‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Reality Check, July 25, 2010
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
Summer's beauty salon, HEAVEN, is the place to be. Not only can you get the best weave in all of NYC, but you're certain to pick up the latest gossip as well. Right now, Summer is preoccupied with her own thoughts as she yearns to be called mommy. Her salon is named after her first baby, Heaven, who died of SIDS. Summer and her husband, David, have unsuccessfully tried to conceive. While David keeps suggesting adoption, Summer wants to have her own child. Soon David is coming home later and going on last minute business trips. Has her wants exceeded his needs?

Constance and Summer were best friends who also worked side by side. A single mother, Connie was madly in love with Reggie, a married, successful lawyer. While she knew that it was wrong, you just can't help who you love, can you? She willingly puts her daughter Meagan's needs off in order to satisfy Reggie's. After so many tears, Connie soon realizes that she could do better. Will her needs finally be met?

Renee, the fashionista of the trio, is bodacious and boisterous. She and her fiancé, Sean aka Frog, have been engaged for two years and she's ready to set a date. After he begrudgingly agrees to her terms, Renee's insatiable appetite gets her in a sticky situation. Instead of working on what's wrong, Renee is already on what's next. Can her needs be quenched by him only?

"I Gotta Make it to Heaven for Going Thru Hell" was surprisingly a good story. Full of conflict, readers are quickly engaged in the friends' lives, loves, wants and desires. I try to avoid reading the synopsis on books, but after reading the book, I realized it didn't match the story. While I started and finished the book in one day, the one thing that bothered me through the entire story was having to reread something to make sense or trying to figure out the time line as the story is happening simultaneously to the three friends. This book is definitely in need of a professional copyeditor as well as a developmental editor. I believe if these adjustments are made, then this would definitely be a 5- star read.

3.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEEDED ALL EXPECTION, IMPATIENTLY WAITING ON THE SEQUEL...., May 19, 2010
DivineBrown (Panhandle, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
THE BOOK IS AMAZING! What else can I say? I never expected such detail, allure and courage from a first time author. I was literally TALKING OUT LOUD READING THIS ON A PLANE! Initially, I thought the chapters were kinda short, however, I now know that was BY DESIGN. You get pulled in as the book reaches it's climax. It was so descriptive, it was almost like watching a movie as the scenes play out in your mind. Honestly, it's one of the most memorable books I've ever read because of the RISK taken by the author. You think to yourself.....I KNOW THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN, I KNOOOOW THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN. OH WOW, IT HAPPENED. The writer was extremely BOLD AND DARING as she tied it all together.

I loved this book and I appreciated the authors lead in and build up. The character development was amazing! I felt like I personally knew these women. This book has everything that I look for in a good read. I was so impressed and proud. I only have one complaint....that I didn't wait until the follow up came out to read it. I'm anxious to see where the author can go since she took us there in this novel. I finished the book in 2 days and my friend did the same. IT'S DEFINITELY one of those books that's impossible to put down. I call that money well spent!!! I might even read it again. (lol)

BUY THE BOOK! AND BUY ONE FOR A FRIEND SO THEY DON'T TAKE YOURS. The potential for this author to have longevity as a writer is high. I'm anxious to continue to series. LOVED IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!!, October 20, 2010
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book, and I'm upset with myself for taking so long to purchase it!!!! A definite page turner indeed, and I completed it in less than one day! This book will make you yell, curse, cry, and sometimes wanna snatch up the characters by the collar. LOL. This book also shows the strengths and weaknesses of the characters' personalities, their friendships, and even their relationships. It also shows the growth in the characters as well. I had a love/hate relationship with some of the characters in this book. I loved several of the characters for their different goals in life and their ways of achieving those goals, but I hated several of the characters due to their selfish, and petty ways. Excellent book all around.

Anxiously waiting for Part 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, October 26, 2009
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
I had to go on an excursion this past Saturday which involved me having to ride a bus-for three hours. Thanks goodness I had this book! From the very first paragraph, the book had my instant attention, and I could not put it down. The author jumped right into the nitty-gritty, introducing the reader to all three characters right away. They are all very believable; each character is highly developed, very three dimensional and has her own, unique personality. The banter between Summer, Constance and Renee is quick, witty and real. I can easily see a little of them all in some of my own female friends. The only bad thing I can think of to say is that I finished the book to soon! I had nothing to read on the ride back to the city.

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL LIFE, October 26, 2009
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
This book was so good I read it in one night. To the Author, the title will have you believing it deals with religion. Not.
I stopped reading urban books for quite a while now, they no longer caught my intrest, reason be, reading one book or 10 they were all the same. Everyone living in a fantasy drug world. Well I deal with reality, and this book was. 3 african american CAREER women living a day to day life, in relationships like myself. The book shows life has its ups and downs,but the 3 friends stood by each other side, UNTIL,,,,A good suspense at the end. I highly recommend this book to both men and women. A must read. I understand this was the author first book. She did well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, October 27, 2009
K. Cicero (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
"I Gotta Make It To Heaven For Going Thru Hell" is a gripping first attempt by Iesha Womack that mingles friendship, deceit, lies, and redemption. It is a tale of three women who grew up as childhood friends from different backgrounds and at various junctions in life. The actions of a few unknowingly bind the friends together even as it seems they are drifting further apart. Just as a balance finally seems at hand a curve ball is thrown that will change the dynamics of the threesome forever. This book was one of those rare page turners that I did not put down until I finished. If you're looking for a good read this book is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twist & Turns, December 9, 2009
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
"I Gotta Make It To Heaven for Going Thru Hell" is a gripping story of friendship and love. This book brings you an in depth look at complex issues within family, friendship, intimate, and professional relationships. The book is filled with moments of betrayal, laughter and heartache that will have you reflecting on your own daily life experiences. If your open to reading and growing with the characters as they journey through the stages of love and lust in life than this book is for you. I look forward to more of Iesha Womack's work and you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, June 22, 2010
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
I think the book was very well written -- especially for a first-time author. The plot had so many twists and turns it kept you engaged every minute. The characters are very easy to relate to and sometimes I found myself cursing at some of them! The book deals with themes that are familiar to any woman: friendships/relationships, love, deceit and trust -- or the lack thereof. It's a great weekend read. I can't wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 2, 2009
This review is from: I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell (Paperback)
WOW! Iesha Womack put out a nice relatable book of friendship, lust, deception, & DRAMA! 3 friend girls, whom 1 is married, another friend girl is having sexual relations with a married man & the other friend girl who is promiscuous and is confused as to what she wants. All 3 friends are going through their own individual DRAMA, however at the end all of their drama comes full circle!

4.0 out of 5 stars quick read, May 11, 2014
I really enjoyed the book; I want more. I can't wait for the next book. Thanks for the suggestion friend, TW.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell
I gotta make it to Heaven for going thru Hell by Iesha Womack (Paperback - October 5, 2009)
$16.99 $15.29