Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Michael Gallagher > Reviews

Browse

Michael Gallagher's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1732
Top Reviewer Ranking: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Terran Privateer (Duchy of Terra Book 1)
The Terran Privateer (Duchy of Terra Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a New Series, Ready for the Next One, July 21, 2016
I picked this up for free using a borrow under the Kindle Unlimited program vs. its normal price of $2.99: I certainly received more than $2.99 worth of entertainment value. The book did start off a little slow for me as there are several species of aliens with strange names that took a while to sort out but, after I did, the story picked up the pace and action. The future technologies weren’t too far off the chart as you could wrap your arms around it without crying foul, and the author did a good job of getting you into the backgrounds into the characters to make you feel like you were in the middle of the story.

This is book one of a planned series – luckily, it does have a logical conclusion and didn’t end in a cliffhanger as I wish book 2 was ready: I’m interested to see where the author’s imagination takes the plot next. If you enjoy a good, fast-paced military science fiction novel, I would recommend this one.

ZOOYOO-Outdoor Inflatable Lounger,Convenient Nylon Fabric Beach Couch with Compression Air Bag,Portable Dream Chair Garden Cushion for Beach Pool. (Sky Blue)
Offered by KING SHINE INC
Price: $64.00
2 used & new from $49.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to Inflate, July 18, 2016
This float / chair is a lot harder to fill up with air than led to believe by the description – unless you have winds of 20+ miles per hour, it’s just not going to happen. We ended up having to hook up a separate air pump to it in order to fill it up and, with a two people assisting, were able to finally close it up with air yet the thing slowly started losing the air: it took a few times to get it closed, and then it really wasn’t a proper seal. We had to fill it back up again after ten minutes. A better design would have had a plug where you could hook it up to an air blower as you waste too much time trying to air it up. I would not recommend this lounger. Please note I received a free sample of this product in return for an honest review.

2 Pack - Private Reserve Ink Schmidt 888 Rollerball Refill Black Fine Tip
2 Pack - Private Reserve Ink Schmidt 888 Rollerball Refill Black Fine Tip
Price: $5.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Writes Smooth and No Smears, July 18, 2016
This may sound strange, but this pen refill ranks high to me as it is easy to write with: you don't have to use extra pressure to make the ink apply to the paper as compared to a generic pen refill as well as no smears. That's worth the extra buck to me!

2 Pack - Private Reserve 8120 Capless Rollerball - Blue Ink
2 Pack - Private Reserve 8120 Capless Rollerball - Blue Ink
Price: $6.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Writes Smooth and No Smears, July 18, 2016

4 Pack - Private Reserve Ink Schmidt P900 Black Medium Nib Parker Style Ballpoint Refill
Price: $9.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Glides Smooth and No Smears, July 18, 2016

Waze Social GPS, Maps & Traffic
Waze Social GPS, Maps & Traffic
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Your Life Easier, July 15, 2016
While admittedly late to the party, I am now a huge fan of the Waze app – easy turn-by-turn directions with warnings of various obstacles in the daily commute, plus shortcuts I would have never considered do make a difference in reducing travel times. The estimated time of arrival to your destination is fairly accurate. I only have two nits: having location services “on” really drains my phone’s battery, and I wish the app would work with Ford synch. All in all, this app will save you a lot of time.

The Weekly Standard
The Weekly Standard
Price: $4.00
2 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Has Really Shifted to the Far Right, July 12, 2016
The Weekly Standard has excellent writers and, despite the stereotype, many of them are conservatives and do give an objective viewpoint and give a fair accounting of most sides of the conversation. However, to me the publisher has really shifted further to the right and has spent more of the front matter of the last few months on a further-right campaign that detracts from just telling me the story: I’d rather hear both sides and make up my own mind rather than being told all Democrats are evil and the Republican base needs to shift on the whims of the publisher. After six months of receiving it on my Kindle Fire, I ended my subscription.

George Will
George Will
Price: $0.99
2 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Writer but Has Shifted Further to the Right, July 12, 2016
This review is from: George Will (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to this blog for a while since it was available to be delivered to my Kindle as I had stopped my newspaper subscriptions – George Will is an excellent writer and he has a biting way of slapping things around with the written word. I’ve read Will’s column for years, but over the last six months he has shifted even further to the right and it’s hard to read him objectively so I ended the subscription.

All-New Kindle E-reader - Black, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi -  Includes Special Offers
All-New Kindle E-reader - Black, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value at $79, July 8, 2016
I am writing this from the perspective of being a long-time experienced Kindle user vs. someone brand new. From an overall perspective, considering the pricing of the Kindle with Special Offers at $79 vs. higher amounts for the different flavors of Kindle available today, this one is a bargain. If you have wanted to get your kids a Kindle to encourage reading as well as sharing of books but hesitated because $119 to $289+ is a lot of money to risk with a child, maybe at $79 this is your price point.

From a size standpoint, the reading screen is the exact same size as the other e-Ink Kindles. It is slightly thinner and lighter than the Kindle Paperwhite, but to me it's not really a noticeable difference when you're holding it in a protective cover.

There are no page buttons - no buttons at all except for the power button - and turning the page is as easy as tapping the side of the screen with your thumb while you're reading, or swiping the screen with your finger.

Reading is easy on this one: in comparison to my previous version of the same model the letters on the screen are much, much darker and easier to read and the display is crisp. Looking at the display side-by-side in the same location of an eBook against the prior version of Kindle mentioned above, the text on this Kindle is much darker and reads a lot better. Compared to a Paperwhite it is not as dark but those results are to be expected since the Paperwhite has 80%4+ more pixels per inch, but at this price point that's not too big of a concern for me as each new version of the Kindle gets better and better with the fonts and screen display and this one is pretty darn good - you want to be able to read what you're supposed to, right?

If you like the text-to-speech feature of previous Kindle models or listened to music with your Kindle Keyboard as an example, please be aware there are no speakers nor is there a plug for headphones.

In comparison to the previous version of Kindle this one is replacing, other than the crisper text / fonts from the improved screen display, as far as I can tell this new version of Kindle has the same technical specifications of the previous Kindle: about the same size, same internal memory. If you had a precious version of the Kindle this version is replacing, that means you can use the same cover as the previous version.

Battery life is supposed to last "...weeks on a single charge" but I doubt it: I charged it up 100% late yesterday afternoon and, 18 hours later, the battery meter is indicating about 75% left. This was after reading for a couple of hours with the Wi-Fi left on but the Kindle not being used overnight as I left it in sleep mode. Time will tell if this is going to be a problem or not.

It did take a few minutes to get this model up and running as you first need to connect it to a WiFi connection (this model does not have 3G capability) in addition to the normal making sure it is registered and going through a mandatory tutorial on which areas of the screen to tap to perform various functions. There is a lot of Amazon marketing you have to weed through: do you want to sign up for Goodreads (an Amazon affiliate), would you like to sign up for Kindle Unlimited (for a monthly recurring revenue stream to Amazon), would you like to link your Facebook and Twitter accounts so your're friends / family / perfect strangers can be voyeuristic on what you are reading (absolutely not for me). You can also sign up for parental controls with this version which I think is a great idea - sometimes you don't want your children to read what you are reading.

Once you have gone through the registration process, if you have previously identified your books into collections this Kindle will perform an automatic import of the various categories / collections you have linked to your Amazon account and links to the books in the Cloud that you can immediately download in the same category on the new Kindle. If you're replacing an older Kindle with this one that could be handy, but if you have other people on your account / family in households with more than one Kindle, that can be a pain in the neck because, for example, my wife and children generally have different tastes in books - I don't want her books cluttering up my Kindle's screen and she feels the same way about mine. IT's not a deal killer, but it does make you wade through a lot of stuff. One note of caution – if you do a large download of your books from the Cloud to this new Kindle an indexing process will occur. That will chew up the battery as the Kindle indexes words / phrases in each title imported so you can search for it later. I haven’t downloaded all of my titles yet, but will do it right before I go to bed one night – with the Kindle connected to a charger so the battery won’t drain down real fast.

Opening up the box, included with the Kindle is a micro-USB cord but no power adapter. Also, if you like reading at night you will need a separate light or be reading in a well-lit room as there is not a built-in backlight like the Kindle Paperwhite.

Despite some of my nits above, as a parent whose children can be hard on electronics I like this version, and think with this $79 price point it will help to continue to explode the eBook revolution even faster as they get in more people's hands. If you have not purchased a Kindle before due to price, need a cheaper replacement than the other versions, or maybe a relative or a friend has hesitated to get one this one is in your price zone, I would recommend this one!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2016 7:02 AM PDT

Last Stand: Patriots (Book 2)
Last Stand: Patriots (Book 2)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Continuation of the Series, July 6, 2016
Before you start this book, please note it is book #2 in a series: you need to have read Last Stand: Surviving America's Collapse, first or this one won’t make much sense to you. This installment continues right after the end of Book #2. If you enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, this series so far is a pretty good read. Rather than a virus or nuclear event, this one focuses in on an EMP event that follows a man and his family as they try to survive the ensuring chaos and tyranny. The author does a good job of describing the events and making you feel as you are living along with the characters and really makes you think in terms of “what would you do?” if you were caught in a similar situation.

While some of the situations in this novel were similar to other post-apocalyptic novels I have read, to me it was very believable and continues an enjoyable tale: I wouldn’t mind seeing how things shape up in book 3 of the series.

I originally picked this up for free using my Kindle Unlimited borrow vs. its normal price of $3.99, and I certainly got more than $3.99 worth of entertainment value out of it. If you enjoyed the first book in the series, I would recommend reading this one for a continuation of the story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20