Profile for J. Beck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Beck "br4v3_s1r_r0b1n" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Adjustable iPad Stand Tablet Holder - SALE - BEST Portable Stand For iPad, Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, Acer, Nook, Toshiba, e-Book Reader, Apple and Other Tablets. Fold-Up Universal Holder Good for Travel, Desk, Kitchen Cookbook, Airplane - All with LIFETIME MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - BrainyGadgets (White)
Offered by BrainyGadgets™
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The stand has a pretty slick design, November 9, 2014
The stand has a pretty slick design. It takes some fiddling to figure it out at first, but after you get how it folds together it's easy to work with. Holds my iPad2 securely in both portrait or landscape mode, at many angles, and does not slip around at all.

Do take note before you buy that the stand comes in several colors. These are listed as separate products on the site, but it'd be better if they showed as variations of a single product. Mine was white, but I think I'd have preferred black. The box says it comes in 3 other colors as well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The gold standard in INR monitoring, August 30, 2013
I had to purchase this out-of-pocket after a recent insurance change caused coverage for it to be dropped. Before that, I used the older InRatio meter (with the curved case and blue buttons) for the first 7 years after my aortic valve replacement. It was easy to use, durable, and (when used correctly) accurate to within about +/-0.2 of the lab measurement.

I just did the setup and first test with this newer, InRatio2 meter, and things are even better. The instructions are clearly written and complete (including how to set up the meter, and how to do the finger stick test). It included a set of lancets, capillary tubes, external power supply (with adapters for other countries), video CDs, and a carrying case. I was expecting to get the meter and little else, so this is awesome.

Testing with this meter seems a little faster. The buttons are different, and I think a little harder to deal with than the simpler version 1 meter, but it's still easy to set up and a joy to use. Now I can limit the lab blood draws to my once-a-year checkup, and don't have to make a monthly trip to the doctor. If anything, it lets me test more often, and track my INR with more precision, especially since the meter remembers the last 120 tests. This version of the meter lets you set your target range, and will notify you if any measurement is outside that range. With my old meter, the 4 AA batteries lasted for about 2 years of monthly testing. I'm betting this meter is at least that good if not better.

These meters do cost a lot, but they're well built, easy to use, and for those of us on Warfarin are a big help in keeping us healthy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)  DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop  Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10)
Price: $148.99
51 used & new from $143.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for late 2012 Mac Mini, December 10, 2012
Simple installation for my new Mac mini 2.6GHz w/Fusion drive. Do make sure the pins are pushed down in the slots; if they're not, the unit will beep on startup instead of playing the musical chime. It's probably also worth making sure you discharge any static before you touch the memory. Everything is superfast now!

Dewalt DPG59-115C Reinforcer Rx-Bifocal 1.5 Clear Lens High Performance Protective Safety Glasses with Rubber Temples and Protective Eyeglass Sleeve
Offered by BHP SAFETY PRODUCTS
Price: $10.14
14 used & new from $7.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cycling, October 7, 2011
I used similar safety glasses for cycling in the past, which worked quite well. Then, my vision started to gradually go bad. I could always see the road and those around me, but all the data from my cycle computer was a blur. Once I tried getting expensive prescription sports glasses, but they were just normal sunglasses with prescription insets. I couldn't see anything near OR far with them.

These are perfect for my needs. The bifocal lines are below my straight-ahead vision, yet a casual glance down shows my computer in focus. My near prescription is currently 1.75, but the 1.5 is good enough for my needs.

They're rugged, have full UV protection, and the clear ones are great for cycling in cloudy/rainy conditions. The lenses are big, offering plenty of eye coverage for protection in wind and for speedy descents. Best of all, they grip my head well, so that they don't shift down my nose as I look around or back at my freewheel. Cycling eyewear tends to be pricey; these do the job better for a fraction of the price.

HP Pavilion dm4-1160us 14-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 6.25 Hours of Battery Life (Argento)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice laptop, esp. for Ubuntu, April 21, 2011
Buying this laptop was the result of an exhaustive search for a slightly smaller yet full featured laptop. I don't want to run games, but I do want to run Eclipse, watch movies, maybe make some video calls, and run Linux. It's worked out fine for all of these tasks, is lightweight, and looks good in a room full of other laptops.

I did want to note that this laptop has much better features than the current gen. of the MacBook, and comparable specs with the MacBook Pro, for about 1/3 the price of a MacBook Pro. And none of the Macs are sporting a 7200RPM hard drive.

Note to the techies out there that this is an awesome machine for Ubuntu. I'm running 10.10, and didn't need to do *any* tweaks or extra package installs to get everything working. Wifi, Bluetooth, webcam, and audio all worked right out of the box. Be aware that HP takes up 3 of the 4 available primary disk partitions, so you'll have to make your Win7 restore disks (6 full DVDs!) before deleting them (if only to free up some unused space). I had to do this prior to install, as I was creating separate /boot and root partitions.

Win7 users will need to uninstall all the junk that HP puts on it, but after that it's a great machine.

Philips Hf3470 Wake-up Light,  White
Philips Hf3470 Wake-up Light, White
4 used & new from $476.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Many good features, a few misses, February 2, 2011
I agree with most people here that this is a very gentle, more natural way to wake up. The unit performs admirably in that regard, letting you adjust things like the final illumination, alarm sound, and volume to suit many needs. It does add a bit of uncertainty to when you actually wake up, though. I usually am awake 15 minutes into the half-hour wake sequence, but sometimes don't come around until the alarm sound comes on. I think it depends on how tired you are, and adds some uncertainty to how much sleep you get.

A few annoyances worthy of mention:
* The clock display is pretty dim relative to the light. In the dark it's fine, but when you wake up, the light is usually too bright and makes the clock hard to see.

* The chirping birds sound is an audio sample with a short loop time. It can drive you crazy fairly quickly (though maybe that's the point).

* Changing the alarm time is a bit of a pain, with only the +/- keys, and the select/menu buttons. Not an issue if you wake the same time each day.

* Radio tuner has no presets. Guess you set it and leave it.

* Hard to use it as a bedside lamp. The last brightness setting is your wake illumination, and I like it around 60% full brightness. If you crank it up to 100% to read and forget to turn it back down, you wake to blinding light.

Some positives:
* Snooze/off easy to find in the dark.

* Light on/off switch has a raised dot, making it easy to find by feel.

* "Demo mode" shows off the features to amazed friends.

I was a devotee of the Neverlate Executive, which is still really awesome, but I've moved this to be my primary wake device for now.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Runs two sizes too small, January 17, 2011
Very nice jersey. Just keep in mind that the Castelli's seem to run two sizes too small. I'm usually a Large, so I ordered XL. When I tried it on, it was more like a Medium. This makes it hard to zip up, as the zipper runs down the full length of the jersey.

Otherwise, looks sharp, works well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2011 8:58 AM PDT

Castelli Cervelo Training Jersey - Short-Sleeve - Men's
Castelli Cervelo Training Jersey - Short-Sleeve - Men's

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice jersey, but they run very small, January 17, 2011
I normally take a large, but have begun to bulk up in the spare tire area (middle age, go figure). I thought I'd order this in X-Large to be safe, since I'd heard these tend to run small.

I got the jersey, and it looks awesome. Problem is, it's more like a Medium. So if you're a Large, I say swallow your pride and order XXLarge.

The zipper on this runs the entire length of the jersey down the front. If it's too tight, you're not going to be able to get that zipper up, and it might just pop unzipped under the strain.

All that said, it's a really sharp looking jersey, with nice moisture-wicking fabric and 3 back pockets.

Mirror's Edge Original Videogame Score
Mirror's Edge Original Videogame Score

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good tracks, April 25, 2010
After playing through the game, I was left with the impression that (as good as the game was) the music had a better production values. The theme song especially added a lot to the ending of the game, as an ambient theme played throughout the game became a full-fledged song. The other tracks have a sort of techno-ambient quality that are great for listening to during work.

The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want
by Ed Pavelka
Price: $14.79
167 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for an overlooked genre, April 25, 2010
The bulk of the books on cycling out there are about racing, which is cool but not especially helpful for the mere mortals (like myself) who just want to improve distance. I bought this in preparation for the Seattle to Portland ride, and it's more than paid for itself in the benefits I've gotten from it.

The book is comprehensive in its coverage, and written specifically for the rider who is training to complete a century ride. It includes sections on nutrition, bike fit, training schedules, equipment, etc., all of which is relevant to the working cyclist. The advice it gave about neck soreness helped me get over a debilitating tendency I have to tense my shoulders, leaving my neck so tired after 40 miles that I can't lift my head. Now I'm riding >50 miles with no problems.

Includes sample training schedules for single and double centuries. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5