Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 19, 2011 7:46:26 PM PST
Oh, I really want to read Eon and Eona! Thanks for the reminder. (Although, urgh, they're not available as Kindle books from the library.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 7:47:42 PM PST
Victoria says:
wow that happens to me all the time I'm like a shopohalic for books. I'll order some, anticipate their arrival, gaze at them on the bookshelf...and the next time I go online, want to order more :)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:35:49 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2011 7:23:51 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 6:32:49 AM PST
@Angel Girl-
As Deanna said, this title clearly is not YA, and you've promoted it on multiple threads (with no relevant comments, or any comments whatsoever). Reported for abuse.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 4:47:36 AM PST
I finished reading Wrestling with Desire last night - its from featherpress which is a YA imprint for a m/m romance publisher - so coming of age kinda stuff - in this one two boys on the wrestling team fall in love - it was cute. The language was kinda awkward in a few places, but I really felt for the boys

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:30:22 AM PST
I'm now reading The Concrete Blonde trying to finish off the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I'm also reading The Speaker For The Dead which is the not near as good sequel to Ender's Game.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:45:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 8:47:32 AM PST
BMW says:
I finished both Eve by Anna Carey and Fateful by Claudia Gray, both really great and I highly recommend :) I can't believe the low ratings the former has received, to be honest.

Now I think I'm going to read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, it's not YA but the premise sounds more reminiscent of YA than adult to me. Two love struck magicians pitted in a duel against one another set in a mysterious circus? Uh, yes please lol I only hope it's as good as it sounds and the hype has made it out to be.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:51:31 AM PST
Actually I think Night Circus IS being marketed as YA. At least, that's how I've been seeing it in the blogosphere...? But yeah, I'm afraid of the hype machine, so I probably can't/won't read it for awhile. (Had to sit out on the Harry Potter and Twilight phenomenons for years too.) Definitely look forward to seeing what you think of it, though!

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:01:59 PM PST
K. Knight says:
Yeah, Night Circus is on my to read list, too.

I definately can't recommend the House of Night series and it's a shame. It is such an interesting concept and I kept reading hoping it would get better but it just got worse.

But I did just finish Unwind and that's the best book I've read in a long time. It's one of those that when you finish it you just sit there thinking about it for awhile. So powerful and well-written. Highly recommend that to everyone!

I'm half-way through Snow Flower and the Secret Fan which is not YA but is a very good historical fiction story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 7:54:46 AM PST
Oh yay, my book club is doing Snow Flower next. Glad to hear it's a good one!

And Unwind is definitely on my TBR list.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 6:38:04 PM PST
Camille W. says:
I just read The Hunger But Mainly Death Games. Thought it was funny. Now I'm wondering, any other good YA parody books out there?

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 11:20:35 PM PST
Kribu says:
I finished Gone the other day - oddly enough, while I still think of it as "Lord of the Flies with mutants", I found it interesting enough that I think I'll want to give the next book a go, too.

I also finally got around to reading House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo, which I got for either free or very cheap ages ago during some discount or another, and... hmm. Well, it wasn't bad, and I think it's a nice balance of horror and adventure and mystery for younger teenagers / pre-teens, but it's not something I want to spend more than $10 per book on for the next ones in the series (which they currently all are).

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 1:54:39 AM PST
Will 63 says:
i'm reading scarecrow and the army of thieves by matthew reilly, seriously the best, keeps you on your toes the whole time, is it bad that i found hunger games kind of boring? it just really wasnt doing it for me, i liked the first half but it all got into a bit of a hard slog around half way (though i managed to struggle through it)

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 7:24:43 AM PST
I got Lola and the Boy Next Door for my birthday a few days ago and started reading it that night. Finished at midnight yesterday. Overall it wasn't AS good as Anna and the French Kiss, for me, but elements of it were better.

Specifically: The parents were awesome. Cricket was awesome. And actually, I thought Max was pretty great (in a fully-realized-character sort of way) even though most bloggers seem to hate him.

So I definitely enjoyed it, and I can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After. :)

Now I'm onto a non-YA -- Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother -- my first Kindle library book!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 7:55:27 AM PST
Kribu says:
Will, I don't think there's anything wrong with not getting into some book, no matter how much it's been praised by others! It would be a dull world if everyone loved the same books.

I did get into The Hunger Games and got through all three books in a week or so, but while they kept me excited while I was reading, I'm not sure they'll ever make my re-readable books list. And they didn't really stay with me for long once I'd moved on to other books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 10:20:51 AM PST
i'm waiting for this to be released in the US - its been ages since i've had a scarecrow fix - I liked his other series, but scarecrow is the better one I think

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 9:32:33 PM PST
Finished Tiger Mother already (yay for plane rides?). While it's not targeted at a YA audience, I actually think some teens (especially those of Asian descent) would find it interesting. It certainly gave me a lot to think about in terms of my own childhood (with an Asian immigrant mother and Caucasian American father) as well as my own potential motherhood and parenting.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 10:02:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 10:07:24 PM PST
A. Davis says:
I'm so glad that I came across this thread and saw that there's going to be a new Graceling-world book out in May....yay! I'm with several of you - LOVED Graceling, but didn't like Fire quite so much.

For those of you who liked Graceling, have you read Maria Snyder's Study series? I really enjoyed it. It starts with Poison Study.

As for me, I recently finished Beastly Movie Tie-in Edition and enjoyed it more than I thought I would - although I haven't seen the movie yet. I liked it well enough to want to pick up another book by the same author, Alex Finn. So, next on my list is A Kiss in Time - which is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 3:41:17 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I actually really loved Hunger Games and was pretty excited by Catching Fire, for me the series just fizzled in Mocking Jay. I guess because I was so in love with the first book that I found the third was a little lacking. Still an excellent series (at least for me) that I've read twice now.

But there's never anything wrong with not liking something that a lot of people love. A lot of people love Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire and I couldn't stand it (I did finish it and the next two books in the chronicles, but it was tough going).

I took a break from fiction and am working my way through "The Way to the Western Sea" about Lewis and Clark's journey. I got it for $1 at a library book sale. It's a little dry but I'm hoping it gets better once they're actually on the journey.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 3:42:59 PM PST
K. Knight says:
@A. Davis...I can't wait for the new Graceling world book. I've been waiting for more than a year for Bitterblue to be released. I have read the Study series, it's amazing. I always recommend it to people even though it's a little out there. Have you read Veronica Roth's Divergent? If not, it's something you might enjoy.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 5:31:01 PM PST
A. Davis says:
K. Night...thanks for the rec! I just sent a sample of Divergent to my Kindle - looks interesting! :)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:41:59 PM PST
I have read two AMAZING books lately.

First is Hourglass by Myra McEntire. It's a paranormal romance, but not the vampire/werewolf/magic kind. It was so completely refreshing to read something so different, it was like a breath of fresh air! Very witty/funny writing as well.

The second is Crossed by Allie Condie (the sequel to Matched). I loved Matched, and this series just keeps getting better and better!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:47:40 PM PST
Kribu says:
I've finally got around to The Dead-Tossed Waves, sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth (which I found excellent, if depressing). As much as I like high-octane action, I really appreciate the more introspective writing in these books, although for me it works better in smaller doses, i.e. one book at a time, not the whole series at once.

I'm looking forward to reading Crossed. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Matched, much more than I expected to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:26:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2012 9:28:58 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:27:55 AM PST
I feel the same way about Carrie Ryan's books. Or at least, those two. I plan to get Dark and Hollow Places (the 3rd/final in that trilogy) soon.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  285
Total posts:  5933
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions