what's up with the price gouging? $300 markup over what reputable dealers are selling the camera for seems pretty ridiculous. Sure, they are in short supply and you may have to wait a little while to get one. But is getting it a little sooner really worth $300? You can get some nice accessories or a flash for that money.
asked by Glenn A. Auve on December 1, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
These scalpers are part of the reason it is in short supply. Every time something like this happens, people will buy from the price gougers which will only encourage them to do it again next time a highly coveted item is released. Its pretty dispicable if you think about it. These guys go and buy up the product from stores before people WHO ACTUALLY WANT IT can. Then they sell it to those people for a profit. Its almost like stealing...
tofumaker answered on December 3, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Norman Camera is a reputable dealer, but for them to take advantage of the demand for this camera to up the price by $300 is intolerable. I'd rather wait until the supply catches up with demand and pay a fair price.
In the meantime, my D300 still serves my needs quite well.

If consumers simply refuse to pay inflated prices, the dealers won't be able to get away with this price gouging.
John A. Fugel answered on December 3, 2010

A
or you can get the D7000 kit from Amazon for the list price of $1500. So you get the body plus the lens for the same price these guys are charging for the body only
Glenn A. Auve answered on December 3, 2010

A
shop around there are plenty of places that sell it for the retail price
® answered on December 26, 2010

A
It is unfortunate, but if the market will bear a $300 mark up then that's what will see... the D90 had similar markups when it was introduced. Might be worth waiting until after the holidays when demand (hopefully) goes down and supply increases.
Gragg Vaill answered on December 2, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just bought d7000 body only from Camera Kings (it was in stock) for $1159.00 came with free shipping and some assorted goodies.
John W. Murray answered on December 31, 2010

A
Yep, they still have them. Be advised though that this is model is an import (i.e. you will not have a Nikon USA warranty). You won't be able to get it serviced here by Nikon if you have any problems with it. Probably not a big deal, I bought my D80 as an import and it's still going strong since the summer of 2007 many thousands of clicks later. :=D
DJM answered on December 31, 2010

A
Only issue with these "iported ones" is in case of any issues.

Given we had heard from some folks that earlier models, amybe with earlier firmware had some issues.. so I think it will be very risky to get a bad one like that and be left in the middle of nowhere by Nikon.
Keen Eye answered on January 3, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›