Profile for Mr. D. Caudle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr. D. Caudle RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing going, October 19, 2013
I do my daily commute and most errands and runs around town on a motorcycle, so I'm always pulling my helmet on and off. This thing is fantastic -- it very securely snaps into place, with metal-on-metal contact. Very well designed, easy to install and use. I have one of these on all my helmets, have for years, and buy one along with every new one I buy. It's definitely an essential item.

Coleman Hooligan(TM) 2-Person Tent
Coleman Hooligan(TM) 2-Person Tent
Price: $49.23
48 used & new from $44.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for two people and gear!, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Coleman Hooligan Tent (Sports)
I bought this as a two-season tent for my wife and I, and it is perfect. Has been waterproof without any additional waterproofing, has a night high lip on the bottom canvas, and can be put together by a single person in about 10 minutes. I don't really have any gripes about it, it's been on about 20 trips and hasn't had any issues yet.

Rothco 550-Pound Safety Type III Commercial
Rothco 550-Pound Safety Type III Commercial
Price: $8.83
16 used & new from $8.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Millions of uses, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Rothco Nylon Paracord (Sports)
I always thought the dorks that carried lengths of 550 cord with them were just delusional. How often could you need rope in your daily life?

I am a believer. I keep a roll of this in every vehicle now, and around the house and in my camping kit. It's come in handy for all sorts of things -- tying the trunk lid closed, quick clothes line, on-the-spot kayak tow and anchor rope. Shoelaces on the trail, tying up food to elevate in tree, bundling and dragging firewood, You get it. It's cheap, easy to work with, durable, and comes in all sorts of fashionable colors. I can't even contain myself anymore.

It flexes and stretches, though, be aware of that.

Cyalume SnapLight Industrial Grade Light Sticks, Green, 6" Long, 12 Hour Duration (Pack of 10)
Price: $11.99
12 used & new from $9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright and long-lasting, October 19, 2013
These are essential for any emergency kit! I keep several in the car and in the house, and have had to use them a few times. These things will light up the side of the road well enough to change a tire in complete darkness, and will glow for a solid 10-12 hours before starting to dim much. I also hang them up around the camp site to mark things like tent and trailer tiedown ropes. Very useful, and worth the few extra bucks over the cheap party-store kind.

Elk Ridge 4-Piece  Fire Starter Kit with Striker
Elk Ridge 4-Piece Fire Starter Kit with Striker

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have around!, October 19, 2013
I bought these for a 5000 mile camping trip across the US and Canada during the winter, as a backup for the apparent eventuality that I would have to survive "Into the Wild"-style when my car ended up in a snow bank.

I didn't have to use them for that, unfortunately, but I did get to play with them while I was camping. There are a few things to know about them:

* They have a coating on them, you have to scrape that coating off pretty well to get any sparks. After the coating is off, they will oxidize, so it's always good to scrape the area you're going to be striking well. You should be doing that anyway, though, because...

* You can't just spark the thing and expect to get any fire. You may get lucky if you're striking it into very dry tinder, but it's unlikely. The proper way is to scrape off a pile of shavings before striking. These will ignite, and in turn will ignite your kindling.

* You don't have to use the included striker. A steel knife works fine.

So, while I haven't had to use these for survival, I have started several fires with them for kicks, and it works very well. Definitely essential gear for the glove box and hiking kit. Just in case of emergency, or you want to make some fun sparks while sitting around a camp fire.

DeLonghi DC514T 14-Cup Programmable Drip Coffeemaker
DeLonghi DC514T 14-Cup Programmable Drip Coffeemaker
Offered by Shoplet
Price: $59.94
58 used & new from $33.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Going strong for 6 years, October 19, 2013
I bought this coffee maker for my office a little over six years ago, and it has been going strong ever since. It is one of the few coffee makers I have found that actually properly heats the water, and the coffee that is produced is some of the best I have had from an auto drip machine.

I have a few minor gripes after six years of daily use: it is a little slower than most coffee makers, but I attribute that to the water actually being heated to a decent temperature. The plastic top lid is a little cheaply made, the hinges are a cheap plastic that allow side-to-side play, and can make it hard to fully close the lid (which results in a crappy brew). However, it hasn't broken yet, and hasn't really presented much of an issue. You just have to make sure to push down and feel it seat into place. I would have expected a little more thought into the design of that lid from a coffee maker in this price range, though.

Other than that, I clean the scale buildup about once a month, and it works great. The aroma function is nice, it takes even longer than normal, but seems to produce a slightly better pot of coffee. It's more aromatic, because it uses the "shower head" to disperse the water, and it brews a little more thoroughly and slowly. Be ready to wait about 15 minutes, though.

Overall, I'm a fan. If it breaks I'll probably upgrade, but it has served me well and I hope it continues to keep on kicking!

Edit: Well, it finally died in January 2014, the heating element went out after 5+ years of daily use. I replaced it with a Bonavita BV1800. The end.

Barnett Clutch Spring Kit 501-58-06045
Barnett Clutch Spring Kit 501-58-06045
Offered by Powersport Parts
Price: $19.51
13 used & new from $19.46

5.0 out of 5 stars No more slip for XS1100!, June 23, 2012
My 1981 Yamaha XS1100 started sipping under load at WOT in 3rd-4th gear. Since steels and friction discs don't generally go bad on these bikes, I decided to throw a set of these coil on it. Problems solved! Hooks up like a dream now, seems like it "gained" me a lot of wasted power I lost while it was slipping.

Was a 45 minute job on my XS! No worries.

AKC Rabbit Dog Toy, Large
AKC Rabbit Dog Toy, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable, dog loves it, June 23, 2012
This review is from: AKC Rabbit Dog Toy, Large (Misc.)
Well, this toy has survived three years with a tough chewer/heavy player with no signs of wear. I regularly suspend my 50lb dog by it by his bite. Most toys for him, even heavy duty ones, last less than a month. He can go through a bull stick in about 30 minutes. This toy, though, seems indestructible for the most part.

He sleeps with the toy also. Very nice, and the rabbit coloring and fur is very lifelike. Well done.

Edit: The dog did manage to tear a small hole in it and pull out all of the stuffing, but we just sewed it up again. It's been replaced, but the dog loves the original rabbit. Great toy, this entire line is incredibly durable.

Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Price: $8.71
24 used & new from $7.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice conditioner, February 16, 2012
This is a fantastic conditioner -- but a cleaner, it is not. At least, not more than surface dirt and dust. That, however, was fine for my purpose (new leather with nothing more than some surface dirt). It goes on easily, smells great but is not an overpowering scent, and leaves the leather looking nice, dark and clean without any ridiculous shine or slippery feel.

I didn't really find it difficult to apply, but it may be a little messy. I just dedicate one cloth for application, do the whole car, and then use another 2 cloths to go back around and wipe up the excess. Takes about 15 minutes on my Nissan. I still prefer Lexol for cleaning and conditioning, but this is a great product for monthly application to protect against UV exposure, which is what I am looking for.

Carmex Skin Care Healing Cream Tube, 4.0 Ounce
Carmex Skin Care Healing Cream Tube, 4.0 Ounce
Offered by Medical's
Price: $8.20
14 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sore, dry hands., December 18, 2011
I work with vehicles a lot in my spare time, and although I should be using gloves, most of the time I don't. My hands get dry and sore, and Carmex Healing Cream is one of the only products that helps. It soaks in instantly, and leaves my hands feeling great. It really does help with sore, dry skin, and I like that it doesn't leave my hands feeling greasy at all. Great product!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4