Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Jerry Sanchez > Reviews

Browse

Jerry Sanchez's Profile

Customer Reviews: 412

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jerry Sanchez RSS Feed (NY/SF/SLC)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike
Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike
by Phil Knight
Price: $17.40
75 used & new from $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Story, July 18, 2016
This is one of the best memoirs I have ever read. The story is an amazing one of perseverance, grit, luck and hard work. But what makes this book truly shine is the way it is told. I don't know if Mr. Knight wrote it himself or if someone else assisted, but the writing is fantastic. From Mr. Knight's trip around the world, to Blue Ribbon Sports and the distribution of Onitsuka Tigers, to the ever-evolving Nike shoes and apparel brand, to one of the best known and valued brands across the globe, this is an inspiring story of one man's journey of love, family and success. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone. This book is not about running, sports or even shoes, but rather is about what one man and one team can accomplish if they don't give up and work towards a common goal.

The Wright Brothers
The Wright Brothers
by David McCullough
Price: $12.01
67 used & new from $4.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur and Orville - American Heroes, June 6, 2016
This review is from: The Wright Brothers (Paperback)
Every kid in the country knows that Wilbur and Orville Wright were the first to fly in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. But what I don't recall from my history text books was the global phenomenon the Wright Brothers became and how critical a role their sister Katharine played in the birth of aviation. From demonstrating their flying machine in Ohio to Washington, DC to France, the Wright Brothers are true American heroes and models of perseverance, not to mention brilliant engineers. They had a dream and sacrificed the chance to have their own family to focus on what they loved - flying. The risks they took, literally taking their life in their own hands every time they launched their machine into the sky, are incomprehensible in today's world of 2016 where safety always comes first. Similar to each of his other books, McCullough's research is impeccable, making the story read more like a non-fiction narrative than a history book. This book is truly another McCullough masterpiece.

Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble
Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble
by Dan Lyons
Price: $16.07
76 used & new from $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars One Side of the Story, June 6, 2016
This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, if only because it’s hard to imagine working at the company described in this book. While I don’t know anything about HubSpot other than what I read in this book, I see the same traits among the cloud-centric start-up unicorns here in the Salt Lake City area: hire young people, give them free food (e.g., cereal and candy), hype up their job title and create a funky culture to overlook the fact that most of the people are underpaid call center workers.

What those young people could not do, however, is write an entertaining, witty, memoir of their experience. And that is what Lyons does in Disrupted and where his journalism background benefits us all. I know there are always two sides to every story, but the story told in Lyons’s book leaves the reader with a poor impression of HubSpot and its management. That may be the very point of the book, although it also raises relevant questions of age discrimination, company cultures and the nature of work in the digital age. Overall, I enjoyed this book, but caution future readers to remember this is just one man’s experience in the SaaS company boom we are living in today.

Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy--And How to Make Them Work for You
by Geoffrey Parker PhD
Price: $15.70
72 used & new from $15.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Academic Look at Disruptive Technologies, May 17, 2016
I read this book because I am interested in technology and found it interesting, but fairly academic in nature. I honestly did not get as much out of this book as I could have because I am not an entrepreneur currently in the process of building a disruptive or novel technology. Rather, I am merely a user of certain platform technologies on the sidelines, which is why many of the lessons in this book were lost on me in that I cannot put them into practice. Were I to begin building a platform of any kind, I would immediately turn back to this book, as there are valuable lessons to be found for platform builders. The book's organization and chapter progression was helpful, but I found chapters 9-12 the most engaging. Overall, I recommend this book for those looking for advice when building platforms rather than more casual readers looking for a narrative or history of current technology platforms.

Dad Is Fat
Dad Is Fat
by Jim Gaffigan
Price: $10.66
177 used & new from $0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Relatable Experiences For Any Parent, May 4, 2016
This review is from: Dad Is Fat (Paperback)
If you enjoy comedy and laugh-out-loud storytelling, this book is for you. If you have raised or are raising kids, this book also is for you. As the parent of four children, I could relate all too well with the stories and experiences in this book. Hearing it come from Gaffigan made it that much more hilarious. But don't think the book is entirely a joke, there is definitely some insightfulness for any reader in the author's experiences. If you have a chance to listen to the audiobook, I recommend it because listening to the stories in this book through the author's own voice as opposed to the voice in your head makes the book that much more entertaining. Recommended for all parents who need to realize they are not the only ones losing their minds at times.

Everything I Know About Leadership The Virgin Way (Hardback) - Common
Everything I Know About Leadership The Virgin Way (Hardback) - Common
by by Richard Branson
39 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories from a Serial Entrepreneur, April 22, 2016
I liked this book, but didn't find it groundbreaking. Branson does offer insights into how he has managed to lead a well-respected, global, multi-company brand from scratch, certainly an impressive feat, but I felt the leadership lessons he preaches are the same ones that can be gained from other leadership books. This book is most valuable for those looking to learn more about Branson himself and the companies he has helped build. One of my all-time best travel experiences, hands down, was an Upper Class flight from SFO to Heathrow in 2012. The entire experience was quite remarkable and memorable, from the service on the plane to the hot shave I received at the revival lounge in Heathrow upon landing the next morning. It takes a certain leader and company culture to create such a memorable experience compared to the experience flying has become these days, with the exception of Virgin America. And although I know Virgin America has always been separate from the broader Virgin brand, I have always loved my experiences with VA and am quite sad to see it disappear into Alaska's brand.

In short, if you're interested in Branson and what has made him and his brand successful over the decades, this book is an interesting and informative walk through war stories from a successful businessman and serial entrepreneur. If you're interested in the leadership lessons this book can offer, I suggest you read solely the summary at the end and move on to the next book.

Seiko SRX003 Mens Premier Kinetic Direct Drive Moonphase White Dial Black Leather Watch
2 used & new from $970.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch, April 22, 2016
This watch is among my favorite watches in my collection. I purchased it at a discount from a small jewelry store going out of business on the corner of 45th Street and Lexington Avenue in NYC five years ago and have worn it proudly since. Seiko has made a great looking, functional watch with this model and I have received numerous compliments from colleagues and others over the years as I have worn this watch - at work and at play. One of the great things about this watch is the Kinetic movement. Unlike automatic or mechanical watches, once I get the power drive up to the week or month indicator (normal after a few days of use), I can let this watch sit and wear other watches from my collection without having to worry I will have to reset all of the complications. With my automatics, I am always resetting the time/day/date after just a few days of non-use. This watch keeps great time, the complications are helpful and well displayed and the watch looks fantastic on a wrist. Seiko really nailed it with this watch.

When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
by Jerry Weintraub
Price: $12.45
78 used & new from $7.14

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertainer's Life, March 31, 2016
The late Jerry Weintraub led a remarkable life and shares some of its highlights in this engaging collection of stories. Although one of the reviewers pointed out that Weintraub leaves out his failures in this memoir, I found that there was plenty to learn from Weintraub's successes. But this book, like Weintraub's life, is about entertainment. Weintraub was in the middle of it all during the later half of Hollywood's golden years - from pitching Walt Disney (the man) ideas, to promoting Elvis, Sinatra and John Denver, to flying with Armand Hammer through the Soviet Union, hanging out with George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter to creating The Karate Kid and later producing Oceans Eleven with its cast of stars. As a Jewish boy from the Bronx, this book is the epitome of the American Dream and the rags to riches story. I enjoyed this book more than I thought and recommend it as light reading to anyone looking for a good story.

The Industries of the Future
The Industries of the Future
by Alec Ross
Price: $20.05
100 used & new from $7.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Read for All Leaders, March 8, 2016
Alec Ross paints a clear and timely view of what the world may look like in the next few decades: robotics, genomics, automation, blockchains, virtual reality, the sharing economy and more. To summarize one famous entrepreneur, people vastly overestimate the technological change that will occur in the next five years, but vastly underestimate the amount of change that occurs in the coming ten years. Looking back, that appears to be true - 2006 in important ways is a different world from the world we live in today. And in ten years, 2026 will (I hope) be well advanced from our time today. Ross provides a reasoned and descriptive picture of where we may be heading technologically, socially and politically as well as the pros and cons of such change. Of course, the author's predictions are just that, predictions, and there is no guarantee any of it will come to pass, but staying ahead of the curve, educating oneself and adapting to change is the role of all leaders, regardless of industry or organization.

Committed: A Love Story
Committed: A Love Story
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: $11.12
318 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Marriage - Past and Present, February 24, 2016
The most interesting part of the Ms. Gilbert's book is her own personal story, the story of how her partner Felipe was barred from entering the United States by DHS officials, and how the most effective way for both the author and her lover to be together in the States was to get married. Both scarred from prior divorces, official, legal marriage was the last thing on their mind when wanting to start their lives together. But in their desire to be physically together, Ms. Gilbert sets out to study and grow comfortable with the idea of the institution of marriage as they both travel the world together waiting for Felipe's immigration paperwork to be cleared. This book contains history and the evolution of marriage through the centuries, but such information is included largely to provide context around the author's personal views and narrative. She does a solid job of pointing out the societal norms and necessity of marriage and how studies have shown marriage impacts men and women differently (in short, marriage is good for men and bad for women). I found her thoughtful approach to marriage engaging and insightful, even if I don't subscribe to every idea she put forth in the book. As a married man of twelve years, I can attest that, while challenging, marriage can be fulfilling, helpful, motivating and wonderful. I hope Ms. Gilbert has found all the things I have in my marriage with her Felipe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20