Profile for John Chapin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Chapin RSS Feed (Jackson Heights, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Aint That Right the Music of Neal Hefti
Aint That Right the Music of Neal Hefti
Price: $14.05
35 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars There's So Much Right About This..., November 2, 2014
There are a lot of Neal Hefti tunes that you'll be familiar with, but I was introduced to a few... all together, this is a great sampling of Hefti's bag. I'm certain that he would have been pleased with the interpretations here.
Probably the most edgy part of this album is some of the sound effects from Wycliffe Gordon's trombone playing; it's a stretch for sure, but nothing that is out of place.
The rhythm section is very supportive and spontaneous.
Cunningham's tenor ranges from warm and comfy to phat & funky. The flute playing is really great. And clarinet...?!? OMG. You have to check out his clarinet chops!
In conclusion, this album is a real tour de force for a multi-instrumentalist, and I can't wait to hear more from him!

Fade
Fade
Price: $24.18
8 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joyfull Noise!, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Fade (Audio CD)
Michael Lowenstern brings us an amazingly broad range of sounds from his bass clarinet, overlaid with beat-boxing sounds, body-percussion, and more. Each piece contrasts with the others, and has a unique feeling. It's an amazing testement to not only Lowenstern's playing craft, but his artistic conception too.
Plus, the bass clarinet is one of those under-appreciated axes, so here we have a chance to wake up to what it can do in the hands of a joyful artist.
I hear a lot swing on this album, mixed with ambient sounds, house, a quick visit to the old New York East Village, and in "Georgia On My Mind" echoes of distant memories. Thankfully the sound of this record is well recorded, capturing the organic, wood of the bass clarinet. The key-clicks, slap-tounging, breaths, and ambient room sound from the studio are in perfect balance; taken all together, the listener is drawn in to a wonderfully intimate experience.

My typical listening is heavily biased towards pre-1960 jazz, so frankly I was not expecting to dig this as much as I do.
Now, I can't wait to hear more from Michael Lowenstern!

Haws V200 10-Ounce Plant Mister, Brass
Haws V200 10-Ounce Plant Mister, Brass
Price: $22.20
4 used & new from $22.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Major technical flaw, March 2, 2014
I really wanted to like this sprayer: it looks really nice in un-lacquered brass, and I had bought this for my wife for Christmas. But there is one bit of plastic in the pump mechanism that prevents it from working properly.
In any kind of pump there is a valve -- in a sprayer like this one, the valve is created by a captive steel ball. On intake, the ball rises with the incoming water. On compression, the steel ball sinks and covers the intake hole.
But the intake hole in this pump is made of plastic. With anything more than the lightest pressure when pumping causes the steel ball to get stuck in the plastic hole. This in turn prevents water from entering on the next intake. Aarrgghh.
For a few months we kept a toothpick next to our plants, so when the steel ball got jammed we'd unscrew the top and pop the steel ball free, but I've had enough of babying this pretty-but-poorly designed sprayer, and I'll look elsewhere.
Very frustrating.
Given the positive reviews I'd guess that some of these work ok -- but I'm sure that eventually the wearing of the steel ball against plastic opening will cause this pump to wear out. At this price, that doesn't cut it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2015 9:06 PM PDT

Magic 201
Magic 201
Price: $18.47
37 used & new from $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flute Sound of Frank Wess, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Magic 201 (Audio CD)
Frank Wess, on his "Magic 201" album, records a 5 minute solo rendition of "The Summer Knows" on the flute.
I must start by remarking on his tone; his flute sound has always been warm, but he really out does himself here with tons of bottom in the sound.
Next, the way he plays the melody is expressive: wistful and moody, clearly thinking about something in the past which touched him deeply.
Ok -- we're now up to bar 33, and if I were a writer, we'd be at chapter 3, somewhere around 3,000 words. (Consider yourself lucky that I don't entertain such notions!)
Wess improvises a few choruses -- unaccompanied -- of the most perfect improvisation you can imagine. Hearing his phrasing and ideas, even unaccompanied, never sounds lacking -- I imagine a whole big band AND strings within this singular sound of Frank Wess' flute.
With a feeling of release and having unburdened himself of that wistful past, he restates the last half of the melody, with more liberties taken and up an octave.
I miss you, Frank Wess, but thanks for this. I cherish this recording.
Frank Wess' flute only appears on this one track; all the other tracks of both Magic 101 & 201 are handled on tenor.
Quantity ain't the point, dig?

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Aarrgghh..., January 29, 2014
I am comfortable dealing with daemons on Macs and other flavors of Unix... but the way that Flowlink is written is pretty lame.
This flowlink would not connect to my Polar FT7 running Mac 10.7.5, so I'm returning the whole mess. This was a big waste of time.

Acme Made Union Pack Backpack with 15-Inch Notebook Pocket Black (AM00858-PWW)
Acme Made Union Pack Backpack with 15-Inch Notebook Pocket Black (AM00858-PWW)

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy duty, killin bag, January 20, 2014
I have carried this bag for 6 months without any problems. It holds my old-school iPad with a keyboard cover and my MacBook Air, and about 150 pounds of cables, batteries, adapters and plugs...
I love the fact that it has a sternum strap -- this makes ALL the difference when carrying a fully stuffed backpack!
The only nit I have with this bag is that the zippers are exposed without any rain flaps.
But in reality I've carried it through rain, sleet, and snow and have never noticed any droplets in the bag.
This is definitely one tough little trooper: after 6 months I can see absolutely no sign of wear!

Protec Padded Backpack Strap
Protec Padded Backpack Strap
Price: $15.29
10 used & new from $15.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Far from acceptable, March 21, 2013
I really like Protec products -- I've bought their saxophone and clarinet cases -- and give almost all their products rave reviews.
The problem with these straps are the way they attach at the upper anchor, behind your neck. The big flat buckle doesn't lie flat and makes long carries almost unbearable.
I applaud Protec for including a sternum strap, though. Why doesn't everybody see the value in a sternum strap?
I've tried to solve the upper anchor problem myself, but the only way I can solve it is to use the Mountainsmith straps instead.
These Mountainsmith straps are better quality, and only a few dollars more expensive. But they are definitely worth it.
Be warned that you will need to do a little hand stitching and work out your own means of anchoring them.
But after a few quality hours with a needle, I've set up my bari sax, tenor, and alto cases so that I can throw them on my back comfortably using the Mountainsmith straps.

Black
Black
Price: $19.48
12 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Fantasmagorical, March 8, 2013
This review is from: Black (Audio CD)
I would like to make 3 points about this ingenious collection of music.
First: the bass clarinet is an instrument of profound expression.
Second: this album has not one bass clarinets, but TWO.
And finally, they sound really great.
The music has a lot of geometry and rhythmic drive, yet with a certain emotional detachment. Every note infused with energy and passion. This is how I want to play.
Overall, it's a delightful combination: the luscious tones of the bass clarinets, framed in these modern compositions.
A great combination. One could say, unbelievably fantasmagorical!

Belkin Slim 15.4" Notebook Polyester Backpack, Black/Light Gray
Belkin Slim 15.4" Notebook Polyester Backpack, Black/Light Gray
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Half-good, October 27, 2012
I really want to like this pack. The inside is good -- it holds my Macbook Air, my iPad, and a bunch of other cords and junk.
But the straps are terrible -- they are too stiff, and are not comfortable. It is only bearable when wearing it by only one strap.
Besides being too stiff, the straps are sewn into the pack too far apart, so when you're wearing both straps, it puts the weight on your shoulders furthest from your neck. This is it's so darn uncomfortable.
Maybe if there were a sternum strap it would fit better.

12 Bit Blues
12 Bit Blues
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $17.07
22 used & new from $9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Hah!!! Dig this the most... from an old guy., September 28, 2012
This review is from: 12 Bit Blues (Audio CD)
Let's just say I was born BEFORE the Brittish invasion, and my record (and CD) collection contains very few recordings made after 1965... I'm all jazz and blues. And I sure as heck don't own any rap or hip hop, no "house", nothing like that. Plus I play saxes, flutes, and clarinet professionally; I'm all about natural sound in the air, and not about electronics.
That said, I have to say this record by Kid Koala really is great... I can recognize a lot of the samples, but there are a lot of sounds I can't place. The way he put everything together is so hip.
New wine, old vines, baby.
To all my old guy friends: stretch a bit and check this out -- you'll definitely dig it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 6:41 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4