Profile for David Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Craig RSS Feed

Dorman 749-320 Front Driver Side Replacement Power Window Regulator for Hyundai Sonata
Price: $56.63
32 used & new from $46.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this instead of buying from any Hyundai dealer!, May 17, 2014
Greetings,

This part appears to be an exact Hyundai replacement part. It has a Hyundai logo stamped into the metal and a holographic Hyundai sticker. I'm guessing that Dorman and the other replacement company TYC are just buying these from Hyundai in quantity and reselling them for a smaller margin than the usual rip-off mark-ups you get when buying dealer parts. Also, you can get these same parts from a number of other on-line replacement auto parts suppliers. I suggest you go with whoever is cheaper. I purchased from Amazon even though I found one or two slightly cheaper places.

That said, this part is slightly different than the original as other reviewers have noted. And guessing again, I'd say that it is just a case of Hyundai revising the part for whatever reason. The differences are small. Holes for the wire-tie downs for the cabling harness are round rather than oval, but the regulator came packaged with replacement wire ties that fit the holes. No big deal.

Also, holes for the two rubber access plugs for getting to the glass mounting bolts are smaller in this part than in the original. The rubber plug for these are actually large, two-part deals with a grommet and a mating plug that's molded onto the grommet with a rubber hinge, and you fold the plug into the grommet. But the holes on this window regulator are too small for grommets to fit. One reviewer suggested covering the hole with tape and I almost did that. But there's a better solution; just cut the plug free from the grommet, and it turns out that the plug will then fit into the hole on its own! The plug might be a hair too large for the hole, but just push the center in a bit and the whole thing will become concave and then form a perfect fit! Again, no big deal.

Finally, as another reviewer notes, the packaging is not good. The box from Hyundai is not adequate for shipping on its own, yet that's the way Amazon ships it. The bracket for the arm rest is sharp and does indeed end up poking through the box during shipping. There should have been some foam protection for this or the whole box should be placed in another box. Even so, my part was undamaged in shipping.

Ah, and the speaker. It's true that the speaker is pop-riveted in place, but it's not difficult to drill out the aluminum rivets. One reviewer suggested that you need to replace the speaker with an aftermarket one. Nonsense. Just drill out the four rivets and get some sheet metal screws. I had trouble finding large enough ones in my junk box but did eventually. I'd say you need at least #10 by 1/2" screws but you might actually want #12 screws.

If you are handy and patient, you can do this yourself much more cheaply than a dealer would, but it's not a fun job.

There are you-tube slide-shows showing the process. I had trouble removing the old regulator because my window wouldn't roll down, and you need to roll it down a couple of inches to gain access to the bolts that hold the glass in place. And, I had trouble realigning the replacement unit into place. You can see in the photo the white plastic alignment fingers sticking out. These go into blind holes in the door and it took me a while to get this right. There's also an electrical plug for the door lock that's hard to reach and hard to disengage until you realize that you have to press on the wire hoop that releases its latch. I suggest you have an inspection mirror and flashlight handy. You do not need to remove the door lock despite what youtube says. All in all, it's doable if you want to save money. If you're not handy, nor patient, nor cheap - then - go to a dealer and let them rip you off. You'll pay dearly, but won't endure the frustration that we cheapskates do!

...Thanks, for reading, Dave

Samsung BD-E5400 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung BD-E5400 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player (Black) (2012 Model)
Offered by electronics101deals
Price: $77.90
33 used & new from $35.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor built in software equals poor user interface, unresponsive remote, and stalled streaming, January 1, 2014
Greetings,

I normally try to be balanced when writing reviews. But this product drove me crazy until I finally replaced it with a Sony that is working much better.

My main complaint is that the unit often stalls when streaming netflix and the only way to revive it is to unplug/replug the power cord. I'm a computer programmer so I understand a little bit about embedded systems, and can infer after using if for a year that the problem is poor programming of the unit's microprocessor - the firmware. And no, the problem is not with my network, I've been all through that troubleshooting route. (My new Sony unit works fine on the same network, as do my other networked devices).

I've allowed the unit to upgrade whenever it detected new firmware from Samsung, but it never makes any improvement.

I also very much dislike the touch sensor buttons. There are only four of them - power, eject, play/pause, and stop. They are located on the top of the unit and difficult to see in the dark and have no tactile feedback - you can't feel them. You can grope around for them in a dimly lit room, but just come near one of the buttons you didn't intend to touch and that's it - you've ejected your DVD or cycled the power. Manufacturers seem to think touch-controls are the greatest things, but they are not good for a user interface in a device like this. Give me real buttons with tactile feedback any day!

Finally, the on-screen user interface, menus, and remote control. Push a remote button, and wait. The unit is very sluggish to respond. The remote has a separate Netflix and Pandora button. Push one by accident and whatever your trying to do is on hold - until the Netflix or Pandora application finishes loading and initializing over the network. There's no way to interrupt this process. Very frustrating! Try to pause a Netflix video and be prepared to wait. 20, 30, 40 seconds - maybe a minute before it pauses. Try to rewind of fast-forward, same thing. Very frustrating! The menus for playing video from a USB device are slow as well, but not as bad as the streaming operations.

Overall, I say stay away from this. Samsung may make nice smart phones and TV's, and the hardware may be fine, but this unit is hobbled by crummy firmware.

InkOwl® - 4 Refillable Cartridges for EPSON T1261-T1264 #126 with 4x120ml USA pigment ink - for use in Stylus NX330, NX430, WorkForce 60, 435, 545, 630, 633, 635, 645, 840, 845, WF-3520, WF-3540, WF-7010, WF-7510, WF-7520
Offered by InkOwl
Price: $62.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, good price, July 22, 2013
The order shipped quickly and arrived on time.

My Epson cartridges were near EOL but still working fine. So I printed a test picture for comparison before swapping cartridges.

I've refilled other printers over the years, and find that filling the new cartridges requires care and some patients. No matter how careful you are, there's likely to be some amount of splatter. I put the cartridges in a old dish to catch any leaks. But overall it went smoothly, and upon inserting the new cartridges the level indicators were reset to full.

I really like the fact that the Epson cartridges do not contain the print heads, and these cartridges are essentially ink tanks. Just be careful not to ever let your ink run completely dry so as to not clog the print heads. Despite printer manufacturer's attempts by "chipping" the cartridges for single use, when it comes down to it you should be able to refill your own ink. I totally agree with InkOwl's philosophy on this and appreciate that they've re-engineered the chips/ink level indicators.

One design flaw is the sharp syringes. The instructions warn you to be careful and that the kit might contain sharp syringes that could damage the delicate membranes within the cartridge. I was careful and had no problems, but InkOwl could avoid the issue entirely by supplying dull syringes.

Next, getting the cartridges working. I wasn't surprised that the first few nozzle checks showed problems. But after three cleaning cycles with the nozzle test still having problems, I was getting worried. I decided that if the problem is air in the cartridge, that one solution might be to just let it sit. I had to mow the lawn anyway, so after a couple of hours I returned and the results of the nozzle test was fine. So, letting it sit was a good idea.

Quality: I printed the same photo that I printed earlier with the Epson ink. At first glance you can't tell the difference. But the image quality is not as good as the Epson cartridges. Blacks not quite as deep and colors not quite as saturated, and slightly "different" hue. Yet, I hate being ripped off by the printer companies and for typical usage I think the trade-off is well worth it and the quality is acceptable. If I really need impressive prints, I'm still likely go to a photo service just as I would have with the Epson cartridges. I don't expect a inexpensive home printer to give "impressive" results. I suspect if you're willing to put in some time experimenting with the color setup of your printer software and doing a bunch of test prints, you could improve on the color correction.

The price is way better than the rip-off prices Epson gets, but I'm sure InkOwl is still making a handsome profit on this ink. The cartridges are made in China, and probably the ink too.

I say this refill kit is a "buy".

Dorman 911-604 Toyota Vacuum Switching Valve
Dorman 911-604 Toyota Vacuum Switching Valve
Price: $29.56
48 used & new from $23.53

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fine, December 12, 2012
This is fine. It solved the check engine ODB II code in my 2000 Rav4. Why pay for expensive OEM parts? Well, it probably is not as high quality as the Toyota part, and I gave it 4 stars only because it is not OEM, but I know the dealer parts are way overpriced and I refuse to be ripped off by them. Time will tell if the part holds up but really, it seems fine.

I cleaned the EGR valve which improved performance (definitely worth doing), I replaced the vacuum modulator which made no noticeable improvement (but could be a problem on your car), and finally this part fixed it. But the vacuum modulator and this switching valve combined came in cheaper here at amazon than buying either one at Advanced Auto, so why not replace both? The VSV is a common problem from what I read, and I spent a lot of time paying attention to symptoms of when the car would run rough or surge. I'm pretty much convinced that this VSV becomes intermittent at a certain temperature just below fully warmed up. So static testing doesn't guarantee it's good. Just go ahead and replace it if doing the easier stuff fails, and you'll probably be successful fixing your car.

By the way, this part is very difficulty to replace on a 4WD version of the early Rav4's, but it can be done if you have lots of patience. Search the on-line forums at Rav4World for tips about accessing this poorly placed part. My post is the one from "RavingDave".

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, December 12, 2012
Very cheap, not very sophisticated, but it worked for me to read and reset the codes, and that's all I need as a backyard mechanic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 11:04 AM PST

Dorman 911-609 EGR Vacuum Modulator
Dorman 911-609 EGR Vacuum Modulator
Price: $15.24
34 used & new from $15.24

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fine, especially for an older vehicle, December 12, 2012
This worked fine for my 2000 Rav4. I usually go to Advanced Auto to avoid paying the high cost of OEM toyota parts, but this was half the cost of Advanced Auto even with their on-line discounts. If you have a newer vehicle and prefer overpriced OEM parts, go for it, but this worked fine for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price - so far, November 12, 2011
For the price you can't go wrong - or so it would seem. The battery is working fine in the first week. I'm a little dubious about how long it will perform well though. I'll update this review in a few months.

As others have noted, the color is not a perfect match for the iBook. It's a light shade of gray rather than brilliant white. But this is a minor point. The charge indicator LED's are a little different that the Apple battery, but that's no big deal either.

But, the battery does not fit flush with the bottom of the computer. It protrudes by a few mm or so. You can push on the battery gently and it will sit flush in the computer, so it's not that the battery is too thick.

I wondered what the problem was? Comparing the original battery to this shows them to be almost identical physically. But the slot on the original battery has a slight interior bevel, so when you lock the battery in place, the tab on the computer causes the original Apple battery to be pulled in by those few mm and make a flush fit. In this replacement battery, the slot has no bevel. That's the difference. A minor change in the molding of the plastic. It's not a big deal, but just a reminder that this is a cheap knock off.

In any case, it does what it does, and so far is working as a new battery should.

3.0 out of 5 stars I ordered glass, but got plastic, October 3, 2008
A friend loaned me this great coffee press. It's the best coffee brewing system I've found, but more time consuming to use and clean up. Please note also that 8 cups is wildly optimistic. That's four-ounce cups. I real life, you get about two good 10-12 ounce mugs of coffee.

At the time I ordered, the item was described on Amazon as having a glass beaker, but the one I received was plastic.

Some may prefer this because it's unbreakable; I was disappointed. I specifically wanted the glass one because I trying to avert plastic's that might leech chemicals into food. The plastic version also differed in that filter screen was held together with some plastic components, whereas the glass version uses all metal parts (with the exception of the lid).

I ended up returning the item (which sours the whole on-line shopping experience) and buying a glass version at a local retailer instead. One where I could verify I was getting the glass version that I desired. I'm very happy with it and use it daily.

So, if you want to order this item from Amazon, please double-check that your getting what you want.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 5:37 AM PST

Old Dutch 2 Quart Decor Copper Hammered Teakettle With Wood Handle
Old Dutch 2 Quart Decor Copper Hammered Teakettle With Wood Handle

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice kettle, poor hardware and workmanship, December 7, 2006
This copper kettle is pretty to look at, and ok for the price. But I can see why some pots cost much more. This pot is cheaply made.

I'm the type who usually buys cheap kettles at the grocery or department stores. The typical whistle type. It's just a kettle for heating water after all. But those department store kettles always drip while pouring and this drives me crazy. I decided to buy a nice copper kettle (no whistle) with a nice spout that wouldn't drip and that would be attractive.

But I didn't want to pay $100 or more for a kettle. What I wanted was something that was beautiful but would be used to actually heat water (and that means, removing the lacquer coating, which took a couple of hours).

Actually, the kettle itself is nice. The hammered finish is attractive and the spout is nicely shaped and functional. It's soldered to the rest of the pot with skill.

The problem is in the hardware and the workmanship used to attach the handle. There are a four screws that pass through the kettle and are soldered in place from the inside (presumably with lead free solder!), such that the threads are exposed for the handle hinges to attach to. The whole inside is then nickle/tin plated. On my kettle, one of these screws was soldered in place crooked, leaving not enough thread to capture the brass cap nut, and the other screws were barely long enough. As a result, the handle doesn't fit well on the hinges and the hinges look cock-eyed.

The angles on the brass handle frame, when attached to the wooden handle, are such that the spacing at base of the handle is too wide to attached to the hinges properly. The handle has to be "coerced" to match up with the hinges.

The brass cap nuts are really steel with a cheap plating of brass that was flaking off at the bottom of the nuts.

All of this became especially evident when I disassembled the hardware in order to remove the lacquer coating, as directed by the minumal instructions. This in itself was a messy, smelly job. It would be nice if a version were sold that had no lacquer coating.

In the end, I had this pot cleaned up nicely and re-assembled. It's pretty, and I use it every morning. But on my next trip to the hardware store I'll be looking for better nuts and thinking about ways to attach the hinges to the kettle more securely.

I only have this one sample. I expect that since the screws were attached by hand, the quality of the workmanship would vary. You may buy this and find the hardware and assembly are adaquate. And as I say, the kettle itself is quite nice. A little copper polish once a week and it looks great.

Good luck.