Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Mermaid Stories for a Teen Girl; suggestions please!!!! c",)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2010 12:47:59 PM PDT
maria joia says:
I'm getting tired of vampires and werewolves and fairies....

How about mermaids?

They used to be my favorite mythical characters when I was a little girl...

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 12:55:42 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
You might try Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli or Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguié.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 2:58:38 PM PDT
Pokey says:
"Forgive My Fins" by Tera Lynn Childs.
I haven't read it, just saw it at Barnes & Noble yesterday.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 3:05:39 PM PDT
J. Abel says:
I'll second FORGIVE MY FINS, and also add SEVEN TEARS INTO THE SEA for something a little different.

Posted on Aug 3, 2010 10:24:34 AM PDT
maria joia says:
thanks for the suggestions. :)

@Rachael Davis: Yeah, I saw that book here at Amazon. It looks interesting. thank you.

Posted on Aug 3, 2010 2:34:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2010 2:35:31 PM PDT
Stacia says:
I haven't read it yet, but the book is new and seems to have good reviews. I actually followed a link to it when clicking on a review featuring Forgive My Fins over on Goodreads.

Forbidden Sea

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 1:41:55 AM PDT
Stacia - hadn't heard of that one before, and might not have found it without your rec, thanks! It looks very interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 12:03:24 PM PDT
Tabitha says:
The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan is coming out this October. I read an ARC and it was pretty good.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 12:18:44 PM PDT
I don't know of any books that are explicitly about mermaids, but you might enjoy The Republic of Love by Carol Shields and The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. The characters in these books are humans, but mermaids are mentioned. Both books are great reads if you're ready to venture out of the young adult section and read "grown-up" books. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 1:45:46 PM PDT
Tera Lynn Childs' Goddess books rock, so I'd assume Forgive My Fins is great as well. I've heard Sea Change by Aimee Friedman is wonderful too.

This one isn't mermaids, but maybe you'd like Tricia Rayburn's novel Siren (it's awesome!).

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 3:24:52 PM PDT
joia_gurl! says:
@YA Book Queen: I thought Tricia Rayburn's Siren is about a mermaid? just got it yesterday but haven't started yet.
@Tabitha: I looked that up, it was interesting.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 8:28:08 AM PDT
Tabitha says:
A friend of mine just told me about Forbidden Sea by Sheila Nielson. It came out in July, and she really enjoyed it.

Joia_gurl - if you read The Mermaid Mirror, I hope you enjoy it!

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 1:36:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2010 1:39:50 PM PDT
fred trust says:
What about Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum. You can see an image of the marmaid on the front cover in this link http://ozbooksworld.phanfare.com/2023630_3619828#imageID=59203719

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 2:17:08 PM PDT
joia_gurl! says:
@Tabitha: I checked out Forbidden Sea, the reviews are great! I'll check it out from our local bookstore tomorrow. Btw, I've been following your reviews for sometime now, they're great. Keep them coming, won't you? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 3:45:38 PM PDT
Tabitha says:
Thanks! I will definitely keep them coming. :)

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 6:54:57 PM PDT
coolgamer says:
Well if you haven't read Aquamarine...that was a favorite of mine when I was a young teen. It's a nice story. The movie isn't bad either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 5:06:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2010 5:07:04 PM PDT
@Joia_gurl: Nope, siren's are a bit different from mermaids...When you read it you'll see how different sirens are. I hope you enjoy it when you get to reading it, it's a great story! :)

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 7:48:11 PM PDT
Hi, I have a fun short story YA series. The best friend is a Mermaid. The 1st of 4 books is titled Mirage and I have more coming. Mirage

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 5:15:31 PM PDT
Karly says:
I like mermaids too and there's not enough of the, I did just finish a great book with angels, Ethereal (Celestra Series Book 1) hope that helps. it's .99 cents.

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 3:08:21 PM PDT
Alice Arzaga says:
Try the Seaborn books:

Saltwater Witch (Book #1 of The Seaborn Trilogy)
Seaborn (Book #2 of The Seaborn Trilogy)
Sea Throne (Book #3 of The Seaborn Trilogy)

The first two are also in print:
Saltwater Witch: Book #1 of the Seaborn Trilogy (Volume 1)
Seaborn

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 11:34:57 AM PDT
Somebody called Mermaid Girl posted about her book on the New YA Novels for 99 cents thread.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 11:05:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 11:09:16 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
Ascension (Water Trilogy, Book 1)

Reunion (Water Trilogy, Book 2)

Transformation (Water Trilogy, Book 3)

Sirena

The Mermaid's Madness (PRINCESS NOVELS)

Haunted Waters

Hannah (Daughters Of The Sea)

The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy)

The Mermaid's Mirror

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 12:36:42 PM PDT
derrolyn says:
You might want to check my new series out...

Between The Land And The Sea (Marina's Tales)
The Moon And The Tide (Marina's Tales)

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 12:53:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2011 1:02:16 PM PDT
Damarys R says:
Well I read The Tail of Emily Windsnap collection only 3 or 4 books by Liz Kessler!!! My daughter said to read the collection and I did read the whole collection!!! I read the whole collection in one day!!! These books are fantastic the books made me feel like I was the main character but the mermaid version not the human version!!!! Teenage girls should read these books my 11 year old daughter read these books and I said the same thing she said when I finished the collection, "I wish I was a Mermaid, these books make me want to be a mermaid!!!" Just read the collection and you will know what I just said and I really do still want to be a mermaid!!!

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 8:30:00 PM PDT
Gwenn Wright says:
Funny you posted this I was just on Goodreads and there is a thread with all their favorite mermaid books listed

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/540427-mermaid-books?type=topic#comment_29562348
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions