Profile for Melvin Fields > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Melvin Fields "Reviews you can trust!" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Simple Audio Go Compact Rechargeable Bluetooth Speaker (90B0001-US)
Simple Audio Go Compact Rechargeable Bluetooth Speaker (90B0001-US)
Offered by Printers on sale (No Tax)
Price: $37.30
24 used & new from $33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bluetooth speaker for $50 or less, by far!, June 28, 2015
I was lucky to find this speaker on a super sale for $20 with free shipping from another site, I figured for $20, what do I have to lose? WOW, I was totally blown away by the sound and quality of this speaker. I own several bluetooth speakers, before getting this Simple Audio Go speaker, I was of the opinion that the best small, extremely portable bluetooth speaker with decent sound was the Sol Republic Punk. The Punk is very small, about the size of a hockey puck, but this Simple Audio Go speaker is not much bigger, but the sound is so much bigger, incredible for its size. What impresses me the most about the sound is that it is very clean throughout the tonal range. Highs, lows and vocals all come through in correct tonal balance.

I did some research on the company, Simple Audio is a Scottish company started by a couple of sound engineers, sound quality is the most important component of all their products.

As others have stated, it comes with a very nice drawstring bag, AUX cable, USB charging cable, and charging adapter, all in a very well presented package.

A well done product in every aspect!

I highly recommend this speaker as your "go to" extremely portable bluetooth speaker, you will not be sorry!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 11:31 AM PDT

Motorola X Sol Republic Deck Bluetooth NFC Wireless Speaker - Gunmetal - 89641N
Motorola X Sol Republic Deck Bluetooth NFC Wireless Speaker - Gunmetal - 89641N
Offered by shopcelldeals
Price: $44.99
19 used & new from $44.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't believe the nay-sayers, had to try it for myself, count me in!, June 7, 2015
I read all the so-so reviews, but then there were these glowing reviews? Plus, the Deck was originally $200 when first introduced, now only $47, I had to buy it at this price to see for myself, how bad could it be? Wow, pretty bad! To me, the sol(e) purpose of a speaker is to produce great sound, this speaker fails in every respect. It is not loud, has no bass, no "fullness". I have the Punk from Sol Republic, it is less than half the size of the deck and sounds much better, louder, fuller, a bit of bass punch, no wonder it sells for more than the Deck. If you go to Sol Republic web page for the Deck, there is a video of a bunch of people loudly partying around a pool listening to the Deck, no way would anyone ever be able to hear the Deck at such a party. I had several bluetooth speakers set up on my kitchen counter to compare to the Deck to others, I was playing music from my MacBook Air, as I disconnected from one speaker and before connecting to another, the song playing would play on my laptop speaker, as I switched to the Deck it was like I simply moved my Macbook Air to the counter, sounded no better (maybe slightly) than the sound coming out of my MacBook! I could only recommend this to someone who wants an inexpensive speaker to sit on their nightstand to listen to music or some other close quarters situation. Even then, I would recommend the Sol Republic Punk or even the BEM Mobile speaker, both produce better sound. Now, my question is to do I send it back or give it to a less critical friend? The latter would be against my rule, "Friends don't give friends crappy bluetooth speakers", so I guess it is going back!

Puzzle
Puzzle
Price: $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Put your new awesome sound system to the test with Dada's Puzzle..., June 1, 2015
This review is from: Puzzle (MP3 Music)
Bought a 2013 Turbo Beetle with a tremendous "Fender Audio System", 9 speakers including subwoofer in rear hatch, plus integrated iPod connection in glove box, all controlled through touchscreen interface on dash. I have a 120GB iPod Classic filled with tunes from several generations. After over a year of one hour or more commutes each way to and from work, listening to my iPod collection exclusively, Dada's Puzzle has become my favorite album. The sound quality is off the rails, their sound is like no one else, all the songs and lyrics are great, these guys are a finely tuned machine! Their music really shines on a great audio system, maybe this is why they never made it bigger than they did? I had the album for years, like most, I listened to Dizz Knee Land, but pretty much ignored the other cuts. On my new sound system, I'm rediscovering them all over again. You need to play this on a great sound system and play it loud! Give it a test drive, I guarantee you will come back again, and again, and again! Some of the standout cuts for me are "Here today, gone tomorrow", "Dorina", "Dim" and of course, "Dizz Knee Land".

Anker Classic Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with 20 Hour Battery Life and Full, High-Def Sound for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia and More(Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to see (or hear) here, please move on..., June 1, 2015
Save your money, I bought this on sale for $28 and wound up returning it the same day I received it, paid $6 to ship back, not worth keeping, I would rather receive the $22 net refund. I read so many great reviews, thought this must be an awesome little speaker. It is very well made, but once again, the only reason I buy speakers is for sound quality. I did not expect this to be equal to speakers costing $100, but I did expect it to be something special in its class. Maybe others giving great reviews are used to very cheap, low quality bluetooth speakers? The speaker appeared to be very well made, nice fit and finish, but the sound was tinny, weak, not enough volume, no punch, nothing special. I have the BEM Mobile speaker, it is much clearer, full sounding than t his unit. I also have the Sol Republic PUNK speaker, to me, this is the best "extremely portable" speaker currently available. Its flat, hockey puck shape makes it a no brainer to take anywhere. The sound out of the PUNK is actually pretty good considering its size. It has more "presence" and "punch" than other small bluetooth speakers. I picked up the Sol Republic PUNK at a big box store for about $45, very happy with it.

Creative Sound Blaster Roar: Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with aptX/AAC. 5 Drivers, Built-in Subwoofer
Price: $149.99
4 used & new from $145.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this speaker..., June 1, 2015
Was excited about this speaker, reviews regarding sound quality were mostly over the top positive, ability to play songs from a micro sd card intrigued me, would allow it to be a standalone entertainment system, no need to connect to phone or MP3 player. To me, the most important thing in a speaker is sound quality, to my ears, the sound of this speaker (at least the one I received) did not match what I had expected considering the many great reviews. The best way that I can describe the sound of this speaker is "mushy". It did not have deep bass, the vocals and mid range tones weren't clear, it had an overall "soft" sound. No punch to the bass, yet the vocals weren't crisp either. The terra bass feature did not do much to improve the bass, just made the sounds even "mushier". The ROAR feature just made the system louder, not better sounding. I did discover that the sound quality was very dependent on placement. If placed on a surface surrounded by walls or other barriers, as in the corner of my kitchen countertop, the overall sound quality was greatly enhanced, but I bought this speaker mainly for playing outside during gatherings, this means that in most applications it would be sitting on a table or other surface. I tried playing this unit outside on deck rails, patio table, even set it on the steps of my porch to have a surface to radiate, still not the sound I was looking for. I really wanted to like this speaker, all the specs looked great, but in the end, after comparing to several other bluetooth speakers, I decided to return it. It just did not fill any niche in my bluetooth speaker collection.

Air Hogs Axis 300X Silver RC Helicopter
Air Hogs Axis 300X Silver RC Helicopter
Offered by Blue Valley Market
Price: $20.00
42 used & new from $17.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest to fly Air Hogs Copter to date, extremely duruable, buy it!, May 1, 2015
This is the most stable, easy to fly Air Hog helicopter ever! I have purchased previous models in years past, could never get them to fly "where I wanted them to go", that is the difference with this model. It is very easy to hover, does not spin out of control, and after a few practice rounds, I was able to land it in someone's hand. The copter seems to be extremely durable, crashed onto hardwood floors from 2 story ceiling, no damage, set it upright and it took off without a hitch. You are probably thinking, if it is so easy to fly, how did I crash it? The first few flights I just started it up with full throttle, didn't realize you had to back off a bit to keep it hovering, it tapped the ceiling. It seems that whenever the rotors hit something, it throws the copter completely out of whack and you can't recover. I paid $10 for mine, at this price it is a steal, I have bought several more to give to friends, not sure why they are marked down? Maybe clearing out for a new model? I say get it now, while they still have them, maybe I should buy more before this comment wipes out stock.

MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smartshell Stand Cover Case for Apple iPad 4 & 3 (3rd and 4th Generation with Retina Display) / iPad 2 9.7-Inch Tablet, BLACK (with Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep)
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $15.95
2 used & new from $12.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard shell back provides little, if any, protection from falls, December 8, 2014
The case fit the iPad fine, but the hard plastic back shell doesn't really provide any protection from falls. I dropped it from sitting height onto a hard tile floor, the case hit the floor on one of the hard plastic backing corners, put a tiny, tiny chip in the case, but the impact shattered the screen! The iPad still worked, but looked terrible, I had the screen replaced at a mall kiosk, cost me $130, should have spent more on a case! Also, when folding up the front cover to act as a stand, I could not get it to stay standing in an upright position. It worked fine for an elevated typing position, but the upright position was too upright, it keep tilting forward. The PROS for this case are that the iPad snaps firmly and tightly into the hard plastic back, looks nice with cover closed, magnet does put iPad into sleep mode and the front cover folds nicely completely behind the unit to use in a flat position. But, overall, I would have to say I don't recommend this case to others. I'm attaching a photo of the cracked screen, it was taken while the still in the case.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying, I don't understand all the positive reviews..., November 16, 2014
I can only think that the positive reviewers have never owned a regular, full featured Keurig brewer.

The number one reason I own a Keurig is convenience! Despite the high cost of K-cups and all the issues with brewers, when it works, it is the easiest and quickest way to brew a delicious cup of coffee. I'm single and it does not make sense for me to brew a whole pot of coffee when all I drink is 2 cups at a sitting. When thinking about the cost of the k-cups I compare it to the cost of a purchased cup of coffee at a donut shop, McDonalds, or even Starbucks, plus the time I save stopping at one of these places. Considering this, I find the Keurig system a bargain, I think this is the number one reason it has become so popular.

Benefits of full featured Keurig Brewer -
1. It has a water reservoir, only has be filled every 8 to 10 cups
2. The output (cup size, 6oz, 8oz or 9oz) can be precisely set by simply pressing a button
3. It can be programmed to turn on and off at preset times
4. Brews a cup of coffee in a minute or less
5. Room for a larger, taller cup

The K10 has none of these benefits! The only advantage I can see is that is a bit cheaper and a bit smaller, but in reality, it is not that much smaller (as far as counter space taken up) than the full sized Keurig.

With the K10, you have to carefully enter the amount of water that you want to brew, there is a device inside the reservoir to help you determine the amount of water, I found it not very easy to use at all. Also, the one I had took forever, much longer than a minute to start brewing, plus I found it a hassle to fit my 16oz. "to go" cup under the brewer. I had to remove the bottom base, still a tight fit. I usually use 2 K-cups to fill a 16oz. disposable "to go" cup. With the K10, I have to pour the water in for the first pod, now open the lid to the reservoir, pour more water in, start over, if I put too much water in, my cup over flows, what a mess!

With the regular, full size Keurig, I would simply insert my first K-cup, press the 8oz button, when done, put another k-cup pod in and press the 6oz button, perfectly fills my 16oz "to go" cup and allows enough room to add cream and sugar.

Needles to say, I returned the K10.

Maybe my needs are different, but I found the K10 more of a hassle than it was worth!

Hope you find my points helpful

Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Vacuum, Silver
Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Vacuum, Silver
18 used & new from $21.48

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have bare floors, stop reading and buy it now!, June 15, 2014
It seems that the vinyl floor in my kitchen always has crumbs and cat hair tumbleweeds, I have a cordless handheld vacuum, but getting too old be bending over to use it to pick up the all debris. This little vacuum is essentially a handheld corded vacuum with a handle and wheeled bare floor attachment. When I first used this vacuum with the floor attachment in place, I was shocked at how well it picked up along my kitchen cabinet toe-kick areas and under and around my table and chairs. For those hard to reach places, I just took off the floor attachment and using the handle was able to get almost everywhere, there is a crevice tool if you have to get into really tight areas. As I type this review it is available from Walmart online for less than $16! If you have bare floors, it will be the best $16 you ever spent.

Magic Bullet Dessert Bullet Blender
Magic Bullet Dessert Bullet Blender
Price: $21.59
38 used & new from $21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, a perfect frozen dessert on first try!, May 4, 2014
Wow! I just made my first frozen dessert with this device and it was incredible! I don't know why people have posted negative reviews, I was impressed with this device in every way. Here is my recipe for a fail safe delicious frozen dessert -

1. chop whole or halved frozen strawberries into 1/2" pieces, no need to let strawberries thaw (I buy 5 lb. bags of frozen strawberries from a wholesale club)
2. put chopped strawberries into a cereal bowl or larger
3. sprinkle strawberries with sweetener of choice (I used the blue bag stuff), stir
4. mix in some non-fat greek strawberry yogurt, just enough to coat the strawberries a bit, don't use too much
5. stir the ingredients in the bowl about to mix the yogurt evenly
6. dump contents into Magic Bullet Dessert Bullet tube, turn on and start pushing gently

The result was a delicious soft ice cream or frozen yogurt texture that was consistent throughout. This has to be healthier than anything I can buy in a store, and did I say it was delicious?

I think the key to getting a delicious, consistent dessert is to make sure your ingredients are blended to a degree before putting them in the tube and starting the process.

The second thing that impressed me with the machine was how well designed it is. The impeller/grinder is made of a very sturdy plastic or nylon, the tolerances and seals on all the parts are excellent. There is a rim that you can attach to the top of the feed tube that allows you to spoon the ingredients into the tube without worrying about spilling on the the counter. The plunger is designed with a grove to make sure it goes in only one way, this is because there is a curve in the bottom of the plunger to match the curve of the grinding wheel to make sure you use every last bit of stuff shoved into the tube. All the pieces quickly and easily snap into place with a short quarter turn.

Last, but not least, clean up was incredibly easy, all the parts easily twist off and can be rinsed off quickly. I can see this device lasting a long time.

I did not buy this at Amazon, but was so impressed I wanted to post this review immediately to help others if they are trying to decide to buy or not.

I bought mine at a local retailer that is famous for non-expiring 20% coupons.

Buy this, you will not regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2015 3:18 PM PDT