thrasher - I just wish Thrasher found himself a nice, decent guy to settle down with instead of mooning over Scapegrace. He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for. Maybe that'll be the happy ending to the series. Or the single happy moment in a sea of sadness and sorrow...

I do love the Monster Hunters as comic relief though. (Made even better by knowing they're based on real people. :D)

Sigh. I'm re-reading this and ... I always liked Shudder, but LSODM just made me fall in love with him a little bit. Not as much as I love Skul, but then Skul belongs with Val, so. (In my entirely personal headcanon world, Grand Mage Kribu had a passionate affair with Skul in the past though. Definitely.)

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope for things to get back to better eventually in the final book, but I'm not really expecting them to. Except that maybe they'll have to get a little better so that the impact of the final ending would be even stronger, or something.

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 9:39:32 AM PDT
I finished it and am now rereading, because it has a lot going on and I want to be really ready for the last book. I'm up to the part with Scapegrace and Thrasher trying to be Super Heroes and spying on Madam Mist. Honestly, those two have me in stitches, they are so ridiculous and funny, I would love an entire book of them bumbling through an investigation of some sort.

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 12:53:32 AM PDT
Kribu says:
I guess I don't notice that kind of general religious stuff as long as it's not clearly moralising in a specifically religious way. Probably a good thing, really. :D

How far did you get with LSODM / did you finish it? I'm being fairly slow with the re-read, but I'm picking up on things in earlier chapters now that I didn't the first time I read it right after release - then I just breezed through the (relatively) happy, funny first half of the book until it was time to get hit by one sledgehammer after another. Now I'm noticing things (especially to do with the man with the golden eyes) that make me wince in advance and loathe him even more...

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 12:40:13 AM PDT
I don't know if I would call it Christian Fiction anymore than I'd call Twilight Mormon fiction, but it had a lot of christian lessons and moral fables to rehash. I went to a Christian School and spent a lot of time memorizing scriptures, so a lot of it seemed very familiar to me.

LSODM is such a painful book, I might have to wait on the last book, it's been such an emotional journey.

Currently I'm rereading Blameless by Gail Carriger (the audio version) and Illusive which has a strange narrative that kinda sets my teeth on edge, but I really like the characters and the worldbuilding, so I'm getting through it anyway.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 8:33:30 PM PDT
K. Knight says:
I wasn't trying to start a fight about Divergent, I was only asking where the information about the author's religion came from because I was curious. Personally, I think calling the series Christian Fiction is going too far, but it's true, opinions differ. I didn't see the religious aspects, but that's just me.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 5:55:03 AM PDT
Kribu says:
As much as I'd love for EVERYONE to read SP, I'm not sure it'd be your cup of tea. :D

Although I *would* recommend it to anyone regardless of age or general preferences who liked Harry Potter, so. Not that it's particularly similar (SP gets a lot darker - albeit with still plenty of sometimes-dark humour - in the later books, which, for Americans, are a bit trickier to get) but genre-wise, it's the same general area and there's a lot of crossover appeal in the respective fandoms, and it follows a similar pattern of the central protagonist growing up throughout the series, starting off as a smart but normal 12-year-old and ending ... well. yeah. spoilers (but she's 18 in the most recent, next-to-last book). :D

But seriously, as much as I adore Skulduggery himself, and want to marry him and have his skeletal babies, I've rarely seen a better (complex and realistic) coming-of-age development of a young protagonist than I have with Valkyrie in SP.

As for the feels, some people seem to be able to just switch them off and read without getting too emotionally involved, LOL. I'm not one of them, sadly.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 4:56:10 AM PDT
"I have to admit I missed out on any overly religious aspects of Divergent as well, possibly because I lack the religious background to recognise them as such in this case (and I don't follow her blog). I'm glad I didn't notice, I think, as that's something that does often bother me when I do notice."

Ditto.

Have to admit, y'all's SP commentary always makes me want to read the series, but also simultaneously makes me NOT want to, lol. Should I really sign up for that many feels??

I'm almost done with THE WALLED CITY and have really enjoyed it so far. After that will be LANDLINE by Rainbow Rowell!

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 1:46:01 AM PDT
Kribu says:
I have to admit I missed out on any overly religious aspects of Divergent as well, possibly because I lack the religious background to recognise them as such in this case (and I don't follow her blog). I'm glad I didn't notice, I think, as that's something that does often bother me when I do notice.

On topic of what I'm reading now, I caved and started to re-read Last Stand of Dead Men. I briefly toyed with the idea of re-reading the entire series before the last Skulduggery Pleasant book (which is out in 16 days) but decided against it this time; I've re-read all the previous books multiple times before but have only dipped into LSODM again for specific parts since last year. I might re-read the entire series once I'm done with The Dying of the Light, but ... it'll depend on just how crushed and heartbroken I will feel, I suppose - will I want to go back to the times before everything hurt, or will that hurt even more.

LOL. Surely something that started out as a light-hearted children's series shouldn't leave me so heartbroken, but it does, and I can't even help it. Sigh.

I'm going to need to find something new to fall in love with over in 2.5 weeks. That is not going to be easy.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 12:12:24 AM PDT
Well, I don't want to start a fight about whether or not the Divergent series is a Christian fiction series, but if it isn't, then it sure looks like it to me and many other reviewers. Opinions vary and mine is that it was pretty heavy with the Christian teaching about the fallibility of human reasoning, original sin and she (Ms. Roth) has spoken, at length about her religious views on her blog.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 11:04:20 PM PDT
K. Knight says:
Yes A. Davis, that's a good description of how I felt after reading "out of the easy"...like something I'd be forced to read instead of something I'd want to read.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 11:03:12 PM PDT
K. Knight says:
I guess I never thought Divergent dealt much with religion or "original sin"....and I never got the impression that veronica roth was religious or that it played a factor in her writing. I even follow her on twitter and she never has any religious things in any of her posts. In fact, before we started talking about it, I didn't know she was a religious person at all (where did the information on her religion come from, anyway?).

I also didn't notice the overweight=evil aspect of harry potter...because, really, Voldemort/Bellatrix/Lucius (the most evil of the characters) are all thin. I don't necessarily think that just because some of the 'bad' characters are overweight means the author is against overweight people, either.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 3:28:45 PM PDT
A. Davis says:
I finished Out of the Easy and can definitely see where you didn't like the ending, K. Knight. It was definitely less than I had hoped for, too. I'm not sure how I would rate the book. I can't say that I disliked it (although Josie's mom was a pretty horrible character), but I don't know that I really liked it that much either. It read more like some of the literature I had to read in school and not like the kind of fiction that I tend to read for pleasure.

I also read Of Triton (Syrena Legacy), the sequel to Of Poseidon (Syrena Legacy), and didn't quite enjoy it as much. It was lacking the humor and charm of Of Poseidon. I will still read the last book, Of Neptune (The Syrena Legacy), when it comes available at the library.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 12:44:03 PM PDT
I think the author was sliding in her own religious based beliefs on original sin, women as a reflection of societies ills and the importance of a benevolent patriarchy and the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I am with it.

Especially in light of the ending and the price the characters had to pay to get back to a less techno, intellectual world.

I never considered how much bashing the other houses in HP took! I guess it was a bit more subtle. I did notice that Rowling has a decided disgust of fat people. Some of the meanest characters were overweight and their weight was described in detail; Dudley, Umbridge, Ludo Bagman, Bulstrode, Uncle Vernon, Goyle. Just something I noticed because I'm a bit over what I should be.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 5:39:30 AM PDT
I can't speak for the books, but in the Divergent movie, I felt it was pretty clear that there were bad people across all the factions. Janine in Erudite, Marcus in Abnegation, and the leader of Dauntless who was in cahoots with Janine...

In Harry Potter, I didn't feel that Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw were bashed, per se, but Slytherin was certainly demonized -- until toward the end of the series when JKR was (seemingly) like, "oops, this is probably a bad message!" and started giving all the houses their heroes too. :P

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 12:29:49 AM PDT
K. Knight says:
Huh. Guess I never really got that aspect from Divergent. I mean, yes, obviously the "bad" guys are in Erudite, but I guess for whatever reason I didn't read it as a slam on smart people. I read it as the faction that values knowledge eventually became corrupt because of the *people* in it, not because it valued learning. Much the way Dauntless became corrupt (valuing violence/cruelty instead of bravery). Because if you look at all of the factions, they become corrupt because society isn't meant to be divided that way. (Like Amnesty and the mind control).

But I see how that could be taken differently.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 12:17:40 AM PDT
A. Davis says:
Anyone planning on going to see The Giver movie when it comes out this weekend? To be perfectly honest, it's not one that I'm dying to see. I never really got the this-would-be-a-great-movie feeling when I read the book.

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 10:06:14 PM PDT
Kribu says:
I agree about the intellectualism-bashing. It was bad enough in HP with Ravenclaw (never mind Slytherin, because ambition as a character trait is sooo horrible, isn't it), but compared to Divergent, HP was very subtle about it...

I liked the action parts and some of the character stuff in the first two Divergent books, but yes, that entire "erudite = evil" message did bother me. Well, the whole faction part of the worldbuilding bothered me anyway, it's just that I spent the first two books expecting to get a satisfying explanation for it eventually...

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 1:20:37 PM PDT
The Divergent series really bothers me. I liked the first book, but only with some reservations about its blatant bashing of technology and intellectualism. I think the authors strong religious background and her distrust of people who value logic, reasoning and information really ruined this book for me. There was too much Luddite fantasyland going on for me.

I saw The Spectacular Now and really enjoyed it, it didn't have the ending I was hoping for, but I guess it was what the characters needed to complete their journeys to adulthood.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 223 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  278
Total posts:  5551
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  34 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions