Profile for Maslow > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maslow RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Stade De France
Stade De France
DVD ~ Mylene Farmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sept. 11 concert, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Stade De France (DVD)
Is this DVD Region 1 for USA ? I want to order it, but I don't see that it is for America. I was at the Sept. 11 concert, and I love Mylène. I found the DVD on FNAC, but they are only selling DVD's for Region 2 (Europe).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2010 12:34 AM PDT

La Musique de Paris Derniere 2
La Musique de Paris Derniere 2
18 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 5, 2006
I bought my copy on the rue de Ecole de Medicine, across from the best greasy spoon in Paris called La Fourchette. This CD was the first I saw in a box of CD's on the sidewalk. All I had to see was that Shirley Bassey sang a cover of the Doors' "Light My Fire," and I was sold. Man, oh, man, was it the biggest bargain I found on my last trip to Paris. I LOVE THIS CD. I agree with all of the other 5-star reviews of this CD on Amazon. You have to get this CD; it will not disappoint you. Whoever put these songs together has got a brilliant mind. The originality and sensibility of these remakes are genius.

The Glass Bottom Boat
The Glass Bottom Boat
DVD ~ Doris Day
Price: $8.49
51 used & new from $4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Doris Day movie!, August 30, 2006
This review is from: The Glass Bottom Boat (DVD)
I love Doris Day movies for the sets, the clothes, and -- most of all -- all of the laughs and fun. It is just completely entertaining. I am always amazed by her ability to make movies work, especially when there was nothing like action, violence, or sex, that hooked her audiences in.

Magazine Beach
Magazine Beach
by Lewis Gannett
27 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Back and Re-read it!, March 16, 2006
This review is from: Magazine Beach (Paperback)
Even though the book's plot is a little wacky, I loved the book when I read it upon publication. I am reading it again now (2006), because the plot has since become so relevant: an American society living with fear of terror and of sudden climate change. This book can't really be called science fiction so much as science prediction!

Angels & Demons
Angels & Demons
by Dan Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
2200 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Conflicts with church traditions, March 20, 2005
No doubt about it, Dan Brown writes novels that are controversial. But for me, he has inspired me to want to read more about the history of Christianity. I know a little about the history of "The Book of Common Prayer." I'll just have to read some more. Then, I'll assemble my own "facts" and take my time to sort it all out.

The Name of the Rose
The Name of the Rose
by Umberto Eco
363 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Syllogisms, January 2, 2005
This review is from: The Name of the Rose (Hardcover)
I took my time reading this book. Because it promised to be a multi-layered reading experience, I took to underlining important passages, so I could go back to them, especially the first passages about the Fraticelli, the Minorities, and the descriptions of the layouts of the kitchen, the staircases, etc. Because my edition was not annotated, I took to making my own notes in the margins. While I was told I could look up translations of the Latin passages over the Internet, I did not, because I was reading this book for enjoyment, not academic purposes. However, I did ruin the ending of the book early on because I was googling the name of this book -- a mistake I warn you not to make. Reading "The Name of the Rose" turned out to be an enriching and marvelous experience for me. It would have been much more rewarding had I been told to avoid the Internet for supplemental resource help during the reading of this book.

The Essential Willie Nelson
The Essential Willie Nelson
Price: $11.88
45 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars All Of Me, September 28, 2004
This is a great collection of music: standard Willie Nelson compositions and even Irving Berling. For a very long time, I held out for a better greatest hits albumn, and I'm grateful I waited for this one.

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
by Roger Lowenstein
Price: $9.28
222 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Thoroughly-researched, September 28, 2004
Mr. Lowenstein wrote an interesting account of the Long-Term Capital Mgmt. debacle. It was great to read about the "behind-the-scenes" meetings, which took place. My absolute favorite was the revelation about the cannibalism of LTCM's positions by Wall Street firms, once LTCM's trading positions became known. Even at a tipping point of potential national/international capital markets crisis, Wall Street was concerned with making money before/while they participated in a work-out of LTCM's holdings. That was the ultimate lesson I took away from this fantastic book.

A Perfect Husband
A Perfect Husband
by Aphrodite Jones
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
104 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking!, July 25, 2004
I cannot believe this story could be true: A fiction writer plots the death of his wife. This book is Aphrodite Jones at her best.

You Only Die Twice: A Novel (Britt Montero Mysteries)
You Only Die Twice: A Novel (Britt Montero Mysteries)
by Edna Buchanan
147 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and thrilling, March 6, 2002
Having been fortunate to have read over the years Edna Buchanan's books, I can say "You Only Die Twice" was as good as "Contents Under Pressure" and "Miami, It's Murder." That the latest installment in the Britt Montero mystery series was as exciting as those first only showed that Ms. Buchanan had created a formidable character in Britt. Strong dialogue propelled the plot forward. Indeed, through exchanges between Lottie and Britt, it was shown that Britt was becoming insensitive in regards to people, most noticeably in her attitude toward Angel. Ms. Buchanan achieved an impressive balance between the high-octane action in her novel and the deliberately paced development of Britt. Only after Britt finally became enthralled at Angel's child birth did Britt reaffirm her faith in "happy endings." This metaphor for redemption was essential, because there has been implied a nobility in Britt's constitution. After wavering, it was reassuring to see that authenticity we have come to expect. By the end of "You Only Die Twice," Ms. Buchanan had instilled a new hope in Britt. I zipped through this book, and I hadn't been able to finish a book in over a year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3