Profile for Michael Gallagher > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Powerextra™ High Capacity 3.5Ah Battery for Irobot Roomba 500 510 530 532 535 540 545 550 552 560 562 570 580 581 582 585 595 600 620 630 650 660 700 760 770 780 790 R3 80501
Offered by WONDERSHOP
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Installation, October 30, 2014
This replacement battery is really easy to install - turn the Roomba upside down, remove the four main screws holding the base and remove the screw holding the sweeper brush in place. Take the base off, pull out the old battery and pop in the new. Replace everything you did in the same exact order - including the time to locate a smaller Phillips head screwdriver and put it back up, it took me less than five minutes. You do need to charge the new battery up overnight before you use the Roomba. Once it has recharged, you're back to an almost new machine in terms of run time.

Multi-Voltage Charger Power Pack for Devices
Multi-Voltage Charger Power Pack for Devices

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performance and No Decreased Performance After Several Months of Use, October 30, 2014
This is a fairly large and heavier battery charging pack in comparison to two others I own. At 12000 mAh it does pack a lot of juice to help you get over the hump with a phone and / or a tablet, and after using this pack for multiple business trips over the past four months it has saved various telephone conversations or helped my 8.9” Kindle Fire keep on going while watching a movie on a flight. I’ve never drained this battery pack to nothing – after using it in the late afternoon or at night I always plug it back in to recharge overnight in anticipation of the next day’s travel. The most I have tried to recharge before plugging it back in for a refill is three times with my Motorola Droid phone and filling my Fire back up from approximately 30% to 100%.

The battery pack has a unique plug / cord combination that allows you to use its own cable to either charge your device or recharge the unit. Recharging a device such as my phone appears to go faster if you use the included cable vs. using your own. While recharging the battery pack, the unique packaging is curved and made of a material that does not conduct heat like similar chargers.

To tell how much juice is left in the pack is pretty simple – shake it a couple of times and look at the LED indicator. You do, however, have to give it a firm shake to get it to register.

If the power pack is fully drained, the manufacturer’s included instructions say it will take 7 hours to recharge start to finish. That’s a little misleading as it will depend on the output of the power adaptor you are suing to recharge it. My experience after several months of use show if the remaining level is one out of the four LED power indicator bars, it will take a little over six hours to recharge. How much longer than six I don’t know as I went to bed after those six hours and it was indicating “full” after I woke up.

About the only improvement / downside I can think of is with a power pack of this size, I wish you could charge more than one item at a time.

Overall, this battery pack has provided good performance for me for several months, and if you travel a lot that’s what I want.

I received a sample of this item from the manufacturer in return for a fair and honest review.

The Eden Plague (Plague Wars Series Book 0)
The Eden Plague (Plague Wars Series Book 0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Thriller, October 30, 2014
I'm not really sure how to classify this novel: post-apocalyptic, thriller, or science fiction as it has elements of all three genres. The author does a good job of getting you into the heads of his characters and describes the scenes and events well and make you feel as if you are right there in the middle of the action. You also have some Walter Mitty type moments where you think "what if" you had some radically different potion (or is it a plague?) that could cure all diseases and what might have been - or could be - if such a thing were possible.

The author sets the stage for a sequel and I am ready to start book #2 in the series. I originally picked this up for free vs. its normal Kindle price of 99 cents - I certainly received a lot more than 99 cents worth of entertainment value out of this one. If you enjoy a good thriller with a little bit of a science fiction twist, I'd recommend it.

Slabscape : Reset
Slabscape : Reset
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Comedy, October 29, 2014
This review is from: Slabscape : Reset (Kindle Edition)
This one is a little different – it started off slow and a little jerky as I (and the main character in the story) tried to figure out what was really going on; I almost stopped reading it at the 10% mark on my Kindle but I’m glad I stuck with it as it really picked up and became entertaining. Without having a spoiler, science fiction is really just a cover to a world of dry humor and comedy that will not only have you laughing out loud but also thinking about the possibilities and dangers associated with possible implants.

Sincerely Dead: An Elise Sandburg Short Story
Sincerely Dead: An Elise Sandburg Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, October 24, 2014
This short story takes about five minutes to read on your Kindle, and is perfect for your lunch break at work and is very similar to some of the pulp fiction short stories that used to appear in magazines years ago. Without having a spoiler, the ending was a little different in a good way and the author quickly made you feel as if you were right there in the story.

A New York Tale (Sampler) (DS Swift Novels Book 1)
A New York Tale (Sampler) (DS Swift Novels Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Short Story, October 24, 2014
This short story takes about five minutes to read on your Kindle, and is perfect for your lunch break at work. The author weaves together a bit of science fiction with a thriller, but I will caution you it is nothing like the description here on Amazon – this is about an almost sentient robot involved with an underworld murder scene. This one was pretty interesting, and I could see this particular storyline being the basis for a full-length science fiction novel.

Until Death (A Kindle Short Short)
Until Death (A Kindle Short Short)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quick-Hit Short Story Will Make You Chuckle, October 24, 2014
This is just a quick, couple of minute read that quickly entertains you, and the author clearly has a sense of humor and had me chuckling. I picked this one up for free during a Kindle promotion vs. its regular price of 99 cents – if you like quick-hit short stories or something to fill in a couple of minute break, I would recommend you pick this one up when it is available for free.

BUFFALO Anti-Glare Screen Protector Kit for Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (will only fit Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"), 2 pack
Price: $18.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be Renamed "Kindle Bubble Enhancer", October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the years, I have applied many screen protectors to both the e-Ink version of Kindle and the Fire. While most of the experiences have been favorable, and some of them not-so-good, I will have to say this is one of the worst experiences I have had with a screen protector.

Part of the dissatisfaction comes from the fact the product is poorly packaged: the two screen protectors are in-between a folded and very thin piece of cardboard that gets damaged and bent during shipping. If the screen protector's packaging gets damaged and / or bent during shipping, the screen protector could possibly get damaged or bent during shipping. In my case, one of the two protectors in the shipment is worthless. While that is not a reflection on the screen protector itself, if you're going to shell out almost twenty bucks for two screen protectors you should be able to safely receive two screen protectors.

With just one shot to get it right, I lined everything up just right on my new 8.9" Fire HDX. The included instructions are in English, Japanese, and Chinese, but the corresponding positions they refer to for the peeling sequence are in what I assumed to be Japanese on the label. That's a problem as I don't speak or read Japanese, but I was able to figure what went where.

Most screen protector packages come with a cleaning cloth (as you don't want to apply a screen protector over dust or existing smudges), but this one did not; before applying any screen protector you need to clean the screen. Most screen protector packages also come with a straight-edge so you can smooth out the bubbles but this one did not have one, either. Despite my best efforts, and about 15 minutes of pushing with a straight edge, there are four bubbles right in the middle of the reading screen that just won't go away. That makes this screen protector worthless as the bubbles are very distracting. Seeing as how the second one arrived D.O.A., I'm out of luck. Granted, all of these issues may be a function of bad product packaging that makes their product defective due to the bends mentioned above.

To add insult to injury, while the product description says it has "fingerprint resistant coating to enhance experience) there are already fingerprint smudges that took a little extra "oomph" to remove with a cloth I use for cleaning glasses.

With the pain in the neck with the above, there has to be a better product or else everyone will be wasting $20 on this version. I would avoid this one and try to find another brand.

TORNADO ENERGY Active, 16 Ounce (Pack of 24)
TORNADO ENERGY Active, 16 Ounce (Pack of 24)
Price: $44.86

3.0 out of 5 stars High-Priced Mountain Dew, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This energy drink has a good, but very sweet, taste (sugar is the #2 ingredient) similar to a Mountain Dew that has 260 calories per bottle. I also passed around samples in a cup to four people in the office to get their opinion and 3 of the 4 liked it. The consensus opinion from everyone was it tasted good but we would highly recommend a change in the color because it really looks like #1 (I can’t type the exact word in the review or it would be banned by Amazon).

Despite having a good taste, this stuff is more expensive than beer at $44 per case as well as your favorite brand of soft drink. At almost $2 per bottle, plus shipping from Amazon, we all agreed to give this one a pass.

Fire HDX 8.9, 8.9" HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers
Fire HDX 8.9, 8.9" HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers
Price: $379.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Tablet and Excellent Video / Screen Display, October 22, 2014
I'm writing this review with the benefit of being an experienced Kindle Fire user vs. someone brand new to the Kindle family. In summary, you are getting a great deal on a tablet computer - especially if you compare it to the $500 or more you can spend on a Wi-Fi version of iPad. Overall, if you consider the price and the functionality I think this is a great tool / toy if you watch a lot of video or play a lot of games on your device: the video quality is outstanding. If you are a first-time large-screen tablet buyer, where price vs. value is a key consideration in comparison to more expensive versions, I'd recommend it. If you're comparing last year's HDX model to this version and it is operating fine, I'd say save your money and continue to get your money's worth out of that one.

My review below compares a lot of the features of this version of the Fire HDX to last year's Fire HDX but also some of the features for a first-time user.

Consistent with my experience with setup of previous models of the Fire, setup took a while: despite being a brand new product, the Fire attempted to download and install several operating software updates. You just need to be patient while it downloads and installs.

Screen Display / Video Playback:

This version of the Fire has the best screen display of any previous model of Fire and looking at the technical specs Amazon made some major changes in the display / resolution, and the picture appears more crisp in a side-by-side comparison to last year’s HDX version and my iPad Air (yes, the Kindle guy uses an iPad for work): I compared the viewing experience watching an episode of The Lost Ship. The display on this Fire was one heck of a lot better in terms of sharpness than last year's model as well as the iPad, and is the #1 selling feature (to me) for this model. That may be a combination of some better technology as well as a new vs. year-old screen.

Wi-Fi Connectivity:

After the final operating software update I mentioned above, it was fairly easy to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. My standard test for trying out new gadgets is to see how fast they run side-by-side with a known piece of equipment doing the same test at the best place of Wi-Fi in my house and the worst place where it drags. In this comparison, I had this version of the HDX sitting next to the last two year’s versions of the HDX, this year’s 7” Fire tablet, and my iPad Air, all just using a Wi-Fi connection vs. cellular connectivity.

My "normal" website test is to hit the mobile websites of FoxNews, CNN, my personalized Yahoo page, Google, and the Houston Chronicle. The ones that were usually slow on the other devices were just as slow, and for the other sites I couldn't tell a difference in speed in comparison to this model.

Sound / Music Playback:

The two speakers are located in the back of the HDX in two not-noticeable ports: both of them are on the right (or maybe it's on the top, depending upon your screen orientation) side of the Kindle. My test of this feature was cranking up Van Halen's Panama to maximum volume (I always want to see if it could really play the guitar licks), and I would alternate covering one speaker up over the other: you have true stereo sound with no degradation of the sound that makes you think you are about to blow the speaker. The Dolby speakers sound really nice and you can really crank up the volume in comparison to previous versions of the Fire: you do get to hear the bass if you install and use an Equalizer app and adjust until it sounds "just right" to you. Mixing the sound with an equalizer app, and using good headphones, is really the way I want to listen to music on the Fire as you not only have a better sound experience but you're also not disturbing others in the room. The X-ray feature is pretty neat as it displays the lyrics on the screen if you are so inclined; if you are not, it is as simple as the tap of an icon to make the lyric feature go away.

Email Setup:

Consistent with previous versions of the Fire, email setup was very easy for my main Gmail account with the software came with the Fire. Amazon has some good enhancements to their email product, so I did not have to install the third-party email app I used on previous versions of the Fire and am happy with Amazon's email client.

New Tabs and Screen Layout:

In addition to the normal tabs Amazon has continued to make tweaks with the look and feel to the overall display such as more things to scroll through to find what you are looking for in an easier manner. Consistent with my experiences with previous versions of the Fire, I purchased the one with special offers and I don't feel overwhelmed with ads. In fact, I don't even notice them.

Reading Books:

Turning pages is pretty darn easy - just tap the side of the screen to go to the next page or back a page, or you can swipe your finger across the screen to do the same. You do have the feature to see the book's description for books on your device like they have with the e-Ink Kindle which is a plus as I can't remember what each book in my digital to-be-read pile is about. You can see previous categories and collections you may have setup on an e-Ink version of the Kindle for your books stored in the Cloud; while that is nice and has been a much-requested feature by Fire owners for years, either that feature is not available with books stored on your device or I’m just not smart enough to figure it out.

Camera:

There are cameras on this model - one facing the back and one facing the front or toward the user / reader. Focusing and taking a picture is pretty easy, and Amazon will by default store your pictures in the Cloud. I'm not much of a picture-taker with my tablet, so I can't really comment on the quality. The icon to turn the camera on is easy to tap as I did accidentally turn it on while carrying the HDX down the stairs last night and snapped a photo of my shoes so watch out for stray taps!

Charger:

Unlike previous models of the Fire, this one DOES include a charger! If you're scratching your head with that comment, in previous models you had to purchase a charger separately for $20 which always seemed kind of silly for Amazon to do.

Other Random Stuff:

One of the setup features in the menu is the ability to turn on a location-based service as well as a find-your-Fire feature in case you misplace it. I also like the location-based GPS feature turned on periodically so I can get a weather update on whatever city I may be traveling in for a particular day – but the paranoid side of me turns it off when I’m not specifically using it.

If you've never owned a larger tablet before, or are looking to upgrade from an earlier model Fire, I would recommend this one if video and apps are your thing - but make sure you purchase the higher memory one vs. the minimum 16 GB if you can afford the extra dollars as you will see better performance. If you're comparing last year's HDX model to this version and it is operating fine, I'd say save your money and continue to get your money's worth out of it. I purchased the one with 64 GB as I wanted the better performance as it is my traveling companion. Kids will love it as they can read books, play games, watch TV and movies, and a whole lot of other things. Adults should like it for the exact same reasons, but while I try to minimize the amount of work-related stuff I do at home with the business apps that are available here in the Amazon App store and other places around the Internet I can also work on Excel and Word-compatible files when I have to without having to fire up my work laptop or whatever the case may be.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 5:09 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20