Profile for David A. Detweiler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David A. Detweiler "VetRad" RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA USA)

Matchbox Toys 1947-2003: Identification & Value Guide, 4th Edition
Matchbox Toys 1947-2003: Identification & Value Guide, 4th Edition
by Dana Johnson
29 used & new from $22.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Matchbox collecting supplement, not a necessity, October 9, 2005
I collect superfast Matchbox from 1969-present. This book only lists 1-75 (1/64th scale) Matchbox cars which is fine for my use. It is good becasue it lists all models in alphabetical order so you can cross-reference the number (1-75) of the model - most model numbers are not imprinted on late model cars so it is helpful in that respect. However, I found it lacking in the number of variations it listed. There is no consistent differentiation between wheel type (other than RW and SF), interior color, stickers/decals or other minor variations. This guide does not use the same numbering system as Charlie Mack's Encyclopedia (e.g. 14 A 3) making it difficult to have the references compliment each other. This guide does list more recent models where as Charlie Mack's guide is typically long overdue when a new edition comes out. But again, this one is not as complete regarding model variation so you may not know if you are collecting all the variations of a particular model you want in your collection. Another positive point of this book though is that not all pictures are of perfect cars -- the cars in the photos have a little play wear and is more reflective a practical collectors cars rather than some ideal collection most of us will never have. Lastly, in comparison to Charlie Mack's guide, I find it nice becasue most of this book does dedicate it's picture space to the 1-75 models. One of the dissappointments I have found with Mr. Mack's guide is that it lists a lot of subtle variation (i.e. light blue, mid blue and dark blue Soopa Coopa) but does not show pictures on how to tell the difference (neither does this one -- it doesn't even try to differentiate). Also, much of the picture space in Mr. Mack's guide is with models that no one I know really collects (i.e. NOT 1-75 series, super kings and models of yesteryear). I'm still not sure where 1/2 of the pics in Charlie Macks book come from (I've been collecting MB superfast for 20 years) -- perhaps thats why it is called an encyclopedia. Dana Johnson's book simplifies things but does not take it to the next level by any means.

Basically, I use Dana Johnson's book as a supplement to find model numbers so I can look up varaitions in late model cars in Charlie Mack's guide. I do think Mr. Macks guide can be too complete, in that it lists more model variations than most people can possibly collect. However, Dana Johnson's guide is too incomplete. I prefer Mr. Macks guide becasue it lists all known variations and allows me to decide which variations I think are significant to collect.

Behind the Wheel Spanish/Complete Illustrated Text/Answer Keys/8 One Hour
Behind the Wheel Spanish/Complete Illustrated Text/Answer Keys/8 One Hour
by Mark Frobose
Edition: Audio CD
9 used & new from $34.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you commute? Want to learn Spanish? This is for you!, April 13, 2005
I hope to learn Spanish to help me get around (and avoid fines or jail) when I drive from California to the southern tip of Argentina -- a dream that keeps me going during my busy working schedule. Whatever your motivation to learn Spanish, this is a great introductory Spanish lesson which produces results when you listen (and reply) as you sip coffee during your drive to work.

I have owned these CD's for about 6 weeks. I am on disc 3 of 8. I already feel like I could get around in the touristy part of Mexico without problem. I cannot speak perfectly, but I can communicate the important things (beer, tequila, food, weather, time, locations, finding things, etc). I have listened to each of these first 3 CD's about 5 times and I am about ready to self-promote myself to the 4th.

I would have promoted myself to the 3rd CD sooner however it would not play properly, it seemed to have an error in the original recording. I emailed the folks who market this program (at [...]) with my problem. Within 24 hours they emailed me back saying a new CD3 was en route - no questions asked.

There are a few native Mexican people I work with. I like to practice Spanish with them by asking basic things such as, "I would like some coffee, do you want some too?". Both have complimented me on my pronounciation, which I attribute to the Cd's in this program. This is the only formal Spanish training I have had. I am the most white/European guy you can imagine, this was quite a compliment to me.

As with any language course, the time you put into it will reflect what you get out of it. I have not tried any of the other Spanish courses out there. I found my time was efficently spent in listening to these CD's and there was very little time I was rolling my eyes hoping they would move on to another subject.

In short, I think this is a great way to learn Spanish in your car. I found it efficient, easy to listen to and the customer service was great. I work 6-7 days per week and have 2 kids, I would not take the time to write this if I did not truely mean it. The only significant fault I can think of is that it does not teach you how to say "beer". However Luis (the Mexican speaker on the tapes) does seem to have a taste for tequila...