Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

YA (preferrably supernatural/scifi/fantasy) with more plot than romance and no love triangles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2012 3:06:47 PM PDT
I want more books but half of the ones I look at state out right there's a love triangle and a fair amount of the others don't tell you until you've invested time in them.

Let me just say I hate love triangles with a passion. I've only read three that worked: Mortal Instruments, The Iron King, and The Darkest Powers. In the first two it wasn't girl liked two guys and can't decide, it was girl likes guy, best friend likes girl. In the Darkest Powers it was girl didn't realize she liked guy until the end.

So I'm up for romances, just not love triangles.

Suggestions?

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 7:25:01 PM PDT
Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves Series)
Significance (A Significance Novel)
First Frost (Mythos Academy)
Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires, Book 1) (The Morganville Vampires)
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) more paranormal romance not really YA but still really good

I'm the same I hate love triangles these are a few I can think of right off the top of my head :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 9:15:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 9:16:23 PM PDT
Aurelas says:
I really liked the Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray. It's a sort of late Victorian historical fantasy series.
1. A Great and Terrible Beauty
2. Rebel Angels
3. The Sweet Far Thing
I wish I could find more fantasy books of that calibre but most seem to be cheap imitations. And in those there is romance but it is not the main focus of the story.
Same with the Study series (forgotten the author). The first is Poison Study. It is not as good to me as the other, but had some interesting ideas and a strong heroine. No love triangles in either of those trilogies.

Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix--really creative stories, some romance in the first one, no triangles.

Also, I just finished listening to the audiobook of
Terrier by Tamora Pierce and really enjoyed it. It is a sort of YA police fantasy, of all things, and very well done, I thought. Just a hint of romance--guessing that there will be more in the second one,but I don't know if there will be triangles or not. I hope not.
And of course, I have to add my all-time favorite fantasy books: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. I know they're a completely different style from the ones you named, but seriously, fantasy doesn't get any better than this--and the romance is of the highest order. :)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:17:07 PM PDT
The Faerie Ring
Thief's Covenant (A Widdershins Adventure)
Devil's Kiss
Leviathan
Peeps
Across the Universe
Anna Dressed in Blood
Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
The Book of Blood and Shadow
Daughter of Smoke and Bone

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:01:11 AM PDT
Wayward says:
Robin McKinley. Mostly fairy tales, but the romancey parts aren't triangles.
Shannon Hale?
Princess Ben
Girl of Fire and Throne (It starts out kind of romancey and sappy, but then it gets intruguing. It's more of a coming of age and into your own in a fantasy land story)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:13:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 1:28:46 PM PDT
Great suggestions so far. I'd add THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater, which I'm 4/5 through right now. The first half is slow, but I'm glad I stuck with it b/c now I can't put it down!

*Update to add: Omg I was trembling and in tears for certain parts of the ending. So yeah, I definitely recommend THE SCORPIO RACES.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:04:02 PM PDT
Adnana says:
I too hate love triangles with a passion -- that is, I hate those love triangles where the girl is attracted to both guys, possibly makes out with both, constantly goes back and forth between them and just CANNOT decide whom she wants. I also hate love triangles when the girl already found and is together with a great guy, but is still tempted by another one. Definitely not my idea of true love, which is the kind of love I'd like to see portrayed in books.
Having said that, I do like for my books to have romance, so there's a fair bit of that in all the titles I'll be recommending. No love triangles though:
Angel Burn by Lee Weatherly
Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz
Red by Kait Nolan
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Fateful by Claudia Gray
Finding Sky by Joss Stirling
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 8:16:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 8:17:33 PM PDT
Aurelas:

There is more romance in the next two books about Bekka Cooper, but there isn't much in there triangle-wise.

I'd actually recommend almost all of Tamora Pierce's work. Some have romance, some don't, and for most it's a side story when it's there. The Lioness quartet does have kind of a love triangle/square (and therefore probably will be most annoying to anyone here), the Circle of Magic books have the least romance involved (though the target market is younger), and my favorite of her books are the Protector of the Small quartet and the Bekka Cooper trilogy (Terrier, Bloodhound and Mastiff).

I definitely second anything by Scott Westerfeld (Leviathan and Peeps, as well as the Uglies series) and Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. Both are excellent authors, whose stories sometimes involve romance but never triangles, as far as I remember.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 5:05:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 3:21:35 PM PDT
SaraJ says:
Anna Dressed in blood has an interesting plot and no love triangles

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:38:04 AM PDT
Read Incarceron by Catherine Fisher! I loved this book and read the sequel : Sapphique.
Incarceron
Sapphique (Incarceron)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 3:34:03 PM PDT
I just read Immortal City and there was a little bit of a love triangle but not much. It definitely wasn't the main focus of the book.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:31:31 PM PDT
SaraJ says:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a very good book and it does not have a love triangle (at least not yet, the second book isn't out yet). The Shadow Falls series is a good series, it does have some love triangle but I think it works in that series.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:18:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 3:45:47 AM PDT
Following are YA series I've read & greatly enjoyed:
Anything written by Rick Riordan is brilliant, (especially his Percy Jackson series - Percy Jackson and the Olympians Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-3). (The Kane Chronicles - The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) is great also). The Laws Of Magic - Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic) series by Michael Pryor is also great. The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer is fabulous - Artemis Fowl (new cover). The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer is also good - The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Boxed Set (4 Books) - (it does have a slight love triangle written into it, however, it is light and does not end as expected - the story mainly focuses on Vlad and his journey through highschool as a growing half vampire/quite good and absorbing). I Am Number Four I Am Number Four Movie Tie-in Edition (Lorien Legacies) and The Power of Six The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) a new series by Pittacus Lore is also fabulous (there is a bit of a love triangle in I Am Number Four, but it is needed for the mesh/progression of the story and is used well, it's also not over-done and is secondary to the main storyline)/the book has a ripper of a final third also. I grew tired of so much teen fiction focusing on over exaggerated teenage love/angst, that I just wanted to read something adventurous and fun, where the romance was definitely a second/third to the story, and on the most part, the above noted fill that void beautifully. Don't be put off about some of the books being for younger readers. Both Rick Riordan and Eoin Colfer write in such a way that all ages can enjoy them. I'm an adult, and I love both these authors. The other books are YA, (the Laws Of Magic is highly recommended). I have also just started reading "The Double Edged Sword" - Double-Edged Sword (Nowhere Chronicles 1) by Sarah Silverwood, which is great also so far, and part of a new series. Anyway, enjoy. :o)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jun 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions