Profile for Bill McLean > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 734

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bill McLean "Trust but verify. ." RSS Feed (The Land of Reason)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
by Shane Harris
Price: $20.27

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AWAKENING OF THE MILITANT KIND, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The author, Shane Harris, is a seasoned foreign policy reporter with years of experience tracking activities on the internet. @War The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex explores cyber hacking as relevant to world peace and national security.

Note that I have only an advance reading copy but I expect that after editing, and last minute updates, the finished work will differ only slightly. Note also that I am only a poorly schooled reader, not a writer.

While reading this book I often wondered if the author was not revealing classified information. His descriptions being in such detail, naming names of people and project names, along with comparative analysis--it makes for scary reading. And to see how terribly behind the United States is currently--that is really alarming. But current steps, as covered, point to not only solutions to current threats, but also possible world leadership in the quest for world peace.

This book is a must read for anyone interested in the direction the world, and especially these United States, is daring to take - the hopes, the opportunities, and the dangers.

Avast Free Antivirus 2015 [Download]
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 [Download]
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars AN INTERESTING MARKETING PLOY., October 24, 2014
This free internet security program is only part of an internet security program. A vital part, but still only a part. It works very nicely. I have installed it on two computers. On one, as expected, there was no threats found. I did expect some threats on the other, and avast! Free Antivirus 2014 did find them and did neutralize them.

But here is the thing that bothers me: downloading the rest of the program is presently going for just under $20.00 for each computer download. If you have more than one computer, each one will cost twenty bucks! I have not purchased it, but I do expect the pay for downloads will be as good as the free download. Some of those who have paid for this have stated satisfaction. I have nothing to say about program update maintenance, but they have done well so far.

H2H Mens Basic Knitted Turtleneck Pullover Sweaters of Various Colors BEIGE Asia 2XL (KMTTL028)
Offered by H2H
Price: $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY CLOTHING WITHOUT TRYING IT ON, October 22, 2014
This turtleneck sweater is of excellent quality for the price. The problem this time is that it doesn't fit properly. This kind of problem is amplified by manufacturers who want to sell clothing to the West and use sizes designed for Chinese people. I have given it 3-STARS because it can be used as an extra under layer on cold weather. It just is too loose fitting to wear as a separate item of upper body apparel.

I have also had problems from other Chinese sellers with quality, wrong gender product, and hidden defects. Once I got sweat pants that looked fine at first, but had accidental caustic splash (Clorox droplets?) that took a few days to appear (before being put in service.)

I have a great deal of respect for the Chinese people, but thrashing out trade problems that take weeks, well, I just find this to be unsatisfactory. I'm no longer a buyer of mail order clothing.

Trigger Point Performance The Grid Revolutionary Foam Roller, Black
Trigger Point Performance The Grid Revolutionary Foam Roller, Black
Price: $37.00
48 used & new from $32.19

5.0 out of 5 stars REVOLUTIONARY MAY BE THE RIGHT WORD, October 20, 2014
First note that I'm 76 and simply cannot take full advantage of this device. However, the roller is helpful to massage areas previously unavailable to me. The roller employs my own weight to give me meaningful full spinal massage. This one use warrants my giving it 5-STARS. As I have aged, I am starting to get that humped over posture. In my case this problem is amplified by an old gymnasium accident that compressed some vertebra in my upper spine. (I had to wear a back brace for one full year.)

Anyway, for the rest of you, this rather novel piece of equipment can be helpful in stimulating vascular improvement all over the body. It is well made and should last at least one whole lifetime.

I have not yet visited the advertised website, but I believe it contains not only other offerings of this type of equipment, but also useful video demonstrations of their use.

All that said, I think I would be better off today If I had this piece of equipment when I was younger. I'm sure glad to have it now.

DURACELL AAA PROCELL Professional Alkaline Battery (Box of 24)
DURACELL AAA PROCELL Professional Alkaline Battery (Box of 24)
Offered by Empire Depot
Price: $10.45
21 used & new from $0.47

4.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS GOOD, October 10, 2014
Well known brand, rated professional, very reasonable price, what else exists?

If it later disappoints, I'll be back.

Solar Power your Boat, Camper or RV - Solar Charge your Batteries for Free Absolutely Anywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars OFF THE GRID AND INTO THE WORLD, October 10, 2014
The author, Paul Bowden, has given us a very clear beginners lesson and reference guide. It is a rather short book - actually a booklet. But I am following his advise exactly. My purpose and plans differ from his, but the information given is quite sufficient for just about anyone to start out doing their own thing - without having to pay for flubs.

As I started reading the first few pages, I was feeling that the author was treating readers like babies. But as I read on, I caught on to the very simple complexities that I'm certain that I would have ignored on my own.

I also appreciate that this was given as a free gift. Thank you, Paul Bowden,. Thank you.

Toyota Yaris Venza Sedan Roof Racks Crossbars
Toyota Yaris Venza Sedan Roof Racks Crossbars
Offered by APGONLINE
Price: $129.00

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY - HAPPY - HAPPY, October 10, 2014
I really am happy with this very inexpensive solution for my problem. The Crossbar Racks were supposed to be mounted in a temporary fashion - but I choose to drill a bunch of holes and make them a permanent fixture on my Toyota Yaris.

I have only one use for them: they must carry a 22" X 45" (30 pound) solar panel when I go camping. Retired, I plan to go a lot. I'll only leave the solar panel on the rack during camping trips. At home, for security, I'll bring the Solar Panel inside. I secured the Roof Rack Crossbars well enough to safely leave them on 24-7 They look sharp. I've no other plans for their use, but you never know.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR COPYCATS: On the road the panels are faced up. I camp with the car positioned sideways to the sun (North/South) and slant the panel to catch maximum light. (Secure with padlock) Electricity is stored in a high capacity sealed battery. This way I can have hot meals anywhere - without making any kind of fire. A tiny 1.5 Liter pressure cooker, microwave oven, and pan fry cooking, are all no problem.. (Note a metalized insulator cloth can maximize heat retention around hot food filled utensils for even more fragile cooking.)

Biota Botanicals Bioxsine Series Shampoo for Thinning Hair for Normal and Dry Hair, 10.1 Fluid Ounce
Price: $8.49
7 used & new from $8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE COMES WITH A PRICE, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this natural shampoo, but I can't verify that it has all the benefits claimed. It does a god job cleaning my hair and stimulating my scalp, I even let the shampoo clean my face and neck. It does no damage to this elderly reviewers hair or skin. But I am 76. A meaningful improvement of my decently cared for skin and hair would be almost a miracle.

Still, it really is a nice product, and it may even improve the hair and scalp of some users. I would give it 5-STARS except for the price. I can't afford pricey luxuries..

Opteka LP-E12 LPE12 2000mAh Ultra High Capacity Li-ion Battery Pack for Canon EOS M M2 Rebel SL1 100D DSLR Digital Camera
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: $7.95
2 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I THINK THESE ARE SAFE FOR CAMERA USE, September 28, 2014
I have owned other batteries exactly like these, yes, same brand. They still hold a good charge (like new) after more than a year of use. This is typical for all lithium camera batteries I've used. Performance makes them widely known - without my recommendation. It may be of greater importance that the batteries be obtained from reliable sorcees. I got this one from 47th Street Photo, they've been in business for years.

Fotodiox Pro, All Metal Black Camera Hand Grip for Canon EOS M (EF-M) Mirrorless Digital Camera with Battery Access
Offered by fotodiox Inc.
Price: $29.95
3 used & new from $27.85

4.0 out of 5 stars ON HOLDING ON, September 28, 2014
Helpful for my big hands, but adds nothing to comfort. I'll keep it, and keep it always on the camera. It is as advertised, and I like it well enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20