Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

Don't freak if you bought game on CD, bonus missions auto-install from CD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2012 2:31:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:34:12 AM PDT
Andre says:
I mentioned this in my DA Ultimate review but.. there's so many reviews that my own appears all the way near the bottom of them so I doubt anyone's going to see my own to begin with ! :P So hopefully if I put this in the "discussion" part people will see it before they purchase the game and not make the same mistake I did ...then again maybe most people aren't as dumb as me who knows ? :P ...

Basically here's what happened... installed the physical "comes on a DVD/CD" version of dragon age origins (not the download version) on my PC.. game prompted me to redeem this code that came with the game to get downloadable content "DLC", basically all the bonus missions and quests that make this game different from the "normal" version of Dragon Age Origins.. kept getting some sort of code is invalid sort of response and I FREAKED wondering if I was going to be able to get the DLC for my game to begin with.

I then checked bioware's forums (bioware being the "producers" of the game) .. there's a REALLY helpful article on there you should skim over before installing the game.. I wish I could post a link here right to it but I've found amazon tends to "edit out' any links published and make them unavailable (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong).. so I'm going to suggest just doing a google search for these words: PC Solutions FAQ - Ultimate Edition and UE DLC RaenImrahl .. that should pop the article right up .... scroll down to number 9 on that web page and check out what he says :

" I own a new copy of the retail disc version of DA:O-UE. Do I need to download the DLC/Awakening?

No. This is a common misconception. All of the "Downloadable Content" comes on the disc. The DLC portions of Ultimate Edition must be authorized once by logging in online through the game, however. If you have Patch 1.05 installed, you should only have to authorize this content once. "

To be honest I'm not 100 percent clear on the "logging online through the game" thing.. I THINK I registered my "old" normal copy of Dragon Age not ultimate edition online when I installed it (before I upgraded to DA Ultimate) they asked for an e-mail address and so forth and I was like "sure why not" and just gave it to them ... but I can confirm that the "DLC" is indeed part of the install from the game DVD/CD's themselves.. so no, despite the silly prompt it gives you during the game install saying " Hey make sure you redeem this code to get your DLC".. ignore that completely it's already part of the install from the game DVD and you're fine ;) (I think we can assume from this however that if you're installing DA Ultimate say as a digital download from amazon or steam for example that this DLC code WILL in fact be necessary).

Needless scare on the part of whoever is responsible for how the game install works for us persons who buy the game on CD/DVD they need to fix that ! But I can't fault them too much since I love this game so much ! :) ..

Anyways hope this helps anyone else who buys the CD/DVD version of this game ! :) ..

UPDATE - see also the very helpful info by James T that I just noticed (after publishing my own discussion on it :P ) on the " Does anybody know if the DAO Ultimate Edition will require internet connection for bonus content? " discussion .. going to leave my discussion up here however only because I still think the bioware article I referenced above is very handy reading for any PC user of this game :) ..

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:33:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:33:58 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - PC
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.9 out of 5 stars (513)