Profile for Michael Gallagher > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Gallagher RSS Feed (Houston, TX)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LP®[Apple MFi Certified] Lightning to USB Cable 3.3ft/1M with Ultra-Compact Connector for iPhone 6 6Plus 5s 5c 5,iPad Air mini,iPad 4G,iPod touch 5G,iPod nano 7G Color Pink
Offered by Uwin
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Color Choices Differentiates This One, April 20, 2015
On the surface, you may just think this is just another replacement cable for your iPhone; in a way it is. What sets it apart to me and the rest of my family is the bright hot pink which makes it distinguishable from the other recharging cords you may have in your house for everyone’s devices: if your house is like mine you have iPods, several generations of different iPhones, a Fire, an iPad and more – and each of them seems to have a different charging tip. Being hot pink quickly identifies which cords goes to what and for which family member.

For $8.99 here on Amazon, this one is a comparable deal in terms of price – the color differentiation from a standard black differentiates this one.

Please note I was provided a free sample of this product in return for an honest review.

LP 24W/4.8A 2-Port Rapid USB Car Charger Portable Travel Charger Packed with [Apple MFi Certified] 3.3 Ft/1M LP Lightning Cable for Charging in Car Color Black
Offered by Uwin
Price: $35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Charger Does the Job, April 20, 2015
I’ve been using this for a couple of weeks now and I wish I would have had one of these a year earlier – the 12 watts per port really helps out in giving your power-hungry smartphone and tablet a charge, and does it rather quickly, also, vs. the 5 watt cords that come with phones these days. I am able to rapidly charge my phone and Kindle Fire simultaneously significantly faster than it would take with the home wall charger: I don’t know if it was exactly half the time as I didn’t time it, but it was a significant difference in time.

It does come with a 3 foot recharging cord for Apple products which is handy if you have an Apple product. For $18 here on Amazon, looking at it from a power to $$ cost standpoint for both the car charger and a replacement charging cable, this one is a pretty good deal.

Arespark® Bluetooth 3.0 speaker Wireless Outdoor Portable Speakerphone with Built-in Mic, Ideal for Home, Office, Sports & Biking Use (Blue)
Offered by Rixow Official
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at Low Volumes, April 20, 2015
This is a compact design Bluetooth speaker that has a low profile on your countertop or desk.

At fairly low volumes, the sound quality is good but as you start increasing the volume the sound really degrades as there is a lack of bass and an abundance of treble. Listening to music as it streamed through my Kindle Fire, I was able to mitigate some of the high treble hiss slightly by using an equalizer app, but when you are starting to have a loss of hearing like I am you have to turn the volume up and that causes problems for this speaker.

You also need to have your speaker fairly close to the streaming device: once you get about five feet from it you start losing connectivity and after 15 feet it has a real hard time connecting. I initially thought this might be a problem with the Fire I was using to play the music but it did the same thing streaming via Bluetooth with my phone.

For $29.99 (the price of this speaker at the time I am writing this review), this is just ok: great if you want low background music while puttering around your office, not so good if you want to really hear the lyrics and guitars.

Young For A Long Time
Young For A Long Time
Price: $13.99
25 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Drive Time Album, April 14, 2015
This review is from: Young For A Long Time (Audio CD)
It’s been a long time since an album was released by Little Texas. I’ve listened to this one several times already and with its guitars, melodies, and lyrics it’s one of those CD’s you can put in the car and drive for a while tapping along on the steering wheel or catching your right hand air guitar strumming along.

The majority of the songs will remind you of moments in your life whether it be the people, situations, or snapshots in time as, for example, the single “Kings of This Town” reminds me of good times hanging out at a high school friend’s cabin off of the Sabine River in Northeast Texas. The single “Nothin You Can Do” has the traditional LT harmonies that make you want to hit the rewind button and sing along: if today’s radio execs would give this one a chance, I could see it having LT return to the charts.

The last two tracks are reissues of the LT staples of “What might Have Been” and “God Blessed Texas’ with a couple of minor arrangement changes that are nice. Traditional LT fans may be hesitant to purchase this album because after the reunion of the band neither Tim nor Brady are associated with the group – I wouldn’t let that bother you because if you enjoy listening to great musicians with tunes you can hit the highway with or enjoy your favorite outdoor activity, I’d say give this one a shot.

Infiniti Pro by Conair 1 Inch  Titanium Sonic Vibrating Flat Iron
Infiniti Pro by Conair 1 Inch Titanium Sonic Vibrating Flat Iron
Price: $29.98
22 used & new from $29.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter Loves It, April 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My teenage daughter raves about this flatiron – from the very fast heat up time, she hasn’t burned herself once, and how much easier and faster it is than the flatiron it is replacing. We’re impressed with how much easier it is as well as the time savings.

The Stranger
The Stranger
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Slow at the Start But the Pace Picks Up, April 12, 2015
This review is from: The Stranger (Kindle Edition)
This is a classic Coben mystery / thriller with usual strange thing happening, the main character filled with self-doubt, an element of danger, and what I enjoy most about Coben’s novels the hard right turn at the end with the ending – just when you think you have it all figured out there is a new twist at the end.

While this one was enjoyable, it was a harder read than some of his recent non-Myron Bolitar series offerings as it took me until about the 30% mark on my Kindle to really get into the story: previous standalone novels had me hooked from the beginning and I would often stay up half the night in order to finish in one day; that was not the case with this one as it kind of plodded along before kicking it up a notch as he usually does.

If you’re a big Coben fan like I am you’re going to pick this up no matter the cost and my Kindle purchase price of $10.99 may seem a little pricey – seeing as how the price has already dropped to $8.97, I’m a little bummed but I’d recommend you grab it now!

Ep.#13 - "A Show of Force" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#13 - "A Show of Force" (The Frontiers Saga)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Installment of the Series, April 6, 2015
Before you start this book, please realize it is #13 in a series: if you haven't read the other books in the series in order, this one will make no sense to you.

This installment is a major pickup in the action and pace of the last novel, which is significant as episode #12 really stepped it up a few notches. The Alliance takes the fight directly to the Jung, Casimar is fighting a civil war, and you have non-stop action from the first chapter to the end. Similar to other episodes in this series, I also appreciate how the advances in future technologies aren't described over your head, and you can get your arms around it and understand it.

As usual, and without having a spoiler, there was yet another cliffhanger ending but it was something I didn’t see coming and I think this is one of the better plotted and written episodes of the series. Unlike other space operas that may have worn out their welcome after a few books, I'm ready for the next episode.

Best Selling SG 6 Eco-friendly 100% Premium New Zealand Wool Dryer Balls (XL, Handmade, All-Natural Fabric Softener--Great Stocking Stuffer!)--Extra Large Premium Quality--Save Time and Money
Offered by Susan's Gadgets
Price: $32.56
2 used & new from $17.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Money Saver and Helps the Environment, April 2, 2015
I was a little bit skeptical of using these at first, but call me convinced: they do decrease your drying time and reduce / eliminate static cling. They do not have a scent as you would find in most of the single-sheet fabric softeners, but that is to be expected given the reusable nature of the product.

The concept of using them is fairly simple – use approximately three of the balls for a small load and five balls for a larger load in your dryer. They seem to last forever as you can do (according to the manufacturer) over 1,500 loads before they need to be replaced; after approximately 50 loads of use in my house, there has been no degradation of the balls: over the lifetime of the product, that’s a heck of a lot of waste elimination as well as $$$ savings in comparison to using the single-use sheets.

If you’re looking to save some money in the long-term, as well as eliminate more garbage accumulating in our landfills, I would recommend these dryer balls.

Wireless Bluetooth Headset * Backed By Our 100% Money Back Guarantee * Best Sound Quality With Premium High Bass Speakers * Comfortable Hands Free Headphones with Microphone
5 used & new from $37.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Sound But Pricey, April 2, 2015
These headphones are comfortable on your ear, and provides a nice sound; the bass, however, needs a little bit of help (my test was cranking up Panama by Van Halen) even after mixing the volume with an equalizer app I have on my Kindle Fire.

Pairing the headphones with multiple devices was no problem, and I tested it with my Kindle Fire, Samsung phone, and a friend’s iPhone.

Please note the volume control is done on the device that is streaming the music and not with a selector on the headphones.

The battery lasts for a while, by my estimation approximately 10-12 hours; I can’t be more exact than that due to the stop / start nature of my listening to music.

While the sound quality is good, these headphones are fairly expensive at $44.97 (the pricing at the time I am typing up this review) in comparison to comparable bluetooth headphones I have that cost just $20. Based on the price and what you are receiving in return I would give these a pass.

Lexar 32GB Twistturn Black SKULLS USB Memory Flash Drive
Lexar 32GB Twistturn Black SKULLS USB Memory Flash Drive
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $14.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 32GB and Slow, March 24, 2015
Please note there is only 29.7 GB of storage space on the drive after you remove the one executable file included on the drive vs. the 32 GB as advertised. That may not sounds like much of a difference, but if you think about it that’s 7% less than advertised and quite a few MP3 files you won’t be able to hold.

The transfer write speed is pretty slow – to transfer 3.8 GB of MP3 files to the drive took 8 minutes 43 seconds. Transferring the exact same files to a Kensington USB 2.0 flash drive with the same computer took 4 minutes 8 seconds.

I would give this one a pass – the memory capacity is underreported and the transfer speed is pretty slow in comparison to other name-brand (vs. generic) thumb drives for the price you’re paying.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2015 7:06 PM PDT