Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Good books about abusive relationships??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012 8:58:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 2:02:31 AM PDT
Grace says:
I'm looking for books set in modern times about a teenage girl who is in a bad relationship and is physically/verbally abused by a boyfriend or parent, but falls in love with a boy who is really nice and protective, and he ends up saving her from her fear?? Not exactly like that, but similar. A story of being saved. I'm just looking for something unique, gripping, and well-written.
Here are a few of my favorites that are like what I'm looking for:

"The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window" by Kirsty Moseley
"Something Like Normal" by Trish Doller"
"Breaking Beautiful" by Jenifer Shaw Wolf

Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 10:16:18 PM PDT
Story Weaver says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:53:54 AM PDT
Riley's Pond does not appear to have anything to do with this theme. Is it spam/self promotion?

Anyway. I haven't read any of these myself, but they fit your theme, and they're on my TBR list based on reviews:

SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson (I did see the movie and liked that a lot)
BUT I LOVE HIM by Amanda Grace (aka Mandy Hubbard, who's on your list)
BITTER END by Jennifer Brown
DREAMLAND by Sarah Dessen

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:07:21 AM PDT
read4fun says:
Heart on a Chain had this theme.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:40:47 AM PDT
Iowegian says:
I second Heart on a Chain, and would add Almost and Wishing For Someday Soon. Both have violence in them which may bother some readers.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 9:55:57 AM PDT
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (the mc has been abused by her father, this one has a zombie plague)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 3:46:05 PM PDT
Amy Smurf says:
Heart on a chain definitely.really good read and seems to be exactly what your looking for. i just ordered reason to breathe and barley breathing by rebecca donovan, haven't read them yet but they also fit the criteria.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 4:06:55 PM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series #1) - h is abused by her aunt

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 4:46:02 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
My TBR HATES you guys.

Just sayin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 9:15:04 PM PDT
V. Floyd says:
I haven't read Riley's Pond, but I just checked it out and read this:

Taylor realizes for the first time she can be happy, until the monster from her past rolls into town to collect his prized possession.

Maybe the "monster" from her past is an abusive boyfriend, in which case this book would fit this thread. Just an observation

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:14:03 PM PDT
Person says:
That's easy: Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers!

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 10:34:26 PM PDT
J. Cortez says:
Dreamland by Sarah dessen!

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:56:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2012 8:56:22 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 3:27:53 PM PDT
Inexcusable by Chris Lynch is from the perspective of the abuser/date rapist.
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore is the sequel to Graceling but can be read independently. It's fantasy but it's a story of healing from years of abuse.

And I recommend Dreamland by Sarah Dessen as well.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:41:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 16, 2012 1:41:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:15:06 PM PDT
Pig_Weasley says:
Dark Companion

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:24:05 PM PDT
Knee Deep by Jolene Perry is new(ish) - every review I've read says she deals with the theme beautifully.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 10:08:43 PM PDT
Is the book for a teenager? I loved "Into the darkest corner" by elizabeth haynes. Its about a controlling physically abusive relationship, but its definitely an adult book. It was amazing though.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 8:38:13 AM PDT
Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn (the mc is the abuser, pretty harsh, but well done)
A Red Heart of Memories by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (three troubled people find solace in each other, sounds boring, but was pretty good)

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 8:01:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 28, 2012 8:01:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:13:43 AM PDT
BMW says:
Stay by Deb Caletti. The book switches from the present to the past, so we get flashbacks of the unhealthy relationship as well as the new one progressing.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 5:52:49 AM PDT
read4fun says:
In What a Boy Needs (Volume 1) the H is verbally abused by his father. I also enjoyed Sophie & Carter, but be aware that it's a shorter story.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 11:40:44 AM PDT
J.S. says:
I second the recommendation for "Into the Darkest Corner." They main character is in her early twenties but I have a feeling you would absolutely love it. The abuse is just so horrific, and the man who saves her helps her overcome all of her past fears, that it is really startling contrast. It's really a beautiful story if you can get past the rough parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:37:48 AM PDT
Check out Tears of a Rose by Jovan Jones Fiction, Love Sick Sue William Nonfiction, Black Girl Lost Donald Goines Fiction

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 9:26:59 PM PDT
Crystal says:
Falling for You by Lisa Schroeder. It hasn't been released yet but according to the book description it's about a girl whose possessive boyfriend becomes dangerious when she leans on her male friend for support.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions