Profile for manstein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

manstein RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Seven Troop: The incredible true SAS story
Seven Troop: The incredible true SAS story
Price: $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars a more in depth look of SAS experience, May 25, 2014
I read McNab's Immediate Action and Bravo 2 Zero and was captivated by both of them. Troop Seven is a more descriptive account of how it feels to be a member of the SAS from being the inexperienced new guy among others who have participated in legendary SAS operations, to being a confident and capable operator in his own right. Included is the training and operations that made him experienced.
What he does differently in this book compared to his two others is describe the costs of being SAS. How he and others react to the deaths of their friends when they are killed on operations, the political decision making of the higher ups that override tactical common sense, being a small cog in a big machine and ultimately not being very valued by SAS headquarters. The personal costs of being SAS are staggering. PTSD, alcoholism, depression, mental illness, divorce, isolation, suicide and more.
After more than 10 years of the war on terror, we now know that it has to be this way. But after reading this candid book, it's clear that being an SAS soldier, what is demanded of you changes and costs them, making it difficult for them to do anything else. Maybe being a super soldier isn't such a great deal.

Strongman
Strongman
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Strongman (Amazon Instant Video)
This is a movie about a man who aspires to greatness by performing obscure feats of strength, but the actual strongman acts are few. Rather we are treated to an intimate look for an extended time to a man, his girlfriend, and his family. His great grandmother is cared for at home by his mother, his aged and infirm father and his alcoholic younger brother

Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch
Casio Men's GW7900B-1 "G-Shock" Solar Sport Watch
Offered by BESTSELLER21
Price: $102.45
57 used & new from $92.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Pie in the sky, October 19, 2013
I was seduced by the solar atomic function, very cool. The battery was supposed to last 10 years, it died at one year.i took it to a mom and pop jewelry store to have the battery changed, he said that they do not carry the battery or Casio solar watches because my problem is so common, they don't want to deal with watches that fail so predictably.
I got away from the precision mindset and now own an Armorlite with old fashion hands and I love it.
I say don't buy any Casio solar watches, the battery technology is just not there (and they lie about it). The atomic resetting of the watch sucks up ALOT of power, worsening the battery issue. Good luck.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2013 7:53 AM PST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not robust, October 13, 2013
I noticed when I first opened the package that the slightest pressure on the front of it would distort the digital display, well ok. I put it in my front pocket with my wallet, display towards my thigh. Four days later there is a big black digital blob in the middle of the screen that won't go away, I returning it and won't buy from this company again. I babied this thing and it failed. It's too delicate to use. Beware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 8:27 AM PDT

Leather 4 X 8 Reporter's Notebook Cover (Black)
Leather 4 X 8 Reporter's Notebook Cover (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, October 13, 2013
Solidly constructed, durable, it doesn't stink. It is unpretentious, tough and durable, and looks like it will do its job for decades to come. For those that care about such things, it's not pretty. I highly recommend it.

UP by Jawbone - Medium - Retail Packaging - Onyx
UP by Jawbone - Medium - Retail Packaging - Onyx
Offered by aSavings
Price: $74.99
63 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not buy again., October 13, 2013
I talked to someone who had the Jawbone Up and was excited by the idea.i went to their website, liked what I saw, and believed that this product will evolve into something more and more useful as more apps are developed. I was willing to go along for the ride.
The third time I charged it, it would not take a charge.
End of story and keep your receipt.
Be forewarned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 2:39 PM PDT

Tops Knives SOP Elite Tactical Pen Blue and Black TPSOP001BB
Tops Knives SOP Elite Tactical Pen Blue and Black TPSOP001BB
Offered by Rocky Mountain LLC
Price: $58.78
6 used & new from $58.78

4.0 out of 5 stars single use only revisited, October 5, 2012
The pen feels suprisingly good in my hand, the construction is excellent and is durable. It comes with a neck sheath and mine is blue though there are several other colors available. This g10 is light and strong, a nice change from aluminum. This is a very good quality and well thought out pen.

except.

I may be mistaken, but somebody please tell me that I can change the refill!!!!!
I cant see how to do it without unscrewing 8 of those special screws, I'm sure that I dont have the right one. I did not get this just to use to write with it for a few months, I never would have bought it if I knew that. Too bad, its a really nice pen, but it gets a one star because it will not be useful to me after two or three months, and to me, despite the quality of the pen, is ridiculous. They should have solved that problem before selling a pen that would die before the season changed. Great Pen, Very disappointed. I hate it. Buy another pen.
I'd love to be wrong about this and change to 5 starts for quality and innovation, I had planned to use it daily without counting the inches that I wrote before it stopped doing forever what it was designed to do.

One year later. I gave away the pen, then had to order it again because of its' uniqueness and it's' qualities. I have accepted the reality that the makers did not mention that a micro hex set had to be purchased to change the refill, I got a Wiha micro hex set (#35932) made in Germany for less than $8.00 on Amazon, you can't find these locally, the size is too small. The hex set is highly rated too.
It's too bad that the pen was sold without this disclosure, the quality, appearance, durability, fit and finish are fantastic. I recommend this unique pen despite the stupidity of the makers of the pen when obviously there was brilliant thinking that went into it. I got both the red and the black pens and am happy with the purchase. You probably will be too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 3:28 PM PST

Handbook of Community Psychiatry
Handbook of Community Psychiatry
by Russell F. Lim
Price: $141.83
48 used & new from $129.94

3.0 out of 5 stars beware, this is not a clinical text, July 6, 2012
I have to laugh at myself. I'm in community psychiatry and have been looking forward to buying this book for months. I anticipated learning new evidenced based practices particular to the community setting, diagnosis, treatment including psychopharm, etc. I assumed that because the title said psychiatry, it would be about psychiatry as I know it; treating patients.
It's not there. I just got it and want to let you know that if you wanted and were expecting what I did, you will be disappointed. I have to hand it to the author, this book is about just about every topic under the sun except diagnosis, treatment strategies, follow up, psychopharmacological strategies. If you are interested in theoretical stuff, you will probably like this book. If I knew what this book did not contain, I certainly would not have bought it. But I will keep it. I bought it and maybe I can learn something. Just not what I was hoping to learn.

New Brooklyn
New Brooklyn
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a sterotypical Hollywood movie but much better., July 5, 2012
This one is a winner, the gloom, the music, the expression on Marta's face. sucks you into her world. She never fully smiles though she struggles to be inoffensive all of the time to her detriment. Though a talented actress who is recognized as such in the indie movie and play scene, she thinks of herself as second rate, not worth much especially when around certain types of aggressive, sociopathic men. You will see her with one or more of them. you will tell her to do something!!! Then you will want to protect her.
As so many of us know if you get old enough and pay attention, it most often takes a great deal of pain before we make a move towards significant change in our lives. Marta too. By then you are most likely feeling what she feels or as if you were a close friend. Against the backdrop of a changing Brooklyn, the resistance to ineviteable change by some, and the derelict ruins of a bygone area haunting Marta, you see an innocent girl, naive I guess, struggle to find a strength and toughness inside her that she needs before she is used up. Does she find it? It's not a cheap formulaic Hollywood movie, the end is not either. The problems of the world and the main characters are not solved in 90 minutes here, it's more like real life. I would be surprised if you do not see or feel something that you recognize that draws you in.
I felt like watching something new and different and was browsing the prime drama selections. I did not expect to find an American made movie that had substance and says something real. Almost always that kind of movie is foreign. This is different from shot em up AK 47s shot by troubled and tormented by their past, handsome and dangerous men killing bad guys. Or a romance that shows the happy ever after just when you thought that the tormented past of one or both would make the getting together a lost case. No. this is just as good, better but you have to work at it a little. not sit back and let the script that you know so well play out again. But I found it so worth it. I'm very glad I found it and watched it and I absolutely recommend this movie. The insight of the writer and director, the actors, the rest of those that created this movie, make it a star in my eyes, 5 stars actually. I hope that you like it near as much as I did.

Rachel Getting Married
Rachel Getting Married
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars some days are almost too full of pain to get through, January 1, 2012
if you want quick easy subplots with neatly wrapped up endings, forget this one. its an examination of a very messed up family with the focus on the sister of the bride who has a weekend pass from rehab for the wedding and has 9 months clean. central to this story, but avoided so much it becomes the elephant in the room, is a very very significant family tragedy.
not only addicts should see this, non addicts should also. the movie, to me, directs my attention not only to the addict sisters dysfunction and failings, but the rest of the familys also. if you have the courage to watch this carefully, you will certainly see parts of you and others that you know well. its not easy to watch, and none of the characters had an easy time either. this was a very painful movie for me to watch. if you have ever been a black sheep in a family, or have screwed up in a big way, or have been part of the unspoken family dance that is just crazy and often sad, you can see how you would fit in in this one.
my question to you is; what character did you like or dislike the most? i will leave the why to you.
5 stars. thank you for it.

Page: 1 | 2