Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Worst YA Book(s) You Ever Read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 7:32:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 12:56:15 PM PDT
Helen Taylor says:
I HATED I Am Number Four and Ash. What about you? What YA book make your toes curl? What made you hit your head on the wall repeatedly? What was the Worst YA book you ever read? (I have a feeling Twilight will pop up at least once)

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:06:25 AM PDT
Sherylb says:
Easy... Breaking Dawn. I did like the first 3 in the series.

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:51:05 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Oddly enough, I didn't hate I Am Number Four, although I didn't find it particularly engaging either.

I'm not sure about worst, but my least favourites have been Heist Society by Ally Carter (the only book I wasn't able to finish last year, I hated it that much) and How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (I disliked that one enormously). But I suppose both were objectively "better" than the House of Night books, where I read the first five in horrified fascination, wondering if something really can be that bad and deciding that yes, it can.

Posted on May 14, 2012 11:30:53 AM PDT
Helen Taylor says:
OH. MY. GOD. House of Night? I'm starting to wonder who actually READS them. I wont say "I HATED IT!" more: "I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY DON'T LIKE IT!"

Posted on May 14, 2012 11:55:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 7:42:41 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Twilight - couldn't even get through it; truly awful; worthless, dumb characters, bad writing, etc. (and, yes, you were right)

Eragon - All I remember about this book is that the main character whined nonstop. He was such a baby, and this went on and on and on. Making it through this one was a chore.

Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series - I read the first and second books and gave up on the last one. I think the characters in this series are horrible people, and that's one of the many reasons I hate it.

The Hollow by Jessica Verday - overly long book (that could have saved some trees by using a smaller font) full of endless descriptions of nothing

These are ones that just really stood out.

Posted on May 14, 2012 4:22:19 PM PDT
I usually just ignore books I didn't care for, but two in particular deserve a warning label to potential readers:

Drought by Pam Bachorz-- This book made me angry because it made no sense! The characters were horrible people who made horrible decisions. I can't believe I finished it.
Eragon-- I read three pages. It was bad. The sentences were short. Very annoying. Just like this description.

Posted on May 14, 2012 4:40:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 7:50:29 PM PDT
Juliette says:
The Host- it was just BAD. I cant say i hated it, it was an intresting idea. Looking back i dont even know why i read it. Ive never had any intrest in twilght, but when a friend reccomended this book i decided to try it. WRONG DECISION. It was extreamly slow with no real plot line and the charachters were annoying. Half the time i was reading it i wanted to chuck it at the wall. I only finished it beacause of the proding from my friend.

The Extras-
i actually really liked the uglys trilogy, this book however was aweful. I hated the charachters, ALL of them. The romance pogressed way to fast and didnt make any sense. I couldn't even finish it, and i finish every book.

Dear Mr. Henshaw-
Its not exactilly YA, but it is the WORST book ive EVER read. I found it depressing, boring and infuriating. I absolutly hated it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 4:58:50 PM PDT
Funny, b/c I loved THE HOST. It's one of my all-time faves. Just goes to show that one man's trash is another's treasure.

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:34:26 PM PDT
Corbin Slate says:
I really disliked The Bar Code Tattoo. I hated it so much I couldn't finish it. That and Eragon, bleh!

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:47:30 PM PDT
I hated Abandon by Meg Cabot which was disappointing since I really love all of Meg Cabot's books but this one was awful!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 7:31:45 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Ah, you just reminded me, T.L. Crawford. I usually love books by Meg Cabot as well, but I truly think The Princess Diaries is horrendous. The main character is such a selfish, awful person. She makes fun of cancer and a person who has had cancer (her father) and belittles him because of what she thinks the cancer did to him (made him unable to have children). Ooh. This book still makes me angry. I cannot believe it was made into a movie.

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:52:09 PM PDT
Anything by Stehanie Meyer. In my opinion, she can't write and if every copy of her work disappeared from the world, we'd be better off. I only read Twilight and New Moon, but Bella was so annoying I rooted for the bad guys and Edward so creepy I wondered why Charlie didn't shoot him for going near his daughter-then I remembered Charlie, despite being the father the main character just got sent to live with, has no character.
House of Night. Other than the immature writing (boobies and poopy? What, is the main character twelve?) the main character was over-sexualized (read: a slut).
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves had so much potential that was ruined by the main character. My main problem was that, yes, the main character is bi-polar, yes, hyper-sexuality is part of that, did she have to start sleeping around when she was fourteen? That's disturbing. And she brags to her mother that she decided to sleep with all the boys in her class in alphabetical order. Her mother finds this amusing, but that's understandable, she's a prostitute herself. The romance was half-assed, the characters unlikeable, and the section where the main character goes on about her unmarked skin becoming scared struck me as out of place and awkward.

I loved the Gemma Doyle Series, though I can understand that it's not for everyone.
I like the Bar Code Tattoo when I read it, but it was kind of lame. Well, completely lame, but a good basis.

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:20:15 AM PDT
K. Knight says:
House of Night series, hands down.

But normally I don't 'hate' books. I can usually find at least something to enjoy in a book...except HON. I only read the first three and then mainly because I thought, surely, they must get better--but they don't.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:54:38 AM PDT
Helen Taylor says:
I completely agree with Agnes about The Princess Diaries; Mea (I think that's her name...) was horrible! I was a sweet little twelve year old (don't laugh. My friend recommended it) who didn't know what awaited me in the pages of The Princess. Now? I wish I could go into the past and scream at her; NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DON'T BE INFLUENSED!!!!!
I can think of two other selfish characters; Bella Swan (from Twilight) and the Greg guy (from Diary of a Wimpy Kid [I was curious to why people went Gaga for the books, I still don't understand]).
Bella - for instance - constantly talked about how "Edward was the one!" and that she "couldn't live without him!" Was I the only one in the world that noticed how horrible she was to her father? Did she even THINK about her father? Or her friends (away from the Cullen family)? No. No she didn't. She was too busy getting Prego with Edwards's kid.
Greg. Oh how much I wanted to strangle this kid. I think he's horrible. : ( Here are my reasons why; Jeff Kinney main character, Greg is selfish, self absorbed, he lies to his family, teachers, and best friend , doesn't actually like his best friend and treats him like dog food. He steals from his older brother, tortures his little brother, is rude to everyone, ungrateful, lazy, dumb as a house of bricks, probably has a "face of a slapped arse" most of the time, etc etc. So what? You say. Sounds a lot like every 12 year old boy out there. And maybe you're right. But what people (especially children) are exposed to in the media are part of who they model themselves after. I wouldn't want my little cousin's to be influenced by this kid.

PS:Flying Books, most of my little cousin's are twelve, and they don't speak like that.

Posted on May 15, 2012 10:32:26 AM PDT
Erm, Bella lied to her father to protect him, and felt absolutely miserably about yelling at him when she was running away. Then at the end of Book 1 (SPOILERS................) she risks her own life to go save her mother, who she thinks is being held hostage by a sadistic vampire. (.................END SPOILERS) And throughout the series she talks about how much she loves both her parents, even if she does have somewhat of a patronizing attitude toward them/their ignorance of what's really going on in her life.

In all 4 books she also stresses the importance of keeping the various vampires/werewolves away from her friends and other innocent people, and in fact puts herself in harm's way multiple times (using her special scent-y blood to lure the baddies away) in order to protect everyone else.

So while I agree the books plenty of flaws, I can't agree that Bella is selfish. In fact, I think most people would agree that self-sacrifice is her most -- some would say her ONLY -- redeeming quality.

Too quick to fall in love with a "weirdo stalker who wants to kill her," on the other hand...

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:15:24 PM PDT
Helen Taylor says:
....now that I think of it, she isn't THAT selfish. Ok, I thought long and hard about how Bella's not-that-good-of-a-role-model (I just know that Twihearts everywhere will be hating my guts after they read this, I just know it).
These are my flaws with Bella:

Like all characters, Bella Swan has to have faults. On the first pass through Twilight, it appears that the only one she has is her crippling clumsiness, but on closer examination, a few somewhat disturbing underlying personality traits come to light. For starters, Bella has very low self-esteem. While this is a condition that plagues all teenage girls at one time or another, Bella is self deprecating more often than not, putting herself down, even in her thoughts. Her love interest, Edward, is constantly described as perfect and when Bella measures herself next to him, she finds herself woefully inadequate. Even in such small things a working together in biology class, while the two are taking notes for their assignment, Bella doesn't want to `ruin' the work they're doing with her handwriting because his is so elegant and beautiful and hers is not.
This could be seen as the author trying to reaffirm for the audience that everything about the hero of the story is perfect, even his penmanship, but it's at the cost of the heroine's self worth. The same theme recurs so often that it`s downright discouraging. Bella reminds the audience repeatedly just how ordinary she is, especially when comparing herself to the boy she loves. Yes, Edward Cullen is extraordinary and wonderful, but Bella should be allowed to be the same, even if she's just a regular girl. Bella's self-confidence is bolstered by Edward's love for her, but this message is a double-edged sword. While it's fantastic that she can see herself through his eyes and understand that someone thinks she's exceptional, it's sad that she doesn't believe it until he tells her so. Still, this is an accurate depiction of how a teenager's self-image often is, so Meyer should be commended for getting it right--even if the message it sends is somewhat questionable. It looks like a girl is only special if someone of the opposite sex thinks she is.

One of Bella's most worrying personality traits is just how easy she is to walk on. None of her protestations throughout the book stick: when she defies or argues with Edward, he always wins--not necessary because his argument is valid, but because she backs down. Bella is not entitled to any opinions that clash with her boyfriend`s. The relationship that is central in Twilight is, at first glance, everything a girl dreams of, but digging a little deeper, it's actually rather abusive. By default, Edward is right, Bella is not. If Bella shows any sexual aggression, he freezes her out; if he does the same, she swoons because it's so overwhelmingly magnificent. If Bella forms an opinion opposing Edward's, she changes it to match his almost instantly. When Edward `teases' Bella, it's accepted, even though his words poke holes in her ego. Bella sees Edward as perfect, constantly reminding the audience of that perfection and just how lucky she is to have him, never acknowledging that perhaps she deserves to be loved by someone attractive. All these things are depicted as okay because Edward loves her, meaning he's instantly forgiven for his behaviour on the basis of his love alone.

More disturbing still is that, in their worship of Bella, teenage girls desire this kind of relationship, without ever seeing how detrimental it is to the heroine of the novel. Bella is not a strong female character. She bends to someone else's whims regularly. When she does do something on her own, the results are always disastrous and she's scolded: she should have listened to the boy she loves instead of thinking for herself. This gender inequality is a prevalent theme in Twilight and with each subsequent reading, it jumps out at you more and becomes even more troubling. Bella is handed off from the care of one male to another, from her father saving her life by putting chains on her truck's tires immediately to Edward pulling her out of the way of an out of control van. She doesn't even walk to classes on her own, usually accompanied by either a minor male character or her love interest. When she acts without the guidance of a man, she winds up in dangerous situations that she must be rescued from--again, rescued by a man. In this day and age, the damsels in distress of centuries past are just that: in the past. Women are allowed to be strong; women are strong. Bella is not allowed to have a spine in Twilight and she is not allowed to think for herself without learning a painful lesson for such behaviour.

Bella is weak, even submissive, pure and simple. She's very smart, and she's allowed to be smart, but her will is never her own. It would be excusable, even an excellent plot device and show of emotional growth, if she had started weak and developed strength through the story, but she doesn't do that. In Twilight, the gender roles are very clearly defined in a very old fashioned sort of way. Girls are eternally the princess in need of rescue; boys, their knights in shining armour. It's a story as old as the oldest fairy tale, and perhaps, since that's the foundation that Twilight is built on, that's the point and the appeal; but it's hardly a positive, progressive step forward. The passive but kind Cinderella, waiting for her prince charming to come save her from the mundane life she lives, isn't usually considered a good role model for girls. In the great scheme of things, Bella Swan, waiting for romance to make her life something exceptional rather than grasping at individual happiness with both hands, probably isn't either.

....Ok, after all that; I'm still alive. Phew! But I really hope that some people do consider these points of views.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:02:09 PM PDT
Lol. Wow, take a deep breath!

I just want to repeat this so it's clearI'm not a "Twi-hard" nor a "Twi-hater." I consider myself not unbiased, but fairly balanced in my opinions of the books. (Kind of like a love-hate relationship?)

I recognize many flaws in Twilight. All of the points you brought up are valid. And yet in spite of them, I enjoyed the story and the romance. {shrug} Believe me, it was as much of a surprise to me as anyone, lol.

The sad thing is, I have read other YA books that depict relationships in a much, MUCH worse light than Twilight, with not even half the public outcry. Like, if my best friend were in a relationship like Bella and Edward's, I might raise my eyebrows from time to time; but if she were in a relationship like some of the others I've read about, I would literally call the cops.

And at least in Twilight, there are a number of other female characters besides the heroine who ARE strong, and in distinct ways -- Alice, Rosalie, Esme.

I would also argue that Bella does gain strength/independence as the series progresses. (SPOILERS....................) She spends time with Jacob against Edward's wishes. She delivers a baby that almost kills her. She ends up saving everyone with her special mental abilities AND her powers of logic/reasoning/argument. (......................END SPOILERS)

But again, a lot of the examples you point out are valid. (Being handed off from one man to another. Eventually caving to Edward in most things. Taking initiative only to fail/be punished in some way.) So yeah, I think the series sends mixed signals.

The feminist in me does worry about what messages girls and women might take away from Twilight... but to be perfectly honest, if that ONE book can give them the wrong expectations, then society, their families, and their friends have already failed them in a huge way. By the time girls/women are reading Twilight, there should be a foundation in place that allows them to see the story for what it is: a wish-fulfillment paranormal romance. Seen in that way, it can be harmless.

I think what's far more disturbing are the stories that depict violence against women as entertaining, or don't allow female characters to have any significant thoughts or opinions at all, much less be wrong. Many of those books are popular as well -- and worse, at least one dares to call itself a feminist work. (Pardon me while I gag.)

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:04:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 5:09:37 PM PDT
Lorene says:
I absolutely hated Twilight. Main reason: oh yeah, let's teach 17/18 year old girls that they should spend the rest of their eternity with a guy they've know such a short time! Riiiiiight!!

I'm not a big fan of YA books based on what I have read so far, but I pick them up for my students. The best YA I've read so far (and Im not quite finished with it) is Dark Territory. Excellent Book! Am reading with my students and they beg for more. They are so worried about not finishing it, they are demanding I read it for at least an hour every day!!! It is over 500 pages, but there is not a bad page in the bunch! Tomorrow I will tell them the sequel will be out in early June. There will be partying in my classroom as they go nuts. Anyway, highly recommended book! Cross between The Outsiders and Romeo and Juliet, with major paranormal overtones! Even my boys love it! And they hate reading, 'girly books', and anything with romance!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 5:12:38 PM PDT
did they take like that whole section out of the movie?? now i want to read it to see

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:19:42 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
Hush, Hush, just, yuck. The heroine was worried the guy was stalking her and was trying to kill her, so she....makes out with him in her kitchen??

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 6:58:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 7:01:04 PM PDT
Agnes says:
The movie and the book are completely different. In the book, Mia's father is alive, and she has almost no relationship with her grandmother at all (even at the end of the book, she still dislikes her, and her grandmother is described as being extremely mean, though I thought Mia was worse).

Also, the whole princess aspect of the story, such as her transformation and the training she has to go through is vaguely mentioned. In fact, the reader isn't given much of an inside look at what Mia's doing to become a princess like the movie shows. Instead, Mia complains about everything, and you don't really find out what's going on behind the scenes.

Another thing I really hated, other than Mia disrespecting her father in public because of his testicular cancer, was that her father ends up paying $100 a day to her favorite charity, so that she'll spend time with her grandmother to become a princess. She complains about this amount after finding out how much money he really has, because she believes she should have gotten more. She's a selfish, horrible person. And she's supposedly all for animal causes, being a vegetarian, and saving the environment but her actions prove that she doesn't care a bit about people.

The book is so much more mature than the movie (I didn't even read past the first book, so I don't know how similar the second movie is to the other books in the series), and Mia is awful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:12:54 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
I'm glad I saw the movie and didn't give in to the urge to read the books then, they sound horrible, and would just taint a movie I really enjoyed.

Much like the vampire diaries books totally ruined the show for me, I haven't watched it since I found out how AWFUL Elena was in the books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:16:10 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Don't remind me. Elena was such a selfish brat. The first books in both series (Vampire Diaries and The Princess Diaries) are largely responsible for turning me away from YA for such a long time. I still remember Elena ordering characters around and thinking of herself ruling her high school. Ugh.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:28:16 AM PDT
BMW says:
Possession by Elana Johnson. Great premiss, HORRIBLE writing and even worse execution. Biggest dissapointment in recent memory, and considering I read it right after it came out over a year ago I think that says something.

Falling for Romeo by Jennifer Laurens. Nothing happens. Seriously, nothing.

Love Story by Jennifer Echols. Love all her other books but this one made me want to claw my eyes out.

And then the sequels, Bloodrose, Breaking Dawn, Mockingjay (yeah, MAJOR HG/CF fan but I really, really, realyyyy dislikes MJ)

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:46:11 AM PDT
Unknown says:
Any Twilight Books. I mean at first it was ok, but it never got better, it barely makes a two on a scale of 0-100.
Also Th House Of Night books. Th first few were good but then the main girl just starts falling in bed with everyone and not to mention the fact the mean girl turns out in the end to be a good guy. I Mean come on seriously?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  May 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions