Profile for Oshram > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 117

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Oshram RSS Feed (Lakewood, OH United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Celts: A Very Short Introduction
The Celts: A Very Short Introduction
by Barry W. Cunliffe
Price: $8.93
67 used & new from $4.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick but thorough read, September 11, 2013
This was the first 'Short Introduction' book I'd ever read, and I found it educational and enjoyable. Obviously at a little over 100 pages you're not going to get an in-depth study of the subject, but the material that is here is well-organized and presented and provides an excellent overview of the Celts. I'd recommend this for those who have a casual interest in the subject or want a smart overview; it would be an excellent starting point for further study, but is not, nor is it meant to be, comprehensive. An excellent read.

IMAK Eye Pillow, Black
IMAK Eye Pillow, Black
Price: $12.99
38 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me, September 11, 2013
I read a lot of commentary when choosing a sleep mask and I suggest you do the same. This mask blocks out all light for me and so far, after a month of use, is still quite comfortable. It is a little heavy (as there are tiny beads inside that apparently you can freeze to help with inflammation and pain; I have not needed to try this feature), which some might find off-putting, but I find it extremely comfortable and it blocks all light, for me. I highly recommend it.

Innervisions
Innervisions
Price: $10.00
98 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Stevie's finest albums, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Innervisions (Audio CD)
I decided to take a journey through Stevie Wonder's music from the beginning through the mid-80s, focusing primarily on his strongest period, the early-to-mid-70s. I've encountered many fine albums, but this is among the best; Wonder's growing social concern is reflected in his music, across the album but particularly in the classic "For the City," which is presented in its entirety here (a far different song for those who have only heard the radio edit). The songs here still resonate with emotion and power some four decades on; for those unfamiliar with his glory days, this would be a great place to start.

Kenobi (Star Wars - Legends)
Kenobi (Star Wars - Legends)
by John Jackson Miller
Price: $19.78
76 used & new from $3.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Kenobi between the films, August 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've read a number of Star Wars novels set in varying time periods; I'm hardly an expert or a completist, but I'm familiar enough with the books to have a sizable basis for comparison. Kenobi, by John Jackson Miller, is set immediately after the events of Revenge of the Sith. Our titular hero has just dropped off his swaddled bundle with the Lars and is preparing to settle into his long desert hermitage on Tatooine, not to be disturbed until Luke Skywalker goes looking for the runaway Artoo-Detoo. But twenty years of idleness wouldn't make for much of a story, so instead we get a Jedi Knight alone amongst a group of moisture farmers and a few Sandpeople.

Most of the action centers around Dennar's Claim, a trading post surrounded by a number of small settlements in the middle of nowhere. Aside from our Jedi, the key characters are Annileen Calwell, the owner and proprietor of the trading post, and Orrin Gault, an ambitious farmer and leader of a posse that protects most of the settlements. There's also a running subplot with the Tusken Raiders and a particularly motivated tribal leader of theirs, A'Yark.

While the story takes place in a small area on Tatooine rather than spanning the galaxy, I found the tighter focus and smaller cast a pleasant change for a while. Some of the plotlines are easy to foresee, and there's a bit more detail about Orrin and Annileen's respective children that I cared for or felt necessary; and one of the unavoidable problems with this work is that the reader is always looking around the corner for Obi-Wan whenever he's 'offscreen.' Miller spends much of the early book painting a vivid enough picture of the Claim and its inhabitants, but there's not enough to really sink one's teeth into, and after a while, much like protagonist Annileen, we start to yearn to see other worlds, other vistas.

However, the Tusken Raider plot is exceptionally well done, very creative, and worth reading the rest of the book for; it looms larger as the book goes on, a decided plus. Certainly any Star Wars fan would find enough here to enjoy, and as Obi-Wan is one of my very favorite characters from the trilogy, I was willing to indulge the less interesting parts to spend a little more time with him. Overall I think the book's worth a look, but it probably won't go down as a fan favorite with a cult following, like, say, the Mandalorian books or even Zahn's work.

Compliance (The Dust Chronicles Book 2)
Compliance (The Dust Chronicles Book 2)
by Maureen McGowan
Price: $10.19
49 used & new from $1.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas couched in mediocre prose, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Granted, I'm not the target audience for a YA book, so it's possible this novel went around me. McGowan has some really neat ideas in her 'Dust' world (I read the first book as well) -- many of her characters are engaging or at least interesting, and the setting is compelling. We get glimpses of it in the first book to some extent, but here, we're back in the main city Haven, which just isn't as interesting as the world outside it. I'm also not much of a fan of present tense in fiction; maybe I'm old fashioned, but that kept pulling me out of the story. The major weakness here, other than that, is that the protagonist Glory is less interesting than almost any of the other characters (this hampered my enjoyment of the first book as well); she's sort of whiny and indecisive. There's far too much emphasis on her feelings and inner thoughts for my tastes, but I'm betting that's a staple of the genre. If you're a fan of this genre, I'd certainly recommend it for the intriguing ideas and a few really interesting characters. Obviously you'd need to read 'Deviants', the first novel, before this (this is not stand alone and you'll miss a great deal not having read the first one); the strengths outweigh the weaknesses.

54176 Data Transfer Cable Adapter
54176 Data Transfer Cable Adapter
Offered by Fbsctech(Delivery 7 to 15 business days to U.S.)
Price: $3.51
59 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price, June 20, 2013
I had an external drive that was acting up, and I traced the issue to a faulty cable. Ordered this one; it arrived quickly and solved the problem. Transfer speeds were the same or better as the cable that came with the device, so I'd recommend this cable if you're in the market.

Bedazzled [Blu-ray]
Bedazzled [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Bedazzled
Price: $11.57
28 used & new from $8.14

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie and thrilled it's on blu-ray, but..., June 20, 2013
This review is from: Bedazzled [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
While I'm a huge fan of the original version with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, I liked this one just as much and thought it was inventive, witty, and clever; it's probably Hurley's best role. I greatly anticipated the blu-ray release, but it turned out to be a disappointment. Yes, the film looks crisper than on DVD, as one would expect, but this is a bare-bones release. There are no extras, no commentary -- not even a menu! Pop it in the player and it just starts up. This pales in comparison to the excellent DVD release, which had engaging commentary, deleted scenes, and even a music video with Elliot as a rock star (a wish wholly excised from the film). For fans of the movie, I suppose it's worth getting on blu-ray for the picture quality, but you'll want to keep your old DVD copy as well, certainly, for all the goodies this release should have included but didn't.

The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War
The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War
by Peter Hart
Price: $25.79
59 used & new from $19.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive view of combat in the Great War, May 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Peter Hart delivers exactly what he promises in the title: a thorough history and detailed look at combat during the First World War. Those looking for an overview of the entire war, or an examination of the political causes of the war, would not be poorly served here, but the book focuses on the battlefields and is better as a companion study piece for those strictly, or more deeply, interested in the martial arena of the conflict. I've read several books on WWI and count this among the best of them; Hart's eye for detail, his ability to discuss both (or several) sides of the battles and strategies make for compelling reading. I'd highly recommend it, but not without a caveat or two. Hart tends to lean a little pro-British; he gives credit where credit is due, but he gives a little more credit to his countrymen. No history book is written without a bias, though, and this is hardly a major fault, just something to keep in mind. And I would emphasize, again, this book would be of far greater interest to those (like me) who enjoy the nuts and bolts of strategy and tactics; for those looking for a quicker overview of the war, go elsewhere first -- but do come back here, as this book will add depth and understanding of the conflict to any student of the war. Well worth your money.

Case Logic MLM-114 14.1-Inch Laptop /MacBook Air / Pro Retina Display and iPad Messenger (Black)
Price: $38.28
24 used & new from $37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended, April 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I gave this bag what I felt was a decent breaking-in: taking it back and forth on the bus every day for a month. I found it comfortable to carry, convenient to access, easy to store out of the way (important to me, as my bus gets crowded), and best of all, it protected not only my laptop but my lunch. I'm used to a bit larger bag, but I liked the feel and style of this bag, and again it did an excellent job protecting its contents. I'd certainly choose this if I had to travel extensively with my laptop.

808 Over-The-Ear Stereo Headphones - Gloss White (HPA88WHG)
808 Over-The-Ear Stereo Headphones - Gloss White (HPA88WHG)
Offered by BlueProton
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but uncomfortable, April 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit up front I'm a bit picky when it comes to earphones; great sound is important, but equally so is comfort, as I sometimes choose to wear them for hours, The greatest sound quality in the world means nothing if your ears are pinched after ten minutes, which was exactly the experience I got from these headphones. I enjoyed the sound separation, bass was strong, I was impressed; but after about a quarter of an hour it felt like my head was in a vise, and no amount of shifting them around would mitigate the sensation. I tried these headphones a half-dozen times and was never able to keep them on for more than fifteen minutes without pain in my ears from the tight fit. If you had a small head and small ears, these might do. It's a shame the design is so constricting, as the sound quality really is pretty good. But the best headphones in the world aren't much good if you can't stand having them on your head.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12