Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Mountain Tim > Reviews

Browse

Mountain Tim's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mountain Tim RSS Feed

Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool
Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool
Price: $27.95
39 used & new from $27.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I need, May 18, 2011
The Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool is great. It contains every screwdriver and allen wrench I need to attend to my mountain bike on the fly. In addition, it has a small star-shaped hex attachment to adjust my BB5 mechanical disc brakes. I like the two on-board tire levers, spoke wrenches, and the chain tool as well! Aside from the utility of the tool, one of the things I like best about it is that it does not make noise when I ride over rough terrain. I've done group rides where the guy in front of me is packing loose allen wrenches in an undersaddle bag and it sounds like he's dropping a toolbox onto a workbench every time he hits a rock. My purchase was a replacement of the exact same item that I had been using for 2 years prior, when I lost the machined screw of the chain tool.

I did not rate this tool with 5 stars for the following reasons.

After two years of traveling in my camelback, the tool began to pick up rust spots. My hydration bag never leaked, so it was simply condensation that soaked through the fabric-and-fill insulation layer from the ice-filled bag on summer days that caused this. I've since taken to storing the tool in a zip-top plastic bag to prevent my new one from rusting.

Also, one of the tire levers has a short allen wrench on it, which is spectacular for getting to the brakes through my spokes. However, when using it to adjust the tension on the tool itself (to decrease the effort needed to fold out the tools), the allen wrench broke free of the plastic and is unusable.

Overall, it's a great tool, but I recommend not using the allen wrench found on the tire lever to tighten or loosen anything much beyond hand-tight.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 6:18 PM PDT