Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Deal of the Day
Profile for A. Burroughs > Reviews

Browse

A. Burroughs' Profile

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Burroughs RSS Feed (Cape Cod, MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Pirate Fluxx
Pirate Fluxx
Price: $11.12
57 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Argh! This game is fun, matey!, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Pirate Fluxx (Cards)
Argh! This game is fun, matey! Challenging (and funny) enough for a wide range of players to enjoy, simple enough for the kids to pick up (though for real little ones try the 'jr.' edition). We combined this recently with zombie fluxx for a large gathering of friends and it was hilarious. The nice thing is it's highly portable, too.

Tsuro: The Game of the Path
Tsuro: The Game of the Path
Price: $21.25
56 used & new from $15.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Chutes and ladders for big people, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Tsuro: The Game of the Path (Toy)
My kid had gotten this for her birthday and we enjoy playing it as a family. Think of it as a sort of malleable 'Chutes & Ladders' game for big people, challenging enough so the adults don't get bored (if your path runs you off the board you're eliminated), but simple enough even my 9-year-old learned the rules with ease. We just hunted down this game locally for my daughter to give to her BFF for a birthday present as we enjoy it enough to buy for other people.

I Run: A Novel
I Run: A Novel
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel as though I just ran a marathon with a wounded inner child..., October 18, 2013
This review is from: I Run: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I Run was a painful book to read, not because the story itself or the writing style was difficult, but because as Sally ran, I began to feel like I was running along with her, running, avoiding looking at issues of childhood abuse. Run faster. Run faster. Run, Little Sally, so you don't have to feel the pain.

As Sally runs from the horror that is her past, her childhood, her present life as a married woman, and the hopes of her children who are somewhat neglected as she runs, all are intermingled. Sometimes I had a bit of difficulty telling whether it was Big Sally telling the story or Little Sally, and I think that was the point. When you are the survivor of childhood abuse, the past, present and future all meld together into one big painful, incomprehensible mess.

By the time I was finished with this book I was exhausted. I felt as if I had just run a marathon, injured my legs, hurt my feet, been in a car accident and suffered a back injury, nearly destroyed my marriage, and all the guilt of motherhood when you are running from your past and know it is affecting your children, but dang! It's so painful to face that kind of stuff. Let's just run from it? Okay? Boy, this book hit close to home!

And I hope by now the reader has gotten the point ... when you're running from your past, your past keeps right up with you. Just like your shadow. And until you deal with it, it's just going to keep sneaking up behind you and shouting 'boo!'

But you CAN deal with it ... this book gives you hope.

The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (Kane Chronicles)
The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (Kane Chronicles)
by Rick Riordan
Price: $10.21
146 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids enjoyed immensely, September 4, 2013
I bought this for my both my daughter and my son. Both enjoyed and read the story. There was quite a bit of bickering which went on about whose book it was. So ... success :-)

The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules!)
The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules!)
by Jimmy Gownley
Price: $9.54
74 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my reluctant-to-read 'tween' to read :-), September 4, 2013
I picked up several books in this series to entice my reluctant-to-read 'tween' to enjoy reading without making it feel like a homework assignment. She read it. She laughed. That makes me happy.

When They Were Closed
When They Were Closed
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This is an 8-page 'short story', most of which is advertisement!, August 25, 2013
This is an 8-page short 'story,' most of which is advertisement. I thought Amazon wasn't going to allow this sort of garbage misuse of freebies anymore?

EYE OF THE WITCH: Book 2 (Detective Marcella Witch's Series)
EYE OF THE WITCH: Book 2 (Detective Marcella Witch's Series)
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard boiled delight!, August 18, 2012
The voice of the late middle-aged hard boiled detective in this novel was one of the best I've read in a very long time. I was sucked into this story and couldn't escape until I'd read it from cover to cover. I felt as though I was living and breathing alongside the chief protagonist.

Why two lost stars? One was the strange plot twist regarding the villain at the end. It wasn't a case of not noticing the breadcrumbs and going 'yes ... of course.' The villain came out of the blue with no warning. I hate that. When a villain suddenly steps out of the shadows from amongst the red herrings, I want to be able to slap myself on the head and say 'but of course!' This book was otherwise too well-written to get away with such a misstep. And then there was a magical line (literally) throughout the novel where the supernatural was an integral part of the story, but it was always handled with a sense of disbelief. Kind of like the X-files where a few people knew, but most people ignored its existence. The ending caused the story to cross too far over that line into magical fairy land (which would have been okay if this had been a fantasy story, not a detective novel with a paranormal element).

The second lost star [*spoiler alert*] was the sudden transformation at the end. If I wanted to read a YA novel, I'd have BOUGHT a YA novel. It would have been better to transform the younger detective into a prodigy and launched a separate series with HIM as the protagonist, with his own voice.

See Tom Run
See Tom Run
by Scott Wittenburg
Price: $14.98
17 used & new from $12.67

3.0 out of 5 stars The suspense of Lost, but the agenda killed it., August 18, 2012
This review is from: See Tom Run (Paperback)
Mr. Whittenburg knows how to write a suspense novel that keeps you turning the pages like a monkey hitting a lever for food. The story was surreal. You knew in the back of your mind why and the story did not disappoint, but then how it tied back in was also surreal (in a good way).

What killed the story was the character was not very admirable (which was intentional ... and okay). But the whole thing seemed tied to a right-wing political agenda (I wont' say what as it would spoil it ... but it got to the point it just killed the story). Had the agenda been more subtle, it would have been okay. But when you pound your agenda from beginning to end, you begin to find yourself asking, 'will this story just end?'

My advice ... read the next suspense thriller as this author knows how to keep you turning pages ... but hope they kill the political agenda. It killed an otherwise good story.

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, Book 4)
Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, Book 4)
by Richelle Mead
Price: $9.63
197 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Earned a place in my libary, April 14, 2012
I was going to only give this a three-star because portions of the first half of the book dragged. I'm new to this series, so Roses trips back-and-forth into Lissa's mind were just plain annoying. I realize this is the Vampire Academy series so perhaps the author felt some need to keep the story connected the school, but it weakened the story. Compared to Roses quest, the intrigues of the Moroi court and the viper in their midst just seemed ... vacuous.

That being said, the last 1/3 of the book and the delicately woven details throughout the book of Roses trip through Russia earned it that fourth star. Rose went there to do a job and (sort of) did it (won't say more ... spoilers). Mead's description of Mockba, the Russian countryside, the mannerisms and hospitality of the Russian people were dead-on. Either she's Russian, has visited Russia, or did one heck of a job of researching the topic. Especially her description of Yelta ... stereotypical poccua babuswka.

Roses interactions with Dimitri ... hope ... grief ... heartbreak. I ran the full gamut of emotions along with Rose. There was a nice little curve ball at the end about a certain scarf-bearer (spoiler) and when a certain package arrives in the mail, I actually found myself shouting 'yes!'

I will be picking up the next book in this series and reading it. It has earned a place in my library.

Barbie Doll Ken As Star Trek's Spock
Barbie Doll Ken As Star Trek's Spock
Offered by shack dog emporium
Price: $39.98
17 used & new from $38.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Beam me up, Scottie!, April 5, 2012
Before writing this review, I have to qualify it by stating I am a Star Trek fan from back when the original series was playing on television. I love Star Trek in all of its incarnations, from cheesy cardboard sets of the classics to the high-tech, visually stimulating reboot. Okay ... there ... I said it! I'm a biased reviewer!

That being said, Santa Claus (aka ... me) brought all three Barbie/Trek dolls to my 9-year-old in his warp-drive-propelled transporter-sleigh and I'm happy to say she's still enjoying playing with her Trekkie dolls four months after Christmas has come and gone. Which is unfortunate. I haven't been able to pry my handsome Spock doll out of her grasping little fingers so -I- can play with him. I'm looking forward to the day she grows bored with them so -I- can play! Until then, I'll just have to seek out new doll-forms to feed my Star Trek obsession. The verdict ... buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8