Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Dan Celli,X,DJ.Cartoonist/Author > Reviews

Browse

Dan Celli,X,DJ.C...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 125

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dan Celli,X,DJ.Cartoonist/Author "CELLI" RSS Feed (SAN FRANCISCO,CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Elegiac Cycles
Elegiac Cycles
Price: $11.49
80 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars "THIS MAY BE THE BEST IMPROVISED SOLO PIANO PERFORMANCE I'VE EVER HEARD !!! ", August 11, 2012
This review is from: Elegiac Cycles (Audio CD)
Every now and then I think, are all these complex notes being played,are they written out ? It sound's like a classical & Jazz recital combined,but, more complex than any classical piece I'm ever heard. I have at least 30 jazz /Classical solo piano recording's;Tatum,Johnny Costa,Pascal Roge, Alicia Della Rocha etc. How can it get better than this;use of the sustain & soft pedal with out blurring the notes except when creating a middle or lower register growl and is also buoyant in his approach. The left hand is not an after thought here, but an equal partner in his music. Both hand's are confident and know where their going at ALL times. There is pathos,reflectiveness & romantic tones,and some joy.
In the booklet, BRAD MEHLDAU expresses his philosophy on life & music. As I'm typing this review,his music is coming through my headphones and confirms what I have just expressed in print. Time:56:49 Steinway.

Accordion a La Mode / Perfect Match
Accordion a La Mode / Perfect Match
Price: $10.99
27 used & new from $4.05

5.0 out of 5 stars "ACCORDION JAZZ LITE", July 15, 2012
The 5th star is for Art's guest on the 2nd Album:Guitarist;JOHNNY SMITH. (I also recommend Smith with Getz) Every tune is under 4;04 minutes. The group is well organized;Tight arrangement's,The unison Shearing sound; accordion replacing the piano. Mostly well known standard's. His regular group are;Vibes;Charlie Calzaneta,Fred Rundquist;Guitar,Bass;Lon Skalinder,Drums;Max Mariashon. Sometimes I like to listen to some lite jazz. After all, I can't listen to Archie Shepp,Coltrane and Cecil Taylor ALL the time . . .
Another accordionist that's an excellent jazz improviser is Matt Mathews. Another recommendation;Carman McRea with Matt Mathews.
But this 5 star CD will do for now. P.S. The Stereo is done in 50's style;Ping Pong (Accordion in one speaker,Guitar in the other etc. It sound's ok, but, if you switch on 'ambience', that might help. 24 selections in 71;23.

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Price: $14.99
80 used & new from $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars "OF COURSE IT'S 5 STAR'S !!!!", July 6, 2012
The latter part of 1957 is when Trane COMPLETED his first style of improversation and this is the result;excellence!!! So is monk and the rest of the rhythm section. I've seen Trane in 59 with Miles/Cannonball,Wynton,Paul,Cobb; (Still living). And Trane in the early 60's,also Monk in the early 60's on separate gig's. Their together here in a live recording which is a CLASSIC!!! If you're stranded on an Island with your portable CD player, with an unending amount of batteries, you won't be lonely, you'll be Jazz Happy!!!

Rage To Survive: The Etta James Story
Rage To Survive: The Etta James Story
by Etta James
Price: $15.39
67 used & new from $8.60

5.0 out of 5 stars " . .I COULDN'T PUT THE BOOK DOWN ! ! ! ", April 11, 2012
What a life! If you can call it that. Stabbing's,beating's, Con job's, shooting's,shooting up + too much more . These stories overwhelm the stories of her singing career. She wanted drama and got it in truck load's! Besides South L.A., she lived in the Fillmore (San Francisco) where Johnny Otis discovered her. One of her singing buddy's is SugarPie DeSanto which a friend of mine was close to her, way back. On my show I played;"Maybe you'll be there" & "I don't feel sorry" are classic's by Sugarpie. Etta&SugarPie recorded their duo's on the Don Barksdale's Rhythm label. I had listened to all these great singer's she associated with, Jessie Belvin,Little Willie John,Richard Berry ("Louie Louie"),Chuck Berry,Tina Turner,Aretha Franklin,Sly Stone and on and on, The cream of the Crop of R&B and beyond. Minnesota Fat's may have been her PaPa? He would hang out with Willie Best the actor ("High Sierra" etc.) She talks about her singing ballad's with string's and her tough bluesy side. She Idolized her mother, but, wasn't there much. Another woman that was more of a mother than the real one was;Momma Lou , There is too much to tell here. There are ton's and ton's more stories here,within these pages ! ! !

Art Attack
Art Attack
29 used & new from $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars "THE JAZZ RICHES OF MADELINE'S MUSIC", April 10, 2012
This review is from: Art Attack (Audio CD)
Since the 80's I have seen her perform at least 7 or 8 times with a big band (Full,Faith&Credit) and smaller group's,and it was alway's worth it for me to get off the couch and see/hear her in-person. I don't have the energy to name every name;composer's,her musician's that are a bonus to fill out the album. Guest's are Kenny Barron,Turtle island string 4tet. You have a sampler here to hear this true Jazz singer. I got a kick out of these favorite funny song's like Blossom Dearie's;
"I Like you.... because you don't make me nervous.... "The Telephone song" (Boscoli/Gimpel) Everything is %100 here. Monk's;"Evidence" with lyric's.+ great Standard's.
Here scatting is excellent. I know her jazz singing Buddy Kitty Margolas (sic) is an excellent at scatting,But for all those year's of seeing Eastman perform, I had never heard her scat. Thank god she didn't make me cringe like so many have tried and have failed in my opinion. Madeline Eastman is a complete jazz singer !!!

Double Exposure
Double Exposure
Price: $17.80
29 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars "THE HIGH MUSICAL STANDARDS OF FRANK D'RONE", March 22, 2012
This review is from: Double Exposure (Audio CD)
FRANK D'RONE DIED OCT 3,2013 AT 81. THIS ALBUM IS ONE OF HIS BEST !!!!
I check for tone,sustainability of a high and long note,modulation,believability of the lyric he's singing,the song choice,arranger/conductor;Phil Kelly and the featured soloist's from this 17 piece orchestra which backs up D'Rone on 6 tracks. His guitar accompanist/improviser with a full tone that belongs with the voice (5 tracks).

I asked him on Facebook,that I wished He would record someday,"Speak Low" which he said is on this album.
My favorite versions of this song (weill&Nash) are done by D'Rone, Jackie Ryan and Michael Crawford.
"Dancing on the Ceiling" (Rodgers&hart) reminds me of the first time I heard this song, which was sung by the late Jeannie Hoffman on her debut album on Fantasy, recorded in 1958. Another great version of that song is here on this cd. I'm going to stop here,enough said. everything here is ***** 's ! ! ! ! ( A bit over 47 worth it minutes. )

Power of the Piano
Power of the Piano
Price: $16.40
33 used & new from $3.05

4.0 out of 5 stars 'I GOT MY MUSIC TEACHER DAVE FRANK SOLO JAZZ PIANO FIX", February 15, 2012
This review is from: Power of the Piano (Audio CD)
He's across between Denny Zeitlin,Tristano,George Winston and Bill Evens(Ballads). I would have given this CD 5 star's but,6 tunes with walking/running bass notes which is too much for my taste. The Tribute to Tristano I find applicable though.
In 1995, he won a jazz performance contest on the BET network playing "Songbird" which is called,"Indian Summer" here.
A few tunes here are based on the chord changes of well known standard's. One none Dave Frank composition is "How Insensitive"; is played with humor. You will hear the laughter after the tune.
15 tracks from2:32 to 6:10, Total:44 minutes. Recorded in 1997. Debut CD. Piano:Yamaha C-7

Polaroid PIC-300 Instant Film Camera (Red)
Polaroid PIC-300 Instant Film Camera (Red)
Offered by GadgetBasket
Price: $79.99
13 used & new from $64.95

3.0 out of 5 stars "THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR NOT READING THE REVIEWS FIRST.", January 10, 2012
The photo's are the size 3x2 which is comparable to pictures from a photo booth. If you blow them up from your printer it will not be as clear as the original. But, if your not fussy,it's passable. There are provisions for cloudy,sunny,shady etc.
General shooting range is approximately,6m.The flash,flashes all the time,so don't pose anyone in front of a mirror.
So, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it ! P.S. PIC 300 IS THE FILM TO USE WHICH COMES WITH THE CAMERA. PIC 300R IS THE NUMBERS FOR THE CAMERA ALONE.
I JUST RECEIVED MORE FILM FROM AMAZON WHICH I ORDERED 3 DAY'S AGO. 9/6/2013

Bits And Pieces / The Glory Of Love [ORIGINAL RECORDINGS REMASTERED]
Bits And Pieces / The Glory Of Love [ORIGINAL RECORDINGS REMASTERED]
Price: $12.79
26 used & new from $8.44

5.0 out of 5 stars "JACKIE&ROY ,ARE THE BEST", December 15, 2011
The "BIT'S AND PIECES", Is Roy's band (Maybe, 12 musicians) He may have borrowed some of the guy's from Quincy's Orchestra? It includes Phil Woods,Art Farmer,Anthony Ortega, the rest, they don't mention. The liner notes may have been written by Jimmy (Monterey Jazz festival)Lyons.
Some of the arranger's;Wilkins,Quincy,Ralph Burns,Holman,Kral. Some wordless vocals and ones with lyric's ,"Whisper Not',"Walking" etc. It's a very good album.
'GLORY OF LOVE" is a CLASSIC ! ! ! My cousin recorded radio station;KROW in San Francisco in 1957 with a disc recorder,and they played jazz and the pop music of that time. One of the song's on the disc was "You Inspire Me", my cousin and I thought the lines;"I'll slime down my hip's for you","I'll name a cigar for you" we're funny. At that time,we were 16 year's old and thought every thing was funny. A few year's later, I bought the LP and ALL the other song's were great. I had never heard music with so many clever lyric's all through out the album with so much humor before. Some of the song's are "You Inspire me","Glory of love","Let's get away from it all","Love is sweeping the country" etc . Some of the composer's are Dennis/Adair,Landesman/Wolf,Porter,Troup,Gershwin,Wilder,Golson + more.
By the way, KROW had DJ's;Pat Henry (Who started KJAZ. The first commercial fm jazz station ) and The funny Dick Whittington.
I was lucky enough to see, year's ago, J&R at the American Music Hall with the funny Dave Frishberg as an opening act. I'm lucky enough to have a 58 minute video of them from a 1980 performance . I highly recommend this over 74 minutes, 22 track's, Jackie and Roy CD.
P.S. They don't mention the rhythm section ("GLORY OF LOVE") I do remember, Barry Galbraith is on guitar. In my opinion, ALL musicians should be listed. Don't leave them out. It's not fair to them.

4 Classic Albums - Shorty Rogers - Express / Giants / Wherever 5 Winds Blow / Chances
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $14.84
28 used & new from $7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars 'GREAT DEAL FOR SHORTY ROGERS FANS ! ! ! ", December 12, 2011
I had a friend that was mostly depressed, except when he played Shorty Rogers big bands sounds, blasting out of his one big hi-fi speaker, then he would transform him self into the happiest guy in town ! Shorty's,Robert Allen's, and others compositions and arrangements are some of the most cheerful sounding jazz you'll ever hear ! 4 ALBUMS ON 2 CD'S THAT ADD UP TO CLOSE TO 2 HOUR'S AND 40 MINUTES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE CD ! ! ! Featuring;Sweets Edison,Maynard Ferguson,Condoli Brothers,Milt Bernhart,Rosolino,Shank,Art (Salt)Pepper,Charlie Mariano,Giuffre,Lou Levy,Hampton Hawes,Pete Jolly,John Graas,Kessel,Norvo,and too much MORE to name.
I was lucky enough to see some of these guy's at the Monterey Jazz fest in 1991. Some of them are gone now, but, left us a nice Jazz legacy.
There is just one quartet album and it is almost like listening to jazz in the style of Bach (reworking a certain group of notes for the most part.)
Giuffre does his low register clarinet sound. By the way, you can see him in the movie;"Jazz on a Summer's day" on tenor sax. ( The first 1958 outdoor Newport jazz concert,CLASSIC movie.) That film is a MUST for jazz fan's;Anita O'Day,Dinah Washington,Chico,Mulligan,Farmer,Dolphy,Katz,Stitt,Monk,Armstrong,Teagardan and again, too much MORE to name.
Some of the big band sound's I like here are;"Bunny"( Beautiful ballad with the help of the wonderful alto solo by Art Pepper.) "Tail of the African Lobster", That famous arrangement of "It's Not For Me To Say","Short Stop" which you can see the guy's in a little segment in the movie;"Dementia" ( Daughter of Death ") A couple of tunes have some shades of "The Wild One" score. Of course Shorty had something to do with that music.
On 2/1/85 Sat,12 am on KSFO 560 AM on Al (Jazzbeaux) Collins show,Shorty said;"After working in the studio's for a long time, I got the hunger in my heart to play Jazz again, because it's rewarding and it feels good." And Jazzbeaux replies;"It's a calling , man !"
IT SURE IS ! ! !

P.S. There are many 4 Album's in 1 or 2 cd's for the price of 1 cd;Sonny Stitt,Sonny Rollin's,Clifford Brown etc. The other day, I got 8 Red Garland album's in one thick jewel box for $17.57

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13