5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic

Published 12 months ago by K. Wasserman

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE - Would give 0 Starts if Icould, August 9, 2013
K. Wasserman (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
I can't believe Amazon would allow one of their trusted sellers to sell fakes. I received mine today and it took about 5 seconds to realize that it was fake. I could not register it on the ghd website, and I came across the information below to help identify fakes. This straightener did not have a reset button on the plug, and had many more of the 'give-aways' that it was a fake! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER.

After being burned TWICE on ebay on fake GHD stylers, I decided to tell you everything I know about how to spot a fake.

1. Real GHD stylers have plugs with reset buttons, like you would find on a hairdryer.

2. Real GHD stylers have one hole on the cord where it meets the body of the iron. (Some of the newer models after the Pure and Dark have two holes.)

* One of the fakes I bought had three holes and one didn't have any... so make sure to look!

3. Real GHD stylers (applies to Hot Pink only) have a solid pink cord, the cord does NOT have a black ring where it meets the back of the styler.

4. When I contacted GHD of North America, I was told that North American GHD's do NOT have holograms at all! (The models available in the U.S. after the Pure and Dark models came out include holograms. Older models do not.).

5. Real GHD stylers say "Made in P.R.C." on them or Korea. They never say "Made in China".

6. Real GHD stylers will NOT have a hook on the cord to hang up your styler.

7. Real GHD stylers have domed screws, not flat headed screws.

8. The GHD styler DVD should have a number code and barcode on the back (compare it to the back of a DVD movie you own, they should look the same on the back). The fake GHD DVD's say DVD R really small on the back of the DVD towards the center, sometimes it is very hard to spot.

9. The booklets that come with the GHD styler should have colored pictures. Some fake GHD stylers have black and white pictures.

10. FOR THE HOT PINK GHD STYLER: The female snap on the bag should have little stars, the fake ones DO NOT. The fake ones have a Chinese company name.

11. If you open up your styler (if all else fails!), a real GHD styler will have two microchips, one on each side by each flat iron plate. The fake ones only have one (if it even works!).

12. Real GHD stylers have very strong, thick boxes. Fake GHD stylers boxes often come beat up, dirty, and are slightly smaller.

13. Fake GHD stylers often come with black scuffs on the body of the styler. They are not taken care of very well like a genuine GHD styler.

14. Real GHD stylers come with two booklets, some fake stylers only have one.

15. CHECK THE BOX AND TAGS! One of the fake GHD stylers that I received had misspellings on the tag! Apparently they don't use spell check.

16. Real GHD stylers have a date code on the inside of the body of the styler. It should have the year, month, then day.

17. LOOK AT THE BOX: One of the fake GHD stylers that I received (a hot pink one) had two different shades of hot pink on the top of the box.

18. HOT PINK GHD STYLERS should come with a card inside of the wrap and roll bag that says "Thou shalt surrender to pink". A fake GHD won't come with that.

19. Fake GHD stylers often come with the seal loose on the inside of the box. A real GHD should be sealed from the outside. (Does not apply to Dark or Pure since they have not been released in the US yet).

20. For the classic GHD stylers, the box should be matte, not shiny.

21. Hot pink GHD's should have black writing, not white writing.

22. Real GHD's sensor lights are clear but will flash red when ready to use and make a funny beep. Fake GHD's sometimes do not flash red or are solid red, not clear.

BEWARE of sellers with LOW FEEDBACK! Ask sellers questions about the 22 things I have pointed out above. If they do not answer, don't buy! If they make excuses, don't buy! Also, some buyers who have been ripped off are trying to resell their GHD's to cut their losses. Watch for things like "I got it as a gift" or "I recently cut my hair". One of the seller's I purchased from was supposed to be shipping out of Georgia but he really shipped from China. Don't believe everything you read about a seller's information. They can lie.

One of the sellers I purchased from actually bought her GHD's from a salon, and they were still fake! If in doubt, only buy from an approved stockist. You can find a list of approved stockists from GHD's website.

Always pay through PayPal if you still have doubts so you are protected and don't be afraid to ask for pictures from the seller to verify the plug, the DVD, or anything else you have questions on. Always ask questions before buying and remember, if it looks too good to be true, IT PROBABLY IS!

***UPDATE***

The GHD Dark and Pure stylers are now available in the US and there are a ton of fakes on ebay now. Always always ask about the plug. One way you can always tell a fake is it will have a plug like a lamp. If it is REAL it will ALWAYS have a plug with a reset button, like a hair dryer.

GOOD LUCK! I hope this keeps someone else from getting burned like I did!

1.0 out of 5 stars Received a FAKE direct from Amazon, January 12, 2012
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
After reading all the cautionary tales about fakes I ordered this gift for my wife directly from Amazon to avoid the problem of unscrupulous sellers. To our dismay the item Amazon shipped us appears to be a counterfeit since we can't register it on ghd's site. Also, the box says that it was "Manufactured in P.R.C." whereas everything else I've read says the real ones are made in South Korea. I'm very disappointed that Amazon doesn't have better control over its supply chain. Caveat Emptor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, November 30, 2010
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
I had some concern that this iron was counterfeit. I had purchased knockoff CHI irons (unbeknownst to me) on this site before. Fortunately, as I found, GHD has a verification tool on their site. Take the time to register your iron there to make sure it's not a fake [...] As far as the iron itself, it is a sturdy, quality iron that heats up lightning fast. It even has a beep to let you know it's ready to go. I especially love the 30 minute, automatic shut-off feature, a must for forgetful people like me ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars How to purchase a legit GHD like mine!, May 13, 2012
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
Okay so to begin I wanted a GHD being the top of the line hair straightener in competition with the sudo but I didnt want to pay the $200 price tag so Amazon was my best choice.

I want to say my previous hair straightener was a Solia which is also one of the top hair straightener and I purchased it straight from folica.com

Compared to the solia the GHD defiantly beats it and I'm very happy I purchased it.

A lot of complaints for the GHD was that people kept getting FAKE non legit ones, I am happy to say I received a legit GHD and you can too.
The best way to know if it is legit whether it comes from Amazon or not is to check the sellers reviews (always do so). I usually buy from those who have usually more then 1000 reviews and score at least a 97%. That is how you know whether you are getting the real deal.

Second, when you receive it, to test its authenticity sign up for its warranty from the little paper they give you included. If it has the shiny sticker inside the clasps of the straightener it is most likely the real deal but to make sure you should sign up for again, its warranty. If it goes through, congrats you have a REAL GHD!

This is how you can tell if your GHD is a FAKE FAKE FAKE!
-if it is made in china (it is manufactured in P.R.C. or South Korea)
-if the warranty does not work
-if you do not have the shiny sticker in it

Also, be cautious when buying from a third party seller.
Also, the warranty will most likely be voided if you buy from Amazon, but you should still sign up for it to check for its authenticity.

Hope this helped guys

5.0 out of 5 stars Legit Product- LOVE IT!, July 11, 2012
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet and purchased the ghd straightener! I had been eying it for years on Sephora, but could never shell out that much money. Needless to say, I was really excited to find it for a discounted price on Amazon. I was really skeptical after reading mixed reviews and warnings about receiving fakes. The straightener I got is completely legit and I was able to register it on the ghd website with no problems.

I have very thick, wavy, medium-length hair. With my old straightener (a Remington Wet 2 Straight) I'd have to put it on the highest setting to get any results. In turn, I got tons of split ends, and my hair looked dry, frizzy, and damaged. The second I walked out the door, my hair would immediately begin to poof up again (I live in the South- hello, humidity!). With the ghd straightener, there are no heat settings. It heats up in seconds and automatically adjusts to the meet the needs of your hair. I was amazed at how it glided so easily throughout my hair and left my thick, wavy hair pin straight after 1 pass, instead of 3 or 4 (or 5) like my old straightener. My hair doesn't get snagged anymore! Instead, I'm left with shiny, silky, and healthy straight hair. Even my boyfriend noticed the difference the first time I used it! I was also impressed that it stayed completely straight after spending time outside in 90% humidity.

I am extremely pleased with this and it completely exceeds my expectations. I hope this lasts a long time!

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE, May 7, 2014
laurel (new jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
i called GHD directly and they told me there was NO WAY TO AUTHENTICATE this product unless i mailed it directly to them for inspection. They said the hologram and other numbers have been copied and even if their website accepts the product code it done NOT indicate that the product is genuine. NOT WORTH THE RISK OF FIRE OR BURNS and the cost of an inferior product. Stop the Fraud! Don't purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars A high quality styler that heats up quickly and works great, August 23, 2014
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are less expensive stylers, but if you use one everyday, you want one that works very well.

This one works great. It's well-built, to begin with. The grip is easy to hold, and it springs open when you aren't clamping it. There's a very long (9 foot!) cord, and unlike any others I've seen, it connects to the styler with a swivel. That makes it easy to maneuver, especially for styling someone else's hair if you need to walk around them and go at it from all sides. The other thing that makes this extremely useful is how quickly it heats up and is ready to go. Turn it on, and it beeps, and then, in under half a minute, it beeps again twice, signaling it is ready.

You can straighten hair, very quickly, and it does an impressive job. Curling is easy too, whether you go for tight curls or wavy hair.

If you leave it sitting and forget to turn it off, it shuts off automatically after half an hour. (I almost think that it would be better to shut off after 15 minutes inactive. Given how quickly it heats up, that wouldn't be a bother if you happened to step away too long inadvertently.)

Easy-to-use, built-to-last, and built safe, this heats up quickly and does a good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Ceramic Curler for All Your Hair Needs, August 25, 2014
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What do you need your hair to do? Curl? Waves? Straighten? This award-winning elegant, stylish 1-inch curler can do it.
It has a sleek black look and features an extra-long 9-foot swivel extension cord. It will work well with short or long hair. It features universal voltage so that it provides consistent heat even when traveling (you must provide the international adaptor). All in all, this is a great all-purpose styler that feels great in your hands and delivers the look you desire for your hair. It also has an automatic shut-off feature, and will shut off after 30 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flat iron @ a great price!, July 21, 2014
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
7/21/14 - I purchased this flat iron on May 25, 2013. I've used this product every day since then with no issues. Also the styler is NOT a fake and I was able to register it on GHD's website with no problem. I only buy products that are ship and sold from Amazon.com only! Maybe that is why so many people have received fakes, I'm not sure. I have course thick hair and this flat iron has been wonderful. The plates are hot, but doesn't damage my hair or the ends. I would recommend this flat iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost without my GHDs, January 21, 2014
This review is from: ghd Classic 1-inch Styler (Misc.)
I was stung once buying some fake GHDs online, but these are the real deal. They are perfect. I,ve been using them for years and my last pair gave up after five years of daily use.

ghd Classic 1-inch Styler