Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > The Fountainhead forum

fountainhead or atlas shrugged?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2007 5:56:27 PM PST
Twan says:
I've never read anything by Ayn Rand but I want to however I don't know which one to start with..

fountainhead or atlas shrugged?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008 9:47:06 PM PST
Shadfox says:
I recommend starting with The Fountainhead. It's far more engaging a read, and the characters are fascinatingly complex. I can't say that for Atlas Shrugged.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 6:36:50 PM PDT
I have read both but would recommend Atlas Shrugged if you are only going to do 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 4:31:32 AM PDT
Gary Fisher says:
I'd agree with James Saunders -- "Atlas Shrugged" brings to fruition ideas that were only beginning to flower in "The Fountainhead." The two books are cut from the same cloth, but the stitching is more finished in "Atlas." That's not to say "The Fountainhead" is a lesser book, but that I think you'll understand it better and enjoy it more after reading "Atlas Shrugged."

My experience has been that most people who read "Atlas Shrugged" come away with a voracious appetite for more Ayn Rand; why not order BOTH books, save a little on the shipping, and have "The Fountainhead" ready when you finish "Atlas Shrugged." Both books belong in any good personal library anyway, and you'll be glad to have them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 3:01:49 PM PST
I love to read and consider myself a book snob. With that said, I did not enjoy Atlas Shrugged at all. Overrated book, and too long. Read it yourself and make up your own mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 9:38:54 AM PST
R. Ray says:
I actually read ANTHEM first. But between the two you listed, I think you should read the FOUNTAINHEAD first. I've heard someone describe those two novels in this way. "FOUNTAINHEAD explains that the leeches hate you. ATLAS shrugged gives more detail into the leech thought process, so you see WHY they hate you."

Posted on Apr 15, 2009 2:30:53 PM PDT
I agree with earlier comments - read "The Fountainhead" first, then the "Atlas Shrugged". "Atlas shrugged" is one of my most favorite books. Loved it! Very inspiring!

Posted on Apr 15, 2009 2:30:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 15, 2009 2:32:20 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 2, 2009 10:06:38 PM PDT
I think the best progression would be Anthem, The Fountainhead, and then Atlas Shrugged.

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 8:38:40 AM PDT
flyoverland says:
I agree. Read The Fountainhead first, then Atlas Shrugged. The only question is will Kindle have enough memory for Atlans Shrugged? Just a joke. Its like 1200 pages. It is an investment of time, but worth it. When I re-read it a few months ago, I told myself I was only allowed one chapter a day. You will find yourself wanting to read more and it will fly by.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009 7:14:16 AM PDT
Atlas Shrugged is better but you'll have to skip at least half of the "this is John Gault speaking" chapter to get the most enjoyment out of it. I like both books, but Ayn Rand has a tenancy to get on her soapbox and just rant. She does it a lot more in Atlas, and I think that is why many people don't like it. He thoughts are more develop in Atlas though and the plot better illustrates her point because of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2009 5:57:14 PM PDT
As a novel, I prefer the Fountainhead. As a vehicle for Rand's philosophy, I think Atlas Shrugged would be the best choice. Personally, I'd do almost anything for a Howard Roark, but John Gault seems too distant and barely human to relate to.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 8:30:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 8:31:06 PM PDT
MLB Prime says:
Atlas Shrugged. Hands down. Fountainhead is great; Atlas is astounding. It's hard to believe a human being wrote it.

As for it's length, I wish it were 10,000 pages. I could've read it for the rest of my life.

Here's my suggestion: Atlas, then We the Living. Fountainhead is similar, yet inferior to Atlas. We the Living is different in its own right. Anthem is interesting but very thin compared to the other 3 Rand novels.

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 11:45:35 AM PDT
For me, F is perfect; AS, self-indulgent. Philosophically, F is 'Aristotelian' (ethics of excellence and self-realization); AS adds a 'utilitarian' outlook--these minds are great in part because they are socially valuable (in fact, indispensable), which has the seeds of a conflict with her celebration of individual freedom and even 'egoism.' In the end, JG chooses the right, and socially useful course; but would it be equally 'good' if he chose to stay 'on strike?' There is a side of AR which says 'yes' and, I submit, a side that says, 'no.'

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 10:50:29 AM PDT
If you are young, read Fountainhead. It gives reason to the newly found "I" in your world. If you are looking for Rand's ultra-ultra conservative philosophy, go right to Atlas Shrugged. Either way, she was a fantastic writer.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 10:04:41 AM PDT
Without knowing the potential reader's POV and reading preferences, I'd go with Fountainhead, first.

I personally found it to a much easier read - an appetizer which if tasty, leads to the multi-course Atlas Shrugged.

Say another way, The Fountainhead is to Atlas Shrugged as The Hobbit is to The Long of the Rings.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 12:44:27 PM PDT
Atlas Shrugged is an overbearing, philosophically laden, deadened version of Fountainhead. I regret reading AS, it was a reiteration of Fountainhead, but bogged down and overbearing, it ruined some of the memory of Fountainhead for me and soured me on Rand in general.

The Fountainhead is a fine novel. Atlas Shrugged is a groping, cumbersome philosophic treatise poorly disguised as a novel. Too many monologues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 2:57:08 PM PST
Seastape says:
Read The Fountainhead first. For someone like me who does not wholly buy into Rand's beliefs, it is at least an okay read instead of an overbearing polemic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 8:45:28 PM PST
We the Living

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 3:32:21 PM PST
Robin Lapre says:
Fountainhead fo shizzle - every page is worthwhile. Atlas Shrugged sort of beats a dead horse IMHO... good characters, but can get a little preachy and after a while felt like saying, I GET THE POINT, AYN...
The Fountainhead is easier to get thru.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 3:55:54 PM PST
Yes Robin, well said. Atlas Shrugged beats a dead horse. Enough already, we get your point. It shouldn't take OVER 1200 pages to say what you are trying to say. I think it is the most over rated book I have ever read, and I highly recommend not wasting your time on this book.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 6:44:10 AM PDT
Steveareeno says:
I absolutely loved Fountainhead. I also liked Anthem. I will be starting AS soon.

Unfortunately, after reading exceptionally well written books like Fountainhead and Darkness at Noon (probably my favorite of all), I find myself unable to finish most other books I start because they are either poorly written or contain so much filler that you end up skipping page after page to get back to the storyline.

I read Darkness at Noon three times. I personally think it was one of the greatest books ever written.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:53:26 PM PDT
Benjamin K. says:
I actually despise Rand and find both novels to be unrealistic; that being said, The Fountainhead is a generally uplifting book, aside from the cliche rape-fantasy sequence.

The book would have benefited from the presence of an editor with a backbone who could have reined in Rand's tendency to verbosity and dense, philosophical speeches. I find her presentation of her ideas to be a bit hamfisted as well.

All in all, a good premise for a story, executed fairly. A satisfying read, if you agree with Rand and/or are capable of taking her with a grain of salt.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 11:54:18 AM PDT
Robin Lapre says:
I actually disagree with alot of Rand's conclusions, even though I love the arguments she makes and how she makes them. She really is just a reactionary product of her upbringing in Russia. I agree the rape thing was sort of dumb, and both stories are unrealistic but that is by design. I'm pretty left wing and I actually think her concepts in the Fountainhead are as liberal as you can get. Individuality and daring to be different are progressive views. IMHO she just draws the wrong conclusions as portrayed in Atlas Shrugged - She assumes that all businesses would be run by ethical people like Hank Rearden and Dagny Taggart, when in reality there are alot of James Taggarts out there and so you need some governmental oversight. Look at what happened by 2008 when Wall Street was left unchecked... it almost destroyed the economy!

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 12:30:45 PM PDT
Twan says:
I never thought I'd get so many comments!!

I actually did go with the fountainhead first and loved it. I was 20 when I read it and was amazed by it... Ayn and her world were opened up to me and it was crazy but somewhat comforting to learn about it. I do admit it made me a little bit crazy as I began to classify those around me as "Roark" types and "Keating" types..despising the latter! But the world can't be classified into such harsh black and white as both are extremes. Yes the book kind of goes over the top but at the same does make you wonder what the world would be like if there were more howard roark types, we cannot all by like him but I wish that more of us could in the sense of not being materialistic, being independent, original and honest. Ayn Rand is quoted saying something to the effect of "an honest man should never consume more than they have produced." How can you disagree with that?? She makes some valid points. It is greed and dishonesty that has lead the world to be in the mess that we are in now. And being in the design world myself..I DESPISE how blatant designers and architects rip each other off just to make a quick buck..I mean why go into this business if that is what you want to do? Howard Roark is an extreme but most of his characteristics and how he lives his life is admirable. The rape scene didn't bother me...I may be wrong but I interpreted it as the only way Dominique would ever loose her virginity. She would never give a man the satisfaction of possessing man in her eyes was worthy of that. She could not and would not be dominated by anyone or anything. And although I believe that she wanted Howard to be the man that changed things for her...she would not go willingly so it was rape but not really because she wanted it to happen-is that what makes it a cliche? anyway it has because one of my favorite books and I am glad I read it first like most people on here said to do.

However my problem now is that I'm afraid to read Atlas Shrugged because I do not want the fountainhead to be ruined for me. However with the movie coming out I am overcoming my fear and picking up Atlas Shrugged at the library tonight...

thanks for all your comments everyone!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Fountainhead forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Fountainhead
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (Hardcover - January 1, 1986)
4.2 out of 5 stars (1,788)