Profile for Mick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mick "Buttonguy" RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Theology for Beginners
Theology for Beginners
by Francis Joseph Sheed
Price: $11.55
120 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars For Catholics Only, January 29, 2009
This review is from: Theology for Beginners (Paperback)
This is a pretty good book on Catholic apologetics but very shakey on theology and downright pathetic on Bible understanding.
Good only for Catholics who never pick up and open the Bible.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 8:00 PM PDT

Pilgrim's Progress in Today's English
Pilgrim's Progress in Today's English
by John Bunyan
Price: $9.74
139 used & new from $1.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Really not modern English, January 1, 2009
This version is really not all modern english or at least not conversational english. At times it is very stilted and sounds more like nineteenth century english.
I had heard of Pilgrim's Progress all my life but never bothered to read it until now. After a dozen or so pages I stopped because the story is already known...I see no use in bothering to read it. It was instructional when it was written because so few people had read the Bible but now it's useless.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 12:36 PM PST

Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church
Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church
by Stephen K. Ray
Price: $15.59
76 used & new from $6.53

1.0 out of 5 stars Like All Other Anti-Protestant Books, November 2, 2008
As a Baptist who has been worrying about the future of the Church, I have been toying with the thought that maybe the Catholic church is the right one. Boy, was I ever wrong.
I started reading this book because of the author's background...Baptist... but I soon realized that he is like all the other converts to Catholicism.....very rebellious.
I can forgive him that. But I can't forgive him his unscholarly work.
Something kept bugging me about Romans 3:28 so I went to all my translations of the Bible to see if I could see where "alone" appeared. And good grief, it wasn't there! I can only conclude that Ray must have a very very old copy of Luther's translation. Or maybe he has a copy of the Bible I haven't seen.
But the big issues he left out completely....such as praying to Mary. Yes praying to Mary. Anyone who says that Catholics don't pray to Mary hasn't read through any of their prayer books. And another point he left out...in the catachism of the Chatolic Church it plainly says that the living can pray for the unsaved dead and they will be "saved" and go to be in the presence of God. Read it for youself if you don't think it's in there.
The arguments supporting the Roman Catholic Church are so weak and mangled that they are ridiculous. This book is a prime example of that.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 6:09 PM PDT

The Six Miracles of Calvary: Unveiling the Story of Easter
The Six Miracles of Calvary: Unveiling the Story of Easter
by Wm. R. Nicholson
Price: $7.99
142 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 21, 2008
I expected a much deeper examination of the events of the crucifixion. Everything that was in this book is already known to every studious Christian. Very disappointing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2009 3:03 PM PDT

American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic
American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic
by Joseph J. Ellis
381 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Biased, December 25, 2007
Joseph J. Ellis' American Creation is loaded with his own opinions with some facts sprinkled in for good measure. I don't know where the author was born and raised but the cover flap says he is living in Massachusetts so I assume he is from the New England area. Maybe that would account for his prejudice against Southern Founders like Jefferson and Madison.
You can purchase this book at a local Walmart store and that should tell you somehing right there!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2012 7:42 AM PST

The Acts of the Apostles : A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary
The Acts of the Apostles : A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary
by Ben Witherington
Price: $42.48
54 used & new from $34.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable, December 11, 2007
This is very detailed for a person without a vast seminary education but it is a very readable book. The "closer look" sections are filled with information that makes certain issues in Acts much more understandable. Just an excellent book.

The New Testament: An Expanded Translation
The New Testament: An Expanded Translation
by Kenneth Wuest
Price: $21.17
53 used & new from $15.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Study, February 15, 2007
This version of the New Testament is good if you want to get more detail for certain verses. But it is not good to read as you would the King James or NKJ or NIV or NRSV because the wording (order) is too difficult to follow.

So read it as an aid...but that's all.

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
by Philip Yancey
Price: $18.54
277 used & new from $0.02

1.0 out of 5 stars A Book About Prayer From An Open Theist, November 7, 2006
I won't go into all the reasons why I think this is a very poor book on prayer because there are many. But one glaring example of Yancey"s beliefs can be found in the last sentence of the second paragraph on page 241: "Rarely do we get everything we want, and I imagine the same holds true for God."

Talk about "Open Theism"!

For a truly excellent book on prayer read Answered Prayer Guaranteed! by Frederick K. C. Price.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 9:22 AM PST

Answered Prayer… Guaranteed!: The Power of Praying with Faith
Answered Prayer… Guaranteed!: The Power of Praying with Faith
by Frederick K. C. Price
Price: $17.87
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Prayer Written by a Modern Man, September 16, 2006
I had been having some problems with reconciling my prayer life with the doctrines of my denomination (Baptist) but this book made everything clear and convinced me that I am really correct in what I believe. It should be read by every Christian and if you don't agree with what Dr. Price says then try to find your defense in the pages of the Bible. I don't believe you will find any untruths in this book.

NRSV Ministry/Pew Bible
NRSV Ministry/Pew Bible
by Zondervan
Price: $9.83
88 used & new from $0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars One Good Bible, August 21, 2006
I can see why this Bible was chosen for the churches. Of all the different Bibles I have this one is by far the best and clearest. It's a shame they call it a "pew Bible" because that stops people from having it in their homes where it should be. The print, the pages, the binding are excellent. Just an excellent Bible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4