Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

books for 13 year old boy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2012 3:52:00 PM PST
anonymous says:
doesn't know what to read-has recently read The Leviathan Trilogy and liked it-read a year or so ago Boomtown:Chang's Famous Fireworks and liked it-likes to read Peanuts comic strips
please stay away from too much violence in your recommendations
thanks much
Your reply to anonymous's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:18:34 PM PST
What counts as too much violence? There were battle scenes in the Leviathan series. On par with that OK? Can you give an example of what would be objectionnable?

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 7:58:37 PM PST
Stay away from violence? Time to lock the child up and throw away the TV. Oh, and take him out of school, because that's where the perversion starts. Come on, violence? He's 13, not 8. He'll be in High School next year. Be thankful he's reading anything, because soon those high school girls will high jack him from you.

I recommend the Art of War. Or Percy Jackson if you want to baby him. Actually, you know what's really good, that i used to read when i was 13? Animorphs by KA Applegate. Came out in the 90's or early 00's, but it was recently rereleased, and it's on Kindle.

It's about a group of kids who get alien powers to transform into any animal they touch. Meanwhile, the population is being overrun by alien slugs that crawl inside peoples brains and take over their bodies. Everyone's a suspect! No, seriously, it's really good for a kid. Violence level is also placid-- the humans almost never die, which i recall annoyed me as a child because the author went out of her way to spare them. I like violence ^_^;;

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:37:47 PM PST
Agnes says:
If he liked other books by Scott Westerfeld, then you might also want to try the Midnighter's trilogy. The first book is Midnighters #1: The Secret Hour; I'd say it has about as much violence as what is in the Leviathan trilogy.

How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found by Sara Nickerson is an interesting read that mixes the story (which is a mystery) with comic strips.

Holes by Louis Sachar is a book that I know a lot of young teens like.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 12:51:17 AM PST
Oldog_Oltrix says:
As a high school educator, I have to say this up front: you want to expose your 13-year-old boy to violence through literature rather than TV and movies. When he reads about violence, he can process it intellectually rather than having it driven into him through sight and sound. You really ought to feed him a healthful diet of historical fiction violence and fantasy/scifi violence; there are dozens of excellent choices.

That said, here's a relatively non-violent recommendation, although even mother nature can be a bit violent at times: the Brian Robeson series of books by Gary Paulson. 13-year-old Brian is stranded in northern Canada by a plane crash, and has to survive by his wits and his courage. His only link to civilization is the clothing on his body and a hatchet that his mother gave him as a departure gift. I believe that the books should be read in this order:
1. Hatchet
2. Brian's Winter
3. The River
4. Brian's Return
5. Brian's Hunt

The only other non-violent adventure that comes to mind is the Newberry Award winning Sign Of The Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:53:37 AM PST
Definitely recommend Harry Potter if he hasn't read that already.

Might also like Trash by Andy Mulligan, which is like Slumdog Millionaire but mystery instead of romance.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 7:37:27 AM PST
Wayward says:
Seconding the Brian series.
Mysterious Benedict Society
Pendragon (maybe...not sure the violence level, but it was highly recommended by several 12-14 year olds)
Seekers by Erin Hunter
Among the Hidden
The Lost books by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 8:06:16 AM PST
Fablehaven great for his age group I like it also as a 60 yr old very good storys with kids his age involved

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 8:12:59 AM PST
R. McManus says:
The Maze Runner trilogy they are amazing i got almost my entrie grade to read them and they all loved it check it out he also has a new book comeing out called The Kill order can't wait!

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 12:45:57 PM PST
Jennifer says:
The Ranger's Apprentice is a good series. There is some violence though but age wise it would be a good match. I am 23 and love the series.Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan (Rangers Apprentice) first book in the series.

Could be young but How to Train Your Dragon, very funny. Some fighting but to "violence" per say. How to Train Your Dragon Book 1 (How to Train Your Dragon (Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III)) First book in series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 4:37:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2012 8:33:11 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 5:00:29 PM PST
@Rob,
Hello, and welcome to the YA forum! Congratulations on your book -- but unfortunately, self promotion is not permitted by Amazon except in the Meet Our Authors forum, which you can find linked at the bottom of any Discussions page. Please edit or delete your post and try your message there. If you don't, Amazon will likely delete the post for you.

Other than that, you're welcome to stay in the YA forum and discuss books with us! Thanks. :)

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 2:30:06 PM PST
Dave says:
Most of the following suggestions will be from the fantasy or science fiction genre, but if you want some books which should make him laugh - try the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, these are funny books and will make anyone laugh, at some of the ridiculous things that occur. Jim Butcher's Alera series, Angie Sage - Septimus Heap (this series is very easy reading and you can usually tell where they are going). You could try Wen Spencer - either her Tinker series or the Ukiah Oregon series. If you want something with dragons try Christopher Paolini - he wrote Eragon. There are 4 books in that series. Also, Naomi Novak - her Temeraire series, (another Dragon), which is loosely based around the Napoleonic wars era between England and France. You could also try Piers Anthony's Xanth series.
I'd stay away from Lord of the Rings series for a bit as the first book can be very heavy going. You could offer Michael J Sullivan and his Riyria series - this was written by the author for his daughter. A favourite of mine was Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat aka Slippery Jim DiGriz.
If he looks like being a fan of some of the classic novels, you could try Heinlein - Glory road, E E 'Doc' Smith - Lensmen series or Family D'Alembert or Frank Herbet's Dune series.
Alan Dean Foster - his Spell Singer series is very good (espescially the first 5 books, no 6 in my opinion is nowhere near as good). David Eddings - the Belgariad, the Mallorean, the Elenium, or the Tamuli - all good series. You could try glen Cook's Garrett PI series - they are good for a laugh.
Does he like westerns - you could try him on Loius L'amour - very basic books, (the good guy always wins), and his Sackett family series. Some of these stories are only 150 to 200 pages long - you can finish the book in a couple of hours realistically.

Basically it comes down to what he wants to read. I have a friend who does the 20 page rule - if he likes the first 20 pages he keeps going, if he doesn't he tries another book, and some best sellers haven't passed his rule, but, as i said, it all comes down to what he wants to read. Whether it is about alternative history, like David Drake/Eric Flint Belisarius series, or Fantasy, or Science Fiction or western, war and/or spy stories, stories at sea Patrick O'Brien (Aubrey/Maturin series or Master and Commander series as it is also known - sail power in 1860's). David Drake's RCN series is good - it's similar in idea and is a space based version to Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander series.
If you want something a little more factual try Dana Sobel - planets or longitude.
Any of the above are worth a read, and you may find that some of them will get him hooked on reading more.

There are so many good authors out there, the choice is limitless, and it looks like i'll say it again, personal preference. If you want to buy a book for someone, ask them want they want - then get it that way. Otherwise take them to a book store and let them browse - you can sit down and have a coffee while they try to make their mind up. Or, as i seemed to do a lot as a kid, i visited 2nd hand book shops each saturday afternoon and swapped the previously read books for books i hadn't read, and if you visit regularly the stores owner may even be able t point you towards something you may like, or keep things aside for you as happened with me.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:31:32 PM PST
10s Reader says:
The Edumacation of Jay Baker (Christy Ottaviano Books), The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Giver (illustrated; gift edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 7:33:03 PM PST
I read Hatchet in the 5th grade. So, a 13 year could probably read this.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 10:26:04 AM PST
chartroose says:
My very, very, very, very favorite that I've read in a long time (and it has almost zero violence) is "Okay for Now." Read it immediately!

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:14:44 PM PST
Kp211 says:
hmm for a 13 year old boy Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer is good.
classics.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:18:03 PM PST
Funky Fred says:
If you havent read the hunger games READ THEM!!!!!! you only have so long before the movie comes out...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 9:32:40 PM PST
S. L. Parker says:
Boy's Life and anything else by Robert R. McCammon

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:31:47 AM PDT
M. Olson says:
The Last Thing I Remember by Andrew Klavan is the first book in a series. There is a lot of action a 13 year old would find exciting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions