Profile for C.W. Knits > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C.W. Knits RSS Feed (Madison, WI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Boyhood [HD]
Boyhood [HD]
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars By turns poignant and funny, always feels true, December 20, 2014
Groundbreaking concept and execution. Superb acting by all key players. By turns poignant and funny, always feels true. Loved watching these kids and their parents grow over the years.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes Good Coffee, but..., February 2, 2012
This coffee dripper does make delicious coffee, as long as you follow the instructions regarding moistening the paper filter first to prevent the papery taste, and if you are sure to weigh the coffee to be sure you're using just the right amount. However, I was disappointed at how quickly the coffee cools. The plastic material doesn't hold enough heat. I have had some success countering this by wrapping the whole thing in a dish towel while it's infusing, as well as filling the coffee cups with boiling water to preheat them. But the biggest disappointment was when, less than two weeks into owning it, one of the little feet that hold the dripper up off the counter chipped off. So now it doesn't stand up straight unless I wedge a knife handle or something like that under the base where the chip is. Between that, the towel, and heating the cups, it's a bit much. I would not order this again.

Pipsqueak Knits: 12 Deluxe QuickKnits for Your Baby & Toddler
Pipsqueak Knits: 12 Deluxe QuickKnits for Your Baby & Toddler
by Jil Eaton
Price: $11.39
49 used & new from $0.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame, March 8, 2010
This looked so promising based on the reviews. For a book to contain only 12 patterns, they should really knock your socks off. Not so with this book. Two of the hat patterns are nearly identical except for the yarn used, and the others have such large pompoms or tassels that they pull the hat off the baby's head. The sweaters (three out of the six are the same boxy thing with buttons at the shoulders) are basically bulky unshaped squares, and the jumpsuits are amorphous blobs. The cable sweater in particular comes out extremely clunky and clumsy looking--I should have taken the photo at face value--not to mention the fact that the matching hat has nothing at the brim to keep the hat secure on the head, so it just slides sideways and falls off! The write-up erroneously states that the patterns are for all skill levels, but they're mostly extremely easy, some to the point of being too boring to knit. Mostly all of the patterns look like a clownish rehash of stuff that came before, and are hardly "chic and charming." Also, the brand of yarn that goes with the book is horrible. After three wearings, it looks pilly and ratty. Very disappointing--this one gets donated to my library.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2012 5:29 PM PST

Kalorik 500-Watt 2-Speed Countertop Blender with 48-Oz. Glass Jar, Brushed Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Here today, gone tomorrow, March 8, 2010
This blender got raves in Cook's Illustrated, which is why I bought it. At first it was great (we make a lot of smoothies from frozen fruit). After a couple of months, I thought it seemed louder than before, but shrugged it off thinking that it must have always been that loud, as it was still working fine. Well it turns out the noise was based on the fact that the blender basically vibrated itself apart! Didn't last more than four months.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2012 3:48 PM PST

Fairy Tale Knits: 32 Projects to Knit Happily Ever After
Fairy Tale Knits: 32 Projects to Knit Happily Ever After
by Alison Stewart-Guinee
Price: $17.45
52 used & new from $8.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, March 8, 2010
This book (hardcover-yay!) is packed with such adorable, tasteful knits for kids. I have already knit the flower fairy cloche, the princess sweater and the crown hat and they all turned out beautifully. There are plenty of photos, and even though the designs might sound gimmicky, they all look like things kids can wear any day. Looking forward to making snow queen outfit when I have time.

Pit
Pit
Offered by Our Pampered Home
Price: $9.06
41 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a fun game for the family, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Pit (Toy)
We owned the older version of this game--the one with the corn, barley, oats, etch--so we were a little disappointed to see they changed it to silver, gold, etc. At least they include cocoa in the commodities. :-) Anyway, it's still just as fun as ever. Our family has such a rollicking time playing it that I think we scared the neighbors. Fun for everyone without any fuss, just a deck of cards.

FRYE Rodeo Boot (Toddler/Little Kid/Big Kid)
FRYE Rodeo Boot (Toddler/Little Kid/Big Kid)
Price: $125.00 - $142.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Impeccable Frye style and craftsmenship, March 8, 2010
I can't afford Frye boots for myself unfortunately, but I could afford to buy these beautiful boots for my fashion-conscious 10 year old. She loves them so much and wears them as often as she can. She actually started a cowboy boot trend in her class. The boots are beautifully crafted: lined with soft leather, full leather sole and heel, lovely studded design on the sides, and a ZIPPER, which you rarely see on cowboy boots. Too bad they don't have the turquoise in her size!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Love these boots!, March 8, 2010
I have worn these constantly since I bought them. They are so cute and fun with the cut outs on the sides and the pointy toe that curves upward a bit. Plus they make a great clip clop sound as you're walking down the street that makes you feel very sprightly. They do run small (about a half to one size too small) however and are narrow. I have narrow feet so that's okay, but I could see that they would not be comfortable on a wide foot. Mine stretched a bit and conformed to my foot pretty quickly. If they had these in another color, I would definitely get them.

Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
by Ana Paula Rimoli
Price: $14.60
79 used & new from $3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and Quirky, March 8, 2010
What adorable critters you can crochet with the help of this enchanting book. I'm more a knitter than crocheter, but I find these patterns so easy to follow, and so fun to complete that I'm really enjoying crochet more than I ever have. These cute creatures are great gifts for all ages: teenagers like them just as much as babies do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2010 9:59 AM PDT

Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace)
by Alice Starmore
Price: $19.94
61 used & new from $13.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a favorite, March 8, 2010
I had this book in a previous printing and lost it in a move. Now that I have it back in its new printing, it's like being united with an old friend. It is the most clear and comprehensive book on Fair Isle knitting that I know of. Also, Starmore presents the material with tons of beautiful photos and lots of tips and unique and helpful ways to describe what's supposed to be happening with the yarns. Starmore is so smart and talented but her writing is not snooty or condescending (like the Principles of Knitting author). I'm going to attempt my first steek with my next project!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3