Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Mad_Jaguar > Reviews

Browse

Mad_Jaguar's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mad_Jaguar "skullcruncher" RSS Feed (Tuskegee, AL)

Page: 1 | 2
The Best of Minnie Riperton
The Best of Minnie Riperton
Price: $7.99
126 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Voices Ever, April 24, 2005
Maybe it's Mariah's high pitches that draws those comparisons, but I agree, there is no comparing Riperton and Mariah.

Few things I vaguely remember as a young child, one of them is hearing, the hook to Riperton's "Loving You"! I was very very young when she died, and though I only heard very little of her material afterwards, but hearing what little I heard, I felt had she lived, she would of made a huge impact in the world of R&B. Riperton has one of the best voices ever, and I am a music junkie, she's up there with Patti LaBelle, Mahalia Jackson, Etta James, to name a few. And I think the guys at VH-1 are on crack naming her a one hit wonder, but then VH-1 has really fallen of as of late.

It was hearing various remakes of "Inside My Love", that made finally get up and search for any Minnie Riperton CD, my search led me to this one. "Inside My Love" is my favorite Riperton track of all, with the duet w/ Jose Felincio (sp), "Light My Fire", in a close second.

I reccomend anyone into good music, quality music to pick up this CD or any Riperton CD out there. As I said before, she is one of the greatest vocalist ever.

A Nu Day
A Nu Day
Offered by Bridge_Media
Price: $12.93
107 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed, March 14, 2005
This review is from: A Nu Day (Audio CD)
What makes the album bearable? Tamia's lovely vocals, her ability to belt out a track is a thing of beauty. She is no doubt my favorite singer right now.

Why is this album bad? The production. The over producing or lack there of, take your pick, really brought Tamia down. Only two songs stand out, "Stranger In My House", which isn't all that great and the remake "Love Me In A Special Way", which makes every other song on this album sound elementary.

Maybe it was high hopes, after all, I loved her self titled debut, and been in love with her since "You Put A Move On My Heart" dropped in '95. "Nu Day", is a definate pass.

This Moment Is Mine
This Moment Is Mine
Offered by Argos Media Corp.
Price: $29.62
80 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Say It Ain't So , Chante?????, March 14, 2005
This review is from: This Moment Is Mine (Audio CD)
Simply put it, Chante wanted to go mainstream and put togetther this car wreck of a CD, and got some okay results. That inspired her to follow up with that crappy CD "Exposed", in which her career has yet to recover from. But enough with that.

The okay results, were the first two released tracks, "Chante's Got A Man" and "I See You In A Different Light" (duet with JoJo Hailey). These two tracks are definately different from her previous work, and yes they come off well, especially the duet with JoJo. She got a nice buzz from that. But neither track did nothing to help this album stand out or side by side with "Precious" and "A Love Supreme".

The experiment goes wrong with the tracks laced by Jerkins and Dupri., especially the Jerkins produced "If A Gave Love", which starts off sounding like Brandy & Monica's, "The Boy Is Mine" and then rips off Jennifer Lopez's "If You Had My Love", (now I heard of beat jacking, but knowing that Jerkins produced all three of these tracks, this here takes the cake, that and finishing what was left of Michael Jackson's musical career).

YUCK!!!!, I mean Chante is 100 times more talented than all three of those women and Rodney Jerkins combined, needless to say I always skip that track. "Heartbeat", wasn't helping matters either, then there's "I've Got The Love" and "I Started Crying" (me too @ 13.99 plus tax I will never have again), and now I'm ready to trash this CD. Mainstream isn't worth all of this.

But then came tracks like "Easy", "I Cry To Myself", "In My Life", "Love And The Woman", and "This Moment Is Mine", which saves the album from the pits of suckdom. This where Chante shines, and shows why fans care about her. In all, I say it's a good CD, but you know deep inside you could have gotten better.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

Love Deluxe
Love Deluxe
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $10.58
72 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Superb Gem from Adu and Crew!!!!!, March 13, 2005
This review is from: Love Deluxe (Audio CD)
I wish I could give it 4 3/4 stars, this is an outstanding album, but falls short of being as good as "Promise".

Vocally this is Sade at her best, however the others steal the spotlight on the majority of the songs. "No Ordinary Love" and "Kiss of Life" are classic Sade songs, while "No Ordinary Love" follows the melancholy formula the band is infamous for, "Kiss of Life" follows the formula of previous classics like "Smooth Operator" and "Sweetest Taboo", but this time, well for me, I can call this a genuine Sade love ballad, a rarity in my books. I brought those two tracks up, because on these two, the vocalist and the band flow like a summer breeze. On "Pearls" and "Feel No Pain", Sade is all preachy and clearly gets her message out and doesn't overdo it, like other artist who make you scream, "we get the picture". Again, the vocalist and band flow nicely together. My favorite track on the entire album, is "Bullet Proof Soul", just an all around nice cut.

The rest, it's all the band. Sade blesses "Cherish The Day" lovely, but the guy on bass is blessing it so much better to the point that I want Sade to stop singing. Same goes for "I Couldn't Love You More, where Sade isn't outshined so much, but again the other guys are the real stars. The band raps things up with "Mermaids", just them this time, maybe Sade was like, "Screw it, just do your thing guys." Mermaid falls short of "Siempre Hay Esperanza" and "Punch Drunk", but I was far from disappointed.

I noticed that on this album they kept it safe, which is good, but nothing groundbreaking, nothing new. Just updated Sade joints, which is always good, but looking back, that would be the only drawback to this album, outside of the band outshing the vocalist, that should always balance out.

In conclusion, this is another solid gem from Sade. If you don't have it, stop reading this and get it fool!

Promise
Promise
Offered by Media Medley
Price: $10.94
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Sade Album of All Time, March 13, 2005
This review is from: Promise (Audio CD)
From "Is It A Crime?" to "Maureen", there's nothing on this album that I don't like. Like it's predacessor, "Diamond Life", the entire album has a melancholy feel to it, but this has quite a few tracks you can relax too, but minus love ballad, well a solid one, in my opinion, not that it matters, a genuine love ballad would of killed the entire mood of the album.

Vocally Sade is at her best, until "Love Deluxe" came out. The rest of the band was superb as always, but unlike the other albums, they didn't outshine the vocalists and didn't take a step back when they were needed most (That was the feeling I got on "Lover's Rock"). Everything on this album is as close to perfect.

Favorite tracks include, the jazz/blues-like track, "Is It A Crime" (Do not listen to this track, if you've broken up with your girl/guy, and can't get them out of your head). Another one, of course is "Sweetest Taboo" (not a ballad), up tempo love song playas can dig. "Fear", "War of the Hearts", the super depressing "Maureen", and "Punch Drunk" are some of the other strong tracks on here.

This album is a must have for any die hard fan. I gave this one 5 stars because it stands above all the other classic Sade albums. Promise is to the Sade collection, what the Black Lion is to Voltron. So if this album isn't in your collection, get it.

Stronger Than Pride
Stronger Than Pride
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $11.55
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album That's Lost With The Bands Other Classics., March 13, 2005
This review is from: Stronger Than Pride (Audio CD)
What do I mean by band? For those living in caves, hopefully you know that Sade is a band, that bares the lead singers first name.

Stronger Than Pride, went a different route than the band's previous two albums, "Diamond Life" and "Promise". The first two were more melancholy, the mood here was subliminaly psycho happy to drunk depressing, I never recommend Sade albums for those down on their luck. This one is an insane downer, keep this album from those who are chemically unbalanced.

Musically, this was about as strong as "Promise", lyrics were okayish, not the greatest of all the Sade albums, but better than alot of stuff I've heard past and present. Favorite Tracks include the rare upbeat "To Turn My Back On You", "Paradise", the depressing "Love Is Stronger Than Pride", and the so depressing that you hit the bottle "Clean Heart". The track the outshines them all is the final track and one of my top ten Sade tracks "Siempre Hay Esperanza", Sade is not singing here, but the rest of the band cuts loose. If I was to make my own Sade CD, this track would definately be on there.

If you are a Sade fan and don't have this album in your collection, I would advise you to pick this one up. It very well may be the weaker of all Sade albums, but it's very solid and stands on its own, compared to the others, "Siempre Hay Esperanza" alone is enough to pick this album up.

Contraband
Contraband
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $4.99
242 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5, November 14, 2004
This review is from: Contraband (Audio CD)
My real rating for Contraband is 4.5.

First off, I didn't expect this to sound like GNR or STP, and if it did, that would of been a huge trainwreck. I missed those two bands, but I have to put things in perspective. Yet, like everyone else their pasts was why I got the album.

The star here is Scott Weiland as he almost bares his soul in each and every song, especially in the songs "Falling To Pieces", "You Got No Right", and "Loving the Alien".

This falls short of 5 because there's nothing innovating and different. Slash, Duff and company are solid, but I expected something a little edgier and dirty. That's small and forgettable stuff though. Guitar solos were mainly on point, but short of making an idiot of myself as if I was playing the guitar. That's how I am, I'm quick to do that on a guitar solo I like, in any genre of music.

My favorite tracks, "Slither", "Sucker Train Blues", "Illegal i Song", and previously mentioned "Loving The Alien".

This is a solid gem, falls short of a classic.

Beautifully Human
Beautifully Human
Price: $10.63
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Done!!!!, September 19, 2004
This review is from: Beautifully Human (Audio CD)
She returns after a four year hiatus. First thing I like about this album, is that it clearly sounds from the first, without Jill abandoning what brought her to the dance. The album doesn't sound like an extension of her debut, so thumbs up for that.

Second thing, the direction of the album is all spiritually positive and upbeat for the most part. Not to say her debut wasn't, but the second seemed to steer away from the drama of a say "Slowly Surely" and in its place is a "Spring Summer Feeling". It comes off well and doesn't do what so many sophmore albums have done and sound like an extension of the first.

Last, I noticed Jill is more preachy here. No subliminal message or breaking down verses here, Jill is bold and to the point on tracks like "Rasool" and The Fact Is (I Need You), my favorite track. I heard songs like these a million times and 90% of them suck, what makes Jill different from the others is her delivery, not so much in style, but a Mercedes versus your other luxury car kind of delivery. You actually want to hear her sing it.

Please people, don't sleep on this gem. With all the crap polluting the airwaves and TV, we need more artist like Jill Scott not only to bring something refreshing, but to remind us why we are all fans of music period.

The Diary of Alicia Keys
The Diary of Alicia Keys
Offered by Doremi Music USA
Price: $7.94
342 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, Could of been better, August 5, 2004
I've had time to digest this album. First off, the album as a whole is worth the purchase. Songs like "Diary", "Dragon Days", and "If I Was Your Woman" are some of the albums gems. While songs like "You Don't Know My Name", and "If I Ain't Got You" will join tracks from her last album like "Fallen", as a staple of her unique sound. The more she matures, ventures out into different things, she will quickly develope a style, where music fans can say "That's Alicia"!

My gripe are with the first three full tracks. They just didn't work. Other than that, great follow up!

WWF WrestleMania X8
WWF WrestleMania X8
DVD ~ Hulk Hogan
22 used & new from $11.65

2.0 out of 5 stars All Hype, Mediocre Action, Lame Wrestlemania, August 1, 2004
This review is from: WWF WrestleMania X8 (DVD)
Wrestlemania X-8 capped off, what was one of the most disappointing series in WWE history. Starting from Invasion all the way to here, WWE had the chance to capitalize on new talent and fresh faces and bring fans of both WCW and ECW. It was ripe for the pickings, despite losing the likes of Triple H, Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, and Rhyno, they had enough talent to do it. Yet, Vinces stubborness, a crappy writing team, and politics ruined it and it continues to this day. Even bright spots in between, like Rock-Jericho feud, RVD's popularity, Austin-Angle fued, Jericho's emergence as a top tier guy, would go down the stool. In return, we got the return of Golden Oldies like Flair, Hogan, Henning, and The Outsiders, while pushes went to the same ol' faces of Undertaker, Austin, Rock, and Triple H. X-8 also succeeded X-Seven, but this time the fans really didn't care too much about the product as a whole, notice the crowd was only alive and kicking for one match, only one match where it really felt like Wrestlemania.

The Good
Rock vs. Hulk Hogan
This is that one match I was talking about. Nostalgia had taken over. The booking didn't play to the strengths of neither man, but the two did well in making it past vs. present, and the selling of the story was done well. The Toronto crowd made it memorable as well. Being a bad match goes out the window here, it's all about seeing two great icons in the ring, after critics said it would never happen.

Undertaker vs. Ric Flair
This was the match of the night, wrestling wise. This was all about Flair fighting for honor and respectability, after Taker, "rightfully", went after him. Check out No Way Out 2002, for the story there, better yet, no, that PPV stunk. So here it is, Flair interfered in Taker's match with the Rock at No Way Out, costing him that match. Taker responded by challenging Flair to a match, Flair chickened out, so Taker took matters into his own hand by kicking his best friend, Arn Anderson, but then his son, David's, [...]. Taker told Flair he'd continue the onslaught until he got a yes, Flair agreed, but in doing so, lost control of his 50% ownership, to his partner Vinny Mac, who made it a no DQ match. Which led to Taker kicking Flair's [...] here and going 10-0 at Wrestlemania.

The Mediocre
RVD vs. William Regal
Styles clashed badly, but the right person went over.

Triple H vs. Chris Jericho
No one bought this contrite storyline, that mainly involved Triple H and Steph. Triple H finished off making Jericho look like a useless champion here. The match was totally boring, JR was irritating making it soundas if it was Triple H's last match.

Booker T vs. Edge
The sign in the crowd said it best, they were fighting over shampoo. Booker tried, but Edge just wasn't impressive here.

DDP vs. Christian
What did Christian do to deserve that? Chrisitan tried, but it's DDP!

Kurt Angle vs. Kane
This could of been good, but Angle had an off night, and Kane just wasn't feeling it. Not bad, but can't call it a good match either.

Billy and Chuck vs. The APA vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz
Same ol' Hardyz vs. Dudleyz saved this from being bad, but your asking for miracles for Matt Hardy and the Dudleys to help five repetitive(Jeff Hardy), boring (Billy Gunn), unmotivated (Bradshaw), talentless slugs (Farooq & Palumbo)to do anything. The good thing was Saliva's performing the Dudleys entrance music.

Jazz vs. Lita vs. Trish
Trish was almost there, and Lita was Lita, so you could throw out anything sound and strong here. Leaving Jazz to do the majority of the work here. Jazz is good, but she's not Molly Holly.

The Bad
Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall
nWo angle was doomed from the start, as Vince was unwilling to let the nWo run wild on his stars. Nash was at ringside meaning the match was locked up for suckdom before the bell rung. Austin was in decline here and Hall was totally useless here. This was so bad, that Austin walked out the next night on Raw, he was forgiven for that one there, before doing it again three months later. Hall was fired not too long afterwards, Nash broke his leg not too long afterwards and sat on his [...] for a long time, before coming back and adding absolutely nothing, but that's another story.

Maven vs. Goldust
Same ol hardcore junk, that had gotten silly to downright stupid. Hurricane and Mighty Molly's bit is funny though!

Extra's
Same useless stuff, but then here's the real reason to get this DVD. Vince's interview on Byte This which was intresting and the Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior match from Wrestlemania VI.

I'd get it just for a Wrestlemania collection, but as far as Wrestlemania's go, this one is pretty blahzay!

Page: 1 | 2