Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Charis > Reviews

Browse

Charis' Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charis RSS Feed (Santa Barbara, CA)

50 pcs New Empty Clear Plastic Cosmetic Containers 3 Gram Size Pot Jars Eye Shadow Container Lot Size:Diameter: 31 mm/1.2 inch Height: 16.5 mm/0.6 inch.
Offered by TOPWEL
Price: $7.80
17 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Two (of fifty) were broken, with significant pieces missing ..., November 2, 2015
Two (of fifty) were broken, with significant pieces missing in the threaded portion. Otherwise the jars are decent quality, with caps that screw on securely. Arrived in a single ziploc bag inside a padded bubble mailer.

Pilot Fountain Pen with Ergo Grip, Extra Fine Nib, Clear Body (PFP50RNCEF)
Pilot Fountain Pen with Ergo Grip, Extra Fine Nib, Clear Body (PFP50RNCEF)
Price: $6.94
182 used & new from $6.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Cheap Pen -- and Truly EF!, June 3, 2015
The Pilot Penmanship was the first Extra-Fine nib I tried, and it remains one of my favourites -- the nib is as needle-fine as the XF gel pens I used previously and perfect for my small writing. It's not the most comfortable in the hand over time -- I find the grip section a little bit small, even if the divots for ergonomics are nice -- but it's super-lightweight if that's something you need. The cap screws on, which makes for better wear over time, as well as securing it more nicely. The pen comes with a single cartridge; in my case, I emptied it out and washed it before refilling it with J. Herbin ink using an eyedropper (cheaper than a converter and entirely easy to do).

One nice thing about the cheaper Pilot pens is that the nibs are interchangeable -- I've swapped nibs between a Plumix, a Metropolitan, and the Penmanship with great success. Since the Metropolitan doesn't come in an EF nib, I replaced it with this and came out with what I think is a terrific long-use EF for under $25.

LAMY Safari Fountain Pen Charcoal Ex-Fine (L17EF)
LAMY Safari Fountain Pen Charcoal Ex-Fine (L17EF)
Offered by Advantage Gifts
Price: $27.95
4 used & new from $26.31

3.0 out of 5 stars A Not-So-Fine Letdown, May 26, 2015
The important thing to know about this pen is that European nibs run broader -- potentially a LOT broader -- than Japanese nibs. I prefer a truly extra-fine pen, but after hearing good things about Lamy figured I'd give it a whirl. After all, I've used a Japanese Fine with success, and that should be on par ... right?

Wrong. This pen feels more like a Japanese Medium -- it's certainly wider than my Pilot Metropolitan Fine, even using a comparable ink. It's also sticky -- the nib jams and requires me to go over certain spots repeatedly -- and yet somehow super-wet at the same time, as if it's either one extreme or the other. I'm not sure if it'll behave better once the pen is tuned, or if I'll just end up replacing the nib with the 1.5mm calligraphy nib I have on order and hope for the best.

The pen itself is plastic -- this particular model is a matte charcoal -- and pretty lightweight as a consequence. There's a window in the body that allows for viewing of ink levels on either cartridge or converter. Mine came with a twist converter, which is oriented through the application of two small plastic bumps that specify how it goes on and took two fills -- one through the pen, one for the converter separately -- before it would hold ink. I think I might consider refilling cartridges rather than a converter in the long term. The heaviest bit of the pen is the substantial metal clip, which I've heard people either love or hate. Personally, I've no opinion either way yet, though it does make rolling up my pen case a little more tricky. An O-ring at the join of the body also serves to secure the cap.

All in all: the construction of the pen itself is okay -- nothing particularly impressive. I like the ability to replace nibs. However, I am very much not impressed with the nib and the ink flow out of the box. When I have better results with a $5 Platinum Preppy than this pen, it doesn't make me want to come back for another.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2015 1:09 PM PDT

My Israel Celebrates: Halleluya 2
My Israel Celebrates: Halleluya 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid CD, Misleading Description, October 7, 2012
When I was younger, I had a cassette tape of this CD, or something very similar to it. I was excited to pick it up, because it's childhood nostalgia. However, the cover is misleading: the 27 songs are actually over 15 fifteen tracks, with three as medleys. If you know what you're getting yourself into, that's fine, but caveat emptor, if you expect full versions of all of the songs. I'd forgotten there were a bunch of medleys, and when I loaded up the CD was left blinking for a moment at the number of tracks, sure there was a problem -- especially with the track names that had loaded in from Gracenote.

All that said? I have a soft spot for this CD, perhaps because of that same nostalgia, but it's a good selection of songs -- my Israeli mother in particular remembers a number of them from growing up. There are some great tracks, ones I come back to years after and remember singing along with as a child. It's a good compilation.

Tracklist:
1) Heveinu Shalom Haleichem / Od Avinu Hai / Hava Nagila / David Melech Israel / U'sh'avtem Mayim
2) Israel Sheli Hogeget
3) Eyfo Hen Ha-Bahurot Ha-Hen
4) Pit'om Kam Adam
5) Adon Olam
6) Ha-Oreach
7) Hine Ma Tov / Lo bayom ve-lo ba-layla / Etz ha-rimon / Malkout ha-Hermon / Shoshana Shoshana
8) Ba Pardes
14) Ha-Hagiga Nigmeret
15) Hatikva

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Shape, Poor Quality, November 4, 2011
I bought a couple of these at a local store to use for making truffles. The size and shape are excellent, but the molds themselves are flimsy -- I've had cavities break as early as the first use. It's a disappointment, but I'm switching to other kinds because these just don't hold up.

Divine Intervention
Divine Intervention
Price: $22.97
19 used & new from $11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ecklar Excels Again, August 23, 2003
This review is from: Divine Intervention (Audio CD)
Wonderful music, marvellous voice, splendid lyrics -- all in all, a terrific album, both a grand introduction for anyone not familiar with filk music and an equally grand listen for those acquainted with it. The instrumentation appeals to more mainstream listeners, but the quality here is anything but ordinary. If nothing else, certainly take a listen -- this is amazing stuff!