Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2006 1:36:00 PM PDT
jill rice says:
does this movie come in full screen format?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2006 1:14:43 PM PDT
James says:
No, only on the video.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2006 12:46:12 AM PST
I've read that the 2nd disc on the 2-disc edition has the full-screen version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2006 7:26:56 AM PST
C. Hammock says:
Why in God's name would you want a fullscreen version of this film??? Hats off to them for only releasing this in the way it was meant to be seen!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2007 9:18:17 PM PST
yes we are the only country that releases movies in full screen anymore! Everyone should always get wide screen, even if you don't have a wide screen tv, because a full screen movie cuts off up to half of the picture of screen, and you never know if you will be able to invest in a wide screen tv in the future!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2007 10:43:14 AM PDT
Because Full Screen does not cut the top of the actors' heads off or the bottom of the screen. The letterbox movies are 15 inches shorter on my TV than the full version is. What a waste.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2007 10:56:42 AM PDT
Wide screen is actually "Short screen" movies. When playing those DVDs on my TV they don't get any wider, and most of the widescreen TV sold are no wider than my TV. However, they are shorter, up to 15 inches shorter than a Full screen movie. I've compared my neighbor's TV to mine, side-by-side, running a full screen movie on my TV and a wide screen movie on his. No loss of picture was ever noticed. Even if something on the far outside of the picture is missing, so what? The camera is always centered on the main scene, actors, action, etc. If something on the outside of the frame was important, the director would pan to it so that it would be brought to your attention. Wide screen (Short screen) movies were conceived by the communications companies so that high definition pictures could be sent with less bandwidth, which saves them money. A full screen high definition frame has more pixels (bits per frame) which requires more bandwidth than the high definition widescreen. As long as they pitch this product to the masses as being better, no one questions it they just go out and buy it going deeper into credit card debt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2007 4:59:43 PM PDT
MaryM says:
I have a 110" screen with a Sony VW-100 projector and watching a widscreen movie is a waste. I agree there is nothing cut off in full screen but when watching a widescreen it's like watching a ribbon, loosing a lot of screen enhancement. I don't see why studios can't provide both version.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007 5:18:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2007 5:25:00 AM PDT
winddancer says:
hi jill, if this movie does come in fullscreen as well as widescreen, it "should" say so under Format. usually does, in my experience, and this one does not indicate that. am ordering this today anyway, can't find it anywhere else, not even 2nd-hand. I'll check it out and get back to you,
Kat
Although now I see it HAS been a YEAR since your post - guess I shoulda looked at the date sooner, huh? oh well, it was nice to read all these posts in favor of fullscreen; generally widescreen enthusiasts abound, and are very scathing in their comments. so I'll try to come back and leave the info anyway, just in case anyone might wonder.
by the way, good on ya, Edward R Wilcox, Jr, thanks for putting the info out there.
and Mary, a 110"screen, hooray, can I come live with you? I have lots of great dvds.......in fullscreen!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 5:03:50 AM PDT
Rents says:
What in the wor;d are you talking about. Widescreen tv's have an aspect ratio of 16:9 older tv's have an aspect ratio of 4:3 most current films and tv shows are shot in atleast am aspect ratio to fit 16:9 though many films are actually shot with a wider aspect ratio of 2:35 to 1. Widescreen has nothing to do with bandwith it has to do with seeing the original film closer to how it was intended. With fullscreen there is cropping on either or both sides of the picture. With widescreen there is no cropping you're seeing the complete image.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 6:18:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2007 6:33:43 PM PST
Some great comedic quotes from a man who doesn't get it and probably never will:

"When playing those DVDs on my TV they don't get any wider"

Timeless. One of those painful, almost silent belly laughs.

"I've compared my neighbor's TV to mine, side-by-side, running a full screen movie on my TV and a wide screen movie on his. No loss of picture was ever noticed. Even if something on the far outside of the picture is missing, so what?"

First of all, if your tube TV is is big as you say it is "most of the widescreen TV sold are no wider than my TV" then it must have been an outright slapstick farce watching you haul it over to your neighbor's house to "compare side-by side" which is totally bizarre on it's face. And lastly, the way you contradicted yourself there was classic! "no loss of picture" "so what if the far outsides of the picture are missing?" This is one for the ages.

"Wide screen (Short screen) movies were conceived by the communications companies so that high definition pictures could be sent with less bandwidth, which saves them money" and the subsequent gaffe...

Oh..... I can't stop laughing, it's too much... Holy crap! I could swear you just said that widescreen movies were conceived by "communication companies". Now, you seem plenty old enough to remember those good-old days when you paid a nickel to see the latest Bogart vehicle, got into the theater, and once the ushers with cigarette trays left and the velvet curtains opened up... yep, sure enough that screen was quite a bit wider than it was tall. So, onto the remainder of the issue -

If you weren't too afraid of the "conspiracy" to buy a widescreen HD set, you'd see what fuzzy crap the standard channels look like compared to HD, which then FILLS the SCREEN with crisp video instead of a square of pre-war tech grandpa video in the center. All this assumes you are intelligent enough to understand the proper settings of an HD TV. You strike me as the type who would sit for hours wondering why the people look "fat".

Edward R. Wilcox, Jr.

Throwback to a simpler time.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 2:14:24 PM PST
Robert says:
I don't understand it says fullscreen but I don't see it on here.Makes me mad I hate widescreen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011 10:28:11 PM PDT
J. Keller says:
You're not going to find fullscreen of this movie. Fullscreen is garbage and there's no reason to sell it that way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2006
Latest post:  May 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions