Profile for twofourseven > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

twofourseven RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Shure M97xE High-Performance Magnetic Phono Cartridge
Shure M97xE High-Performance Magnetic Phono Cartridge
Price: $72.61
41 used & new from $63.53

3.0 out of 5 stars SHURE quality isn't what it used to be, April 8, 2009
I will say the M97xE sounds fine for a $50 - $60 cartridge, it just isn't built as precisely and solidly as cartridges I purchased 20 years ago -- Stanton, Pickering, and, yes, SHURE. If I'd paid full price for the M97xE I would have returned it to Amazon for a refund.

Fortunately, the parts of the M97xE that are not built precisely were not the parts that impact its setup and sound. The molded body was lopsided, with some measurements being off by as much as 1/16 of an inch. A cartridge is supposed to be a piece of precision equipment, so is it unreasonable to expect the entire cartridge to be symetrical?

Fortunately, the stylus mount portion of the body was aligned so I was able to mount the cartridge in the headshell with no problems.

I'll just have to learn to not look at it too carefully because it still looks lopsided.

Again, the sound quality of the M97xE is impressive, the cartridge just looks cheap and shoddy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2010 6:02 PM PDT

Seiko Men's SKX779 "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Stainless steel Watch
Seiko Men's SKX779 "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Stainless steel Watch
Offered by K.G. Company
Price: $399.00
2 used & new from $395.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes an impression and tells time, too!, November 10, 2006
I must confess that I bought this watch for two reasons -- one practical and the other...emotional. On the practical side, I need a tough watch that can take everything I can throw at it while kayaking, mountain biking, doing yard work and any other activity, and this watch has stood up well. It cost half of what my Seiko Perpectual Calendar did, weighs less, is 100 percent stainless steel (no irreplacable plastic/rubber parts like the Perpetual Calendar has). Because the Black Monster is a self-winding mechanical watch it is not as accurate as my battery-powered Perpetual Calendar. However, the Black Monster won't need to be sent in for service every three years to have the battery replaced. Now, the emotional reason for purchasing this watch. I'm not a flashy guy but I like the way a quality watch turns people's heads. I've had people wearing a Rolex eye my watch enviously, then work up the nerve to ask me what it is. When I tell them "a Seiko diving watch" it starts a conversation about the active lifestyle I lead and the fact that, unlike a $5,000 Rolex (which I believe most people own purely as a status symbol), I'm willing to wear my Seiko all the time and not worry constantly about damaging it. Attractive, practical, functional, well-made sums it up.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2006 3:05 PM PST