Profile for Chris L. Holmes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris L. Holmes RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Godinger RECTANGULAR TRAY
Godinger RECTANGULAR TRAY
Offered by M & S Gifts
Price: $14.37
19 used & new from $12.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Silver Plated Material'...it's Primarily Zinc Plated, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Godinger RECTANGULAR TRAY
After reading the insert that comes with the item, it actually states that it's Zinc plated and not 'silver plated material'. Now, maybe the blend has 1-5% silver in it or something but since the product description is misleading, I felt it needs a 4 star.

That being said, it is shiny and for anyone not familiar with a true silver tray or other item, they might not notice the difference and it does cut down on quite a bit of work since I don't have to polish it all the time like a true silver item. I've had it for a few weeks in a high humidity climate and mine hasn't discolored one bit like other reviewers stated (though maybe they got the silver plated versions).

Hypnotic Gems Materials: 5 lbs (BEST VARIETY) of a 28 Stone Extraordinary Mix From Madagascar - At Least 28 Different Stone Types in EVERY bag! Includes Amethyst, Amazonite, Epidote, Crystal Quartz, Rose Quartz, Hematite, Indigo Gabbro, Rhodonite, Blue Calcite, Zebra Jasper, Blue Quartz, Apatite, Petrified Wood, Chrysocolla, Labradorite and MORE! Raw Natural Crystals for Cabbing, Cutting, Lapidary, Tumbling, Polishing, Wire Wrapping, Wicca and Reiki Crystal Healing *Wholesale Lot*
Offered by Hypnotic Gems
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Variety, Not Quite Same as Picture Indicates, May 29, 2014
I bought the 2 lbs option and it does have a good variety of stones (looks like 26 different types once I cleaned and sorted them). Most of the stones are in the 1 oz weight range based on weighing 6-8 of them on my scale, but I had some as low as .05 oz (not counting the dust and REALLY tiny stones) and as large as 1.6 oz.

Much as the picture shows, the sizes are also pretty irregular, but saying they are roughly a 1 inch cube on average would be a safe statement (none of mine were even near golf ball sized as a previous reviewer received).

I will also add that I am guessing for the pictures above they either polished them slightly, or they at least added mineral oil to them since even after washing and drying my stones, the color isn't nearly as brilliant as the pictures. I don't have any mineral oil to compare, but when wet the stones did look fairly similar to the pictures (albeit a bit rougher, hence my statement that they might have done a little bit of polishing for their product picture).

My grandfather was a Geologist, and I got much of his collection upon his passing so I am always looking to expand my collection and this was a good purchase. I actually might purchase a five lbs bag in the near future to increase the chance of getting some additional varieties also.

The only reason I gave it 4/5 stars was due to the difference in the actual stones and the picture being so disparate. Again, I do still plan on ordering another set, but I'm an avid rock hound so willing to pay a bit too much. For someone just wanting stones that look like the picture to put in a glass on a countertop, you might be disappointed (though a little mineral oil on them might fix that).

Coleman 40-Quart PowerChill Hot/Cold Thermoelectric Cooler
Coleman 40-Quart PowerChill Hot/Cold Thermoelectric Cooler
Offered by Nu-Savings
Price: $189.95
4 used & new from $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's see how it cools...and heats it up!, October 18, 2012
This study was done over an hour and a half and had the fridge totally empty. It is using the AC adapter, which might alter the cooling, but I wasn't willing to risk draining my car battery to test this with the car plugin. The baseline had both the thermometor as well as the fridge at 66F. Again, since my fridge is totally empty, it's the worst case scenario in terms of cooling power.

0 minutes: 66F
15 minutes: 66F
30 minutes: 60F
45 minutes: 58F
60 minutes: 52F
75 minutes: 50F
90 minutes: 49F

I can't stress enough that this test was done with an empty fridge and also on AC power (and as you probably know, an empty fridge sucks for keeping the temp). Also, the instructions even do say that this is not supposed to be used to cool items from room temp to food safe levels.

I then decided to heat things up and switched it to the hot setting. My first run through was a bust since the thermometor I used only went to 90 degrees, so I now am using my digital oven thermometer (bought from Amazon btw). Again, the box is totally empty. This time, I won't have to open to check the temperature since the probe is centered in the refrigerator/hot box so I can read it each time without opening it like with my cooling study.

0 minutes: 64F
90 minutes: 115F
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2013 11:52 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Than the Real Thing, October 18, 2012
If you are looking for a wood replacement for the standard AK set (which if like mine, was cheap pine), this is a great purchase. Being Birch wood, it has a luster that is finer than even the Russian AKs.

The Calypso Directive: A Novel
The Calypso Directive: A Novel
by Brian Andrews
Price: $20.34
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 18, 2012
I'll start out by saying that I read at least one book a week...and often two or more books. I read this book in one night. Without giving any spoilers, it has a main plot that is pretty unique from any other book I own or have read. I actually ended up ordering this book for two other friends who are avid readers and both of them loved it also.

Lapis Lazuli Sphere - Crystal Ball 40mm
Lapis Lazuli Sphere - Crystal Ball 40mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Piece, October 18, 2012
I didn't buy this for it's holistic purpose or what ever, but just for it's beauty...and it's a very lovely rock. Mine actually looks quite a bit like the picture shown, but with more actual lapis lazuli in it. Between the layers of lapis are layers of quartz impregnated with iron pyrite, giving you a small view into the globe with pretty gold flecks. My grandfather was a geologist and I inherited a bunch of his rock collection and this is a nice addition to my household decor.

As the description says, the 'golden base' in the picture is not included (I missed that when I purchased it).

Stalwart Bench Top Parts Rack, 15 Piece
Stalwart Bench Top Parts Rack, 15 Piece
Price: $24.97
11 used & new from $24.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cheap Benchtop Tray Kit, October 18, 2012
I actually purchased three of these kits and they arrived today. All three of mine came with instructions (so might be an addition since the last reviewer) and took probably 2-3 minutes each to put together.
While the dimensions given for each of the trays might hold true for the top of each bin, I measured the dimensions at the bottom and they are in fact, 5.5 inch in length x 3 inch in width x 2.75 inch in height (though there is 5 inches between the tray levels). While only slightly smaller than the stated top of bin dimensions, keep it in mind if you have items which are size specific.
I will agree that the system is a tad 'wobbly', but it's really not too big of an issue. Worse case, I can always drill holes through the legs and attach them to my tabletop or even put some non-stick pads at the bottom of the legs and that should solve the problem.
One question that I had was whether the bins could hold weight, so I loaded them down with some lead weights (well, ammunition rounds) at the front of the bin. The first thing I tried was to take an empty tray system and put 57.1 oz (3.6 lbs) on the top/center bin for 20 minutes and neither did it tip over nor did the bin fail (which I sort of wondered might happen since the bins are only held onto the trap with a pretty thin lip of hard plastic). I then loaded up all the top bins with a total weight of 187.9 oz (or 11.75 lbs) and it not only didn't tip over (the legs are longer than the end of the tray, so physically it's impossible on a level surface...but figured I would check since the previous reviewer thought it might), it seems to still be holding strong after another 30 minutes (50 minutes total for the weight test). The feet are splaying apart a bit, so maybe if I loaded down the rest of the trays with that much weight, the problem would be exacerbated...but I really wouldn't see myself (nor any other user) using this item to store 30+ lbs of stuff in these trays.
Now for the negatives:

1) The plastic plugs that they use on the legs are incredibly loose. Of the 12 plugs on my three sets, one was totally missing and 9 of the others are loose enough to pull out by hand. I will be using glue to fix them in place, but since they are really just cosmetic, it's not that big of a deal.
2) Also, on one of my kits I was missing what they call the, "upright support" which helps keep the center of the tray straight and give it some backbone. This kit was the same one which was also missing one of the leg plugs and appeared to have been a returned item also.
3) If you need to move this tray system, you MUST move it from the legs. If you try and pick it up by the trays, the legs will fall off (not too big a deal, but wanted to mention it).
4) There isn't much room to place a label on each bin. They have a slot to insert a label on each bin (.5 inch by 2.5 inch for the readable area), but I had sort of hoped I could put a label sticker on the front to denote what each bin held.

My overall impressions are pretty positive though. The price is really cheap for what we get IMO. I do wish instead of purchasing these I had purchased some with larger bins, but I can't fault this item for that. The trays are pretty easy to take off and put on and from my semi-scientific studies they obviously can carry quite a bit of weight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2015 7:09 AM PST

LG LCRT2010ST 2.0 Cu Ft Counter Top Microwave Oven With True Cook Plus and EZ Clean Oven, Stainless Steel  - Optional Trim Kit Available
LG LCRT2010ST 2.0 Cu Ft Counter Top Microwave Oven With True Cook Plus and EZ Clean Oven, Stainless Steel - Optional Trim Kit Available
Offered by Asus and Panasonic Specialists
Price: $248.49
8 used & new from $131.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Noisy, February 5, 2012
I bought this microwave at a big box store to replace my old GE microwave which decided to quit after six years. This microwave is incredibly loud. It does seem to do the job though, and cooks food around 20% quicker than my previous microwave...just at 2x the noise.

CRY BABY XTRA SOUR GUM 240 count
CRY BABY XTRA SOUR GUM 240 count
Offered by Nilmee
Price: $17.67
9 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Changed Their Formula, August 5, 2011
I bought these based on the previous reviews on how sour these were. While they were sour, it was nothing to write home about. I imagine they must have changed their formula in the year since the previous reviewers because even two in the mouth at the same time barely elicits a puckering of the mouth. You could take a very small wedge of lemon and get the same effect. I also was disappointed in how quickly the flavor of the gum goes away. Each piece only lasts around 5-7 minutes before it needs to be spit out since the flavor is gone and it starts acting like really cheap gum that will fall apart.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2011 8:03 PM PDT

Whole Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy Ingot (2% Tin, 6% Antimony and 92% Lead)
Whole Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy Ingot (2% Tin, 6% Antimony and 92% Lead)
Offered by RotoMetals
Price: $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Merchant, Quick Delivery and Overweight, July 30, 2011
I received my order in great time and had ordered 5 lbs, but when put on the scale, like any good merchant selling such an item they were a bit over. It ended up weighing 5.16 lbs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4