Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for C. Goodwin > Reviews

Browse

C. Goodwin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Goodwin RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
FREE CRIMINAL LAWYERS  Should You Use One? (Find-A-Lawyer Book 1)
FREE CRIMINAL LAWYERS Should You Use One? (Find-A-Lawyer Book 1)
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars If you can afford to hire an attorney, then ..., July 30, 2015
If you can afford to hire an attorney, then you shouldn't "use" an already overworked public defender. They have enough cases without people who are trying to get a lawyer on the cheap.

Direct TV Directv R16 black DVR Receiver
Direct TV Directv R16 black DVR Receiver
6 used & new from $44.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, February 21, 2012
We had the same TiVo for at least 8 years and never had a problem with it. Then, inevitably, the hard drive crashed on it, so we had to replace it. Apparently, we couldn't get another TiVo with DirecTV. Not wanting to spend $400 just to record TV shows I rarely get around to watching anyway, I settled on this model. That was my first mistake.

It worked fine for the first few months. It wasn't as easy to use as the TiVo, but it did its job. For a while. It had a few "quirks" that were annoying (e.g. randomly exiting the guide view while you are searching through the guide), but nothing worth returning it.

Then the hell began. It started by not being able to detect the second satellite feed, which meant there was constantly a little blue box with "Searching for Satellite 2" in the corner. It never went away. The only solution was to change it to only one satellite feed, meaning that if it was recording something, you had to watch it. So much for the ease of recording one show while watching another.

But that wasn't enough for me to take a baseball bat to the damn thing. We've been plugging along like this for a while, trying to remind ourselves that some people have trouble finding food, so only having the luxury of recording shows while we're not at home isn't too bad. Then it began freezing all the time, locking itself inevitably on some channel I hadn't intended to watch and that I had only come upon when it inexplicably exited the guide view while I was quickly flipping through it. Resetting it became a thrice daily routine.

Then it stopped working entirely for a week, and then started working again without any explanation.

Its latest incarnation of evil has been to go into sleep mode for no apparent reason, usually right as something interesting is happening on TV. So, instead of that crucial plot point, I'm left sitting here watching a blue DirecTV logo bounce around the screen, although it sometimes at least left the sound playing, so that was nice.

Then last night, while I was watching a movie, right when -- you guessed it -- a big revelation was about to happen, it lost the satellite signal. No storm. No clouds. No other random reason why DirecTV signals go out all the time. How do I know? Because our other TV was fine. You know, the one with the crappy receiver that doesn't have a DVR, the one my cat sleeps on all the time, the one that came free with installation. That one is fine. So I hit the reset button.

It has been on the "Receiving Satellite Signal 0%" screen for the last 24 hours. I've been using the time to do some arm exercises so that I don't hurt myself when I take this piece of crap out in the backyard this weekend for some batting practice.

UPDATE: After 3 days constantly receiving satellite signal, and after I ordered a new DVR, it is inexplicably working again. Still giving it one star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

Bostitch Professional Magnetic Easy Staple Remover, Black (40000M-BLK)
Bostitch Professional Magnetic Easy Staple Remover, Black (40000M-BLK)
Price: $3.94
64 used & new from $3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right tool for the professional staple remover, April 13, 2011
For years, I toiled away at removing staples with my bare fingernails. Certainly, I thought, there must be an easier way! But these sorts of things take practice; you can't just jump right into high tech staple removing. You have to take baby steps. And so I began working my way through the world of staple removers and embarked on the Darwinian trek of staple remover evolution.

Having cut my staple removing teeth (pun intended) on the old-fashioned claw-style staple remover (BAZIC Claw Style Staples Remover, 2 Per Pack), I graduated to the "ultimate" staple remover (Swingline Ultimate Staple Remover, Platinum (S7038121)). Just when I thought I had reached the pinnacle of staple removing ease (after all, the word "ultimate" does mean "the best achievable or imaginable of its kind," doesn't it?), my world was rocked. ROCKED.

I had not even begun to imagine the possibilities. I didn't even know what I was missing until I felt the sweet caress of the Stanley Bostich Professional Magnetic Staple Remover in my hand. Contoured to fit my hand, just like my Venus razor, with a comfort grip so that the staple removing calluses on my sore hands could heal at last...how have I ever removed a staple any other way? What sort of life of misery and drudgery have I been living up to this point?

I'll tell you: chastised constantly by my boss for my unprofessional staple removing performances; endlessly chasing down loose removed staples, forced to wipe them off my desk and into my trash can on a daily basis, losing seconds of productivity; and nearly severing several of my fingers in a box-opening mishap in 2007. But no longer. Now I am free! Free from staple removing drudgery, free from embarrassing dressing-downs in front of my coworkers, free to open boxes with no concern for my life and limbs.

Thank you, Stanley Bostich Professional Magnetic Staple Remover, for taking this dismal life and making it worth living. I can't wait until they introduce the Master Staple Remover (dare I dream? I think I shall!)
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2016 7:58 PM PST

Belkin Wireless N Router + 4-Ports (Older Generation)
Belkin Wireless N Router + 4-Ports (Older Generation)
40 used & new from $7.63

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm just glad I am able to get on the internet to post this review, April 2, 2010
When this router works, it's fine. However, twice in the last week (and a few times before that), it has stopped working. The first time, I reset it and went through all the initial set-up procedures, and it then worked. This past time, it did the same thing (the orange modem light came on) and, no matter what I did, it would not recognize my modem. Thankfully, I have a computer geek brother who came over and fixed it (no idea how). Fortunately for me, he lives up the street, so the next time it does this I can call him. Unless, of course, I end up taking a baseball bat to it in my back yard, a la Office Space.

I Will Live On Islands - Single
I Will Live On Islands - Single

5.0 out of 5 stars It fooled me..., March 15, 2010
When my copy of El Turista arrived (I ordered it from Josh's website so I could have it before the release date...a physical CD...how 2000s!), I instantly threw it in my computer and started listening. When "I Will Live On Islands" came on, I thought my iTunes had gone whacky and skipped to Paul Simon's "Graceland" for some unknown reason. I had never thought that he sounded like Paul Simon before (maybe I missed something), but this song made me think he WAS Paul Simon, so take that for what it's worth. That being said, I love Graceland, I love Josh Rouse, and I love Josh Rouse songs that sound like that could have been on Graceland.

Criminal Procedure (Hornbook Series Student Edition)
Criminal Procedure (Hornbook Series Student Edition)
by Wayne R. LaFave
28 used & new from $16.94

5.0 out of 5 stars The next time I take an oath, I'm going to swear on this book, May 20, 2008
I'm a crim pro junkie, so this book is a cherished belonging. A good investment for anyone in a crim pro class, but a necessity for anyone who has to do any sort of self-guided crim pro research. And it's a steal at around $50.

Constitutional Law (University Casebooks)
Constitutional Law (University Casebooks)
by Gerald Gunther
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Kathleen Sullivan takes hatchet to Supreme Court cases: law student rejoices, May 20, 2008
Any text that can get Brown v. Board down to 2 pages gets my vote, especially in a semester in which I had 6 other classes. The book trims everything down more than any other casebook I've seen, but leaves enough meat on the bones to discuss in class.

Disability Civil Rights Law and Policy (Hornbook)
Disability Civil Rights Law and Policy (Hornbook)
by Charles D. Siegal
Price: $109.31
33 used & new from $7.80

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book (compared to the text book for the class), May 20, 2008
First of all, I'm not just saying this because I have this particular book for sale on Amazon (please buy it!). This book is awesome. We used the Colker text book which I found to be...obnoxiously poorly edited. So, I bought this book hoping it would help (and because our prof recommended it). Turns out this book should be the textbook for the class. It's clear, it gets to the point, and it gives you everything you need for finals. In my finals prep, I ditched our casebook and relied almost entirely on this (and a bit on my notes). I got a great grade, which would not have happened if it were not for this hornbook.

The Epistemological Foundations of Law
The Epistemological Foundations of Law
by Isaak I. Dore
Price: $98.00
24 used & new from $64.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Teacher, my brain is full, May 20, 2008
I may never climb Mt. Everest, but I lived through Jurisprudence and still graduated. Hallelujah.

The nice thing about this book: it summarizes, usually in clearer terms, the excerpts it includes. The downside: I didn't realize this until halfway through the semester when I thought, "I feel like I've already read this." Reading the same thing twice can be a pain, but if you're a theoryphobe like me, it can be helpful. Honestly, it's difficult to fault a textbook for being tough to get through when the material it covers is nearly impossible to understand. Overall, I would have to say that I found Dore's text easier to read than the original texts.

The Office: The Complete BBC Collection (First and Second Series Plus Special)
The Office: The Complete BBC Collection (First and Second Series Plus Special)
DVD ~ Ricky Gervais
Offered by Surplus DVD Source
Price: $19.99
71 used & new from $0.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The original ruined me for the American version, May 20, 2008
When I heard there would be an American version of the The Office, I groaned. "God," I thought, "must we ruin everything that is good in the world?" I forced myself to watch the first few episodes of the U.S. version and quickly found that yes, yes we must. I recently watched another episode of the U.S. version and I figured out why I can't get into it: it lacks a certain delicate touch that Gervais and Merchant have mastered.

The beautiful thing about The (Original) Office (the same goes for Extras)is the juxtaposition of absurdly hilarious bits with moments that make you feel absolute pity for the characters (often happening at the same moment). For example, when David takes the gig as a corporate motivational speaker and completely fails, you laugh but feel for him at the same time because most people have had some sort of horrible public speaking experience. Or when Tim receives Hat FM for his thirtieth birthday from his parents. It's funny and depressing because everyone has received horrible gifts from relatives or had birthdays that absolutely sucked. The point is that The (Original) Office doesn't shy away from leaving the viewer in this ambiguous state. It doesn't just go for the cheap laughs, but leaves you feeling a bit more conflicted.

The other thing Gervais and Merchant have mastered: knowing when to call it quits. Would it be nice if there were more than 2 seasons of The Office? Maybe. Maybe not. By focusing on quality instead of quantity, they have ensured that their shows will be 1) fresh and 2) classics. Americans prefer to run shows for decades and, unfortunately, into the ground. Some of our best comedies are ones that are cancelled early into their runs (e.g. Arrested Development, Dead Like Me, Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared). How shows like that get cancelled and things like Everybody Loves Raymond continue for 9 years is beyond me, but maybe there's something to shorter runs. Gervais and Merchant seem to think so, and they're right.

Perhaps I've been unfair to the American version. But it's difficult to give it a fair shot when it is a (crude) copy of a masterful original. It's a bit like covering a Beatles song: most people consider it sacrilege and it's nearly impossible to pull off properly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2008 7:22 PM PDT