Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 1:31:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2011 1:32:14 PM PST
Hmmm. What have you liked? I can't put my finger on you.

I, on the other hand, am a wildly undiscriminating reader. I'll read anything, from mystery to fantasy to YA to historical fiction to romance.

Edited for word choice. This is the YA forum, after all. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 1:34:36 PM PST
"I, on the other hand, am a wildly undiscriminating reader. I'll read anything, from mystery to fantasy to YA to historical fiction to romance."

LOL. I liked your original word choice, personally. And I'm the same way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 1:37:16 PM PST
Kribu says:
A now somewhat ancient thread I posted here in the YA forum earlier this year, which got rather too detailed about my likes and dislikes:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/young%20adult/ref=cm_cd_ttp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxYYBPV8QIG2V4&cdThread=Tx22AHJMP3J9A2D

I used to be the sort of person who read pretty much everything, but as I've got older, my tastes seem to have grown simpler (and they come and go in phases), so mostly it's YA or even middle grade (non-high-) fantasy, adventure, dystopias and cosy mysteries these days.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:43:11 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Finished Captivate last night, and loved it! I started The Forest Of Hands And Teeth, and thought it was pretty good, but I picked up Lauren Kate's Fallen a little while ago and I can't stop!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 7:43:29 PM PST
I really liked Forest of Hands and Teeth! It wasn't perfect, but it was very... philosophical, and I think sometimes that's lacking in YA lit. The sequel (The Dead-Tossed Waves) was good too, with a very different kind of heroine, but there are certain similarities that made me glad I didn't read them one right after the other. I'm planning to read the third in the trilogy too (Dark and Hollow Places) but again I'm spacing it out.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 8:44:44 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I'm excited people liked the Bronze Horseman triology because I'm getting the first book for Christmas, along with Night Circus and Crossed so it's nice to know I've got some good reads ahead of me. I haven't picked up Daughter of Smoke and Bone but I think I should.

I just finished Uglies and picked up Pretties...it's a very interesting world. Not at all what I was expecting, but in a good way.

@Kristan--I hope you like Wither. I was really surprised by how much I liked it. It's creepy and romantic all at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 5:20:01 AM PST
yeah he is...but i'm a huge Jamie fan (outlander)...so its hard to compete with him...but Alexander has his strong points...his temper does worry me a bit...

that being said, i bought the next 2 to read...i'm doing a buddy read of T&A in January with a friend, and will probably do TSG in either Feb/Mar (got to savor the books ya know?)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 5:24:46 AM PST
for anyone with a kindle, Kristin Cashore's Graceling is 99 cents today...it was one of my few 5 star reads this year

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 5:48:25 AM PST
Ooo, thanks for the heads-up, Deanna! My friend highly recommended Graceling to me.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 7:54:11 AM PST
A. Davis says:
Graceling is definitely worth $.99 - or more! :)

Maria Snyder had a new book come out this week - Touch of Power (Healer). I really like her as an author. Unfortunately, it looks like the Kindle version won't be out until next week. If anyone reads it in the meantime, could you let us know how it is?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 7:59:20 AM PST
oh...just me says:
Do you, or any other woman for that matter, ever read books written by men?

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:05:05 AM PST
What a troll-ish and ridiculous question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 8:36:36 AM PST
seriously...

but in truth, this is a YA forum, so i'm going to limit my response to that genre...I buy/read books that sound intriguing and rarely pay attention to the author - about the only time I do is when its needed for a reading challenge...but it seems right now as through the preponderance of YA books are written by females (or at least those that I see in the bookstore on a regular basis)...

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:39:31 AM PST
Kribu says:
I'm going to assume this was a serious question driven by sincere curiosity, no matter how trollish it comes off.

If more men wrote YA books, there would probably be more discussion of books written by men in the YA forum. Rick Riordan and Scott Westerfeld in particular seem to be fairly popular among girls as well as boys and women as well as men, in any case. I'm also very fond of Derek Landy and Mark Walden and have read plenty of Anthony Horowitz, and as a child (girl), Alexandre Dumas and Jules Verne were my absolute favourite authors.

If I had to estimate, I think I read slightly more books written by women than by men these days, but that's largely because my current favourite genres (YA and cosy mysteries) are either somewhat or completely dominated by female writers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 8:39:36 AM PST
John Green, James Dashner, Mike Mullin, Ransom Riggs, Christopher Paolini... Just a few of the many male authors my girlfriends and I have read this year.

But yeah, we too pay no attention to the gender of the author. What we care about is the story and writing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 9:03:38 AM PST
i did discover Neal Stephenson who I really liked for a dystopia...i'll be checking him out in the future

I need to read Scott Westerfeld

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:10:12 AM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@Deanna- Both Uglies and Leviathan series's are good, and I've heard good things about Peeps and the Midnighter's Trilogy

I don't really pay attention to the author, it just depends on how interesting the book sounds. The YA genre is simply lacking in male authors

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:49:51 AM PST
Kribu says:
I actually just did a quick check and looks like my guess was skewed by the last half a year... I've read more books by women than by men this year in June, July, October, November and December; on the other hand, January's 14 books were men-only and February was 8/2 in favour of male authors while May was 12/4 for men (and out of the four books by women, one was a short story and one I didn't finish).

It definitely depends a lot on the mood I'm in, and if I've found a new enjoyable series, I tend to read a number of books by the same author in a row.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:00:25 AM PST
I have Leviathan at home to read...its a challenge read for another group...3 categories to pick from and the people vote on which book, Leviathan is the steampunk one

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 7:46:42 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I actually do sometimes look to see if an author is male or female depending on the sex of the narrator. I have found that men trying to write from a female perspective (and vice-versa) are usually less successful than a woman writing a female lead character or narrator. This isn't always true, of course (I mean JK Rowling writes as Harry Potter and does a fantastic job and Scott Westerfeld writes a female lead very successfully...I'm sure there are many others). Ultimately, though, if a book sparks my interest it doesn't matter if they are male or female. I'd say, though, I read more books by female authors (again because of a lack of male authors in the YA market).

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:09:23 PM PST
Kribu says:
I agree; I think it takes more skill to write in the POV from someone whose gender is opposite to your own, but fortunately quite a few authors do pull it off.

I'm between books right now... have been too busy the last couple of days to pick up something new. Hmm. I still rather hope to manage to squeeze in at least one more book this year - just need to decide what!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 7:25:13 AM PST
Have you read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: A No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Novel (1)? Scottish man channels African woman. Amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 8:49:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 12:16:22 PM PST
Kribu says:
No - it's a series I keep wanting to read, but it's not available on the Kindle for me. Grrr.

I'm in the middle of a move, with several thousand books packed, so... adding physical books is something I'm avoiding at all costs right now! Although this is a series that I might eventually try out at some point next year, once I've moved and determined if I have space for a few more books or not...

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 12:10:50 PM PST
if anyone is interested, I just found a group on GR, called YA-MA rated for adults who like reading YA, but want to discuss the books, potentially more in depth than younger individuals

(FWIW, if I see another thread on GR about doesn't Peeta deserve Katniss, Twilight is awesome, Harry Potter is better than Twilight...I might scream)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 3:23:46 PM PST
I started If I Stay (Gayle Forman)...I had debated doing Crossed, and then found out that it would fit a challenge starting in January (as with Leviathan)...so i'm going to hold off
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 227 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  281
Total posts:  5662
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions