Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for Jay B. Lane > Reviews

Browse

Jay B. Lane's Profile

Customer Reviews: 866
Top Reviewer Ranking: 900

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jay B. Lane "professional audience member" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rhinestone (abe)
Rhinestone (abe)
DVD ~ Sylvester Stallone
Price: $4.99
39 used & new from $2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars If Only It Had Captions..., April 24, 2016
This review is from: Rhinestone (abe) (DVD)
"Freddie, they's three kinds of people in this world...and you ain't one of them!"

So says Dolly Parton's character to Ron Leibman's. In other words, she can't stand him! And he's her boss. Holding a three-year contract! This sets the scene for a wager wherein she bets she can turn the next man she sees into a country singer. And guess who shows up! Yeah.

It's fun, extremely silly, and allows both Stallone and Parton to make fun of their public personae. If only it had captions.....

Kirkland Signature Roast Beef NET WT 12 oz (pack of 4).
Kirkland Signature Roast Beef NET WT 12 oz (pack of 4).
Offered by TA National Trading
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Three four-packs so far...., April 24, 2016
We will be so glad when this shipment of dented and damaged cans is used up so Costo can offer this handy product on the shelf again. In the meantime, they aren't selling us anything harmful, just sorta ugly. I'm doing my part, I've already ordered three four-packs from Amazon.

Casa Fiesta Hot Enchilada Sauce, 10 Ounce -- 12 per case.
Casa Fiesta Hot Enchilada Sauce, 10 Ounce -- 12 per case.
Offered by CG Trade
Price: $36.97
4 used & new from $31.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Muy Bien!, April 24, 2016
We just enjoyed a tasty batch of huevos rancheros to celebrate a birthday. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it has become quite a challenge to find HOT enchilada sauce, so we were very interested to see if Casa Fiesta could meet our criteria.

Ole! Muy bien! Now we can celebrate birthdays in our traditional way again. Thank you Casa Fiesta!

The Jungle Book (2016) (Plus Bonus Features)
The Jungle Book (2016) (Plus Bonus Features)

5.0 out of 5 stars Art + Science = Animatronics - Brilliant!, April 16, 2016
Art+Science=Animatronics, which makes it possible to create a film with fierce life-like animals who interrelate with a human child and no creature is harmed! After all, this Disney production is rated PG, so even though some of the effects may scare the piddle out of a youngster, it will still be family fare. As Rudyard Kipling's classic tale of a boy raised in the jungle comes to life once again, I can't help but smile as I imagine his amazement if he could see what stunning things can be done with his stories these days.

Director Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), working with Justin Marks who adapted Kipling's book, has stayed reasonably true to the original as the quest for fire becomes a central issue. His blending of CGI and real life is seamless and the involving story sweeps us along at a break-neck speed.

Here are some of the voices:
* Neel Sethi (in his first feature-length film) is Mowgli, the man cub raised by a pack of wolves, a black panther, and a bear. The motto of the wolf pack is important!
* Ben Kinglsey ("Exodus: Gods and Kings") Bageera is one of Mowgli's foster parents. In fact, he's the one who brought a frightened little orphan to the shelter of the wolf pack.
* Bill Murray ("Fantastic Mr. Fox") We all love Baloo and are glad to see this happy soul again. The animation is terrific, his dialogue is very funny and he has a good, good heart.
* Lupita Nyong'o ("Star Wars") Raksha is a gentle mother, but do NOT threaten her cubs!
* Scarlett Johansson ("Lucy") Kaa is a silky-voiced python who can hypnotize Mowgli. She wants to be his close, close friend....
* Idris Elba ("Zootopia") Shere Kahn, scarred and half blinded by Man's fire, vows to rid the jungle of humans, particularly Mowgli. His passion for revenge leaps off the screen.
* Christopher Walken ("Eddie the Eagle") I always thought King Louie would be associated with Louie Prima, but Walken steps into those iconic shoes and I am impressed!.

All in all, we loved the animals: the porcupine ("It's MINE!"), the elephants in all their majesty, the snoopy armadillo-like critter, the slow-moving tortoises, the darling wolf cubs, the ever-alert meerkat, the lumbering rhinos and the cape buffalo (although their stampede was pretty scary!). I found the monkeys to be upsetting, so to me, that scene lasted a bit too long.

The 3D only made me jump once, although there are several "Gotcha!" moments. This movie is a wonder! The story is intelligent, some of the situations are very funny, and Shere Kahn is genuinely terrifying. The children in the audience were riveted! (So was I...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Conversations, April 16, 2016
We all know that Ice Cube likes his movies to contain a message. This one is no exception. In fact it does it extremely well... This PG-13 outing (language and sexual situations) shows us how important Community is to our society, as first shown in Calvin's Barbershop, over 10 years ago.

So what has happened in the 10 years since last we visited our friends? Director Malcolm D. Lee ("The Best Man Holiday") is happy to show us. Now half of our favorite gathering place is devoted to the girls! It's no longer an all-male sanctuary where the guys can relax, gossip and shoot the breeze, but a shared space where weaves, wigs and women also find one another (AND chime in on some of the guys' gossip!).

Here is part of the cast:
* Ice Cube ("Ride Along") is Calvin, worried about his testy teenage son and thinking about moving his family and relocating his shop to a safer part of Chicago.
* Jasmin Lewis ("Barbershop") Jennifer shares her husband's concerns but wants to give their boy time to grow up a bit before they yank him away from his classmates and move to a new part of town.
* Regina Hall ("Vacation") Angie understands Calvin's concern, but her beauty shop is half of their business and this business partner isn't ready to move.
* Nicki Minaj ("The Other Woman") Draya can't help but flirt, and it's obvious that she has Rashad in her sights
* Common ("The Wiz Live!") Rashad tries to stay out of Draya's clutches. The bigger challenge is convincing his wife that he HAS stayed out of Draya's clutches!
* Eve ("With This Ring") Terri is even more successful than ever and doing a lot of traveling. Problem is, she can tell Draya is eying her man...
* Cedric the Entertainer ("The Soul Man") Eddie never shuts up. He is the Grand Old Man in that little community and he gets upset every time he sees baggy pants and dreadlocks or hears guns.
* Anthony Anderson ("Black-ish") J.D. claims the revenue from his business is for the Boys and Girls Clubs in their part of Chicago... Ummm.... Uh oh.....

A barbershop is the unofficial community club of the neighborhood. We have a chance to hear all sides of today's issues, delivered with insight, conviction, and heart. These are good people, trying to do what's right. Our screening audience liked it.

Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars M & B Need a Trusted Friend...., April 16, 2016
This review is from: The Boss (DVD)
I have never been a fan of insult humor. Clearly I am out of step or Don Rickles would NEVER have had such a successful career; furthermore, many in our screening audience laughed all the way through, including the rude fellow who sat next to me! So there is still an audience out there who wants to see one character verbally (and physically!) trash another.

Having said that, remember Martha Stewart's little stretch in the clink? It's obvious that writer/director Ben Falcone ("Tammy") and his screen-writing collaborators Steve Mallory and Melissa McCarthy (Ben's wife) were inspired by this real-life situation. Of course being comedy writers, they not only ran with it, they took it over the top...waaaay over the top....

Here is part of the cast:
* Melissa McCarthy ("Identity Thief") is Michelle Darnell, the doyenne of the business world, ready to come back with a vengeance, now that she's paid her debt to society. Problem is, nobody likes her.
* Kristen Bell ("Frozen") Claire's first responsibility (after getting a new bra) will be to help her former boss get back on her feet. Those brownies might help...
* Peter Dinklage ("Game of Thrones") Renault can see Michelle will never change. His desire to humiliate and destroy her is not business...it's personal.
* Kristen Schaal ("A Walk in the Woods") Sandy will never regain control of her Dandelion troop, no matter how hard she tries.
* Kathy Bates ("American Horror Story") Ida knows a good thing when she sees it. I just wish there had been more screen time for her, and I wish I knew if my suspicions were right about Little Orphan Michelle.

This is a McCarthy/Falcone collaboration so expect it to be an outrageous, R-rated romp. Brace yourself for extremely vile language, slapstick humor, and realize that if a situation is funny, Ben and Melissa will milk it and milk it and milk it until it loses its punch. At least to me.

Both of these people are talented and funny, I just wish they had a trusted friend who could rein them in. Melissa McCarthy's screen presence is hot right now; I don't want to see her burn out.

Side note: I'm still bummed about Martha Stewart serving time for her penny-ante insider trading. Half of Wall Street deserves to be locked up RIGHT NOW for their egregious crimes which crippled the world economy! Aarghhh!

Hello, My Name Is Doris - Trailer
Hello, My Name Is Doris - Trailer
Offered by Short-form Videos

4.0 out of 5 stars We Really, Really Like Her!, April 16, 2016
This review is from: Hello, My Name Is Doris - Trailer
What happens when a sixtyish woman finds herself alone for the first time in her life? Recently her mother died, she fails to make friends at her long-time job, she still lives in her childhood home and it looks like her clothes come from Value Village or Goodwill. She goes to a self-help seminar, that's what happens!

Laura Terruso wrote a short film "Doris and the Intern" which she later expanded into a screenplay with writer/director Michael Showalter (Lots of TV) for this awkward but eventually uplifting story.

We watch:
* Sally Field ("The Amazing Spider-Man") is Doris (after Doris Day, one of her mother's favorites) who cherishes a lifetime of memorabilia: everything has a special place in her heart. She's called a hoarder, but I wouldn't go quite that far.
* Max Greenfield (Lots of TV) plays John, an employee recently transferred to the office where Doris works. He has good manners and wants people to like him. He's also VERY appealing.
* Tyne Daly (Lots of TV) Old friend Roz almost steals the film from Doris, particularly as they plan their annual Thanksgiving festivities. These two actresses are terrific together!
* Stephen Root (Lots of TV - also the stapler-centric character in "Office Space" 1999) Todd also mourns their mother, but he and his wife want Doris to unclutter her life, move out, sell the old family house and share the proceeds.
* Isabella Acres (Lots of TV) Vivian is barely a teenager but she teaches Doris all about Facebook ...and changes her life!
* Peter Gallagher (Lots of TV) Self-help guru Willy Williams tells Doris that "IMPOSSIBLE" is simply "I'M POSSIBLE" just in a different way. His DVD becomes her guide.

What is it about Sally Field? Even if her character becomes a semi- stalker, makes clumsy mistakes and hurts the feelings of people around her, we still care about her. This time she develops a crush on a much younger co-worker who is polite but oblivious. This only feeds her self-delusions, so we watch her become a moon-struck teenager. We are uncomfortable with the situation, but still want the best for Doris. At least her fantasies are fun and we get an insider's peek at how her mind works.

I wasn't overjoyed with the movie, but with Sally Field and Tyne Daly in the mix, I still found it fun.

Eddie The Eagle
Eddie The Eagle
DVD ~ Taron Egerton
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming Feel-Good Movie, April 16, 2016
This review is from: Eddie The Eagle (DVD)
Do you remember the 1988 Winter Olympics? I didn't, but now I have something to remember. I love underdog stories and "Eddie the Eagle" soars. In fact, as we exited the theater, I realized that this was the most enthusiastic screening audience I have seen in a long time!

Director Dexter Fletcher ("Sunshine on Leith") working from a PG-13 screenplay by Sean Macaulay and Simon Kelton, gives us the (sorta) true story of an unlikely wannabe Olympic contender who just wouldn't give up. (You'll smile when you learn how he picked ski jumping for his sport.) This script delivers many laughs, a lot of tension and above all, a singular hero to root for.

We watch:
* Taron Egerton ("Kingsman: The Secret Service") This handsome young actor is unrecognizable as Eddie Edwards, the tenacious underdog: e.g., the opening scenes show us a plucky youngster in a leg brace (weak knees) practicing various skills with only one goal in mind: The Olympics. He doesn't care which sport, just THE OLYMPICS. His father (Keith Allen) is soon out of patience, but his sweet mother (Jo Hartley) remains supportive.
* Hugh Jackman ("Chappie") Former ski-jumping champion Bronson Peary has no intention of being Eddie's coach; this American failure now runs a Zamboni-type machine to keep the ski-jump area smooth. His specialty has become drinking and smoking....BUT he can see, despite horrific risks, that goofy kid just won't quit. He doesn't teach Eddie how to jump, just how to land. Jackman in jeans has never been more appealing; and wait til you see how Bo Derek fits into their training program.
* Christopher Walken ("Jersey Boys") Former Olympic coach Warren Sharp did NOT expect to see his book in that dressing room. He insists that talent is a minor part of a champion's equation: determination and persistence are what count the most.

Of course we have the usual assortment of egotistical athletes, bullies, sportscasters and nay-sayers, but we also see the enthusiastic sports lovers who attend Olympic events, open to new experiences and ready to embrace a new hero.

You (and they) will soon accept an odd-ball young man who has finagled a long-shot opportunity from a reluctant British Olympic Committee through sheer determination and tenacity. Later, of course, we hope to see their outspoken spokesman humbled.

The pacing of this movie is brilliant: we suffer with our courageous hero as he flails from one painful failure to another, but we become as invested as he is: we want him to succeed. We laugh at his training schemes and hold our breath right on cue. Our sophisticated screening audience even cheered a couple of times. We knew we had been manipulated and didn't mind a bit.

You won't mind either. It's a heartwarming feel-good movie.

Offered by Short-form Videos

4.0 out of 5 stars We Liked It, April 14, 2016
This review is from: Barbershop: The Next Cut
We all know that Ice Cube likes his movies to contain a message. This one is no exception. In fact it does it extremely well... This PG-13 outing (language and sexual situations) makes it clear how important Community is to our society, as first shown in Calvin's Barbershop, 10 years ago.

Here is part of the cast:
* Eve ("With This Ring") Terri is more successful than ever and doing a lot of traveling. Problem is, she can tell Draya is eying her man...

A barbershop is the unofficial community club of the neighborhood. We have a chance to hear all sides of today's issues, delivered with conviction, insight, and heart. These are good people, trying to do what's right. We liked it.

Price: $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Falcone/McCarthy Need a Trusted Friend, April 8, 2016
This review is from: The Boss (Amazon Video)

Here is part of the cast:

Side note: I'm still burned up about Martha Stewart serving time for her penny-ante insider trading. Half of Wall Street deserves to be locked up RIGHT NOW for their egregious crimes which crippled the world economy! Aarghhh!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20