Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Is it good for college and gaming
asked by Rebecca on October 20, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
Definitely good for you college, can take care 95% gaming at a good performance.
Benjamin Shao answered on October 22, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jake answered on October 22, 2012

A
Def good for gaming. I'm playing D3 on it currently. For college you might prefer a MacBook Air. The weight savings really does make a difference. You also have to consider cost to replace/repair from abuse. There may be some issues with comparability, but I knew lots of people at UCD that used macs without issue. And know law students using em now with 0 problems.
A. Reader answered on October 22, 2012

A
I don't game but the hardware is all there. It has more than enough for efficient gaming. Now as for college, I can't think of a better laptop for school. I hope this helps!
Estee answered on October 22, 2012

A
If you're budget allows, then certainly. You won't need to upgrade for at least 3 years, but if you're a serious gamer then perhaps it isn't for you. That sounds a bit contradictory but here's why: serious gamers generally want the ability to upgrade their drives,graphics cards, ram, swap them out, etc, to keep up with the industry and this obviously is the achilles heel of the Retina. I do a lot of graphics intense work, not gaming per se, but everything from CAD modeling to large scale photoshop layouts and it's never come close to stuttering.
Brian T. answered on October 22, 2012

A
Yes for both. The MBP will run all of the typical apps used in college and is used by many professors and students - so compatibility generally won't be an issue. Also, the new retina MBP is a great gaming laptop. The only problem is that the array of available games for Mac is still small compared to Windows. The new laptop plays the available games wonderfully.
StatsProf answered on October 22, 2012

A
That is a tough question. What are you taking in school? If I had this while I was doing my engineering in school it would have been really nice. That being said a decent HP laptop would have worked. For the gaming you will need to bootcamp the laptop but once that is done the gaming is very impressive. I was sold on the comfort, style and design of the laptop.

Short answer: if I had that sort money of spend while I was in college yes I would have purchased this laptop.

Hope that helps.
SMurray answered on October 22, 2012

A
Yes i bought it for college and the gaming graphics are pretty good but some of the programs you will need to download/buy for college would be Pages and Numbers and any other programs that you will need but if your going to be watching movies and paying dvds you will need to buy the Super Drive(79$) but if you want a mac that already has a superdrive installed i would go with the older version the Macbook Pro(it's Thicker) you can find more information about these in the apple online store apple.com
David answered on October 22, 2012

A
It's good for collage (prob too good).
I wouldn't get this for gaming though. Consider a PC for gaming... being a mac fan I still gotta admit that PC is a much better deal for the power and it's smoother on PC too.
This is more for video or graphic stuff.
funbi1112 answered on October 22, 2012

A
I would say it is very good for college, fast, good battery life and lightweight. I am very satisfied with this laptop. I am not a gamer so I can not make a judgement there.
Mike Guy answered on October 22, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product