Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Profile for Steffan Piper > Reviews

Browse

Steffan Piper's Profile

Customer Reviews: 439

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steffan Piper RSS Feed (Palm Desert, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Chappie [Blu-ray]
Chappie [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dev Patel
Price: $12.99
62 used & new from $3.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Blade Runner in the Daylight …, June 29, 2015
This review is from: Chappie [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Consider me one of the MANY who also feel that the negative reviews of this movie have more to do with the lack of ability to grasp anything deeply intellectual than they do with the actual movie itself. The same people who are complaining about CHAPPiE are the same useless mouthbreathers screaming for another violence-for-the-sake-of-it Avengers movie or another CG-for-the-sake-of-it Transformers abomination. Seriously, while the previously is mildly entertaining, the latter is some of the worst pop-corn chewing nonsense of our age. Those that would line up to pay, see and happily review it like clapping seals and begging for more on bended knee should be outright ignored for their utter uselessness.

I am horrified that we seem to be living in an age where the exploration of moralism has now become the equivalent of jocks beating up chess club nerds in 1983. Most people who bother to review these days seem to think that there must be some kind of easy trophy available for joining in with the cattle to bad-mouth a film that has more substance than most cinema seeks to aspire to.

At first I was seriously considering turning CHAPPiE off, not because it was bad, but because I could begin to see the ground it was going to cover and it made me very uncomfortable. Violence and childhood. Adult influence over the innocent in the wrong way. I can also imagine those that left negative reviews likely didn't get past this. It did state RATED R however before it began. Unfortunately, barring the existence of a Robot with A.I., there wasn't much going on here that was fictional. The ground covered here is the same ground we see covered in the other Dickensian moralist tales that our society seems to have equal difficulty staring at head on. Put in a real life 10 - 12 year old and this film would've likely been banned by the studio during production or would've received a huge wave of Oscars. Take your pick.

Some of the obvious nods to Robocop I'm betting are Blomkamp's hat tip to those films as a gesture and not intended for the audience to think that he was purposefully cribbing or trying to copy it without being aware.

Without wasting the reader's time in regurgitating the back panel of the DVD or synopsis easily found anywhere on the internet, this film is a must-see and will be one of those films that were poorly reviewed, did marginally at the box office, but go on to become classics of cinema and movie making history. Neil Blomkamp has done what most good historical fiction writers aim to do and that is to freeze real time and portray life as it is, lives, breathes and functions on parts of this planet familiar to some but unfamiliar to most. A huge thanks of gratitude to him for shining the light on his part of the world and telling a (clearly) much-needed story.

Much like Casablanca that came and went in the theatres as more of the same, Blade Runner which was panned and misunderstood (and which now has three separate and wide-ranging reviews from Roger Ebert) but now regarded as one of the great all-time masterpieces of film-making and storytelling, CHAPPiE will stand out in time as one the best films of this decade.

Some people were turned off by seeing Die Anterwood's (translated from Afrikaans as 'The Answer') Ninja and ¥olandi Va$$er as the leading thugs, Mommy and Daddy, but anyone who grew up in abject poverty, or around gang members and other criminals would recognize these two just as Victorian England would recognize Fagin, Bill Sykes and Nancy, and as quickly. Some people's detachment from reality and as well as social guilt tends to make people shy away from looking too deep into the mirror with this type of story. The fact that we need to keep retelling the Oliver Twist story over and over is not the failure of the storyteller, but definitely the shortcoming of society's lack of understanding of how to deal with these issues appropriately. And moreso, how to address and fully grasp the 'why' of the monsters that spring up from the darkness from those realities.

The acting by Ninja and ¥olandi are equal to what we saw in Blade Runner from Rutger Hauer and Daryl Hannah, but in this scenario the ever-fascinating Sharlto Copley stands asking for more life from the maker – which once more cannot be delivered. In the first act of the film I actually felt utter disgust watching Ninja and ¥olandi, but by the end, fully understood where they were motivated from, why they operated the way they did and were not just cheering for them, but holding back tears more than once.

Sharlto Copley deserves an Oscar for this film as does Neil Blomkamp. If this doesn't rake int he awards, then the awards need a serious 2.0 to occur.

Of all the films that have come out claiming to be the answer to Blade Runner, it's ironic that nowhere in any of the press or other materials do you see any one making that claim. And it's not because they should, or even could have, but because they really don't need to. This film stands on its own in the cannon of moralist science fiction and does continue that conversation deftly regardless of what others might say.

If Ray Bradbury, Phillip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov and Kurt Vonnegut were still alive they would very likely be excoriating and outing the mainstream media reviewers who have decided to treat this film as disrespectfully as they have and without giving the story proper consideration, as well as the disservice they bring to moralist filmmaking to say the least. Instead these folks run rampant like a herd, unchecked.

The only thing I really have to say to the haters:

“Are you stealing Daddy's car to support your alcohol?”

Go get 'em, CHAPPiE!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2015 11:23 AM PDT

Human Thermal Environments: The Effects of Hot, Moderate, and Cold Environments on Human Health, Comfort, and Performance, Third Edition
by K. C. Parsons
Price: $104.72
50 used & new from $94.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged textbook. Holy grail on the subject matter. Third Edition ..., October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Complex text on thermal environments and human response. This text is heavily cited, niche in it's audience, but direct in message. As a layperson I found chapter 13: Thermal Comfort for Special Populations the most accessible.

The previous editions of this text are seen as the holy grail on the subject. If you're purchasing this for usability, the text is clear and in large enough font to distinguish. The book is hardbound and the paper is adequate. As a textbook, it has a rugged design and could withstand lots of usage.

40 pages of references. 15 pages of index.

Solid.

NOCO XGrid XGS9USB 9W Portable Solar Panel and USB/LED Flashlight Kit
NOCO XGrid XGS9USB 9W Portable Solar Panel and USB/LED Flashlight Kit
Price: $78.99
34 used & new from $78.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for phones, wheelchairs, other USB powered toys ..., October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't know the best way to utilize this device until I threw it in the backseat of my car for awhile and then headed into Los Angeles about two hours away. Normally I just plug my cable into my USB / lighter socket, but I opted to put this through some paces.

I charged the panel on my dash for about an hour and a half for an initial charge. The battery is 3000 mah which is about enough energy to charge my Galaxy Note twice, or almost twice. That by itself should get 5 stars. I drive a 2006 Lexus RX330. These cars have abnormally large and deep dashboards, so there was more than enough room to spread out the panels and tuck it in the crevices so it wouldn't shift around. If it doesn't bother you to stare at it, then you're golden.

I could go back to using the USB charger in my car, but that's kind of useless as I'm not always in my car and I'm not always in a place or location that has a plug in for my charger. Restaurants and Ice Rinks are my usual locations, thus I'm usually out of luck in these locations. I use my phone a lot and having children tends to extend that usage as well.

My son loves the technology and it's a great conversation piece for little one, even with it's usefulness.

There is also a flashlight that comes with the panel, I've used it, but not often. it's bright but not that bright and I really didn't need the accessory at all. They could've let it off and lowered the price a bit, but no worries. It is what it is.

The device is water-repellent, but I wouldn't try submerging it anytime soon.

You can also use other voltage connectors, enabling 12V or 6V charging. This is a key feature as other electronics, perhaps larger items, like a wheelchair (?) might be one item that could benefit from this.

Safety 1st Store N Go with Back Booster Car Seat, Adventure
Safety 1st Store N Go with Back Booster Car Seat, Adventure
Price: $51.80
19 used & new from $51.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A little narrow, but not bad ..., October 15, 2014
First things first:

1. This product is being promoted as a booster seat with a back. But buyer be warned the seat and the design of this is very narrow. If your child is somewhat larger than normal, than this seat will likely not be the best purchase.

2. My son reported that the seat is comfortable and for sleeping and the pad for the rear-end is 'cushy'.

3. The drawer under the seat is pretty much unusable as older kids will find it impossible to open up when they're actually already in the seat. "Can you open the seat bucket for me!" is something I've been hearing as of late.

4. The little plastic arms are okay. Nothing great but nothing to complain about.

This is a decent seat for the money, a bit narrow, but not bad.

ECR4Kids MemoryStor Universal Rolling Cart and Organizer Bag Set
ECR4Kids MemoryStor Universal Rolling Cart and Organizer Bag Set
Price: $43.99
35 used & new from $36.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of pockets, water resistant, rolls smooth ..., October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sturdy, old school rolling organizer. This product has been dressed up a bit and given every pocket imaginable to improve versatility for that person that needs this kind of organizer with copies room for supplies. I'm currently using it for my son's model rocketry and it's solid, rolls, fits everything snugly and very water resistant.

These are nice if you like to organize.

Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Price: $25.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, smooth and not as prone to snagging as I might have thought ..., October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very elegant looking tablecloth. This has the immediate effect of something one might sit down to in a nice hotel restaurant. This particular tablecloth fit my dining table and also washed up nicely. I didn't experience the dramatic shrinkage that others have with this tablecloth, but I did wash in cold with a product called Soil Love and tide simultaneously. I also hang-dried it as well.

Not for everyday use, but very nice, indeed.

Grit Inc. HTSE Hockey Tower 33-Inch ''Chicago Blackhawks'' Hockey Bag HTSE-33-CH

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and Essential ..., September 16, 2014
This is really a fantastic bag in every way. We graduated up to this bag after a year of playing on the Mites from the the 28" bag which was always a bit small.

After I purchased the Easton Mako M5 shoulder pads and pants, which fit like body armor on my 7 year old, the 28" tower was always overfull. This bag can handle larger pants, larger pads and organizes quicker and fits much more appropriately than trying to jam everything into a smaller space. My boy now takes his time and puts his gear away properly.

This bag is built tough and incredibly durable. The zippers don't snag or ever touch the ground, thus there is no wear. The stick fits nicely on the side (either side and can hold multiple sticks).

The back ventilation is a great idea as it's always giving ventilation. Every night we go through the same routine at home after Ice practice. Unzip, open and remove sweaty, wet under amour and socks. Everything else airs out perfectly in place.

Couldn't recommend this bag more.

Mackie CR4 (Pair) Creative Reference Multimedia Monitor - Set of 2
Mackie CR4 (Pair) Creative Reference Multimedia Monitor - Set of 2
Price: $149.99
21 used & new from $119.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for so much more than just gaming or computer monitors ..., August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hooked these up to my HP Envy and with a table full of people and had a Minecraft party. These are some really great speakers.

The sound through these two speakers are quite amazing. They stand about a foot tall and produce a great quality low end sound as well as a really clear undistorted high-end tone as well. I turned the volume up really far, kind of worried, but they really pack a punch with both music and games and instruments.

I tested these speakers out on my home karaoke system just for the sake of curiosity and the result is incredible. You can belt your heart out and not hold back and you'll continuously get a strong clear tone without hitting any kind of peak.

I also tested these out with my sons KAT3 Electronic Drum kit. I had the set hooked up to a VOX Valvetronix amp, and while these speakers offer nowhere near the level of adjustable sound or range, they sound good enough for continued, everyday use.

These are great quality, they look good and preform like a champ. If you want something to put through heavy paces for everyday use, this is it.

Whalen Furniture WC-642 Steele Modern Managers Chair
Whalen Furniture WC-642 Steele Modern Managers Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Ergonomic, less back pain, sturdy design ... very elegant ..., August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is probably the nicest office chair I've ever owned and I've owned many. I've purchased chairs that set me back almost $700 through the years that were not this comfortable.

1. The padding is very firm and has very nice push-back against your body. You won't likely experience much flattening, discomfort or even excessive heat.

2. I think these chairs are made for slimmer bodies in mind, so if you're a little challenged in that area, this might not be the chair for you. I'm 5 foot 11 inches tall and I weigh 170. I'm athletic and I fit nicely into the seat and have plenty of side room. I've had chairs that were definitely wider, and I suspect most are.

3. The back rest is very comfortable and the arms are well-placed, elegant and has a feel that is actually quite ergonomic. I have much less pain using this chair than my previous one.

Assembly:

4. This chair came in two rather large, well-packed boxes. One inside of a another. I had the chair assembled in about 45 minutes. I took my time and went very slow. Someone with a more rushed approach could likely complete the work in twenty minutes, no problem.

5. The build of the chair is sturdy. Made with good materials and will likely last a lifetime. There is nothing cheap or flimsy about the production of this.

6. The chair has a height adjustment which is smooth and easy to grab.

7. The wheels roll nicely on carpet, flat or thick. I have this in my office currently without the aid of a plastic roller pad. The wheels are sturdy and smooth.

Overall:

8. Highly recommended. I'm unlikely to ever part with this chair. Less back pain after many hours of sitting definitely makes me happy.

...

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Oversized 32 x 38" Jumbo Jenny Flour Sack Dishtowels, Set of 8, White
7 used & new from $17.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for spills and cutting back on the paper towels .., August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
1. These are incredibly good for drying dishes if you're still washing by hand. They're thick enough to be absorbent, but still thin enough to not be bloated after just a few dishes.

2. I also found that they're good for quickly wiping up spills off the counter, which cut back on paper towel waste as well.

3. They rinse out nicely, are not particularly attached to staining ( a good thing) and are big enough to toss over your shoulder when moving quick.

I highly recommend these if you want to cut back on paper towels and be a little more thoughtful in the kitchen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20