Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for rhonva > Reviews

Browse

rhonva's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

rhonva RSS Feed (Bay Area, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska
If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska
by Heather Lende
Price: $9.72
217 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars If You Died There, She'd Write About You, August 1, 2007
Though I enjoyed reading about Haines and parts of this author's life, the preoccupation with death throughout this book was overwhelming. Death of relatives, strangers, friends, animals. Accidental death. Death by falling, by weather, by cancer, by boats sinking, by airplanes crashing. Fear of death. Near death. Funerals. Researching and writing obituaries. Anniversaries of loved ones dying. Even when it seems a chapter is going to be about a different subject, within a few pages it seems like death always sneaks in there.

I'd like to see another book by this author, this time devoted to life and living, instead of death and dying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2010 12:19 PM PDT

MKK-6 MYSTERY KUDDLER 6
MKK-6 MYSTERY KUDDLER 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat nirvana, May 19, 2006
This review is from: MKK-6 MYSTERY KUDDLER 6 (Misc.)
From the moment he saw this bed, our (huge) kitten was in bliss! He curled up and slept inside it, he dragged it around, he played with it (the best game is to unfold the sides into a 'tube' configuration and throw a toy inside. He'd go crazy digging out the toy!) and, when he started to get bigger, we just flipped it upside-down and he used it as a hammock. These beds might not last forever, but you can get a lot of them for the price of one fancier-looking but much less fun bed.

Teach Yourself Swahili Dictionary
Teach Yourself Swahili Dictionary
by D. V. Perrott
26 used & new from $0.14

3.0 out of 5 stars missing some basic words and explanations, December 13, 2001
I was perfectly content with this Swahili dictionary as a desktop reference ... until I noticed that it doesn't include some very obvious nouns, such as cheetah (duma), ruby (yakuti), or tarantula (bui). It also neglects to mention that many of these words will only be understood by 'formal' Swahili speakers on the coast and in Nairobi. Inland speakers use a related, but less complex, form of the language.
Still, this works for a basic at-home reference, especially if combined with an online Swahili translation reference such as the Living Swahili Dictionary (...)

Everyday Life Among the American Indians: 1800 to 1900 (Writer's Guide to Everyday Life Series)
by Candy Vyvey Moulton
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars huge range of information, December 12, 2001
I am a fan of the "Everyday Life" series, and this is the most detailed of them that I have seen. I was impressed. It has more information over a wider variety of topics than I expected, especially considering that this is such a broad subject.
This, however, is also the book's weakness. The author was asked to cover such a massive range of information (the 'everyday life' of every American Indian tribe within a hundred-year period) that she would have needed three times the page count to do each tribe justice.
Most chapters (Family Life, Wars, Weapons and Treaties, Clothing and Accessories, etc.) are divided into geographical area, with information about the tribes in that area mixed within the section. For example, under Family Life, Great Basin, we find paragraphs on the birthing traditions of the Shoshane, puberty rituals of the Paiute, marriage among the Ute, and death rituals of the Shoshane. All detailed and engaging, making this an excellent overview, but you may be frustrated if you're hoping to learn in-depth about any specific tribe.

Weber 752001 22-1/2" One Touch Gold Charcoal Grill, Burgundy (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars gotta love this grill, December 5, 2001
This is a quality grill. It arrived in perfect condition, and we put it together with minimal effort. The parts are sturdy and well-fitting. Several thoughtful little details (such as the flip-up panel on the grill that allows you to add more charcoal) make things easy for BBQ beginners like my husband and I. The catch bin at the bottom is simple to use, prevents ash from blowing all over the yard, and you can make several dinners on the grill before needing to empty the bin.
A chimney starter accessory is a must. No more lighter fluid, no more endless waiting for the coals to get hot enough to start cooking. It makes the difference between a barbequed meal being an hours-long production and a casual "Hey, why don't we barbeque that?" just before dinnertime.

Dance Dance Revolution
Dance Dance Revolution
Offered by Records4less:)
Price: $84.00
47 used & new from $0.68

5.0 out of 5 stars gotta love workout mode, December 3, 2001
My husband and I first discovered this game in an arcade, and after we built up the nerve to try it, we were immediately addicted. When we learned that the home version includes a Workout Mode (in which you input your weight and either the amount of time you want to dance or the number of calories you want to burn) we had to give it a try. It has quickly become our favorite way to exercise, both alone and together. We love to watch our increasing scores and decreasing waistlines!
(The soft dance pads do slide on the carpet a little bit, but not enough to be a problem. We just readjust their positions after every few songs -- no big deal.)

A Primate's Memoir
A Primate's Memoir
by Robert M. Sapolsky
93 used & new from $3.77

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read -- more about the author than the baboons, December 3, 2001
This review is from: A Primate's Memoir (Hardcover)
I picked up this book immediately after finishing several works by Jane Goodall, and I was anticipating another in-depth exploration into primate society. I was surprised. Though 'A Primate's Memoir' does indeed describe the personalities and events in several baboon troops, the larger portion of the book focuses on the author and his colorful experiences in East Africa.
That said, I have to recommend this book as a fantastic read. The many anecdotes are both hilarious and alarming, very well-written and often thought-provoking. He writes with a humor not often found in 'my life in Africa'-type autobiographies, which makes me think he loves the place as much as I do. And the chilling final chapter, describing conditions and events in certain (unnamed) East African game parks, was worth the price of the book by itself.

Child of Fortune
Child of Fortune
by Norman Spinrad
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly written and thought-provoking, December 3, 2001
This has long been one of my favorite books. It is a serious, no-simple-answers coming-of-age tale, yet at the same time it manages to imaginative and entertaining, with plenty of laughs and vivid imagery. Thus the story is enjoyable whether the reader is in a contemplative mood or simply craving a good science fiction yarn.
Most of all, I admire the author's use of language and dialect. He creates a form of modified English by incorporating words from several different languages throughout the text, as well as some made-up slang and terminology. (The novel is written in first-person, thus the use of dialect is constant through the text.) This can be daunting at first, but by the time you're a few chapters in you'll have 'picked up' the language to a remarkable degree. Years after my last reading, I still remember it.
Again, one of my favorites. I'm going to buy another copy soon, before my old, often-reviewed copy falls apart completely.

Jungle Travel & Survival
Jungle Travel & Survival
by John B. Walden
27 used & new from $1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars lots about travel, less about survival, October 1, 2001
If you're thinking of travelling to a jungle area, this book is indispensible. It has well-thought out information about everything from health to culture shock, dealing with guides, children in the jungle, how to behave when interacting with tribal populations, what to pack, group dynamics, managing a mosquito net, the truth about ants, how to tolerate being wet all day, how to use a machete... literally everything you'll need to know.
My only criticism is that the information about jungle survival (as opposed to travel) is only one chapter, and though it is also well-written, is limited in scope. My sense is that this was an excellent travel book with some survival information thrown in at the last minute to justify putting 'survival' in the title. Therefore, hard-core survival researchers might be disappointed. All others are likely to tremendously appreciate this book.

Kodak Gold Max 400 Speed 24 Exposure 35mm Film (2 Pack)
Kodak Gold Max 400 Speed 24 Exposure 35mm Film (2 Pack)
Offered by M Z Photo
Price: $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent color, December 8, 2000
After taking pictures in Africa, Turkey, Greece, Alaska, and many other places, I've learned (sometimes the hard way) to take film seriously. A great camera will still take muddy pictures if the film quality is questionable.
I recently loaded this Kodak Gold Max 400 film into a new camera to take a test roll before another trip, and was surprised by the wonderful color quality of the returned pictures. A second test roll, taken of brightly-colored holiday decorations, came back excellent as well.
Now, if Amazon would only sell it in 10-packs, I'd be happy...

Page: 1 | 2