There's some nice engineering in this saw, but it traps you in a double insult: Dremel's expensive and short-lived blades. The Ultra-Saw uses Dremel blades only (11mm hole, 3-1/2 to 4-inch diameter).
Dremel is all about spinning abrasives. Maybe that's why the wood cutting blades for this saw are more like grinding wheels than saw blades (see uploaded pic). I don't yet know the durability of the blades, but I have a funny feeling it's not 1000+ cuts, like a carbide tooth saw blade. Dremel says the US500 blade lasts twice as long as the Dremel SM500 blade
complained about in Curmudgeon's review ( http://www.amazon.com/review/R2YJ5XQNQJ383S ) of the Dremel SM20-02 120-Volt Saw-Max Tool Kit
The Ultra-Saw can do a few things your jigsaw can't. You might want this thing in your arsenal, but I don't think it's very good for general use.
Some other 3-3/8" to 5" circular saws have features this one lacks.
- Solid construction, heavy-duty cast alloy shoe.
- Does a few things other saws won't (like undercutting baseboards).
- Left-side blade helps you see the work (if you're right handed).
- Warranty: 2 years
* Only uses Dremel blades
* Dremel wood cutting blades are $15-20 each (or about $10 as part of blade package)
* Dremel wood cutting blades are abrasive based (see uploaded pic). May wear out much faster than a normal carbide saw blade.
- Dremel wood cutting blades put out more fine dust (vs. shavings) and do not cut as cleanly as good quality saw blades
- No bevel cuts
- Maximum cutting depth: 3/4-inch
- Can't use a guide fence on the right side. Adjustment lever is in the way.
- Loud for its size (98 dB...same as my 13-amp circular saw.) (See Note 1.)
- - - Alternatives - - -
In many cases, you're better off with a good jigsaw. If you need a small circular saw, check these out:
- Rockwell RK3441K Compact Circular Saw Kit
- Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut Circular Saw
- Makita SH01W 12V max Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-3/8-Inch Circular Saw Kit
- - - Some Specifications - - -
- Blade hole size: 11mm
- Shoe dimensions: 3-3/4"W x 6-5/8"L
- Saw dimensions (approximate): 4-3/8"W x 4-3/4"H x 15"L
- Saw weight: 4 lbs 15-1/2 oz. (includes US500 blade, accessory handle, and 6-1/2 ft. cord)
- Width of cuts in wood (US500 & US-600 blades): 0.08"
- - - Notes - - -
Note 1: Noise measured at 24 inch distance in outdoor grassy area, using a BAFX Products Decibel Meter
. Free-spinning saw...no cutting noise.
~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~