Profile for Michael Gallagher > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fall of the Core: Netcast Zero (The Frontiers Saga)
Fall of the Core: Netcast Zero (The Frontiers Saga)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a Sci Fi Serial, May 28, 2015
If you’ve read Ryk Brown’s Frontiers saga, I would recommend you pick this one up to see where the author’s imagination takes us as to the origins of the bio digital plague. On the other hand, if you enjoy serialized science fiction short stories, I’d also recommend you get this one as Brown is a good storyteller. This one has a lot more dialogue between the characters than he does in his novels, almost with a different tone.

This only took about an hour to read, and was worth the 99 cent purchase price to me – I’m interested to read the next installment to see where the story turns and twists.

Post-Human Series Books 1-4
Post-Human Series Books 1-4
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Series, May 28, 2015
I judge my science fiction based upon a modified version of the Baen criteria, and for this one I was looking at is the technology something I can understand, is the storyline plausible (especially in light of the technology), and was it an overall good read. I think Mr. Simpson hits it on those fronts, and he must have done a pretty good job as I have thought about these books for several times after reading it - considering the number of books I read on a monthly basis, that is impressive (to me, at least). Without having a spoiler, this one really focuses in on the technology of the future and doesn't have the shoot `em up aspects of humans vs. aliens that many people enjoy.

It does get strange about the last 15% of the third story in the series - it gets a little crazy and some of it is a big stretch of the imagination - and book 3 of the series is a little bit of a comedown from book 2 which I thought was very good.

I originally picked this up for free vs. its normal price of $2.99: if you are a science fiction fan, you will receive more than $2.99 in entertainment value and I think this is an overall good series despite my "last 15%" comment above.

Galactic Empire Wars: Rebellion (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 3)
Galactic Empire Wars: Rebellion (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 3)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Book #3 Made the Series Better, May 28, 2015
To begin, please realize this is the third book in the series - you need to start with book 1, B00JL5HU6W, or this one will not make too much sense to you.

Sometimes with series, the author loses focus and as a reader you wish you hadn't bothered to continue the saga. The author, however, kicks it up several notches with this installment of the series. Without having a spoiler, for once, rather than being reactionary against the bad guys the humans go on offense and punch the Kleese hard in the nose. The battle scenes are more involved and detailed and I spent most of a Saturday afternoon and night up late in order to finish it.

Similar to the other two books in the series, there are a few typos here and there in the Kindle version that are annoying and make you stop reading, and I would recommend a proofer of the Kindle version as well as the next installment.

I originally picked this up for $3.99: if you liked the first two books in the series, I would recommend this one as you will get a heck of a lot more in entertainment value than your $3.99 purchase price.

Now, to try to be patient as we wait for book #4!

Galactic Empire Wars: Emergence (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 2)
Galactic Empire Wars: Emergence (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 2)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Continuation of the Series, May 28, 2015
To begin, please realize this is the second book in the series - you need to start with book 1, Galactic Empire Wars: Destruction (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 1), or this one may not make too much sense to you.

The author does a good job of picking right back up where he left off with book one. I like science fiction with a futuristic military bent, especially if it involves future tech that I am able to wrap my head around conceptually and the author delivers on this front. The battle scenes are a little more involved and plotted between the good guys and the bad guys and I found myself staying up late in an effort to finish it.

Similar to the first book in the series, there are a few typos here and there in the Kindle version that are annoying and make you stop reading, and I would recommend a proofer of the Kindle version.

I originally picked this up for free with my one monthly borrow as an Amazon Prime member vs. its normal price of $3.99: if you liked the first book in the series, I would recommend this one as you will get a heck of a lot more in entertainment value than your $3.99 purchase price.

Galactic Empire Wars: Destruction (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 1)
Galactic Empire Wars: Destruction (The Galactic Empire Wars Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Military-Based Science Fiction, May 28, 2015
I like science fiction with a futuristic military bent, especially if it involves future tech that I am able to wrap my head around conceptually and the author delivers on this front. The battles between the good guys and the bad guys were good and not the over-the-top detail prevalent in many sci-fi stories and the action appeared to be just right.

There are a few typos here and there in the Kindle version that are annoying and make you stop, but it doesn’t bring down the series as this was one of those books after finishing it I went to the Kindle store to get the next book in the series.

I originally picked this up for just 99 cents during a Kindle promotion vs. its normal price of $2.99: if you like military-based science fiction, I would recommend this one as you will get a heck of a lot more in entertainment value than your $2.99 purchase price.

Portable USB Charger 13,000mAh - Mobile USB Charger for Phones and Tablets - Cell Phone Portable Charger Pack Includes Lipstick Size Power Bank - Black
Offered by Viivant
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable External Power in a Convenient Carry Size, May 19, 2015
I’ve tested and used a lot of external battery chargers, and this two combo pack is better than most. The larger pack will charge up my phone and tablet a couple of times when they are at 50% or less power –and have really helped me out in airports lately, and the smaller “lipstick” sized version is god for a quick pick me up to give you that extra boost as you are waiting to hop on the plane. The size of both are just the right size to fit in the individual pouches in my laptop bag, and I have carried the lipstick sized one in my pants pocket without a noticeable difference. If you are looking for a reliable and convenient portable power solution, I would recommend this two-pack external battery combination.

Please note I was provided a free sample of this product in return for an honest review.

Barbecue Grill Light - Handle-Mount Grill Light - Smoker Grill Light - Outdoor Grills - Barbecue Tools Grill Accessories- Best Selling- The Perfect Barbecue & Grill Tool - Barbecue - Barbecue Gifts - Barbecue Accessories - BBQ Tools - Brigmon Grill Light
Offered by Walsh Fellowes
Price: $50.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brightens the Cooking Surface, May 19, 2015
The light clips easily to your grill, and provides a bright and even light as you are cooking in the dark over a smaller grill. I’ve used the light in pitch black as well as a sunset-type setting, and each time it helped out for me to make sure things weren’t cooked too well or not enough. For just $18 here on Amazon, if you’re doing a lot of grilling at dusk or in the dark you can’t go wrong with this one as it will save you time and money with less under or over-cooked food.

P.KU.VDSL® CANVAS UNISEX BACKPACK RUCKSACK SCHOOL HIKING MOUNTAINEERING BACKPACK RETRO BACKPACK (Coffee)
Offered by VanDeSaiL
Price: $62.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Quality Vintage-Looking Backpack, May 19, 2015
This is a nice, quality backpack that has lots of pockets and pouches in a variety of sizes not only for the larger items but for small things like your cell phone, water bottles, change, you name it. It’s also light weight but durable, and with the rucksack-like material you can also not worry about it showing up the inevitable scratches and stains that come with time of use. The leather and larger-type zippers make it appear as a vintage backpack that looks neat. At $45 here on Amazon, you’re getting a quality bag that I would recommend for kids at school as well as older farts like me who use them while traveling.

Reiie Merc Wireless Activity Tracker Sleep Monitor Calories Counter (Black)
Reiie Merc Wireless Activity Tracker Sleep Monitor Calories Counter (Black)
Offered by Better quality
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Accurate, May 18, 2015
In summary, this is basically a pedometer – not much more. I put this side-by-side with my FitBit, and this pedometer recorded 16% more steps than the FitBit did after using it for a week. While that may make me feel better about myself thinking I was getting a lot more steps in, when I would do a sample of 50 steps the FitBit measured 50 and this pedometer registered 63. The next test registered 67 and the third test registered 58. Not a good track record.

For $30 here on Amazon, you can buy several pedometers that do the same thing. Spend a little more, and you can get a reliable tracker. I would give this one a pass.

#1 Professional Nail Clipper/Cutter Set For Perfect Fingernails & Toenails - Premium Quality, Stainless Steel, Large & Small Nail Clippers For Men, Women, Baby, Children & Seniors - Best Value Pack of 2
Offered by D & M Innovation
Price: $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Job and Extremely Sharp, May 18, 2015
It’s hard to get excited about nail clippers, but I will tell you these are great – the right balance and feel, and you are able to get maximum leverage without much “oomph” and they are extremely sharp. They are also not too heavy and do the job well without leaving things ragged (if you have used a bad set of clippers, you know what I mean). I’ve since thrown away my previous pair of clippers in favor of this one and, at $17 for the pair here on Amazon they are worth it to me. If you’re looking for a new set of clippers, I would recommend this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20