Profile for Michael Gallagher > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Out of the Black (Odyssey One, Book 4)
Out of the Black (Odyssey One, Book 4)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sci Fi Series, July 9, 2014
Before you pick up this book, please recognize it is a continuation of a series: you need to read the first book in the series titled Into the Black (Odyssey One, Book 1) [Remastered Edition](just click on the hyperlink on the book's name to be taken to the Kindle version of book one of the series).

Overall this is a good installment to the series but, without having a spoiler, it did seem to drag quite a bit and at the 35% mark on my Kindle I was questioning if I wanted to continue reading it because it was just one agonizingly slow land-based battle with foot soldiers vs. anything really resembling science fiction or the previous installments of the series. However, I'm glad I stayed with it as the action slowly picked up steam and then really accelerated to a nice ending. An ending which, despite what we thought when reading this was supposed to be the conclusion, leads you to believe there will be a continuation of the saga.

Despite my comments above regarding the first part of the book being really slow, if you enjoyed the series so far you should like this latest installment. I did, and I'm looking forward to where the author's imagination takes us next.

National Geographic Kids Almanac 2014 (National Geographic Kids Almanac (Quality))
by National Geographic Kids
Price: $11.02
53 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Entertaining, June 24, 2014
This kids almanac has a lot of good information in it, as well as great pictures / charts, that sparks the imagination and thoughts of my middle schooler. While not all-encompassing in terms of the level of knowledge delivered, it has led to further (unprompted) research and exploring – which is always better than sitting in front of a TV.

If you’re looking for something that both entertains and educates, I would recommend this one.

Bye Bye Barack President Obama Countdown Timer Clock to Last Day in Office
Bye Bye Barack President Obama Countdown Timer Clock to Last Day in Office
Offered by Holiday Express
Price: $11.25
9 used & new from $7.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Gag Gift, June 24, 2014
This is one heck of a gag gift that sparks a lot of conversation from the “for” and “against” side. Note the batteries are a pain in the neck to get in there – it needs a lot of maneuvering. While certainly a little pricey, it’s worth it in terms of conversational value. Once this countdown is complete, you can peel the Obama sticker off and start your own countdown – just be sure to save the instructions!

Atlas Waterproof Case for Kindle Paperwhite by Incipio, Black
Atlas Waterproof Case for Kindle Paperwhite by Incipio, Black
Price: $69.99
21 used & new from $53.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Outdoors, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To start off it does keep your Paperwhite dry and I did the ultimate test – after securing my Paperwhite in the case, and made triple sure I thought it was closed securely – I put it in about six inches of water in the bathtub and walked away for two hours. Upon my return, the Paperwhite was still dry.

I’ve used this outside by a lake quite a bit over the past few weekends without any issues: turning pages and tapping the menu is easy, and there isn’t a problem with a glare / reflection like I thought there would be.

At $70 this does seem a little pricey to me – almost as much as a new Paperwhite – but if you are outdoors near water, or I imagine a beach with a lot of sand, I would recommend this to protect your investment.

D-Link Wireless AC750 Mbps Compact Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1520)
D-Link Wireless AC750 Mbps Compact Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1520)
Price: Click here to see our price
51 used & new from $48.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setup of this unit was fairly easy with the included instructions – it took about ten minutes to do – about five more than necessary but I had to walk up and down the stairs a few times. Where I previously had a dead spot upstairs, I now have a fairly solid Internet connection and I haven’t noticed any slowness in data transfer from emails back-and-forth to streaming videos. I also have full coverage in my backyard.

If you are looking for an easy to setup extender for your Wi-Fi connection, having to go through the trouble of setting up dual routers for your home network, I would recommend this one.

Force Majeure: 6 Disaster Thrillers
Force Majeure: 6 Disaster Thrillers
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Filled with Thrillers from Best-Selling Authors, June 8, 2014
For just 99 cents, you get six books by best-selling authors that know how to tell a tale and keep you on the edge of your seat – as well as entertain you for the equivalent of six cents per hour.

Take Toni Dwiggins’ book, Volcano Watch, which is included in this box set. This was my first Tony Dwiggins book to read, and I look forward to reading more from her. She spins a pretty tight tale filled with a lot of research that doesn't bore you to tears, gets you into the heart and mind of the main character, and has you feel real emotion as the characters lose their loved ones and their possessions. What I really liked was the hard left turn she took on the "whodunit" aspect of the book, as it was not something you can typically figure out as in other books about halfway through.

As I type this review the price for Volcano Watch on an individual basis is $2.99 - it is well worth $2.99 and very entertaining – but seeing as how you can get Volcano Watch plus the others for just 99 cents, it’s a no-brainer if you enjoy a good mystery / thriller.

Andro12C financial calculator
Andro12C financial calculator
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $5.70

5.0 out of 5 stars No Difference in the HP Version - Great Value, June 8, 2014
If you have used an HP 12c, you won’t be disappointed with this app – all of the functions are there, there are no new keystroke patterns to learn as they are the exact same as they are on the HP, and the look and feel is an exact duplicate. Now you can just carry around your Android device or Kindle Fire vs. yet another gadget in your 12c (I know you carry it in your pocket or your man bag).

There really aren’t any annoying network permissions or access as this developer got it right – it’s just a calculator and doesn’t need to access the network.

At $5.70 this app is a great deal vs. purchasing an HP calculator; as the free app of the day, it is an outstanding value and I highly recommend you get it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 8:18 AM PDT

Iams ProActive Health Adult Mini Chunks Premium Dog Nutrition Food, 15-Pound
Iams ProActive Health Adult Mini Chunks Premium Dog Nutrition Food, 15-Pound
Price: $23.99
13 used & new from $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog Loves It, May 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My little dog (14 pounds) seems to get more picky with age (over 7) with his dog food. I've tried different ones over the past year, and my expectations weren't too high with this one before I gave it to him. After a week, he's still going strong and appears to like it (i.e., he's eating it without that turned up nose look), so it would appear we've found a new food for him to continue with once this bag is empty.

Midland ER300 Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM FM Digital NOAA Weather Radio with Cree LED Flashlight and USB Charger Output
Price: $66.99
47 used & new from $59.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Emergency Backup, May 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Something like this should be standard for every house in a hurricane zone. Setup for this radio was pretty easy - in my case, the battery was already showing a charge. The instructions were well-written and clear, and in about one minute I had the correct time set and was scanning the FM radio dial with a good quality sound.

The hand crank was easy to turn, and you can power the battery by turning it clockwise or counter clockwise. The solar panel sits right on top, and sitting both in a corporate office with florescent lighting and in the afternoon outside it was indicating a charge of the battery.

The LED light is functional, but don't expect a super-bright light from it that can see across your backyard clearly at night: it worked fine inside a dark room, which is what you want and should expect for an emergency-type combination such as this unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2014 1:22 AM PDT

Tech Armor Apple iPad Air (Generation 5) High Defintion (HD) Clear Screen Protectors -- Maximum Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy [2Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $9.95
2 used & new from $6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job and Protects Your iPad, May 30, 2014
I used this for my work iPad Air with no problem; this will not work, according to the manufacturer, with the first or second generation iPad.

This cover does what it is supposed to do: it protects your iPad's screen - in my case it helps stop a lot of the smudgy fingerprints as I scroll along from typing or too many editions of Word Scramble, as well as my kid's fingerprints which seem to have collected everything they have touched during the day.

The instructions that come with the protector, if you can call it that, are not very helpful, so before you install it, let me point out a couple of things:

1. Clean your iPad's screen with the soft cloth that comes with the screen protector. DO NOT use water to assist you, but use a gentle wiping motion with the cloth from the middle to the outside. Why? You don't want to put the cover over a bunch of fingerprints or miniscule pieces of lint and have your fingerprints / lint memorialized on your iPad!

2. Make sure you use the straight-edge that comes with it, or a credit card, to help smooth out the bubbles. Take the time to get those small bubbles out now - it may take a couple of minutes - or otherwise you'll have bigger problems (and be looking for a new screen protector)

3. Be patient, line it up, and go slow! This cover doesn't have much wiggle-room to be slightly off - if you go just a fraction at an angle to one side, you will start covering the iPad's edge case vs. the screen. If that happens, slowly back it up and start again.

4. Use the straight-edge or a credit card slowly working from the inside / middle to the outside. Be patient, and be consistent or that small bubble will not go away or, worse, the small bubble will become a larger bubble.

Overall, this is not too bad and does what it is supposed to do, and I think you would rather have a screen protector vs. a scratched up iPad!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20