Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > A Thousand Splendid Suns forum

I got my 13 y/o to read THE KITE RUNNER!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2007 1:00:23 PM PST
My daughter saw how I was having a time putting down TKR & when I'd tell her how the plot would take unexpected twists, I could see by her eyes she was interested. But I would not give anything away. I actually saw this as my chance to pounce. Get her to read something MEATY. So, being the good mother I am, I offered her money (yes, money!) if she would finish it in 2 weeks. People, I am proud to report that she should be done by this Wednesday if she is to collect. She actually likes the book!!Why didn't I think of this earlier????????

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007 11:26:19 PM PST
N. Florence says:
Are you going to give her extra money if she gives you a book report?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007 10:14:39 AM PST
You seem to miss the point: it's not about the money, it's about getting her to open her mind to new literature & change her attitude in general about reading. I was such a reader when I was her age, as I'm sure you probably were too, so it's a bit disappointing to see that she ONLY reads that junk that's assigned in school. I really want her to look for enrichment. She knows & appreciates that & has asked if A Thousand Splendid Suns(which I'm reading now) is for her too. Lighten up, N. Florence. Got any kids?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007 12:04:10 PM PST
Fareed says:
Robin,

It's inappropriate of you to tell Florence to "lighten up". It was a legitimate comment. Florence makes a point worthy of discussion. I agree that we sometimes need to find creative ways to get our children to pay more attention to books, but is paying them appropriate? Why not motivate with non-monitary rewards, like say a trip to the zoo, or a tidepool... another educational experience that is fun, rather than glorifying the gift of money. Are you going to give her money everytime she reads a book? And if so, then why not pay her to write a report, sharpening her writing and critical thinking skill? It sounds like your daughter was ready to read it anyway... "lighten up". Geez.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007 10:24:15 PM PST
C. Felton says:
Yes, I find it very good that you are opening your 13 year old's mind to more meaty and intelligent literature, but are you sure that TKR is the right book for her age? I found myself (at 27) a little squemish about some parts and you are promoting (and even paying) your 13 year old to read it? Not sure that this was the best book to start your crusade!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2007 4:51:11 PM PST
Ashby says:
I would never encourage my child to read this book. It deals with adult issues that children do not need to be exposed to (especially by choice). I found out that the school had it on their list of reading in 8th grade -- very inappropriate!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 2:22:19 PM PST
The only thing that would seem squeamish that stands out in my mind would be the rape scene in the alley. But I found that scene handled quite well while at the same time conveying the horror of it. Having gotten over that, the rest of the book dealt with realities - such as they are - like jealousy, cowardice, betrayal, guilt and redemption (sort of). I , for one, felt my 13 y/o would look at reading with more "joy," so to speak, if she could just get her hands on something more realistic and engaging than the mediocrity they offer in school! Remember the "heavy classics" we HAD to read in school? Where are those required anymore other than the private schools? I went to parochial school in NY, no less, strict curriculum & besides the required, I was reading those "heavy" romance novels, Stephen King, Anne Rice and Jackie Collins. That was grade 9!! No where to go but up. I think it's wonderful that it's on the list. My daughter is also 8th grade and she loved it. She did ask to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I didn't encourage it much. But if she persists, then I would. I think what it comes down to is the kid. Are they mature enough to handle it, although to contradict myself, I really dont see what there is to handle. Kids are way too coddled today. Just answer the questions they ask. At least its the CORRECT information coming from YOU. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 12:03:48 AM PST
Have you kid read "Detained Differences" its like A Thousand Splendid Suns as well. Its by J. Robert Rowe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 11:53:04 AM PST
i just put it on my list, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008 2:31:32 PM PST
Robin,

"Book Reviewer" is plugging his own book. Not being forthright about this is not entirely ethical. I would check out some of the reviews before buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008 2:49:31 PM PST
Mominator! says:
Oh, Patrick!

I didn't even think to look up the author! But how could you know who he was if he was signing in as "Book Reviewer?" Not ethical indeed. Good call. Thanks!

As for you "Book Reviewer,"

Why didn't you feel the need to disclose that you were the author, if you are? Is that how you garner reviews yourself? All you had to do was say that you were the author. I might have been actually impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 6:45:08 PM PST
JK says:
same here. I was squemish too about some of the child rape thing there. I dunno.... I would not let my kids read it... But you could let them read a thousand splendid suns. that was free of questionable stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 7:24:12 PM PST
L. Valle says:
I agree with you in thinking TKR is not appropriate for a child of 13. Personally I had a hard time dealing with how the book made me feel for a couple of weeks. I just couldn't get it out of my head. My 14 year nephew is an avid reader, but my sister deemed this read too "mature" for even him and he's read many of our books. As for 13 year olds my daughter is into the Clique books, but I was actually surprised when she wanted to read my copy of "Animal Farm" and this "intelligent literature" may not even be age appropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 8:03:31 AM PST
Mominator! says:
I appreciate your feedback, but have you read those Clique books? I was going to get my daughter into them, also, but felt all the cattiness, back-stabbing, gossipping, jealousy & general bitchiness was not what I wanted her to perfect. Please don't misinterpret my tone. I'm not saying that is something you condone, just that there are a lot of books like this out there right now geared towards our daughters' age group & having read TKR, I thought it riveting material for someone like my daughter. I understand the rape scene was "traumatic" for many people, but pardon me, I was not affected that way. I must say I was surprised that it happened under those circumstances, but was not devasted, for lack of better word here. I think it comes down to the child & what they can handle. I was reading "mature" books at her age & learned immeasurable info no one else would have ever taught me.

Just one more thought: it amazes me that parents deem books like this "inappropriate" yet let these same 13-y/o's see "R" rated & slice 'em & dice 'em films with no qualms whatsoever. Just a thought...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2008 4:57:36 PM PDT
EJP says:
I'm 14, a HS freshman, and I recently picked this book at my school's library and read all of it within a time span of 12 hours (it's so good!). The rape scene was pretty horrifying, but it's not as if it left me permanently scarred. Plus, the event was handled carefully and artfully by the author. I can't see how it would "hurt" someone my age - should I become so emotional at the thought of someone being raped that I can't eat, sleep, or go to school? This is something that goes on every day all over the world, and any teenager who hasn't been previously placed in a bubble by their overprotective parents should be able to handle it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2008 6:05:11 PM PDT
Mominator! says:
Oh, how nice of you to respond in such a mature manner. Twelve hours!!! I am impressed! You obviously have NOT "been previously placed in a bubble by overprotective parents" and you seem to have taken the book for what it was: a fabulous work of ficton. Thank you for helping me make my case.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 8:53:04 AM PST
That book will destroy your daughter.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 10:18:34 AM PST
mominator! says:
How, Zakaria?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 4:17:53 PM PST
I was just exaggerating about that but the book has some scenes that can be inappropriate for some teens.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 10:03:42 AM PDT
I read this book when i was nine or ten, and nobody paid me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Paperback - November 25, 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars (4,117)