5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm
Published on August 10, 2010 by Nick Preuninger

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money
Published on April 30, 2011 by L. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm, August 10, 2010
This review is from: goPoint Technology GL1 OBD-II Accessory for iPhone/iPod/iPad (Electronics)
Just starting out as a DIYer, I'd been looking into code readers but was put off by the price of many scan tools that can do more than pull the trouble codes. I was skeptical about this at first and spent weeks searching the internet for reviews. Then my SES light went on after doing some work myself and I finally decided to purchase this little cable. I couldn't have been more pleased.

Why I love it:

Totally easy plug and play technology. Plug it in to the OBD II port and the iPhone, turn on the car, the iPhone vibrates once it has made the connection, start the app. That's it. Awesome.

Reads and clears DTCs. So instead of going to a mechanic and spending $50 for him or her to tell you you forgot to plug a sensor back in (or your gas cap is loose), you can find that out yourself. Scan your car and clear the codes twice and this thing has paid for itself.

It DOES charge your iPhone--or at least provide A charge to your iPhone. If the iPhone is plugged in and you're not running the app, the phone charges. If you're running the app, the charge decreases, but very slowly. My assumption is that due to how resource heavy the app is, the drain on the battery is more than the incoming charge and so even though the phone is being "charged" you're still going to loose some.

All in all, this is a great little tool(/toy), and I look forward to it getting even better with updates to the app in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money, April 30, 2011
I don't normally do reviews but for this one I wanted to to warn others to at least wait a couple of years until this company could get it right. Like others have said this is a BETA product at best when coupled with its BETA apps on the App store. I bought it as soon as it came out because I was looking for a scanner and had just bought my iphone and saw there was an app for it along with the cable. I got the cable and immediately plugged it in to my 96 Accord, and bam....nothing. I unplugged, replugged....nothing. I immediately contact customer NO service and got a response a few days later. Basically I got an old style cable...hmmm...what? It just came out, how could it be old? Any way they sent me the new cable, apparently Apple wouldn't let them upgrade the firmware through the app so they had to send me a new cable with new firmware. Plugged it in and finally it pulled up the screen and worked. Tried it on my 00 Grand Prix and nothing happened. Unplugged, plugged back in and finally a screen comes up that this product isn't optimized for this accessory. Huh? Unplugged, plugged in and finally it worked. Contacted customer NO service and two weeks later they contact me back on their pathetic customer NO service forum. Basically in a nutshell, its a great concept with poor execution and even POORER support from the makers who have no idea apparently what they are doing and have some pretty bad and slow techs. Not to mention that the company changed names late last year which in hopes would have given the maker more time to develop the product than worry about business affairs, but alas as of yet the updates haven't made it and basic functions the app originally should have had and were promised (MPG calculator, readiness monitors, etc) are sold as separate apps while my cable collects dust in the center console. My advice wait a few years until they or someone else gets it right and don't waste your time with their forum either as many frustrated customers such as myself await reconciliation with the creators for a product that basically functions as promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for "check engine" light, March 11, 2010
I recently used the goLINK to diagnose the OBDII codes for "check engine" in my 2001 Mazda minivan. I did not trust the dealership and wanted to know the codes myself. I was truly impressed with the ease of use and effectiveness of the product. Just download the free app, plug it in and scroll through the menus. This little device saved me hundreds of dollars in repair bills.

1.0 out of 5 stars A $100.00 phone charger, August 13, 2011
I am very sorry I ordered this product. There was no instructions with it. I looked it up online. I followed the instructions and nothing. It charged my phone, but no quick scan, no anything. I contacted the Go-Point Technology support and for three days went back and forth with them. I was told to turn my phone on and off. I was told to do a quick scan constantly, even though I had told them repeatedly that I was unable to do a quick scan. I spent 100.00 to charge my phone. I sent an email explaining that I was going to give them 24 hrs. to either offer a replacement or solve my problem. I heard back from them, after the time limit, offering a replacement, but why not try to turn my phone on and off again before I return it. I returned it and ordered another product for the same price, but it does more. Of course, all it had to do was turn on in order to do more than the go-point product. My advice is to due a little research. There are better products for less or equal amount with less headaches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worrthless, troublesome, Frustrating, April 12, 2011
This thing Never worked. Software would not regonize the cable. Customer service resent a cable. Neither worked. Returned for my money back. Invested in a REAL scanner. First, I wasted my money buying the cable, then wasted hours of my time trying to get it to work. A REAL scanner plugs in and works, instantly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Identify Nissan Codes, November 19, 2010
After using a handheld Actron for a few years I decided to go higher tech and use my iphone. Unfortunately, the GoLink software leaves a lot to be desired: it has a 3 second or so lag from realtime reading, it does not allow you to view systems readiness (so you know if your car can be inspected), and codes that it reads on my Nissan Maxima are all identified as P0000. No help at all.

Not ready for prime time and if I can figure out how to return the cable without having to pay for shipping off it goes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more testing - More or less a BETA product now, June 22, 2010
I bought one of these and tested it on 4 different cars - 1999 Miata, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 GMC Canyon and 2010 Sienna. It will read some of the data from the OBDII port but not all and I found quite a few displays resting at 0. GoPoint says they have new software in the works but I didn't want to be part of their BETA test team so I sent it back for a refund. Good idea just not there yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars great concept, but needs work, December 4, 2010
HPB (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a great concept, but needs work to get it there: some serious, undocumented hickups just getting it to work properly (I finally did), then, it did not read all error codes on my Focus (I got only P0000 - not useful), and the live data readings are quite limited.
Returned the product, but I would purchase again once its mature.
Better would be a Bluetooth connection, btw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea. Terrible implementation, August 2, 2011
I bought this to track performance and check DTC's when the engine light was thrown. On a 2004 Saturn, which uses a standard GMC code set, it cannot compute mileage, listed an oxygen sensor fault for a Land Rover, and basically sucks.

I have sought help from GoPoint, and have heard nothing from them in return, it has been three weeks.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I saw dicey reviews, but I thought that since I have such a basic requirement it would be fine. It isn't.

Buy yourself a purpose made scan tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, January 19, 2011
Be careful!! This can be a great tool and has worked in reading and resetting CEL's on my GMC Sonoma, but it can also cause problems with some vehicles. I connected it to my Lexus LS430 and it caused a loss of calibration for the wheel sensors. Aparently the scanner can use a different protocol than the vehicle uses and send signals to the vehicle that can cause issues. Thank goodness there was a manual fix to this VSC light problem that didn't require taking it in to Lexus. In all fairness I must add that I did not contact this product tech support before or after this incident, but I did have the latest revision at the time.

Rate and Discover Movies