Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 8:59:21 AM PST
Oh, I hear great things about Tamora Pierce. I've been told I would enjoy her Alanna series in particular.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 9:29:17 AM PST
i remember reading her Alanna series when I was in middle school...wayy back when...lol! (close to 20 years now)...I love that her writing has stood the test of time and people are still reading her stuff

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:23:20 AM PST
A. Davis says:
My first Tamora Pierce book was from her Protector of the Small series - which I really enjoyed. It's about a young girl becoming a knight. The first book in the series is First Test (Protector of the Small).

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:14:23 AM PST
I'm between Scott Sigler novels. I just finished THE ALL-PRO (Galactic Football League), and I've already downloaded Ancestor: A Novel. In the meantime, I'm reading Supernatural: Night Terror, which I'm enjoying. I hadn't read any of the novels based on Supernatural, and this one had good reviews. So far - so good !

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 12:10:21 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Does anyone know if the Heir Chronicles or The Seven Realms books by Cinda Williams Chima are any good? I was going to read them, but they're classified as 'children's' but at the same, in the YA section at Barnes and Noble! Anyone want to clear things up?? :)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 12:25:47 PM PST
A. Davis says:
I haven't read her Seven Realms books, but I have read the Heir Chronicles and thought they were good. I even left myself a note after finishing them to keep checking as to when the next books will be coming out. Her Heir Chronicles are more contemporary and the Seven Realms are more high fantasy. I think they're both considered YA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 12:41:40 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Thank you

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 12:50:39 PM PST
Pig_Weasley says:
Yes, they are both considered YA. I read the Heir series and really enjoyed it.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 12:13:14 AM PST
Kribu says:
Taking a detour into something a bit older and reading Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover. (I doubt it would qualify as YA in this day and age in the US market anyway - no graphic descriptions so far in any way (granted, I'm only about 2/5 in), but it's pretty straightforward about matters to do with sex and 16-year-olds having sex. Fine for older teens, I'd say, but people have different ideas about what's fine and what not.)

Anyway, I'm finding it rather fascinating. Certainly a very different love story.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:11:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 5:25:13 AM PST
0163 says:
I just finished Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols and was not overly impressed. A capable writer on the craft level, but not living up to her obvious abilities. And the self-image of the heroine was abominable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 7:42:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 8:07:12 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Tamora Pierce has quite graphic violence and sex in her YA books which she believes is just fine!

http://tamora-pierce.com/faq_sexnviol.htm

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 12:46:28 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@ Christine- I read the article, and I think it makes a lot of sense. I just finished learning about the middle ages, and it was like that! Kind of scary.

I'm giving my friend a copy of Matched for Christmas:) Hope she likes it!

Haven't had much time to read, but Street Magic, in my opinion, is so far better than magic Steps.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:46:23 PM PST
BMW says:
I'm reading Clockwork Prince and trying really hard not to fly through it, so I'm also reading a non-YA book, The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. I just ordered Finding Sky by Joss Stirling, which I've wanted for awhile, so fingers crossed that after such a long battle to get my hands on it that it doesn't turn out to be totally horrid.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:26:05 PM PST
CarrieLou says:
BMW, I finished The Bronze Horseman trilogy a few weeks ago, & I'm still obsessing over Tatiana and Alexander! I hope you love them, too! :)

I've been reading a lot of YA lately. I just finished Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It's kind of Flowers in the Attic-ish. I loved it, but it made me cry-my boyfriend had the misfortune to call me about 10 minutes after I finished it & I was still sobbing. :P I'm obsessing over that book a little bit, too. It's pretty intense; it's probably the only teen book that I'd be REALLY careful about who I recommend it to at the bookstore I work at.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:59:48 AM PST
Ooo, I really want to read Forbidden, despite the taboo. I keep hearing great things about it.

I finished the nonfic book I was reading, and Wither just came in for me at the library, so I'll be picking that up today!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:50:53 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Finished Street magic today in English Class! I just read my book the whole hour in that class, because we are reading To Kill A Mockingbird (love that book) with an audio recording, and I read ahead, and finished the book, along with all of the discussion questions, and he was cool with it, which is rare, because a lot of teachers get mad when you read ahead lol

Heroes of Olympus Book 2: The Son of Neptune is next up. I CANNOT WAIT to start it!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:40:30 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Super excited for the 'year the world ends!!!' * mentally flips in air* I just saw a super-long list of YA books coming out in 2012! And that's just YA books!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 6:35:50 PM PST
Lol at the "end of the world."

You know, a lot of debut YA novelists band together each year and form blogs/groups to support each other. Those with debuts in '10 called themselves Tenners. Those with debuts in '11 called themselves the Elevensies. Those with debuts next year have dubbed themselves the Apocalypsies. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 7:27:13 AM PST
and she was able to justify her reasons, which I totally agree with. I get that you aren't a fan of violence or sex in YA, but it happens

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 7:28:36 AM PST
I finished up Shine - once I got into it it was good - I kinda figured out who did it about half-way through (or at least, had it down to 2 people) - so I wasn't all that surprised in the big reveal, but it was still a good read

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 1:46:15 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@Kristan- Lol I'm not sure I'd want to be dubbed an 'apocalypsie'

The Son of Neptune is amazing!! I already am about 200 pages into it, so I'm assuming it will be finished today or early tommorow morning. i don't want it to end though...

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 2:07:37 PM PST
Don't worry; Son of Neptune won't end. In fact, one of the complaints I read in the reviews was that this is obviously the book that links the first one (Lost Hero) with the third one. But Rick Riordan sure keeps us coming back for more, doesn't he?

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 2:16:06 PM PST
I really appreciate this forum. Only discovered it a few weeks ago, but based on everything I've read here I've decided to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone to see if it's something I want to add to our public library. We're small (and poor) so I have to watch the pennies when deciding what to buy. Thanks for catching my attention and for all the comments by so many people. I've posted a couple of comments and promise not to just "use" you for my own penny-pinching purposes. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 2:20:31 PM PST
AWW. That's awesome! I'm so glad our discussions are having that kind of an impact -- helping you find great books for kids (and adults, for that matter). That just about made my day.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:26:30 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
This is a great discussion, and it can never end, because all of us are going to keep reading! :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  279
Total posts:  5592
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  7 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions