Profile for Gamearts > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gamearts RSS Feed (Fairfax, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Platypus Big Zip LP Reservoir
Platypus Big Zip LP Reservoir
Price: $28.95 - $92.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Bite & Suck -- Great for Backpacking & Hiking!, July 20, 2014
This plastic bag is a marvel.

I've never used a hydration system before, but this Platy reservoir/bladder has been a positive experience thus far.

The Big Zip LP is brand new for 2014 and is slimmer in design compared to the previous "SL" version.

I took this hiking and it was so much easier to use than the conventional water bottle/Nalgene. This is like a ziplock bag but much more advanced. Filling is relatively easy/straightforward with a blue plastic piece that slides over the zipper to ensure it stays sealed. The water tasted great and there was no hint of plastic to it. To drink from it, you just bite down on the mouth piece valve and suck away. On the tube end where the mouth piece is ("Platypus Hyperflow Bite Valve"), you have a little part that you can slide to keep it sealed when not in use. The shut off valve works great at the other end of the tube and is easy to unhook/hook the tube back to the bag. It also comes with a metal clip that can let you snap the tube to your clothing for added convenience. And the Platypus Bite Valve Cover to protect the mouth piece from dirt/debris works great.

I use the 3L, and it works fine even if you only plan to use it with 2L or 1L of liquid. I think most people would be happy with the flexibility of 3L unless you know you'll only need the smaller bag (the bag does fold down).

The only "minuses" I can think of are that it doesn't keep water as cold compared to a stainless steel insulated bottle and that durability may be an issue (long-term). Also, cleaning it can be a minor challenge (I haven't tried the official cleaning kit yet).

Great buy! Made in USA (Seattle, WA) too! I'm currently looking for a good pack to keep this in and will be keeping the old Nalgene at home from now on.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Platypus Bite Valve Cover
Platypus Bite Valve Cover
Price: $5.95
20 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover that won't come off IF you know how to install it!, July 20, 2014
This review is from: Platypus Bite Valve Cover
I wasn't going to write a review on this small piece, but I think some people might be confused about how to install this properly. It should not come off easily at all. It took me a few tries to kind of figure it out after looking at a YouTube video. I think Platypus should really include instructions in the packaging.

I added some customer images to show how it is supposed to be installed.

I have the Platypus Big Zip LP Reservoir (3L), which has a Platypus Hyperflow Valve (the mouth piece) on its tube.

1. Remove the valve (mouth piece) from the tube.
Yep, it can come off -- just pull on it and slide it off (there is an "inner" tube it goes over).

2. Push the valve (mouth piece) into the cover (the small piece with the hole) as far as you can.
Note: I found that when the "band" that connects the two parts of the cover is on the bottom (with the valve clear "slider" in the "drink" position) it closes better than when it's on the top.

3. Slide the "combined" cover and valve (mouth piece) back over the inner tube while making sure the cover isn't much further behind than the valve tube.
This is the hardest part. You'll spend more time pushing the valve (mouth piece) back than the cover. Note: It is hard to push them all the way back without making the cover go much further behind the valve tube (you don't want that to happen). With the cover now covering the valve tube ensuring a tighter fit, being only a few mm off is still good enough of a seal around the inner tube to ensure it won't slip off or any leakage.

I promise, it really works great once you get it installed correctly.

Mushroom Soy Sauce
Mushroom Soy Sauce
Offered by NewDreamFactory
Price: $16.16
5 used & new from $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Dark Soy Sauce, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Mushroom Soy Sauce (Misc.)
This is the dark soy of choice for my Chinese brown sauce recipe I use in stir fry. I've bought the regular bottle size version of the Pearl River Bridge Dark Mushroom Soy and thought it tasted great. Better than the LKK brand. This larger container is great value and tastes as good if not better than my regular bottled version -- have no worries on quality with this bigger size.

Just know it is smaller (width/thickness wise) than it might look in the photo, but it is nice because you can fit it in the door side of the fridge with your other bottles of oyster sauce and what have you.

This is made in China (a plus to me). Sodium content is 52% of
the daily recommended value for one serving (1 tbsp).

The seller I bought this was called the Asian Store. They're on the west coast.

ARS HP-VS8R Rotating Handle Hand Pruner, 8-Inch
ARS HP-VS8R Rotating Handle Hand Pruner, 8-Inch
Offered by Arigato Shop
Price: $41.85
37 used & new from $37.60

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bee's Knees of Hand Pruners?, August 1, 2013
This was more of a purchase made from curiosity than need. But I had been deciding between three of the more premium pruning shears money can buy (Felco, Bahco, and Ars). I got the Japanese version from a seller in Japan, but Ars has licensed a US distributor to sell their products online (Wood Avenue) as well.

The pair I received came pre-lubricated and ready for immediate use. I spent about 30 minutes trimming down some shrubs in my front yard. I found it a joy to use aside from one minor issue of the blades getting stuck together periodically as I was working (this only happened when cutting some of the thicker branches). But the tool may not have been broken in yet, and this was a relatively thorough pruning session with some thick branches.

You can lock it into place by pressing a little notch upward. You can conveniently unlock it again by just squeezing the handles as if you were cutting. Straightforward.

The black handle rotates, which I found to be a useful feature when I needed to squeeze tightly to be able to cut some of the thicker branches. There is a spring that compresses as you squeeze the handles when you prune. I really liked how the tool felt in my hands.

The blades will cut through just about any reasonably sized (finger width) branch you throw at it.

Overall: Easy to use. Clean cuts. Good quality tool. Made in Japan, which probably adds to it price tag. Is it worth the premium? If you can appreciate a quality tool and plan to keep it for a lifetime, I truly think it will be a great investment.

ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White
Price: $88.24
58 used & new from $64.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the Hype -- This Is a 5 Star Modem (Cox Internet + DIR-655 Router), May 20, 2013
Due to a house move last month, I had to go from Verizon FiOS (50Mb Down plan) to now Cox Cable Internet (15Mb Down plan). This of course meant, getting a new cable modem, a Motorola SB6141.

In my time so far using it, this little white box has worked flawlessly. I have it paired with another white little box, an old D-Link DIR-655 router I had stored for a couple years. (If you're new to cable internet like me, most cable modems, including the Motorola SB6141 don't offer wireless support, so a router is also needed for wifi devices.) They are both just doing a great job together, and match each other as well (both are white color and flash blue lights). I stream Netflix and Youtube on my PS3, and I haven't encountered any buffering issues thus far.

And even though I'm signed up for the 15Mb down with Cox, I get 20Mb down when I run speedtests, so I know this modem isn't letting me down the slightest. I had to reboot the modem only one time, the day after the install due to a fluke that was corrected by the technician, but it's been working perfectly ever since (a month now). I thought I was going to be super disappointed coming from FiOS to cable internet, but I am actually pretty pleased, and I think a great deal of thanks is due to the SB6141.

I decided on the white version over the black one because the black one is reportedly a second hand/refurbished modem used by the cable companies and the white is the retail/consumer version.

Simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Price: $25.99
16 used & new from $21.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, September 8, 2011
Overall, this is a good buy. It is great looking and fairly easy to use. But I am going to go ahead and just list some notes for caution. Many of these were written in previous reviews, so this may act as a summary:

1) If the screws aren't stainless as one previous reviewer implied, I hope they don't rust. It would have been nice to include stainless steel screws for an extra few pennies if we are already paying this much. The screws on my old towel holder DID rust.

2) The screws provided are really too long for mounting under the cabinet in most people's homes. I ended up puncturing my cabinet (very tiny) as a result but it's a minor issue (our cabinets are old and already quite worn, if the house were newer it would be a different story). I ended up just installing it against the drywall which worked out okay with the provided screws (though it's not super sturdy without anchors, it's sturdy enough -- I hope at least).

3) They could have included a paper template for marking screw holes. It is a pain to hold this (slightly heavy) item with one hand steady and then mark the screw holes with a pen. You will definitely want to make pilot holes with a drill bit (instructions never tell you this).

4) The horizontal "bar" that you slide the roll onto is just plain crooked from the get-go. Either I got a lemon or is that how it is supposed to be? It never looked totally level from the moment I took it out of the box to look at it, and even when installed and there is/isn't a roll on it. Don't get me wrong, since it's hiding behind the cabinet front piece, it's not a huge problem for me, but for the price you'd expect better quality control.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 9:46 AM PDT

Epson B11B193141 Perfection V30 Photo Scanner
Epson B11B193141 Perfection V30 Photo Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson V30 (Linux Review) - Scanning a Book, May 18, 2010
I bought this Epson scanner specifically for the job of scanning an art book. I was worried that this wouldn't really give me the quality I was looking for because it was so modestly priced, and compared with the V300 and V500 and beyond, that seems like an understatement. But it does a remarkable job. Even at the 300 DPI setting, I felt like I was getting about as good as I could possibly get.

Warm up time:
This is about 10 seconds or so if you want to get a quick preview before you scan. Pretty fast all in all.

Scanning:
You can scan to pretty high dpi settings. For the purposes of scanning art documents from a book, I didn't really need to go higher than 300. I could barely tell the difference between 600 (about 2 minutes) and 300 dpi (30 seconds or so), so anything past that seemed overkill, especially since I was going to be resizing these to much smaller resolutions (300 dpi is a 10 MB file at roughly 2500 x 3000 pixels, 600 dpi is about a 40 MB file at 5000 x 7000 pixels). Actually the software I was using wouldn't let you scan past 600 dpi at the "Color Documents" setting, so you'd have to change to the "Color Photo" (for scanning photos) setting to go higher. For scanning photos (which have their own setting themselves) you may want to utilize the higher dpi settings, which demand higher quality than a book.

Unfortunately the scan bed isn't as big as I'd like. My art book is just about as wide as the scanner surface but I'm still missing maybe 1/2" (mostly dead space that I don't care about, but still noticeable). But I haven't really taken the time to get the pages out of the binding to do a serious job at it, so maybe that might help. Not a huge issue because my art book is actually irregularly shaped and bigger than standard looseleaf paper size so this shouldn't affect many of your projects.

Linux:
The reason why I went with the Epson V30 is due to there being drivers available for Linux. I'm using Fedora 12 but there are drivers for most distributions, such as Ubuntu, Debian, and so on. If you do a quick search for "Avasys Epson" you'll find them easily. There is no need to use the Epson CD (in fact I haven't even taken it out of the box yet) or have unnecessary processes or who knows what type of 3rd party junk they've tacked on. Just use the Image! Scan software that is part of the drivers and you'll be up and running instantly.

Overall:
Happy with the purchase. The scanner is in a very cool sleek matte black finish and really complements my black desktop. No bloatware involved due to the Linux drivers/sw being available. I got the image quality I was hoping for without having to spend extra by going with the V300 or V500. And last, but not least, I purchased this 24 hours ago from the seller here on Amazon (Beach something or another) and FedEx delivered it next day to my home. 5 Stars PERFECT!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2010 10:35 AM PDT

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Sound Card & Headset Adapter
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Sound Card & Headset Adapter
Price: $23.21
54 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Turtle Beach's new refreshed design should last a long time..., March 18, 2010
May 2010 Update:
Just an update to say the sound card is still working fine. I've moved over to Fedora Linux now and this beast installed without a hitch (no restart required of course, unlike Windows!). All in all happy with the Turtle Beach amigo. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with the Micro II since that seems to be offered in the real black color I was looking for (don't need the mic input that badly), but this is still a good product!

INTRODUCTION:
My 1 year old Star Tech USB Sound Card (Model # ICUSBAUDIO) decided to break literally two days before Turtle Beach released their updated Amigo and Micro cards. The reason it broke was a phsyical design that I wasn't happy about with nearly all USB sound card adapters, including Turtle Beach's previous Micro iteration.

I can't explain it well, but they have the metal connector fused right into the card. My Star Tech literally had the metal connector eventually come apart. Just really cheap, but for the price you can't complain.

So, rather than ordering another cheap USB sound card that will probably give out in another few months I put in a pre-order for this Amigo II refresh that was slated to be out March 16 2010.

MINUSES:
First, let me get the bad out of the way and list why I don't think it's deserving of a perfect 5 stars.

This comes in a clam shell type packaging so it's an inconvenience to have to go find some scissors just to get it out.

The color of the adapter is not a dark gray/light black as the stock picture might lead you to believe. It is actually a very light to medium gray color. Kind of disappointing to me because I wanted it to match the black laptop it was being used with.

There is this really annoying blue indicator light that just keeps flashing on and off every second (unfortunately, it's on the side where you will have it be facing up in clear view to you).

It still makes that little pop sound when you put it in your computer like the older USB sound cards, but not as annoying.

POSITIVES:
New design should have this last for years. This comes as a little cable attached to the card. Now the USB metal connector part is no longer "fused" into the card itself, rather there is a short little cable that is attached to it, making a distinct separation between card and connector. This should make the product last a long time (I hope). I have never had a USB cable go out on me, and this looks like that, so it should be ok. Of course, I have only just got the Amigo II today so I can't say for sure if this will be the case...

When driving the volume up, it's not like the other USB sound cards you might have used where it's really, really loud even at the lower volume settings (I think I had my old Star Tech only at one or two volume bars out of like 20!). It looks to me like Turtle Beach toned it down where you really can up your computer sound a bit more bars/notches and not have to worry about it being too loud. Even at the loudest possible setting on my laptop, I find plausible to listen to (just like using my native sound card built into my laptop -- but definitely louder of course!).

Sound quality wise, it's pretty good to me. I wouldn't say it's a noticeable improvement to my old sound card. I'm not much of an audiophile, but I know there's products that sell for way more than this that will probably give you better sound quality if you are really willing to pay for it. I honestly don't notice much background static noise even on the highest volume, so I think this is reasonably good. My old sound card had a lot of static noise at those type of volume levels...

I haven't used the microphone input. Most people will most likely get the Amigo II over the Micro II because the Micro does not have a mic input. If you need the Digital Audio Out feature though, you should get the Micro. Since I am going to be using headphones with this only and not connect it to another sound system, there was no real advantage to get the Micro for me personally, as I assume both products would give you the same analog sound quality.

Also, this is just plug in, let your OS do its thing, and play. Although I did have to restart Windows 7 after it installed the drivers (automatically). But no software or additional processes taking memory away needed to make this work.

CONCLUSION:
Overall I recommend this because I think it will last a longer time than the other conventional sound cards. I will try to remember to update this review in case this sound card ever breaks down in the near future. If it breaks within a year, you should be covered because Turtle Beach has a 1 year warranty.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 9:36 PM PDT

FHI Heat Runway Digital Hand Touch Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Styling Iron 1" with I.c.h.s.+nano Ti+nanotio2+nano Ag Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review - The Runway isn't king anymore in my eyes + Runway VS CHI and Solia!, January 20, 2009
September 2, 2009 Update
______________________

It pains me to say this but after 8 joyous straight-hair months, my Runway stopped working. I was doing my mother's hair tonight and I was about 1/4th of the way finished when I noticed the iron wasn't heating up anymore. It went from being normal hot to just warm, to now just cold. The red light indicator is dim and not flashing as it should be when it's at the desired temperature. I will not try to contact FHI for a replacement because they will not give a warranty to anyone who doesn't buy it from a salon or their website.

I had such a great experience with the Runway that it pains me to have to go find another one. I have been hearing that the CHIs break easily these days and I'm not sure about the other brands out there. Does anyone make a flat iron that lasts more than a year or two?

I did notice FHI changed the packaging of the box to be in red and black and show the runway and a girl. My box is white and blue and just shows the iron. So maybe the new box design signifies a new and better Runway iron -- who knows?

September 19, 2009 Update
_______________________

I've now purchased two more flat irons since my Runway broke. The CHI Original ($90) and the Solia 1" ($80). Here's how I'd compare them to the Runway.

The CHI original is the weakest of the three irons, due to the fixed temperature. The best thing about the CHI is that it is made in the USA (real ones sold at salons, not the fakes). I am keeping the CHI as a backup iron in case my Solia ever stops working. It's not horrible and I could be happy with the results, it's just that it takes longer to straighten your hair with it and it gives more flyaways than the other two. Overall quality grade: C

The Solia 1" gives similar results compared to the Runway. For less than 1/3 of the price I can't really be picky here. The problem with the Solia is that it still gives flyaways and some unwanted bends, while the Runway seemed just about flawless. The Solia heats up faster than the Runway though. I don't think the Runway is worth buying after trying the cheaper Solia. It is made in Korea, same place as the Runway, and looks very much the same as the Runway except the plates are blue and not white. Overall quality grade: B

In conclusion, the Runway is -technically- the best flat iron I've ever tried and gave me "A" quality results that were close to what one could achieve with Japanese hair straightening (thermal reconditioning), but I would not recommend purchasing it due to it possibly breaking and the price you are paying to get one. You can spend a 1/4th of the price and get something that is only a hair or two worse, literally. Basically, it is not in a league of its own.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2011 12:24 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars For now, the perfect sub notebook with looks in my opinion, February 2, 2008
What an outstanding sub notebook computer from Sony! The TZ is a continuation of their current classic sub notebook line called the T series, which has evolved now to the TZ. From its gorgeous looks, such as its piano black keyboard frame and the emerald green led power button making it stand out from the rest of the pack, to its terrific battery life (potentially 7-9 hours), to all the features it has (dvd drive, web camera, built in microphone, vga), there is just so much to like. I've used most of the features this computer has and I still can't say "WOW" when I look at how small and portable this is.

I'll segment my review into the different aspects of the TZ150 and grade them individually.

PERFORMANCE(MY RATING: A-)
===========================
Out of the box the TZ150 scores low. 1GB RAM + Sony Bloated Vista Business OS = slow as molasses computing performance. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it's possible to improve the performance dramatically.

If you do a clean installation of the operating system (albeit not a trivial task for the average person), tweak Vista so that it is optimized for performance (for example, using the Classic Theme instead of Aero), and switch the 1GB RAM with a 2GB stick (about $40 or so these days), you can expect powerful performance for a computer in this class. I'd also recommend removing the hidden partition (done easily by using the VAIO Recovery Disks) to free up an additional 8GB of space.

Performance times are the following:
Cold boot up: 38 - 55 seconds, depending on how optimized the system is. Time measured from pressing power button until desktop appears on screen (includes bios start-up, et cetera).

Shut down time: 12 - 15 seconds.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Start-up time (includes splash credits): 5 seconds. MS Office programs (Word/Excel/OneNote): 1-2 seconds, first time opening them. 1 second afterward.

KEYBOARD (MY RATING: B)
========================
The TZ's keyboard is 10% smaller than that of a full sized one, so the keys may feel cramped to some. However, the keyboard features flat keys that feature gaps between them. Besides making the keyboard look better aesthetically, this helps make sure you don't press the wrong key next to the one you were trying to press.

The keyboard frame is a glossy piano black, which can get scuffed and show oil very easily. I recommend a keyboard protector for this reason. The only real drawback to the keyboard is that there are no dedicated page up/down and home and end keys -- instead, they are mapped onto the arrow keys, which require you to hold the Fn key first.

PORTABILITY AND FORM FACTOR (MY RATING: A-)
============================================
The TZ's dimensions are smaller to that of a standard looseleaf piece of paper--not counting thickness of course, which is only 1" anyway. The TZ is very portable, but it does require care as it's fragile, and this is the only reason for me to grade it with an A- here instead of an A.

For example, in the instructions, Sony asks that you put a keyboard protector cover whenever the unit is closed (possibly to avoid the keyboard coming into contact with the screen). Having to remember to keep that protective cloth with you all the time is going to be annoying for some people. Also, the top lid itself requires you to be gentle with it whenever you're lifting it up to open the computer.

But probably the biggest factor for portability should be the battery life. Under normal use, with everything turned on, this is giving me 4-5 hours.

However, with optimized settings using VAIO Power Saver mode, brightness and volume on low, the DVD drive and wifi turned off, you can get 7-9 hours, no questions. So really, when Sony says you have all day computing power with the TZ, they mean it. And if those times still aren't good enough you can always buy the extended battery, granted at $200-300, it's not cheap.

FEATURES (MY RATING: A+ NOTHING IS MISSING!)
=============================================
There are a slew of features that come with the TZ150, but I'll only limit my discussion to the few that I use. The MotionEye web cam is pretty good but it's rated as a 1.3 (or 0.3 depending on what source you're looking at) Megapixel camera, so don't expect the best of quality.

The built-in microphone is also pretty good though doesn't seem to record sounds coming from a distance (it barely detects the sounds coming from my TV in the same room only about 10 feet away).

The VGA port and microphone input is really handy; I connected a 1080p Sony KDL-40XBR3 LCD TV with it and the picture and sound are terrific. No compatibility problems. The only issue is that I can't get 1080p, so the best I can do is 720P as the computer's max resolution output to the external display is 1366 x 768.

The DVD drive is good; I have had zero problems burning the recovery disks and all my disks I put into it work. 2 USB ports work as they should as does the ethernet plug (for wired connectivity), though the ethernet plug is hidden inside a compartment, which I found a little cumbersome to remove the first few times.

OTHER NOTES
===========
I should say the computer does generate some heat; not much though. On the left side the computer gets noticeably warm, but I wouldn't use the word hot to describe it. Your sensations may vary though. Also the emerald green LED power button may bother the person sitting to the right of you, but I have yet to hear anyone complain about it.

Obviously, you can't compare this computer's performance power with that of a recently configured desktop or other notebooks that are bigger than it. You won't be able to play Crysis on this thing, no doubt, but it will play older games with reasonable performance. This is mainly due to it not having a discrete Graphics Processing Unit, which is usually the case for computers of this size. They are not meant to be gaming grade or powerful video editing computers, but they can play older games reasonably OK.

Also, I should add that for those who just can't let go of windows XP, Sony DOES provide Windows XP Downgrade Disks. You can order them for free and only pay for shipping. Personally, though, Vista is just super-fast enough, and with SP1 officially around the corner to further improve its performance and value, I see no reason why to downgrade.

CONCLUSION
==========
I cannot recommend this computer to those who are not very comfortable using the Windows operating system, as it requires a lot of tweaking and registry editing to get it to perform the way I have described. A lot of people complain the computer is slow--this is due to them not tweaking the computer for best performance and using the Sony bloated OS version of Vista. Hence, if you are the type of person who buys a computer and you don't make backup recovery disks and don't plan for a clean isntallation, don't defrag your hard drive on a regular basis, don't get this computer. This requires effort to get it working for optimum performance, but the effort pays off in the end.

But beyond that, do go with this computer most importantly, if you want a good traveling companion. This computer is a blast to use. I haven't taken it with me on any flights, but I have used it outside the house and it's just been nothing but fun. I can just stick this into my tiny backpack instead of having to carry around a big "laptop backpack" for average sized notebooks. You can definitely use this for flights (crowded coach is no problem), relaxing at home in bed, just working on a traditional desk, taking it with you for business or school purposes, or just using it with an external display with a computer output. Also this is one of the few notebook computers out there that are still Made in Japan. I just love this computer!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2008 11:48 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2