Profile for Alex Chanfeld > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex Chanfeld RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 2.0 Micro USB Charging/Sync Cable For Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC, Motorola, LG, PS4, Xbox one (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA

4.0 out of 5 stars i must have got a defect? (UPDATED), December 7, 2013
i must have got a dud... cable feels durable but the micro-usb end is jacked up somehow and doesn't hold a firm charging connection; it's useless. i mean look at all these great reviews, can it really just be so rarely defective? for 8 bucks i could just buy another one and not think twice, but my butthurt sinks in since the cable is marketed as having a 2 year warranty... i can't track down frieq's support information for the life of me. i asked sellers for help but lowerpriceUSA says since it's amazon fulfilled they are technically not the seller, amazon says they are not the seller though and to contact lowerprice USA, so all i get is a runaround and now i'm just giving up. 0/5 experience.

UPDATE:
on 12/16 i got a new cable. lowerprice USA came through for me. it was still a bit frustrating that it took a bad review to really get noticed, but also encouraging lowerprice usa will listen to customer feedback and make good on the 2 year warranty. still never found frieq, i think lowerprice usa is the only distributor or something, but anyway it's a nice cable and they do honor the warranty so i'll update for 4/5. thank you very much!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2013 3:59 PM PST

SKIDPROOF! Sticky Pad Dash Mount Smart Phone Iphone
SKIDPROOF! Sticky Pad Dash Mount Smart Phone Iphone
Offered by Mid Atlantic Outdoors
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.88

2.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T STICK; TRY USING IT WITH ANOTHER NO-SLIP MAT, November 22, 2013
the bottom isn't sticky at all, but i'm using it combination with a "spider-mat" pad and as a set it works pretty well. on it's own this product would fly all over the place, but if you know ahead of time and don't mind buying a second product im actually very satisfied with the result.

adidas Men's Se Daily Vulc ? Suede Lace-Up Fashion Sneaker,Collegiate Royal/Tech Grey/Light Onix,9.5 M US

3.0 out of 5 stars not as comfy as my "neo" branded campus, June 18, 2013
i have no clue what neo adidas is all about. i think it's named after the rapper? or keanu reeves from the matrix? moving on: i was shopping for adidas shoes and bought some "neo" campus sneaks. those are 5/5 star shoes. look cool, feel great, still wear them even tho they are dirty. they seemed to be a big poofier, softer, and so i expected the same out of this shoe.

now this shoe does look great. i love the blue color. its dope. but they are thin and light on padding. i feel cramped if i wear them all day, so they sit on my shelf looking fresh while i'm kicking around in scuffed/dirty neo campus's. i would not recommend this shoe as daily gear, but they aren't awful either.

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound
Price: $99.99
97 used & new from $73.00

5.0 out of 5 stars best headset i've ever owned, June 18, 2013
i've owned a few logitech headsets in the past. i always went with cheaper $30-$40 price ranged wired headsets. they were generally a bit smaller too. it led to discomfort after a few hours, and wires all over the place, i caught these on sale for $80 bucks, yet i can still wholeheartedly recommend them at the current sticker of $109.
Pros:
- the headset itself is wireless; after years of wired headsets i enjoy the freedom immensely. i despise cable management.
- large comfortable earcups, easy to adjust, padded "over-the-head" bridge makes for comfortable long sessions.
- great sound!
- 8-10 hour battery life is legit.
- included logitech software is great, it really adds to that premium-product feel.
Cons:
- 7.1 emulated sound leaves something to be desired, specifically in some games the effect ends up cutting out dialogue (far cry 3 was a major offender). i just keep this mode switched off. it still sounds superb
- charging base is a little weird - maybe it's just because i'm a pervert but i hate how it looks on my desk, i can never find a good mutual cord length (the extra cordage does spool back up into the base rather nicely). all that cable management off your head ends up on your desk... and i can see the dongle being easy to lose; all in all a bit cumbersome, but not worth taking points off the score.

HDE USB Wireless Receiver compatible with Xbox 360 Controllers for PC Gaming and Steam Platforms
Offered by HDE
Price: $11.99
7 used & new from $8.59

3.0 out of 5 stars well, it works., June 18, 2013
thanks to the top starred review on this product with proper install instructions. i would have returned this out of frustration otherwise (i did build my own desktop but i can't install a freakin' usb accessory?). also i'm not sure if i'm the only one with this issue but i frequently have to re-install the driver. it doesn't "stick" which is very annoying when you just want to boot up and get into a game. but what can i say? when it works, it works just fine, easy to sync a paddle to it... part of the fault is on MS, the driver and software haven't been updated since 2009, but at least this didn't end up in the trash can.

Atlantic 33935701 Gaming Desk
Atlantic 33935701 Gaming Desk
Price: $99.88
30 used & new from $99.88

4.0 out of 5 stars nice upgrade from ikea-ware, June 13, 2013
got this desk just today to replace a pretty standard small ikea desk (i think it costs about half this one). i def am feeling the upgrade.

the reviews are right that assembly is kind of jacked up; holes don't always line up perfectly and i had to bust out my power-drill for some of the add-ons. all in all though it took under an hour to build by myself.

the desk itself comes in right at 40 inches without the speaker stands, which i saw another reviewer note. however 40" is as much space as my setup allows, so it's literally perfect. however beware if you're expecting a 50" table surface. yes, the speaker stands add about 4.5" on each side. the monitor stand is a good height for me, and my wrists rest comfortably on the table surface... but this will be more subjective.

it's comfortable, sturdy, the controller rack holds 2 xbox paddles perfectly snug. the drawer is kinda loose and i am bumping it, which makes a loud bang. hopefully i just get used to that. my only other complaint is that i wish my PC tower fit between the table legs on the side; my layout is tight so my tower ends up in my footspace. that's more of a fault in my apartment than on this desk though. i'll update my review if this thing doesn't hold up, but i'd say for the price range i'm satisfied. go for it.

VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
Offered by iSHOPusa
Price: $1,299.99
12 used & new from $780.72

5.0 out of 5 stars New tv for the holidays - great set, especially for the price., October 19, 2012
These are first day impressions. Haven't spent too much time with this set. I was upgrading from a 6 year old 42" Hitachi Plasma set. The Hitatchi still looked pretty great, but I've been convinced for months, obsessing over waiting for the right deal. I was sure that I needed an LG or a Samsung; the two top dogs (imo) with a great selection of mid-high range sets within my budget ($1500) There were plenty of similar prices for quality sets; anything 55" + TV set within the last year, some nice frills to boot was on the table.

The timing of this set's release was just too perfect. I wasn't even considering a vizio, but all the sets by Samsung and LG are already 6+months behind). And Vizio deserves credit for really stepping it up. I saw the review on cnet and gizmodo and was quickly sold. It looks and feels like a spiffy new high-end television. Also going from 42" to 60" is more impressive than it may sound. The set itself also damn thin and not too heavy. Especially compared to the smaller hitachi.

It's worth repeating, I had a negative connotation with Vizio as low end, bargain TV's from walmart. But I'm truly impressed with the feature set.... loads of inputs, wi-fi capabilities, netflix and amazon prime apps (total snap to set it all up)... i'm still discovering more eatures as I play with it. As soon as I threw the set on I fired up the on the Step Brothers blu-ray it was noticably crisper than my old 1080i set.

Now I have some minor nitpicking to do. Not dealbreakers, but just thoughts. For one, he stand does not swivel. My Hitachi had this swiveling stand, and it was a great feature depending on how many people were viewing. Also I hate the smooth motion settings. It just looks strange to me, like everything turns into a daytime soap. Thankfully I can turn it off. I can see it being nice for sports games, but movies and most tv shows throw me off with the movement. My buddy was saying he likes it better, so I guess that's gonna be a personal thing. I keep it set off. Also, the remote is not backlit. For all those buttons on there, it would have been great to make it easy on the eyes when all the lights are out.

Menus themselves are rather deep with settings and features, yet intuitive to get to the simple stuff. I love that you can browse amazon prime on the sidebar without entering an app. This means whatever else you're watching changes aspect ratio and continutes to play, while you freely browse new content. I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of features and settings, but it's not difficult to change some basic picture settings and keep it simple.

There's no other set at this price point, this solid, this new and with so many features. It's worth looking at, and I predict it will be a big seller in the holidays.

I'll update my review again as I play around more. Still figuring stuff out.

I can't believe I spent over $2300 on a 42" plasma and only 5-6 years later, sets like these are not only better but like half price. Also i was jazzed this tv was 30% under my budget. This set is a steal for $1000. Great timing Vizio.

***updates***

one week later - still happy as can be. no buyers remorse. several friends are considering purchasing the same exact set. i am convinced this product will keep me happy years down the road.

some questions to other ppl who bought this set (sound off in the comments) :
- any thoughts on using a soundbar? gizmodo [...] just ran an article on top four under $300 and the top choice was a vizio soundbar for $225... worth it? speakers are pretty good as is, just want psuedo surround... i still have a sony receiver and 5 pc speaker with 5.1 dolby setup but honestly it's just a little cumbersome these days.
- any previous vizio owners; do they update the built in apps often? would love to have HBO Go on here ;)
- what defines HD on the netflix streaming? this might just be off topic, as it's probably relative to the netflix app more than the set... it looks pretty good, but i definitely see some rough pixels here and there. pressing info just says "XHD"
- is there a way to lock the settings? my son keeps on turning real motion to mess with me and it's the worst.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 11:01 AM PST

KaysCase Two Piece Detachable Multiple Angle View Leather Cover Case for Google Nexus 7-Inch Tablet Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (Black)
Offered by Kay's Technology
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars what a waste of money., July 25, 2012
OK this case is awful. It's two pieces an outer "book shell" and inner tablet sleeve. It snaps in with a button (like a metal snap button that protrudes from the back so it doesn't lay flat. It has an extreme swivel when attatched to the outer shell and is uncomfortable to use. Trying to use it as a stand is also a joke it still needs to be propped up against something to hold its own. Save ur money look elsewhere for a nexus case.

I didn't have high expectations for the price but other reviews were at least decent. I'm here to say this case disappointed big time and I doubt I can return it because I added some Velcro to two pieces to help with the swivel factor.

Sigh...

Price: $27.00
60 used & new from $18.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Great port; old gripes stil remain., June 14, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
These titles are a great port to the vita; looks awesome, runs great, and the controls remain intact. That's my main gripe though, the controls are still kind of clunky by "modern day" standards that we may take for granted.I know these games aren't that old, but they are starting to show a little age IMO. You have to awkwardly press like 3 buttons to pop a shot from around the corner of a box/wall and it's not very elegant. I often mess up and due to the nature of touchscreen/smaller controls it's extra-awkward. I am playing on easy and I'll still foul up trying to shoot enemies in first person mode.

If you can come to decent terms with the controls (I'm managing) these games are great for their story-line, the extra content goes a long way for replayability, and it's great to have MGS on the go. If, like me, you never were great with MGS complex control scheme you will have an even tougher time on the portables controls. However if you're looking for something you'll keep on playing with your vita (and us Vita owners do got a long drought ahead of us in terms of major releases) these are worth a go. I'd also say it's not worth having if you've already bought these games on 2+ platforms unless you're dying to have it on the go, it's just more MGS than anyone needs.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2012 12:43 AM PDT

Gravity Rush - PlayStation Vita
Gravity Rush - PlayStation Vita
Offered by Misc Store
Price: $19.19
64 used & new from $13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Game lives up to the hype., June 12, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Should u buy a vita for this one game? No. If u own a vita though this game is essential to ur collection. Smooth controls, great graphics, fun pick up and play style while still in depth. I don't like using the touch controls fortunately they are optional for the most part and this game has traditional button alternatives. This is the type of game vita owners want to show off a "console-quality" type game. I have been playing for a few hours now and I will definitely play through the story a few times.

Page: 1 | 2