Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for J. Richards > Reviews

Browse

J. Richards' Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Richards "paingelbaby" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

A Guy Walks into a Bar
A Guy Walks into a Bar
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know what to expect, pleasantly surprised, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Mob City Season 1 (Amazon Video)
I thought this might be cheesy or clichéd, so I hesitated a bit before watching it. I found it surprisingly well acted and photographed. It helped that the first episode was free, otherwise I probably would have passed on it. Definitely watchable, from the creator of The Walking Dead.

Orca Shrugged
Orca Shrugged

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda Skeevy, Kinda Dull..., October 12, 2012
I wasn't a big fan of the show at first. It was okay. But after awhile, it started to grow on me, especially after the 3rd season and into the 4th. Some of the episodes have been pretty insightful and have drawn me in to care about some of these characters. It has always been on the raunchy side. A show about a bunch of bikers that think of themselves as outlaws? I would have been surprised if it wasn't wild and raunchy. But this episode hit a new low. Ugh. I have a sense of humor and I'm far from being a prude, but I didn't find the shenanigans with the he/she in this episode to be particuarly funny. It could have been if it had been written differently, but nah. It seemed like it was slimy for slimy's sake. Just for the shock value. Come to think of it though, I wasn't particularly shocked either. Just bored and grossed out. I think I want my $1.99 back for this episode. And my 45 minutes.

Moon
Moon
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Alot of Bang for the Sci-fi Buck- Great Indie Film, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Moon (Amazon Video)
Sam is counting the days until he can go home. His contract with Lunar Corp is almost up, and if he can just hang on a little while longer, he'll be on his way back home to earth to be with his family. After almost three years alone and isolated, he can hardly wait. But things aren't what they seem. After an accident with one of the lunar rovers, things start to unravel and suddenly- he's not alone. The movie has an interesting and cynical premise that (unfortunately) is quite believeable. The story is smart and engaging, but what fascinated me more was the environment the filmmakers created and the special effects. This is an indie sci-fi movie whose effects rival 2001 and Alien even though it was probably made for a fraction of the price. There aren't any spectacular explosions or monsters, but there is such attention to detail and great work with models that I found the idea of a single-manned mining station on the moon completely plausible. Really good movie. The extras on the DVD are also cool to watch, if you have access to them.

Downfall
Downfall
DVD ~ Bruno Ganz
Offered by The Thunder Cats
Price: $17.79
42 used & new from $5.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Well Researched and Executed, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Downfall (DVD)
Difficult to watch at times, but too fascinating to quit. This doesn't play like a movie "about" something, or even a documentary. It's almost something like 'living history.' Appears to be well researched historically and I didn't get the sense that the makers made too many assumptions or took many liberties for the sake of drama. The acting was spot on and not the least bit self indulgent. The result is a stark and disturbing slice of history. If you watch this and "The White Ribbon", I think you can get a pretty accurate glimpse of the mentality that gave rise to Nazi Germany. And 75 or so years later, a few generations removed, it's still bloody frightening.

Family Matters
Family Matters
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Show is passable- but can't make me buy a KIA- Ever!, September 25, 2012
This review is from: The Glades Season 2 (Amazon Video)
The show by itself is okay, some episodes better than others, but I have never seen such blatant product placement anywhere. When the dialogue in the episode (mostly in the second season) deliberately steers (no pun intended) to the features of a character's KIA SUV and another character is holding up a bag of reese's pieces in a way that is slightly more subtle than having a big neon sign over his head, something has to be wrong. Aren't legitimate commercials every eight minutes enough? This is tacky and it takes away from the show, which is too often predictable and needs all the help it can get.