Profile for Jennifer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer "Pharmacy student" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Samsung SCX 4300 Multifunction laser printer( B/W )
Samsung SCX 4300 Multifunction laser printer( B/W )

3.0 out of 5 stars When it works, it does the job., September 15, 2009
I bought this printer because I am a fan of laser printers and needed one for home (and school) use. It is a nice size and fits neatly on my desk.

However, I'm giving this product 3 stars for the following reasons:
1.) The exit for printed paper is poorly planned. There is a flimsy piece of plastic you can fold out for larger print jobs, but I'm waiting for the day it snaps off.

2.) Paper jam messages pop up frequently... often with no paper actually being jammed anywhere.

3.) The machine is so picky. If you don't have that front door closed just right, it won't print. The same goes for filling up that tray with paper.

4.) I just put in a new toner cartridge, and I had one heck of a time getting the printer to work. First it printed half-black pages. Then nothing printed on the pages at all. After rebooting the printer and computer a few times and pulling the toner in and out of the machine a handful of times too, I FINALLY got it to work.

5.) The toner cartridge is expensive, although I think it is coming down in price. Two months ago, I couldn't find one on the internet for less than $80. Now Amazon has them for $68 (or less at other vendors).

Overall, I don't 100% trust the printer. I would like to get 5 years out of it to get my money's worth, but I don't even know if it will last another year... and a paper jam error filled one at that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2010 11:57 AM PDT

Pharmacy Law Digest
Pharmacy Law Digest
by Kim Keller Reid
22 used & new from $22.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for your pharmacy student library, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Pharmacy Law Digest (Paperback)
The first half of the book covers federal law in "layman's terms" while the second half has summaries of important pharmacy law cases. It's a thick book and can be dry at times, but it is very good. Serves its purpose well. (Obviously you want to keep on top of laws since laws are always changing. This book will get you started though.)

Applied Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics, Fifth Edition (Shargel, Applied Biopharmaceuticals & Pharmacokinetics)
by Leon Shargel
56 used & new from $9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all that great. Too broad., November 16, 2008
First of all, I can't believe how stupid my fellow peers are. This is NOT the place to comment about your seller. Can't you read? Some of you are going to be future pharmacists? Hope you aren't practicing in my state.

That being said, I was disappointed in the book. I felt that my professor covered subjects more adequately than this book did. It was simplified and, like another reviewer mentioned, all over the place. My professor did admit that it wasn't the best book out there for biopharmaceutics, but it was decent. It's simplified, so it will probably help you get started with your studies. You do want supplemental reading though if your professor isn't that great. (Thankfully mine was.)

Zoo Tycoon 2 (Nintendo DS)
Zoo Tycoon 2 (Nintendo DS)
7 used & new from $7.36

2.0 out of 5 stars Harder to use than PC, October 29, 2008
I just started playing, and I'm already a little frustrated with this game. I own the original Zoo Tycoon for PC. I don't know how Zoo Tycoon 2 is for PC, but this game is not user friendly. In the original Zoo Tycoon, I could put fences and landscaping (such as flower boxes for the guests) flush against the grid layout for the game. This game will not let you do so.

It will also not let you build your own fence segment by segment. It makes a predetermined box for you, and you can only enlarge it to the size you want it. It is also very picky as to what you do with the fence.

Finally, the game is too dumbed down when it comes to finding out how to make your zoo animals happy. If they aren't happy, a permanent frowny face follows them around. The original Zoo Tycoon let you figure out what your animals wanted by yourself. It was a challenge.

This game is only good for people who have never played Zoo Tycoon before and don't know what they are missing.

Ty Bandage - Get Well Bear
Ty Bandage - Get Well Bear
Offered by University Gifts
Price: $4.00
10 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a loved one to let them know you care, September 28, 2008
This review is from: Ty Bandage - Get Well Bear (Toy)
It's a teddy bear that says "Get Well Soon." Not much more to it. I sent it to a loved one after she underwent surgery. It brightened her day. I think this would be appropriate for anyone who is sick, in the hospital, and/or undergoing surgery. It shows you care, and with Ty beanie babies, you know the product is of good durable quality.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced. Poor quality., September 28, 2008
Bought this product because I heard tea tree oil was good for a dry scalp. (It was dry but not horrible.) I figured, hey, I'll try a natural remedy out. I was using it in combination with another company's tea tree oil shampoo. I would have bought that other company's conditioner, but it looks like there wasn't any for sale on amazon.com.

This product didn't live up to expectations. Eh, my scalp felt about the same. However, my biggest issue was the cheap quality of this conditioner. I felt like I had to squirt out a whole handful of the stuff to even feel it conditioning my hair. My hair still feels a little dry even as I type.

I also heard somewhere that tea tree oil doesn't hold up well in conditioners. I now believe them. I can barely smell the tea tree oil in the product. The product is a waste of money.

Pharmacy student disclaimer:
Herbal products are usually not approved by the FDA for the uses claimed by the herbal products' manufacturers. Use herbal products at your own risk. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about a certain product.

Spore - PC/Mac
Spore - PC/Mac
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $15.05
51 used & new from $8.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Game is frustrating, boring, and drags out, September 28, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore - PC/Mac (DVD-ROM)
A friend got this game. He's a gamer. He can get hooked on pretty much anything. However, he is frustrated with this game, as am I.

My experience:
I think the most fun I had was the tide pool. After I got on land, everything became too complicated or too boring. Gotta figure out which of the 3 hands that all look the same would go best on your pet. Gotta spam the same dance and chirp buttons to make people friendlies. I'm also confused as to whether or not I should talk to alphas or kill alphas or just look for corpses for extra spare parts. What if I make a mistake? I won't see the end result of a possible mistake in this time sink of a game until 3 weeks down the road. I kind of lost interest after the first migratory move.

My friend's experience:
My friend is a gamer. Get him a new game, and he'll play it for days. However, after one week, he is frustrated with the game. Yeah, he started off in that tidal pool and poked around on land for a while up to about the beginning of civilization (building courthouses and the like). At some point, he finally reached the space travel step. Now, he's tired of it. The game expects your one little ship to save you and your allies from impending doom from other races. Or you can pay the attackers off with money you don't have. From what it sounds like, the end game space travel experience is left up to chance. Some players have problems. Some do not.

The DRM stuff:
Amazon.com's rules are that if you didn't buy the game, you don't need to be posting here. I actually would like to read posts about people who bought the game and had trouble playing the game or with the DRM stuff. What type of trouble did they have? Did they solve it? We'll never know because everyone is just posting based on what they heard through the grapevine. I wish Amazon.com would clean up this area. You think they would since it is probably hurting sales.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2008 9:11 PM PDT

Pharmaceutical Calculations
Pharmaceutical Calculations
by Howard C. Ansel
27 used & new from $6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for BASIC calculations for the retail and hospital pharmacist, March 29, 2008
I have worked in a retail pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. I believe this book covers the basics behind the calculations performed for both environments. Students should receive more training on calculations as they progress through pharmacy school, of course, but this book is a great way to get started. If you are the student who plans to go into research and production, yes, you may need additional training.

There is a difference between 11th and 12th edition. The 12th edition is missing some of the lessons that were included in the 11th edition. This doesn't necessarily mean you need to go out and buy the 11th edition instead of the 12th edition. Errors in the 11th edition may be fixed in the 12th edition. My particular pharmaceutical calculations course used the 12th edition.

I have already decided that this book will be one of those books I keep on my shelf when I finally graduate and become a pharmacist.

Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems
Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems
by Loyd V. Allen
107 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on basic pharmaceutical knowledge, March 29, 2008
I really found this book to be helpful for my pharmaceutics class. It provides detailed information on how pharmaceuticals are made. I plan to use it when I study for the Pharmacy Board exam upon graduation. The key thing to remember is that it contains BASIC knowledge about how drugs are manufactured.

Warning: The professor and the student must be careful to supplement this book with additional reading material if the physics and chemistry behind drug production are covered in-depth during the pharmaceutics class.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2009 4:51 PM PDT

Introduction to Health Care Delivery: A Primer for Pharmacists
Introduction to Health Care Delivery: A Primer for Pharmacists
by Robert McCarthy
90 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars New book shouldn't be priced that high, March 29, 2008
I honestly couldn't get into the book. With the price I paid for a brand new book, I expected more. This primer is definitely that, a primer full of very basic knowledge. For example, my class studied economics and the health care system near the beginning of the semester. When I started to read the chapter in the book, I realized it was nothing more than a review of my economics course (which is a requirement anyway for applying to my pharmacy school). The notes my professor provided in class was well beyond anything the book could have taught me about economics in the health care system. They did not just "supplement" the book.

I was also disappointed with the lay-out. Subtitles are great for chapters, but some of the chapters came off choppy as a result. There were not a lot of visual aids. I'm a visual learner. The thing that really bothered me the most though was the use of large font throughout the book just to make the textbook look thicker. Thicker books mean more money I guess.

My recommendation: If you absolutely need this book for a class or as a very simplified overview of the health care system, buy the book USED.