ARRAY(0xa32fd660)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Silo Saga: Silo 7 - The Complete Collection (Kindle Worlds Novella)
Silo Saga: Silo 7 - The Complete Collection (Kindle Worlds Novella)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Offshoot to the Wool Series, April 8, 2014
This was a fairly quick read. There are many derivatives to the Wool series, and I was a little apprehensive picking this one up as I’ve read various pieces of fan fiction of other series that really weren’t up to par; without having a spoiler, this was an exception as it complements the series and gives you a different perspective and “what if” to the entire series. The ending leaves you hanging a bit with the hopes / expectation of a continuation of the story: I’d like to see where the author’s imagination takes you next.

Silo Saga: Silo 42: Deception (Kindle Worlds Novella)
Silo Saga: Silo 42: Deception (Kindle Worlds Novella)
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Offshoot of the Wool Series, April 8, 2014
This was a fairly quick read. There are many derivatives to the Wool series, and I was a little apprehensive picking this one up as I’ve read various pieces of fan fiction of other series that really weren’t up to par; without having a spoiler, this was an exception as it complements the series and gives you a different perspective and “what if” to the entire series. If you’re a fan of the Wool series, I would recommend you reading this one as it was enjoyable – if you haven’t read Hugh Howey’s Wool series, read that first but come back to this one.

Tracker: A Short Story Exclusive (Sigma Force Novels)
Tracker: A Short Story Exclusive (Sigma Force Novels)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Short Story and Price is Right, April 8, 2014
This is a compelling short story / novella that takes about an hour or less to read – the author does a great job of quickly getting you into the head of his main character and the environment in Budapest, and makes you feel as if you are right there in the middle of the Royal Castle District at the beginning of the story. There were times I felt my pulse racing as the action heated up, and it ended with me wanting to read more by Mr. Rollins.

I picked this up for free in the Amazon Kindle store – grab this one while you can as you’ll certainly get a couple of bucks worth of entertainment out of this one.

Missing You
Missing You
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable But Hard to Get Into the Story, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Missing You (Kindle Edition)
This is a classic Coben mystery / thriller with usual bad thing happening, the main character filled with life regrets, an element of danger, and what I enjoy most about Coben’s novels the hard right turn at the end with the ending – just when you think you have it all figured out there is a new twist at the end. This one was a little different as the ending made you feel like there was a slight potential for some kind of sequel – or you could say he left you hanging at the end.

While this one was enjoyable, it was a harder read than some of his recent non-Myron Bolitar series offerings as it took me until about the 45% mark on my Kindle to really get into the story: previous standalone novels had me hooked from the beginning and I would often stay up half the night in order to finish in one day; that was not the case with this one as it kind of plodded along before kicking it up a notch as he usually does.

If you’re a big Coben fan like I am you’re going to pick this up no matter the cost and my Kindle purchase price of $12.99 may seem a little pricey – if not, I’d wait until the price drops below $10 (and it will eventually drop).

Advanced Calculator
Advanced Calculator
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Calculator with Large Number / Function Icons, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Advanced Calculator (App)
This is a basic calculator with the usual add, subtract, multiply, and divide; if you tap the “ADV” icon you will also have some higher-level functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, pi, and square root. While there are lots of other calculator apps that have the same functionality, what sets this one apart from others I have tried is the number / function icons are HUGE and really help out with avoiding some of the touch-type mistakes I always seem to make on a keyboard.

About the only negative I can think of is the app permissions want to have access to the network – that doesn’t make sense as you don’t need a network to do basic math. Interestingly, the app ran fine with all of my network settings turned off on my 8.9” Fire.

I picked this up for free as a free app of the day vs. its normal price of 99 cents. If you’re looking for a basic calculator for your Fire (or other device) that has large number / function icons, I would recommend this one.

Eufloria HD
Eufloria HD
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining Game, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Eufloria HD (App)
This game started off as difficult to play as the instructions leave a lot to be desired – I came really close to deleting it out of frustration, but then a lightbulb went off for me with what I think the developers would have put in an instruction manual: from there it has been fun to play. I’ve found I have spent several hours playing this – an hour at a time – as you move from one level to another. The concept is pretty basic – grow your own aliens in space on a planet / asteroid and then try to take over another populated planet.

If you turn the full graphics package on (you can adjust it), the graphics are pretty detailed; I leave it on as minimal as possible as this game is a huge drain on your Kindle Fire battery: after about an hour and a half of play (I know, it sounds like I have a problem), starting with a full battery with the 8.9” HDX you will be down to about 10% power.

I originally picked this up for free as a free app of the day vs. its normal price of $4.99; despite my discussion of the instructions in the first paragraph, I will say I’ve received a heck of a lot more entertainment value out of this and would recommend it.

9 More Killer Thrillers
9 More Killer Thrillers
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value and Full of Action, March 20, 2014
For 99 cents, this nine book collection can't be beat - I individually purchased and read both Russell Blake's and Michael Wallace's books contained in this collection for $3.99 each, and I received a heck of a lot more value than that for each book, and would individually rate both books a strong 4 out of 5 stars.

Taking Blake's book, for example, he does a great job of getting you into the head of his characters - both the good guy and bad guy - and draws you in so that you really feel like you are part of the action: your pulse literally races during the action scenes. Wallace is very similar in his writing and you will stay up really late reading it.

If you enjoy a good thriller / mystery, I highly recommend you jump on this deal while it is priced at 99 cents. Even if the pricing were raised significantly, you're receiving 9 quality books from very entertaining writers!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 5:27 PM PDT

Tea Tree Therapy Tea Tree Oil Bar Soap 3.5 oz Body Care
Tea Tree Therapy Tea Tree Oil Bar Soap 3.5 oz Body Care
Offered by LivWell Rx
Price: $5.50
58 used & new from $1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Soap Without an Overpowering Smell, March 18, 2014
I initially thought this was going to be some perfume-heavy soap catering to women - I was wrong. While you do smell the lavender, it is not overpowering and the vegetable-based soap does feel good on your skin. While many people may balk at the higher price in comparison to the bars of soap you can purchase at say a Wal-Mart, I will say these bars are much thicker / dense / compacted more than what you are used to and aren't filled with as much fluff as the national brands.

Why is that important? I'm not talking about the size of the bar, but the density / composition of the soap as it lasts a heck of a long time. Despite the price per bar I think the long-term value of price per shower, plus the way it makes your skin feel good, are well worth it and recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 11:31 AM PDT

Ark Royal
Ark Royal
Price: $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed This One, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
This is a pretty good start to a space opera where you have a misfit crew, an old / aging ship facing almost impossible odds against an alien race bent on the destruction of the humans. In comparison to similar tales, the author does a good job of getting you into the heads of his characters and doesn’t try to overwhelm you with his idea of future technology: it’s something you can easily get your arms around and believe and drive on with the story. I really enjoyed this one and stayed up late one night in order to finish it.

I read this on my Kindle for free via my one monthly borrow via my Prime membership vs. its normal price of $3.00: if you enjoy a good science fiction tale, you will certainly get more than $3.00 worth of entertainment value. Here’s to hoping there is a sequel.

indigo Fresh Dental Sticks, Medium
indigo Fresh Dental Sticks, Medium
Price: $16.99
22 used & new from $11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog Loves It - Much Better than a Greenie, March 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The dog really seems to enjoy these and gets even more excited when I grab this bag (and he gets a whiff before I give it to him) for what I call a necessity and he would bark out as a treat. I have a small dog (about 13 pounds), and due to the size of the medium treat I break these in half which stretches the life of the bag out a bit.

It takes him a while to chew through these in comparison to a Greenie – that’s a good thing, as it really makes him work it on his teeth and doing the job of cleaning. It does seem strange to have a dog come up to you with a minty-smell to his breath but who cares: he likes it and it cleans his teeth. At $17 per bag it may seem pricey – and it is – but when you break them in half like I am, combined with how it appears to do a much better job than a Greenie, it beats a potentially expensive doggie dental procedure and I (as well as my dog) would recommend them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20